• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Modders and Devs show evidence that the game copies Pokémon (Up: evidence faked, confirmed as hoax)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
b06gibe.jpg

Moneal

Stealing assets directly from another game is illegal.

You're showing artwork that's inspired by something else which is NOT illegal.
People are still going to deny it's pokemon 3d models kitbashed.

Why is there some weird defence of these lifted assets? At least own it. Don't lie about the similarities just being "cute monsters that Nintendo doesn't own."
please show these stolen assets. i haven't seen any thing in this thread or elsewhere to show that. the most recent image in this thread is the biggest reach ever. They even admit they are very different geometrically. When you are making a fin there are only so many ways you can make one that people will understand as a fin. Accusations require proof for people to believe them. Shocker I know. So far the best you got are two wolves have similar proportions and well the fins are different but they gotta be the same.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
please show these stolen assets. i haven't seen any thing in this thread or elsewhere to show that. the most recent image in this thread is the biggest reach ever. They even admit they are very different geometrically. When you are making a fin there are only so many ways you can make one that people will understand as a fin. Accusations require proof for people to believe them. Shocker I know. So far the best you got are two wolves have similar proportions and well the fins are different but they gotta be the same.
I never said it was stolen.
I responded to his claim that it's fair game to steal assets when it's not. It's illegal.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Go On Popcorn GIF

This game is janky as fuck, but so many are thirsty for a good Pokemon MMO that they will try any knock-off, I'm just enjoying the drama and eventual Nintendo interception.

dorkimoe

Tried it today. Having a lot of fun. Never played a Pokémon game in my life. Nintendo doesn’t own the rights to cute animals. Don’t like it nintendo? Then make something of your own

Edit: also I don’t think this is gonna hurt Nintendo in anyway. It’ll be ok Nintendo nerds

Last edited:

Three

They even admit they are very different geometrically. When you are making a fin there are only so many ways you can make one that people will understand as a fin.
If this is what you believe then you're proving my point that regardless of what's shown people would say it's somehow "just a fin" they've drawn or just "cute monsters" they've drawn.

I guess the amount of flowers in the world is so limited that this is them just drawing a bulbous plant with a crown as a hat since there is only so many ways you can draw a flower and a crown on a creatures head, right

GEUL6km-W4-AAg4-EI.jpg
GEUL6km-W4-A.jpg

And that's what I don't understand. What's this weird defence where people lie about it "just being a flower", "just being a fin" , "just being a cat/wolf", "just being a cute monster" when there is some clear lifting from pokemon going on. Just own it.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

If it can be proven that these guys are taking and tweaking assets, that's plagiaristic. Otherwise, it's clear that the salt here is due to Nintendo fanboys being threatened. They don't come out against Digimon like this, didn't care about TemTem and didn't care about this game before now. Pokémon is the most egregious example of the pass Nintendo gets to skirt contemporary standards and quality. This is the first time that's been reasonably challenged.

I do get the sense that the success here is astroturfed (anyone see the five seperate sales articles on Gematsu in the span of 3 days?), but between the fanboyism, the continued AI seething and some truthfully pathetic commentary on Twitter, I know which side of this is more insufferable.

//DEVIL//

All these people playing it.. I feel left out.

I am not a Pokemon fan. I never liked it. I do not like farming shit and breaking trees and stones with a hammer. but I am still feeling left out. lol

PaintTinJr

Tried it today. Having a lot of fun. Never played a Pokémon game in my life. Nintendo doesn’t own the rights to cute animals. Don’t like it nintendo? Then make something of your own

Edit: also I don’t think this is gonna hurt Nintendo in anyway. It’ll be ok Nintendo nerds
In many parts of the world brand infringement could be enough to be an issue for similarities. For instance you couldn't use the same colour scheme as McDonalds with a Similar clown design and menu of similar offerings, and then call your restaurant chain McDouglas in the UK without likely falling foul of brand infringement because you've positioned your product/offering to intentionally piggyback and then substitute theirs, rather than try and create your own brand.

This game being called PalWorld helps them argue uniqueness at a basic level, but if enough things overlap and a judge couldn't distinguish the two products easily then Palworld might have a big problem that might look like Nintendo has the rights to cute animals in games.

MirageMew2

Otherwise, it's clear that the salt here is due to Nintendo fanboys being threatened.

Again, what is this meme comment?

Pokémon is an iconic franchise with over 1000 recognizable designs, and everything good about the monster collection in PalWorld has mechanically already been done better in Pokémon Legends Arceus and will no doubt be implemented again in future entries.

Clearly it’s trendy to say but sans base-building there’s genuinely nothing about this game that outdoes Pokemon’s best (PLA) and resource management/crafting is the absolute last thing Pokemon as a series needs.

Nintendo hasn’t as much as bothered to file for a Cease and Desist yet we have all these self-proclaimed lawyers running defense for them. I urge these people to spend at least a week in law school before offering their legal opinion.

Not my kind of game but i tried it for a few hours and it was surprisingly fun. It reminds me more of a survival game with Pokemon aspects than a clone. Not sure what the benefit to gamers would be if a game people seem to greatly enjoy was suddenly removed from all platforms.

Last edited:

GHG

All these people playing it.. I feel left out.

I am not a Pokemon fan. I never liked it. I do not like farming shit and breaking trees and stones with a hammer. but I am still feeling left out. lol

The beauty of it is that after the initial hour or so you don't need to spend much time farming or breaking things down for materials because you can assign your creatures to do it all for you.

PSYGN

The moral of the story is that it's okay to steal as long as you do a better job with the material.

squallheart

I'm hoping palworld succeeds and I'm going to buy two copies for me and my gf. I haven't bought a Nintendo console in a long time bought the pokemon switch Limited and scarlet. Played the game for a week beat it and it was the most boring glitchy mess ever. How pokemon fans enjoy these un evolutionary releases is beyond me. Palworld is what pokemon should of been minus the guns of course lol.

Eotheod

Go On Popcorn GIF

This game is janky as fuck, but so many are thirsty for a good Pokemon MMO that they will try any knock-off, I'm just enjoying the drama and eventual Nintendo interception.
It's not an MMO. It's a survival craft game with monster catching and max 32 player servers that are peer to peer.
Again, what is this meme comment?

Pokémon is an iconic franchise with over 1000 recognizable designs, and everything good about the monster collection in PalWorld has mechanically already been done better in Pokémon Legends Arceus and will no doubt be implemented again in future entries.

Clearly it’s trendy to say but sans base-building there’s genuinely nothing about this game that outdoes Pokemon’s best (PLA) and resource management/crafting is the absolute last thing Pokemon as a series needs.
Clearly it does need some kind of crafting survival system going by the sale records of Palworld.

Last edited:

Paasei

Apparently the is good and fun. Those who play it, probably don’t even give a fuck about this, lol. I wouldn’t.

Raonak

Banned
I think the main reason pokemon fans are so annoyed is because palworld shows a vision of what a visually pleasing pokemon game could look like.

It validates how underwhelming gamefreak are.

Like it legitimately looks 3 generations ahead of the latest pokemon game. And it'll likely still look better than the next pokemon LOL

And now every subsequent pokemon game is gonna get compared to palworld and it's potential sequels.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The thing I don't understand is, all my pokemon loving friends are on it playing the game. So, I don't even think it's pokemon fans, I think it'd just the new thing for the twitter crazies.

I see comments about animal labour etc....ain't no way that's the pokemon crowd imo.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well if the models were copied, and the game was any good it's over now, Nintendo will bury them in lawsuits for 50 years, take thier houses, thier cars, and thier baseball card collections.

Last edited:

SCB3

Though it is clearly inspired by Pokemon people seem to be missing that its more a cross between BotW/Pokemon/Valhiem more than anything, it stands as its own game, now if they have been straight ripping assets then yea they deserve the legal action.

However being inspired by and creating you're own version is not a crime and is how development happens, see also: Every 2D platformer after Mario or every Soulslike after Dark Souls

Robb

Gold Member
If they plagiarized something and it can be proven, they’ve screwed themselves.

If not, hopefully The Pokemon Company realizes they have some potential competition out there and start to make better games.

It’s kind of fun seeing Pokemon fans go nuts though.

MirageMew2

I think the main reason pokemon fans are so annoyed is because palworld shows a vision of what a visually pleasing pokemon game could look like.

The game looked much better on Unity imo. What we have now is literally every “Pokémon in Unreal Engine” video brought to life.

And now every subsequent pokemon game is gonna get compared to palworld and it's potential sequels.

Pokémon Legends Arceus sold 15 million copies and Palworld is a blatant copy. Nothing wrong with that but nobody’s going to point to Pokémon Gen 10 and say “PalWorld did that!”

Ribi

thats for nintendo to give a fuck about not gamers. There's ways around it anyway and you have to see what nintendo even has copyrighted (certain names and certain likenesses not all their pokemon.

FUCK Nintendo

Fredrik

if they have been straight ripping assets then yea they deserve the legal action.
It’s in early access, I assume they can tweak the models up til the full release to avoid a lawsuit.

But tbh there isn’t much to do about it now, Nintendo would be hated forever if they managed to pull a record-breaking game from the stores and close this little studio who has made something that a big chunk of people love to play. There will be no applause for that.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It’s in early access, I assume they can tweak the models up til the full release to avoid a lawsuit.

But tbh there isn’t much to do about it now, Nintendo would be hated forever if they managed to pull a record-breaking game from the stores and close this little studio who has made something that a big chunk of people love to play. There will be no applause for that.
I don't think Nintendo cares about how that, if they did have legal ground to stand on they would have probably already taken action.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Holy shit. Do these people have lives of their own? Imagine getting upset about a potential feud between two companies, neither of which they work for. Let Nintendo deal with Nintendo's "problems."
Yea imagine getting upset that clowns are making millions from blatant plagiarism. It's disgusting imo. And why does the complaining bother you so much? Coming in here to complain about the complaining is actually juvenile.

CeeJay

The game looked much better on Unity imo. What we have now is literally every “Pokémon in Unreal Engine” video brought to life.

Pokémon Legends Arceus sold 15 million copies and Palworld is a blatant copy. Nothing wrong with that but nobody’s going to point to Pokémon Gen 10 and say “PalWorld did that!
That depends on whether Pokemon starts getting features it didn't have before that are in PalWorld. Everyone copies everyone else and things slowly move forward, this is nothing new even if it does it in such a flagrant manner. It's not that often that we see something truly brand new in a game.

Post war Japan was built up on copying western products before they got to a point where they started to innovate in tech in the 70s and 80s, even Mario himself was born out of a King Kong rip off!

CeeJay

Yea imagine getting upset that clowns are making millions from blatant plagiarism. It's disgusting imo. And why does the complaining bother you so much? Coming in here to complain about the complaining is actually juvenile.
Stop calling Nintendo clowns, its OK to be inspired by someone else work so you can go and create a better product. If there is a legal case then let the lawyers fight it out.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

You would think all of the Pokemon fans would embrace this new game since Gamefreak can't make a decent Pokemon game. It's right up their alley, you would think they would want to play it, not whine that it has similarities.
Because some people have above 50 iq and can do more than consooom latest thing. Grow the f up.

Boss Mog

One thing I've learned is that if Nintendo knows it has a case it will pursue it without any hesitation so either they do and they will or they don't and they won't, it's that simple. Just need a little patience to find out.

SCB3

Nintendo would be hated forever if they managed to pull a record-breaking game from the stores and close this little studio who has made something that a big chunk of people love to play. There will be no applause for that.
Its Nintendo, they wouldn't care, there is 2 companies you don't tend to fuck with, them and Disney

Not that it would stop being playable, AM2R is still around

I get why Nintendo might go after the company behind Palworld.
I will never get the emotional fervor of people with no financial gain or loss in the matter and why they pursue these kind of thing on behalf on Nintendo.

It is just crazy to me.

Top Bottom