• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door [OT]: Princess Peach, can you teach me to feel this thing called love?

Overall I'm super happy with it, and I don't even care about the FPS drop. The only things I don't like are the balance changes and slight alterations they've made, that often-times lead to making the game even easier than it was in 2004. Which is not something we needed. There should've been options to make the game harder, not forced designs that make it easier than ever. So that's been a bit disappointing.

Zelduh

Overall I'm super happy with it, and I don't even care about the FPS drop. The only things I don't like are the balance changes and slight alterations they've made, that often-times lead to making the game even easier than it was in 2004. Which is not something we needed. There should've been options to make the game harder, not forced designs that make it easier than ever. So that's been a bit disappointing.

I don't think there's been any difficulty changes, what are you referring to?

GOnLzWda4AMrB-T

Power Pro

I just finished this version a few minutes ago, and maaann....

they changed the end credits 😕 i know that's silly to be upset about, but i loved the vibe of the originals end credits, and the music was really pretty....this version is just meh...

Reactions: Isa
I beat the game, it's not any easier it's exactly the same
LOL. Ok. I mean you are certainly free to think whatever you want.

If you honestly aren't sure of something, it's ok to just not say anything. Being factually incorrect when you don't even know for sure is an odd thing to do, but whatever man.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed, do you have any specific examples of what to look out for? Tweaked enemy HP or something?
HP balances are unchanged, as far as I can tell. It's just a huge number of little tweaks I've been noticing.

1. The stage upgrades that eventually add fog -- They now rarely, if ever, fog the enemy side. 90-99% of the time it covers Mario + partner side and protects you from damage. And it occurs frequently.
  2. The stage machines that freeze enemies or smoke enemies with fire -- They now only hurt enemies, they do not hurt Mario. The machines do not have any function on Mario's side. In the GCN version, there was an equal chance it could happen to either side of the stage during a battle.
  3. The balance of the battle Bingo has been completely changed. Rarely, if ever, will you get a Poison mushroom bingo. And when you do, it no longer drops HP, FP for Mario + partner in half. It's a smaller percentage. But it's literally only happened to me once, and I'm in the final chapter. In the GCN version, the balance is such that is happens far more often.
  4. The item limit you can carry from the beginning of the game is now 15 instead of 10. The Strange Sack you get in the Pit I won't spoil what it does now, but it doesn't double your item capacity any longer.
  5. The timed action command for guarding and in particular super guarding is absolutely easier to time now. The windows to do it have been made longer, even if just a little bit.
  6. You now get 100 coins when defeating each main boss. And a 50 coin bonus from each sub boss. In the GCN version there was no coin bonus for defeating a boss.
  7. The item merchant who in the GCN version was only ever in Rogueport, he now shows up to sell items in the chapter areas
  8. First Attack badge is now 0 BP, it used to be 1.
A bunch of little other things as well that make the game easier, but I don't want to spoil everything or rain on people's parade. Still a great game, but it's absolutely easier than the GCN version. Anecdotally, I am in Ch 8 and have not died a single time, nor even come close. And it's not like I play the game every year. I've played it maybe 3 times since 2004, and not always all the way through. I've constantly got a full item pouch and never need to use any during battle, whereas in the original you'd always be using them here and there and have spots open for new items. Having to always toss or ignore items because I never need one is frustrating from inventory management perspective.

Last edited:

Hugare

I beat the game, it's not any easier it's exactly the same
It really is

The timing for actions during combat was huuugely increased compared to the original

I've played some of the remake and then started another playthrough of the original. The window for defending and attacking is much more narrow on the original.

Maybe they've done it due to the 30 FPS change compared to the original 60 FPS, but I dont think so. The main reason is probably because Nintendo is making easier games than they used to, nowadays.

Difficulty settings would have been nice.

It really is

The timing for actions during combat was huuugely increased compared to the original

I've played some of the remake and then started another playthrough of the original. The window for defending and attacking is much more narrow on the original.

Maybe they've done it due to the 30 FPS change compared to the original 60 FPS, but I dont think so. The main reason is probably because Nintendo is making easier games than they used to, nowadays.

Difficulty settings would have been nice.
I absolutely agree. I think the one thing the game didn’t need was to be made easier than it was before it already wasn’t a very difficult game. So it is a bit disappointing to me that as hugely anticipated as this remake was for millions of us that there’s no option to be challenged beyond the two new secret bosses.

I rarely ever even need to use the special abilities either. I’m just never having a difficult time in a battle. And if I am, there’s 20 items in my inventory I could use and all the special abilities.

Last edited:
Just finished it, what a great game. I did have a GC back then but never this game. Lmao the trans shit was no joke 2 very small oblique comments by Vivian. Well on to the post game, got shit to do!
Just finished last night too! The changes they made to the credits and whatnot I thought were excellent I just kept watching before I clicked to finish it and save. Also, being able to save after you beat the story and everyone in the game acknowledges the final boss is dead and things are normal in post-game. Like the original, it’s one of my favorite things about the game. Usually you save before the boss and then the game makes you leave the final level to go back to the main areas to finish things left undone. And as usual the final boss is a tough one and I die once because I flub the early parts.

Last edited:
Well darn, here I was thinking I just mastered the game, and you guys tell me it's easier! Either way I like this version much more. Less frustration and I enjoy the timing more for dodges especially. I was able to beat hooktail without the frog mimic badge.
I use it always just because it’s funny to see him lose it during the battle like a whiny little baby

Just beat the Pit. Oh man that was brutal. Haven’t done it in about 10 years and they did not make it any easier in this remake. Phew

PSA I’d strongly recommend waiting until you’ve cleared the story, before trying to go all the way to the bottom. Even then it’s still quite, quite challenging.

Last edited:
Well darn, here I was thinking I just mastered the game, and you guys tell me it's easier! Either way I like this version much more. Less frustration and I enjoy the timing more for dodges especially. I was able to beat hooktail without the frog mimic badge.
It’s easier until the final couple Chs. The final Ch is still no picnic. And the Pit is certainly not any easier, even if you’ve cleared the story first.

Last edited:
Have you not played it? Play it.

They’ve made a lot of small balance changes that make the game easier than the original

What have I been saying? Nintendo has been making everything so fucking easy and ruining these games in the process. Mario RPG? Check. The remake is a joke. Mario Wonder? Would've been amazing had they not nerfed the hell out of all the things that used to give Mario some challenge. Now TtYD is easier than the original ...unbelievable

I've been saying this for months now and was hoping TtYD would go untouched but of course Nintendo had to make it easier.

Without challenge a game is much worse ...simple as that. This isn't just a Nintendo thing it's a trend with most Japanese games in the last couple years and it sucks.

What have I been saying? Nintendo has been making everything so fucking easy and ruining these games in the process. Mario RPG? Check. The remake is a joke. Mario Wonder? Would've been amazing had they not nerfed the hell out of all the things that used to give Mario some challenge. Now TtYD is easier than the original ...unbelievable

I've been saying this for months now and was hoping TtYD would go untouched but of course Nintendo had to make it easier.

Without challenge a game is much worse ...simple as that. This isn't just a Nintendo thing it's a trend with most Japanese games in the last couple years and it sucks.
To be clear I still very much enjoyed my time with TTYD again in the remake, and it does still become quite difficult in post-game, And the final boss is no picnic. I don't think it's worse at all, I just wish they hadn't made small tweaks that did nothing other than make an easy game even easier. It didn't need to be made any easier. But the new secret bosses are extremely difficult so there's that, at least.

Finished the game last week but coming back for some more discussion since people are still playing. Game's as awesome as it has always been, some nice quality of life changes to the warp pipes room and some of the other minor tweaks. Time for a chapter ranking, from best to worst.

Chapter 4
Chapter 3
Chapter 6
Chapter 5
Chapter 8
Chapter 1
Chapter 7
Chapter 2

All were fun, and Chapter 2 was not as tedious as I remembered.

Top Bottom