• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: datamine reveals Pal that looks like Mewtwo as Pokémon plagiarism accusation saga continues

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me this no different than this...
j23sL8RCAO7dHqinKioeipkr59hXL8m1R11CIDzt-kRImrenAma2na7GShN0K7BI7oFhQ2O28QNcE1H7aVwZ3DHq0NW0l-oF0fSMfVvWsVJ6Y7PypD0
unearthed-trail-of-ibn-battuta-ec3d8a69-1092-4d67-8f25-03724875a6e-resize-750.jpg

You can argues they are not
sarcasm-sign.gif
exactly the same but it doesn't change its blatant shameless copy.

MiguelItUp

You're not looking at the right Mewtwo tho. Trying to fool us? Look at the mega evolution in op.
No, I saw that this was an image used in an article, I'm not trying to "fool" anyone, I don't know dick about Pokémon forms other than basic stuff, lol.

Okay, while more similar, what I said still goes for this image.
9DLPHgsWj9MWvPZwtSyQLo-1200-80.jpg

There are similarities, and there are differences. But what I said still remains IMO. Imagine all the "plagiarized" zombies out there in all the games that exist, lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Mewtwo Netflix version.

Wouldn't go that far, these are very obviously trying to mislead costumers.

Palworld to Pokemon is more comparable to what Immortals Fenyx Rising and Genshin Impact are to Breath of the Wild.
At least those games came up with own unique characters designs, this it’s shameless copy, again I’m not saying they should get shutdown for it but it makes them look creatively bankrupt and cheap.

Fake

Unless Game Freak wants mega evolutions back to the franchise.

Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun was the last time they used Mega Evolution. After that they always try to push stupid news mechanics like Dynamax and Tera Form.

Guilty_AI

At least those games came up with own unique characters designs, this it’s shameless copy, again I’m not saying they should get shutdown for it but it makes them look creatively bankrupt and cheap.
Genshin impact didn't take character design (as much, certain enemies still look similar), but it did have a lot of blatant copies of animations, world/level design and even soundtrack.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Genshin impact didn't take character design (as much, certain enemies still look similar), but it did have a lot of blatant copies of animations, world/level design and even soundtrack.

damn-maurice.gif

I had no idea, I never played Genchin Impact.

Ribi

I love how its a plagiarism saga when the only company it should matter to isn't the one pulling this up instead it's a bunch of sweaty pearl clutching pokepals

Can't wait for dragon Ball z to sue for copying Frieza

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
These accusations are becoming more stupid by the day.

Was it ever a secret that Palworld was inspired by Pokemon? Unless they're actually stealing assets, there's absolutely nothing illegal (or wrong) about a game being inspired by another game.

Presumably Nintendo, TPC, should have the experience/know how to make something way better anyways since they're the original creators and know the concept the best. There's no way a bootleg made by 3 people would be better than the official pokemon game...right? lol

RayHell

Palworld should start paying those fanatics, they get incredible visibility because of them while exposing how Pokemon suck for years now.

Danjin44

These accusations are becoming more stupid by the day.

Was it ever a secret that Palworld was inspired by Pokemon? Unless they're actually stealing assets, there's absolutely nothing illegal (or wrong) about a game being inspired by another game.
Look I’m not saying they are not allowed to this but this crossed waaaaay beyond simple “inspiration” it just looks downright copying them.

Fbh

Palworld has made me realize the internet is apparently full of 2 types of people:
Great-Value-Twist-Shout-Chocolate-Sandwich-Cookies-14-3-oz_01fb5c0d-b10a-471b-920e-60f92a05acdf.c7768df5e21328a2f65022c2f5bdbdcb.jpeg

"OMFG how dare they copy Oreos, Wallmart should get sued into the ground for this. I can't believe anyone is allowed to make these round black cookies with a white filling except for Oreo, it's just not fair!!!!"

"I don't know what you guys are even talking about, I can't see the similarity to any well known product. Are these supposed to be chips ahoy knockoffs or something haha?"

Saber

Gold Member
Palworld has made me realize the internet is apparently full of 2 types of people:
Great-Value-Twist-Shout-Chocolate-Sandwich-Cookies-14-3-oz_01fb5c0d-b10a-471b-920e-60f92a05acdf.c7768df5e21328a2f65022c2f5bdbdcb.jpeg

"OMFG how dare they copy Oreos, Wallmart should get sued into the ground for this. I can't believe anyone is allowed to make these round black cookies with a white filling except for Oreo, it's just not fair!!!!"

"I don't know what you guys are even talking about, I can't see the similarity to any well known product. Are these supposed to be chips ahoy knockoffs or something haha?"

Funny sidenote, we have here in Brazil a totally not a rip-off called "Negresco", which is the same thing.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

T4keD0wN

This whole palworld situation is getting ridiculous and baseless unless someone provides a video of an actual developer exporting pokemon assets, editing them and then packaging them into a public release of Palworld. There is not much to talk about until that happens, even if they were inspecting actual pokemon assets in an editor while creating their own ones from ground up in another window it wouldnt be a big deal.
Could the first game that made good looking army soliders sue all games after them that have similar soldiers?
Why stop there?
Lets find the first game that had human characters and call every game that came after plagiarism.
Lets do the same with the first game that had objects that resemble trees, dragons, buildings, windows or vehicles. These thing make about as much sense as going after palworld, but people only seem to target these devs. I wonder why.

Last edited:

Codes 208

DBZ clearly plagiarized Frieza. Also cell flys and only has three toes as well in his 1st form. Bandi better send a check over to Nintendo asap
i know youre joking, but dbz was first by nearly a decade. If anything, mewtwo is a freeza clone

Hell, as far as game pop culture goes, super sonic just happened to appear in a game less than a year after the first super saiyan transformation and no one batted an eye. Funny how that works.

The only reason why people care now is because pokemon actually has competition again (something that hasnt really happened since yugioh and digimon stopped giving a shit)

There are definitely pals that are blatant ripoffs but at this point who cares, the gameplay is an ark clone, not pokemon

Samsung did the same things to Apple iPhone with its Galaxy phone.

They copy them so good, they had to pay Apple... Now they are the best android phone n marketing.

Dis

Im going to make a pokegame in space and call it.

Space Civillian.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I think at this point every country has an Oreo knockoff lol
Here we have "Triton"
images
I

Now I'm kinda curious about other country's versions of Oreos. Gonna start image searching to find out. I hope places I've never been, like Czechia and Estonia, have killer Oreos.

i know youre joking, but dbz was first by nearly a decade. If anything, mewtwo is a freeza clone

Hell, as far as game pop culture goes, super sonic just happened to appear in a game less than a year after the first super saiyan transformation and no one batted an eye. Funny how that works.

The only reason why people care now is because pokemon actually has competition again (something that hasnt really happened since yugioh and digimon stopped giving a shit)

There are definitely pals that are blatant ripoffs but at this point who cares, the gameplay is an ark clone, not pokemon
Thats what makes the joke funny 😁.

Im enjoying the hell out of this game with friends but im also realistic. It LOOKS a hell of a lot like Pokémon but PLAYS nothing like it. I agree with everything you are saying.

MiguelItUp

Well, I think it’s just shameless. It’s basically copying someone’s essay, then changing the words. So it doesn’t look the same, but it’s essentially the same shit. Legally tho, they should be good.
Oh totally, I think everything about Palworld is, and I don't think people would disagree. I mean, the Pal trapper is a ball, and the capture animation basically wiggles the same as it does on Pokemon from what I've seen, lol. That's just one thing, there's so many other things. But much like you said, it doesn't look the same, but it's essentially the same. But it not looking the same is the kicker, so they may not ever be approached as a result. Unless they find a gigantic red flag that was literally lifted from one to the other.

Yerd

Did you know Oreo is a ripoff of of Hydrox?

O7Ig35W.jpg

Holammer

The derivative design is blindingly obvious, but does that matter in a court of law?
No it doesn't. Capcom sued Data East back in 1994 because they claimed Fighter's History looked too similar to SF2 (art & mechanics). They lost because of a precedent set in 1988 when Data East sued Epyx (and lost) because they had published International Karate on 8-bit systems and it was similar to Data East's Karate Champ.
As long as your game in distinct enough not to be confused with the original and it's a matter of trademark law, your game is safe.

This is a good thing, imagine a world where you couldn't borrow an element from another game with out paying license fees left and right. Your game features horizontal scrolling? Time to pony up and pay Konami. Is that Parallax scrolling? Irem wants a cut.
The early wild west in the market and the precedent set by those cases make it possible to actually make games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom