• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go field test datamined

Galang

Banned
Wow so they're only including the generation with the most basic and boring monster designs? I'll pass until they update it with the rest.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm happy about Gen 1 only.
Weird to see the negativity here about it though I guess most here are young enough that their first entry to the series was later gens.

Nope, just that most people continued playing after gen 1 so they have attachment to the newer Pokémon and feel that they rightfully deserve to share the spot light with the original gen 1 as without them the entire Pokémon series would have died.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Weird to see the negativity here about it though I guess most here are young enough that their first entry to the series was later gens.

According to a recent survey 94% of Pokémon fans are Stunfisk fans. It's not a big shock to see a lot of negativity when signs are currently pointing towards Stunfisk's absence in this game.

sonto340

This is likely to turn off a lot of my friends who just picked up Pokemon with X/Y
I'm so excited to not have anyone to play with.

Most games (both spin-offs and mainline) start with a mix of both new and old Pokémon. That would've been good to me
I can see that, but I imagine that the intended target demo for this game are young adults that grew up with the original gen 1. Nostalgia is most likely going to bank them more profit than scaring them away with creatures they've never seen before.

I'm sure through events and updates, they'll roll out newer ones too, this is essentially V1. That they managed to squeeze in all 151 is a feat in itself.

You still won't be catching most of the Pokemon if you don;t live in the right place or have some deep pockets. There's a ton of filler in the gen 1 dex too ya know.

You're telling me Jynx isn't one of your mains ;)

Pokemaniac

Only the original 151 unfortunately?

Unfortunately?

That's a fucking blessing in disguise! Could you imagine having to deal with nearly 800 monsters out in the field, a majority of which you'll never catch? And are mostly filler anyway? Not even Nintendo can cram in that many in their own side releases. People wanting all of the Pokemon, even half are being deluded. It would be a logistical nightmare.

If they wanted to limit the number of available Pokémon, it should have been a mixture of gens like usual.

I'll be very disappointed with them if they start with the original 151 and don't add the rest later through updates.

The Lamp

Weird? Why should people celebrate ignorance and restriction?

I started Pokemon with Blue in the 90s. Why should people venerate the fact that their only in-game content is 20 years old?

They're obviously going to add the other gens as time goes on. I don't see the problem people seem to be having with them starting from the beginning.

exfatal

Start with the pokemon that everyone is going to recongize smart move imo, then slowly introduce the others. To bad imma have to wait for Chadenlure :(

SnakeEyes

Banned
As someone who hasn't played a Pokemon game after Blue and Yellow, the idea of 151 at launch is fine by me. If more are added later then that's cool, but I don't want to be inundated with hundreds upon hundreds at launch.

Gotta love all the stupid animosity here.

It's s complex project that's the first of its kind for TPC and Nintendo, on a massive platform, targeting a wide array of people, particularly casual fans.

Of course they're going to begin by focusing a particular subset, rather than all 720+ at once. In a beta.

Of course to the subset would be pre-defined, i.e. generation-based.

Of course the generation would be the most famous one, more widely known and recognized than any other generation by a massive margin.

It's all just sensible marketing and logistics. You all are treating it like a "genwunner" conspiracy, holy shit.

There will be more Pokémon, this is just, unarguably, the most logical starting point.

WPS

Yeah these are the Gen VI models without the filter put on them. You can tell by their poses.

Not so much no filter (do I need to hastag that?), but replaced textures. Not only are the colours better, but they appear to be a bit higher res too. You're right that it's the same models though, complete with same idle animations and the same particle effects for fire and gas too, from what I can tell from that image.

No other gens is disappointing (I want to see Gen 6 with proper colours!). I hope that's not the case for long, though for a collecting game I can see why they'd want to start off with a limited subset.

Not so much no filter (do I need to hastag that?), but replaced textures. Not only are the colours better, but they appear to be a bit higher res too. You're right that it's the same models though,

Higher res? Like in terms of poly count? The gen 6 models are already pretty high (10k+ polys each)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This is clearly marketed at genwunners, not sure what we expected here. People who care about Pokemon are looking forward to gen VII, not Pokemon Go.

WPS

Higher res? Like in terms of poly count? The gen 6 models are already pretty high (10k+ polys each)

No, higher res textures. At about that size in XY you'd be able to see the pixels.

I don't think you can be higher res in terms of poly count, I think the term's just higher poly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I always felt Pokemon lost a bit of its charm when it became functionally impossible to "catch them all".

OG Gen I forever.
The internet and breeding made it way easier to get every Pokémon than during the days we had to rely on link cables and different versions.

Pokemaniac

Gotta love all the stupid animosity here.

It's s complex project that's the first of its kind for TPC and Nintendo, on a massive platform, targeting a wide array of people, particularly casual fans.

Of course they're going to begin by focusing a particular subset, rather than all 720+ at once. In a beta.

Of course to the subset would be pre-defined, i.e. generation-based.

Of course the generation would be the most famous one, more widely known and recognized than any other generation by a massive margin.

It's all just sensible marketing and logistics. You all are treating it like a "genwunner" conspiracy, holy shit.

There will be more Pokémon, this is just, unarguably, the most logical starting point.

This is not their typical approach. Usually when working with a subset of Pokemon, they go for a set that's mainly a group of Gen I and current Gen Pokemon (often including enough Pokemon from other Gens to keep evolutionary lines complete).

Just going strictly for Gen I is not something they normally do, and it is as annoying now as it was back the last time they did this for FR/LG.

Crayolan

Weird they're going after the crowd of 20 somethings who haven't played a game since they were kids instead of current generation kids who might actually go on to buy a mainline game.

I like those models better than the ones in Gen VI.

Those are the gen 6 models with some slight alteration. At first glance I thought they may have had better color saturation but then I noticed Parasect is pink instead of red.

True Fire

I'm disappointed that they have the full 150. Pokemon designs started going downhill after you beat the first gym. A purple snake with its name spelled backwards? What is this shit?

250px-023ekansiioea.png

This is golden.

Ivan 3414

Start with the pokemon that everyone is going to recongize smart move imo, then slowly introduce the others. To bad imma have to wait for Chadenlure :(

I don't agree

I don't even think three-quarters of the Pokemon of the 150 will be recognized by the majority of people playing this game. Even with people who played Red and Blue when it came out, I'd bet a good portion have forgotten most of these Pokemon.

They could have mixed it up with the most recognizable and some newcomers and it wouldn't have hurt them at all

Zee-Row

Banned
"IAPs spotted include "ball", "medicine", "food" bundles and "gem" packs. There are 4 tiers."

And this is where my interest ends.

This is not their typical approach. Usually when working with a subset of Pokemon, they go for a set that's mainly a group of Gen I and current Gen Pokemon (often including enough Pokemon from other Gens to keep evolutionary lines complete).

Just going strictly for Gen I is not something they normally do, and it is as annoying now as it was back the last time they did this for FR/LG.
They don't usually launch a high profile game on on mobile with the goal of attracting 100's of millions of people, the overwhelming majority of which are casually interested in the series, either.

In this particular case a solid gen 1 focus, at least very early on, is fairly logical.

Am I supposed to feel bad for liking the first gen of Pokemon? People really seem to not like when others like that.

I'm sure they'll have more later on, but I think it's better to just start off with a complete set.

Cday

Banned
All are the original Gen I Pokemon, unfortunately.

Oh no I can't find my favorite creepy anthropomorphic pokemon or my favorite caterpie clone or my favorite home appliance pokemon. I refuse to pay any money for this thing that doesn't cost any money.

Neoxc

Neo Member
Hopefully it won't be just Gen 1 for the final product. Then again I would like some time to catch them all, so I wouldn't mind updates. :]]

Village

Oh no I can't find my favorite creepy anthropomorphic pokemon or my favorite caterpie clone or my favorite home appliance pokemon. I refuse to pay any money for this thing that doesn't cost any money.
Mewtwo
Weedle
Magnamite

Try again

Am I supposed to feel bad for liking the first gen of Pokemon? People really seem to not like when others like that.

I'm sure they'll have more later on, but I think it's better to just start off with a complete set.
It's because a few generations into the series the people that quit playing for one reason or another early in the franchise started coming back, and decided everything after "their" gen/gens was total shit and only their generation is "real". So the people who continued playing or started later on got tired of it and decided to start saying gen 1 is boring and shit, and anyone who prefers it is just wearing nostalgia goggles, with a bunch of arguments "proving" X gen 1 Pokémon is CLEARLY just as bad as Y gen 5 Pokémon.

Basically, people are incapable of nuanced opinions or understanding varying tastes, so either one side likes total shit or the other does and everyone's wrong and here's an argument why Pikachu is both the best thing ever and all gen 6 are shit, and yet is also the worst shit since Vanilish.

Also, everyone's wrong anyway because Gen 2 is better than everything by far.

Yeah, because Gen 1 never had creepy humanoids or object based Pokemon in its roster.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Weird? Why should people celebrate ignorance and restriction?

I started Pokemon with Blue in the 90s. Why should people venerate the fact that their only in-game content is 20 years old?

Progress isn't always a good thing. The Pokemon past gen 1 are largely forgettable. I choose quality over quantity.

It isn't ignorance when I most of the Pokemon since gen 1 failed to make an impression enough for me to bother remembering them; its preference.

Top Bottom