• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go field test datamined

ITT: "I only played the first gen or two until I "grew up", so obviously the entire rest of the series is shit"

The phenomenon of "genwunners" no matter the franchise never ceases to infuriate me. Pokemon, Digimon, Power Rangers, Transformers, you name it. Whenever they fell off the bandwagon is precisely the moment the series went to shit, coincidentally. And in Pokemon's case since you have a whole bunch of people that took part in it because of the early boom, you have a big subset of "Fans" that hate 80% of the series.

Gen 1 has some bad pokemon, it has some good pokemon, and it has some great pokemon, just like every Pokemon generation. It's just especially frustrating to those of us that didn't hop off the Pokemon train once it was no longer the "in" thing to see Nintendo/Game Freak/TPC cater and pander to a demographic that doesn't care about the majority of the series.

I dont agree, I havnt seen any posters claim they only bought red/blue/yellow. Unless your trying to portray those who buy every pokemon game better then those who have skipped a few.

I dont agree, I havnt seen any posters claim they only bought red/blue/yellow. Unless your trying to portray those who buy every pokemon game better then those who have skipped a few.

I won't presume to know the inner minds and experiences of everyone here, but in my experience, what I said tends to ring very true. If someone says they only know/care about the first gen I think it's reasonable to assume that they probably didn't play past that. Considering that when you play the games, you have to remember Pokemon and their typings in order to progress, you'd remember later Pokemon even if you hate them just by virtue of playing the game.

And to be completely honest, yeah, I probably do consider people who kept on the Pokemon train to be better fans than those that didn't. I liked a lot of shit as a kid, but I don't consider myself to be a fan of all of those things, just the crap I kept up with.

Makes sense that they're saving the good ones for later and getting the boring, ugly, and nostalgia-driven ones out first. Good decision.

ITT: "I only played the first gen or two until I "grew up", so obviously the entire rest of the series is shit"

The phenomenon of "genwunners" no matter the franchise never ceases to infuriate me. Pokemon, Digimon, Power Rangers, Transformers, you name it. Whenever they fell off the bandwagon is precisely the moment the series went to shit, coincidentally. And in Pokemon's case since you have a whole bunch of people that took part in it because of the early boom, you have a big subset of "Fans" that hate 80% of the series.

Gen 1 has some bad pokemon, it has some good pokemon, and it has some great pokemon, just like every Pokemon generation. It's just especially frustrating to those of us that didn't hop off the Pokemon train once it was no longer the "in" thing to see Nintendo/Game Freak/TPC cater and pander to a demographic that doesn't care about the majority of the series.
Here's the thing.

You hardcore guys that never fell off the bandwagon; you're going to play this shit anyway regardless of the generation they picked. Even if you say you won't I assure you it's only a vocal minority that loathes Gen1 so much that they'll refuse to touch it. A vocal minority that will also be absolutely dwarfed by the amount of casual fans that will be pulled in with the nostalgia card that is Gen1.

Fans that have stuck through the whole time? They can afford to make you guys wait. You've stuck it out this far, so odds are you'll put up with choices like these and end up playing the game regardless. And if you don't? Well you'll end up buying the next mainline game anyway, so it's no real loss to the company. Ironically, the growth in number lies in reeling in the people that "grew up" and left the series behind back into the franchise. Like I said earlier, the casual Pokemon fans would have been overwhelmed by hundreds of new creatures that they have never seen before, crippling the ease of access. Don't pretend ease of recognition isn't a factor here. Because like it or not, far more people will be able to name Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur over Froakie, Chespin and Fennekin. Gen 1 is the safest bet as business decision on a new game of this type that is forced to pick from a 20-year roster of generation lineups.

wanders

Here's the thing.

You hardcore guys that never fell off the bandwagon; you're going to play this shit anyway regardless of the generation they picked. Even if you say you won't I assure you it's only a vocal minority that loathes Gen1 so much that they'll refuse to touch it. A vocal minority that will also be absolutely dwarfed by the amount of casual fans that will be pulled in with the nostalgia card that is Gen1.

Fans that have stuck through the whole time? They can afford to make you guys wait. You've stuck it out this far, so odds are you'll put up with choices like these and end up playing the game regardless. And if you don't? Well you'll end up buying the next mainline game anyway, so it's no real loss to the company. Ironically, the growth in number lies in reeling in the people that "grew up" and left the series behind back into the franchise. Like I said earlier, the casual Pokemon fans would have been overwhelmed by hundreds of new creatures that they have never seen before, crippling the ease of access. Don't pretend ease of recognition isn't a factor here. Because like it or not, far more people will be able to name Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur over Froakie, Chespin and Fennekin. Gen 1 is the safest bet as business decision on a new game of this type that is forced to pick from a 20-year roster of generation lineups.

👏👏👏👏👏

Maximo

hahahahaa fuck outta here

meat-is-back-on-the-menu.gif

Gen 1 is best Gen.

T.O.P

Banned
Here's the thing.

^^^^^ so much

PSOreo

I guess I'm an outsider. I can't keep track of all these new pokemon. The OG 151 is super dope IMHO.

Completely agree. Could just be limited due to it being a beta but I'd be totally down with it just being the original lineup. I'm not adverse to having the other generation appear or added later but this makes perfect sense for a wide audience or gaining nostalgia points with people who have stopped playing years ago. Would have been awful if it was just the last new batch from X and Y.

Edit (Beaten and more detailed explanation)
Here's the thing.

oti

Banned
Wait what, some people don't like Gen 1? How can you not like Gen 1? But Psyduck is Gen 1. You guys are weird.

Nightbird

Wait what, some people don't like Gen 1? How can you not like Gen 1? But Psyduck is Gen 1. You guys are weird.

Gen 1 is boring to me now. It's been revisited a lot, I mean the only gens you couldn't visit Kanto in were Gen 5 and 6, and considering that Kalos feels like a Kanto remake, it only leaves Gen 5.

You can only experience a certain thing so much until you get tired of it.

Kurita

Half of the designs are boring as heeeell. Really, even when I was a kid I thought there were only a handful of cool monsters.

It's the 20th anniversary of Gen I
This game's release was planned as a part of the celebration of Gen I
The reveal trailer for this game featured Pokemon only from Gen I

People are shocked the game will initially contain Pokemon from Gen I

I mean I'm most probably not going to buy or play this game, but I'm glad it's only gen 1, could not give a single shit about any pokemon after that.

Harmen

Am I the only one excited only the Gen 1 is available? They are the only ones I know.

No, love it. And I assume later gens will follow.

I am one of those guys who fell off after gen 2 and have no connection whatsoever with all those new creatures (I did play some of the DS games).

I love how my two favorite franchises are Pokemon and Star Wars and I loathe talking about either of them with others for the same reasons.

Pokemon needs its own TFA so people have something new to talk about. Hopefully Pokemon Go does that.

As someone who has played a ton of ingress, I look at this and see Ingress with Pokemon.

If you come to this game with the expectations of a Pokemon game, you are going to be unhappy.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
you guys are worried about only gen 1 when you're gonna have to rack up a heap of frequent flyer miles in order to actually catch half of these pokemon

KeRaSh

Haha, and here I thought focusing on the original 151 Pokemon (at least in the beginning) would be something everyone would be happy about. I personally don't get the hate for the best gen.
:p

Kinsei

Banned
you guys are worried about only gen 1 when you're gonna have to rack up a heap of frequent flyer miles in order to actually catch half of these pokemon

That's why having more would be good. It would let people who can't travel still rack up a decent amount of Pokemon.

That's why having more would be good. It would let people who can't travel still rack up a decent amount of Pokemon.

You are going to have to do alot of driving and walking to capture locations, especially of you live in a suburban/rural area.

I highly suggest everyone who is interested in this game should go and play Ingress for a few weeks. It's is 100% free with no mictotransactions. It will give you a much better framework for what this game is going to be.

I could have sworn gen 1 only was confirmed. I guess it was just heavily implied by the trailer, considering it only showed gen 1 pokemon.

I'm sort of surprised at the reaction. They'll probably add in more as time goes on.

Imagine they stealth release pokemon from other gens out into the wild and people start finding them without warning. Could be exciting.

Top Bottom