• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go field test datamined

Progress isn't always a good thing. The Pokemon past gen 1 are largely forgettable. I choose quality over quantity.

It isn't ignorance when I most of the Pokemon since gen 1 failed to make an impression enough for me to bother remembering them; its preference.

Whether they're "forgettable" or not is entirely subjective. This fanbase is made up of millions of people who like mons across multiple generations. It's a bit ludicrous to have a game that brags about letting you roleplay as a "real" trainer and celebrate a 20 year long legacy and yet only the first generation is getting spotlight. It should be pretty obvious why people would be put off by that.

I think people are assuming this is for the hardcore. Only having Gen 1 at the start gets nostalgic 20 somethings to install it. They might keep playing after they add 'new' Pokémon.

Hardcore fans will play regardless.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Am I supposed to feel bad for liking the first gen of Pokemon? People really seem to not like when others like that.

Nah it's cool if you prefer gen 1 Pokémon more, heck my favorite Pokémon is Charizard.

I think how they did the Pokémon April fool jokes was better as they mixed Pokémon from gen 1-5 to create a listing of 151 Pokémon, so that all fans are pleased.

The trailer had nothing but gen 1 Pokémon so it was clear that they were aiming at the gen 1 crowd, which was fine with me as I will be over there playing a real Pokémon game.

Who

Banned
Do you guys think that GO will interact with, in any shape or form, Sun & Moon? Amiibo? Pokemon Stadium NX ?

Should it? If so, how?

Worst gen only? That sucks. Hopefully it's just for the beta.

j0IvNX2iBd3q0.gif

kennyamr

that was a great gen, my fav and best for me :3 so it's cool they are at least starting with Gen 1... but I won't get the game anyway so I really shouldn't talk.

The Lamp

Progress isn't always a good thing. The Pokemon past gen 1 are largely forgettable. I choose quality over quantity.

It isn't ignorance when I most of the Pokemon since gen 1 failed to make an impression enough for me to bother remembering them; its preference.

Your statements were absurd. You insinuated that negativity here toward there only being 1/5 of the Pokemon in existence available has to do with being young.

Just because you can't remember more than 151 Pokemon doesn't mean people should celebrate with you that there are less options for gamers in a Pokemon game.

I'm not even going to delve into the implication of post-Gen 1 Pokemon content not being "quality", considering Gold/Silver are largely regarded as one of the best video game sequels of all time.

And yes, actually, not knowing Pokemon = literally the definition of being ignorant of Pokemon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem to have much familiarity with the series past the content from 20 years ago. Considering the sales, popularity, reception, and general consensus of Pokemon games since 1998, it doesn't really seem to be that you value "quality" as much as you think with these games, you just think people should have started ignoring the series with you 20 years ago.

wwm0nkey

Do you guys think that GO will interact with, in any shape or form, Sun & Moon? Amiibo? Pokemon Stadium NX ?

Should it? If so, how?

IIRC it will be in some shape. maybe pokewalker 2.0 (which is kind of what this is when you think about it)

Oh no I can't find my favorite creepy anthropomorphic pokemon or my favorite caterpie clone or my favorite home appliance pokemon. I refuse to pay any money for this thing that doesn't cost any money.

That Pokemon based on home appliances is one of the most creative Pokemon in the series. It also opened doors to unique type combinations that would have been awkward to try and make a Pokemon for (like Grass/Electric)

chepu

This will be like the series?

we'll start with 151 pokemon, then we'll get others as time comes.

If you pitched this whole idea to me when I was a kid I would have bursted into a NO WAY THATS AWESOME mode instantly.

Thinking about it with my inner child like mind, it hopefully will be awesome.

New York subway confirmed to have exclusive Pizza Rattata.

This sounds good, and it'll be fun to have a game that tracks steps and what not with a nice incentive. Only issue is how much battery this is going to drain if I keep the app on passively.

L95

That Pokemon based on home appliances is one of the most creative Pokemon in the series. It also opened doors to unique type combinations that would have been awkward to try and make a Pokemon for (like Grass/Electric)

It's an electric ghost dude who gets into appliances to screw with people. Which is a fun and standard concept with ghosts, I don't get why people always get upset about Rotom's forms lol

So no Ice Cream pokemon? What about Trubbish, the garbage pokemon?

There should have done different generations in each region. Since we are US/NA we should get generation five since that gen takes place in America. Likewise Europe would have Gen6 and 1. Japan gets 1,2 and 3

well not quite but majority of our Pokemon should be gen 5

Timeless

Gen 5 is the only gen that comes close to gen 1 for quality of Pokemon designs. Each generation has great designs but 1 and 5 have the fewest number of bad designs.

Then there's everyone assuming Nintendo, who likes money and reusing old content, isn't going to eventually put the rest of them (or the best of the rest) in the game.
Only the original 151 unfortunately?

Unfortunately?

That's a fucking blessing in disguise! Could you imagine having to deal with nearly 800 monsters out in the field, a majority of which you'll never catch? And are mostly filler anyway? Not even Nintendo can cram in that many in their own side releases. People wanting all of the Pokemon, even half are being deluded. It would be a logistical nightmare.
Quoted for truth.

Honestly happy they went with OG rather then randomly picked pokemon, we have in other spinoff games.
Not sure why people get upset.

daxy

And here I thought everyone was always going on about how OG Pokemon had the best designs. Is Johto is the new hotness now? I can't really get behind most of the ones in the later generations.

ohlawd

How many people would "nope" out of it if it had generations 2-6?

bye to the 4-5 of them. the vocal minority in the Pokemon fanbase are so fucking awful

I didn't say it in my old post but the gen I'd jump in would be 3. if they're adding Pokemon by the generation, I'd skip 1 and 2 and wait for 3.

Illucio

Banned
Why are people complaining that just the first 151 Pokemon are in?

Isn't this a good thing in terms of first release for nostalgic purposes? I'm sure they're adding all the other Pokemon into the game, this is beta for petes sake anyways.

ITT: "I only played the first gen or two until I "grew up", so obviously the entire rest of the series is shit"

The phenomenon of "genwunners" no matter the franchise never ceases to infuriate me. Pokemon, Digimon, Power Rangers, Transformers, you name it. Whenever they fell off the bandwagon is precisely the moment the series went to shit, coincidentally. And in Pokemon's case since you have a whole bunch of people that took part in it because of the early boom, you have a big subset of "Fans" that hate 80% of the series.

Gen 1 has some bad pokemon, it has some good pokemon, and it has some great pokemon, just like every Pokemon generation. It's just especially frustrating to those of us that didn't hop off the Pokemon train once it was no longer the "in" thing to see Nintendo/Game Freak/TPC cater and pander to a demographic that doesn't care about the majority of the series.

ITT: "I only played the first gen or two until I "grew up", so obviously the entire rest of the series is shit"

The phenomenon of "genwunners" no matter the franchise never ceases to infuriate me. Pokemon, Digimon, Power Rangers, Transformers, you name it. Whenever they fell off the bandwagon is precisely the moment the series went to shit, coincidentally. And in Pokemon's case since you have a whole bunch of people that took part in it because of the early boom, you have a big subset of "Fans" that hate 80% of the series.

Gen 1 has some bad pokemon, it has some good pokemon, and it has some great pokemon, just like every Pokemon generation. It's just especially frustrating to those of us that didn't hop off the Pokemon train once it was no longer the "in" thing to see Nintendo/Game Freak/TPC cater and pander to a demographic that doesn't care about the majority of the series.
So much truth in one post.

Top Bottom