• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Modders and Devs show evidence that the game copies Pokémon (Up: evidence faked, confirmed as hoax)

LakeOf9

The game itself is great, but the issue is there’s very obvious theft of assets and models.

We can enjoy this game, want better from Game Freak/Pokemon, and still call Palworld out on plagiarism and asset theft. All three positions can be held at the same time.

I hope the Palworld devs replace the models with original designs soon, because the game is great and doesn’t deserve to be mired in pointless controversy like this. But right now, the Palworld devs are absolutely in the wrong.

MirageMew2

No shit. They should investigate the overworld encounter music too, it’s clearly a few chords off BotW too.

You would think all of the Pokemon fans would embrace this new game since Gamefreak can't make a decent Pokemon game. It's right up their alley, you would think they would want to play it, not whine that it has similarities.

This sentiment has to be a meme right? Actual Pokémon players are not sweating PalWorld lol

The overlap between survival sim-base building and crafting and actual Pokemon gameplay is slim to none. Pokémon fans are trying it this week and putting it down the next.

PalWorld has about one thing in common with newer Pokémon games and that’s quite literally just the catch mechanics in Pokémon Legends. I’d even argue it doesn’t do as much as Legends on that front. No baits, different ball types, throwables to slow Pals down, etc. The comparisons end right there.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

You would think all of the Pokemon fans would embrace this new game since Gamefreak can't make a decent Pokemon game. It's right up their alley, you would think they would want to play it, not whine that it has similarities.
This game is literally nothing like Pokémon lol, it feels like half the people going “lol Pokémon/nintendo fans” haven’t even played Palworld.

Palworld is a survival and base building game. Those two genres are literally galaxies away from Pokémon’s turn based JRPG.

Mister Wolf

I'm not going to praise stealing, even if I steal or have stolen myself. It's Robin Hood complex bullshit born out of a victim mindset.

Nintendofans crying again....And now poor poor nintendo has to put some work into theire next Pokemon game and not just do there usual rehases, i say that is a win:)
Lol… Did you really think that Palworld is already bigger than Pokemon and Nintendo is under pressure? Remember that a Pokemon game comes out every year and sells triple than Palworld at full price… This only shows that people loves Pokemons.

LakeOf9

I thought this was a thread comparing Pokeman with this accused copy?

Apoligies. Pokeman is just terrible then.
So you just… posted about a game you haven’t even played and called it better than something else? Without even playing it?

No wonder discussion around this game is so fucked

The game steals Pokémon assets and models. It’s a totally different type of game, but one that stole Pokémon rigs and models for its creature design.

Jakk

I was on the fence between just trying it on gamepass and buying the steam version. Definitely going to buy it on steam now.

LakeOf9

I was on the fence between just trying it on gamepass and buying the steam version. Definitely going to buy it on steam now.
It’s a great game! Definitely worth trying out and supporting. I hope the devs just swap out the models and this controversy is put to rest once and for all.

LakeOf9

Pokemon is still a copy of Dragon Quest, I find it funny and hypocritical of these Pokemon nerds.
Okay, but that has nothing to do with direct theft of assets lol. If this was just a “copy” of the concept, no one would care, no one complained about Temtem or Dokev. The problem is direct asset theft. Your “Pokémon copied DQ” remark is completely meaningless

TheAssist

I mean ...yeah... I dont need some investigation into this, you can clearly see the "inspiration" in any of the trailers. I havent played s pokemon game after the original but still see the games often enough to immediately make out the similarities

Zelduh

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are infinitely better than this garbage, stolen models or not it's not an actual Pokemon game it's a weird survival crafting game for the stream-meme generation of kids to donate to their parasitic social relationships while watching, not actually playing

LakeOf9

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are infinitely better than this garbage, stolen models or not it's not an actual Pokemon game it's a weird survival crafting game for the stream-meme generation of kids to donate to their parasitic social relationships while watching, not actually playing
It’s a great game. It’s nothing like Pokémon. Chill out and touch some grass.

Twinblade

Okay, but that has nothing to do with direct theft of assets lol. If this was just a “copy” of the concept, no one would care, no one complained about Temtem or Dokev. The problem is direct asset theft. Your “Pokémon copied DQ” remark is completely meaningless

b06gibe.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You can fly in Palworld. In Legends you can only glide. No need to spend money on potions either. I can just punch the meat out of Sheep and cook it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So you just… posted about a game you haven’t even played and called it better than something else? Without even playing it?

No wonder discussion around this game is so fucked

The game steals Pokémon assets and models. It’s a totally different type of game, but one that stole Pokémon rigs and models for its creature design.
I have played the game. It's not finished and I have criticized it. Still better than modern Pokeman.

Is there any other angle you want to cover? I've bought 3 Pokemon games for the Switch for me and the kids. They're not as good as the older stuff. I'm not arguing the critical point of finding anything to argue in the side of some copying. I'm arguing that this has potential to be reasonable and that modern Poke is not good.

Last edited:

Dis

Hope Nintendo goes after them, instead of only acting against individuals that make mods or other small things.

Fucking yes

Ubisoft: “People need to get comfortable with not owning their games”

If buying digital isnt owning your games
Then downloading isnt stealing~

Meanwhile

Individual mods nintendo switch.
Gets sentenced to indentured servitude for life. While Mario Wonder hits the shelves after being leaked a week? before release. It becomes the top selling Mario. Is it worth it then to destroy a mans life over this?

Had to get that off my chest

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I have played the game. It's not finished and I have criticized it. Still better than modern Pokeman.

Is there any other angle you want to cover? I've bought 3 Pokemon games for the Switch for me and the kids. They're not as good as the older stuff. I'm not arguing the critical point of finding anything to argue in the side of some copying. I'm arguing that this has potential to be reasonable and that modern Poke is not good.
If you’ve played the game how was it news to you that the two games are nothing alike?

I’m not trying to cover any angle, I’m responding to your posts as you make them lol.

Other than that, as far as your bigger point goes, I agree, no reason or excuse for modern Pokémon to be as bad as it is, and hopefully this lights a fire under Game Freak’s ass (Legends was good tho, they should work on iterating on that).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you’ve played the game how was it news to you that the two games are nothing alike?

I’m not trying to cover any angle, I’m responding to your posts as you make them lol.

Other than that, as far as your bigger point goes, I agree, no reason or excuse for modern Pokémon to be as bad as it is, and hopefully this lights a fire under Game Freak’s ass (Legends was good tho, they should work on iterating on that).
I want to tell you that you're ugly and you aren't defending that.

I do like older games but the series needs a little more inspiration. This game has a way to go and I have given my opinion on this and how I think it needs to do more and is also being pushed too hard. I don't like reading a game that plays like Pal do as well when it's far less finished than other games which get more criticised.

The movement sucks, there's not burrong prompts on PC (GP issue?), and the machanics are clunky. I think it;s great to have a breakout hit but there are so many other games worthy of this that hit the right notes a little bit sooner

SCB3

The game itself is great, but the issue is there’s very obvious theft of assets and models.

We can enjoy this game, want better from Game Freak/Pokemon, and still call Palworld out on plagiarism and asset theft. All three positions can be held at the same time.

I hope the Palworld devs replace the models with original designs soon, because the game is great and doesn’t deserve to be mired in pointless controversy like this. But right now, the Palworld devs are absolutely in the wrong.
Nailed it, its clear copying a stealing of at least the Meshes/Models and tweaking them

That being said, its a fun game and I'm enjoying it, I hope it doesn't get pulled and instead patches in some changes

One dog like animal looks similar to another dog like animal. Not seeing the problem just based off that alone.

Funny to me that people who love Pokémon so much will bend over backwards to try and help that company, as if they don’t already make tons of money. The last set of Pokémon games were garbage anyway, so of course competitors will come out.

There have been so many Pokémon clones over the years. But because this one is blowing up, fans are butthurt. What absolute sheep these people are.

I think it's petty console-warring when so many replies are about Nintendo fanboys rather than whether or not the claims are valid. I hope you people realise you're just perpetuating the thing you claim you dislike.

More tweets from the account below. I get the impression that it's fairly honest comparison of meshes.

However, the most ridiculous tweet is the motivation, which is far worse than console warring.

there is no way to claim one model rips the other, the one in the left is pretty standard modeling topology with evenly distributed vertices, the one on the right used more triangles and tried to put some detail with the mesh so if the vertices are pushed inward it will make a more complex shape

Sakura

Do you not see the difference between copying a concept and *literally stealing assets*?
I don't think some rando's post on Twitter is enough evidence that they are “literally stealing assets". It's not hard to end up with the same proportions if you are using a reference, and I wouldn't consider that as stealing.

Three

People are still going to deny it's pokemon 3d models kitbashed.

Why is there some weird defence of these lifted assets? At least own it. Don't lie about the similarities just being "cute monsters that Nintendo doesn't own."

Last edited:
One dog like animal looks similar to another dog like animal. Not seeing the problem just based off that alone.

Funny to me that people who love Pokémon so much will bend over backwards to try and help that company, as if they don’t already make tons of money. The last set of Pokémon games were garbage anyway, so of course competitors will come out.

There have been so many Pokémon clones over the years. But because this one is blowing up, fans are butthurt. What absolute sheep these people are.
Also, pokémon are based on real life animals, can gaia just copyright them for that ?

Top Bottom