• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount to remake Dune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982560.html
Berg to direct 'Dune' for Paramount
Posted: Mon., Mar. 17, 2008, 9:00pm PT
Misher producing adaptation of sci-fi novel

By TATIANA SIEGEL

Peter Berg is attached to direct a bigscreen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel "Dune" for Paramount Pictures.

Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce via his Par-based shingle.

Herbert's 1965 novel is a sweeping, futuristic tale set on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which produces the interstellar empire's sole source of the spice Melange -- used for distant space travel. An empirewide power struggle ensues over the control of the spice. Berg would be the latest helmer to take a crack at the property, which spawned a 1984 David Lynch film as well as a 2000 Sci Fi Channel miniseries starring William Hurt.

The project is out to writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book. The filmmakers consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely.

New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced Sci Fi's "Dune" and sequel "Children of Dune," is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John Harrison and Mike Messina exec produce.

Paramount envisions the project as a tentpole film.

Berg and Misher enjoy strong ties dating back to Misher's executive days at Universal Pictures. Misher also produced Berg's second directorial outing, "The Rundown."

Actor-turned-helmer Berg most recently directed the upcoming Will Smith starrer "Hancock." His directing credits include "The Kingdom" and "Friday Night Lights."

Read the full article at:

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Scullibundo said:
It can't be any worse than David Lynch's shitty adaptation. I'm sorry Stinkles.

In before my own HEY FUCK YOU WTF MELTDOWN!!!!!!!!ZOMG CRYCOPTER!!!!!

The new movie will have a worse cast, worse set design, worse acting (cept Sting) worse costumes, worse atmosphere. Everything else might be better.

(strokes signed DVD, and HD DVD)

Stinkles

xS1TH L0RDx said:
OH GOD YES ALL OVER MY TITS!

I will take as much Dune as I can gargle, but this is so weird.

I guess the Weirding Way could get fully Matrixed now. Which might be worth seeing. OK, let's cast this bitch:

Gurney Halleck: STILL PATRICK STEWART, BITCHES
Paul Atreides: Some new kid who's not on the WB
Lady Jessica: Penelope Cruz (BEAR WITH ME)

go...

Stinkles

Toothpick said:
I read the book about 2 months ago and I knew there was an old film, but a new one is way better..

this too.

The old film is badly flawed, but still amazing.

Joe Molotov

I don't know why some people think the Sci-Fi Miniseries is better than the Lynch version. Yeah, it's longer, but everything else about it is worse, acting, sets, even the SFX. It was workman-like, at best, whereas the Lynch version at least had a little pizazz to it.

Stinkles

Joe Molotov said:
I don't know why some people think the Sci-Fi Miniseries is better than the Lynch version. Yeah, it's longer, but everything else about it is worse, acting, sets, even the SFX. It was workman-like, at best, whereas the Lynch version at least had a little pizazz to it.

The Costumes and sets are total shit, but the series has an interesting pace and atmosphere.

Scullibundo said:
It was recently on tv and I tried to watch some of it. My nostalgia for it was strong, but it really is pretty bad. Costumes and set design, cinematography, yes, those are great. But the acting is all over the place, the dialog is terrible, the plot is confusing, WTF was he thinking with those eyebrows, poor SFX, etc. The miniseries was okay, but I just don't think this story translates very well to the screen.

Joe Molotov said:

Because while the 80's version had pizazz, it was edited so poorly (especially the Lynch version, Alan Smithee FTW) the story was near nonsensical. People like the mini-series because so far it's the best adaptation of the book.

Joe Molotov

Stinkles said:
The Costumes and sets are total shit, but the series has an interesting pace and atmosphere.

Yeah, but look at the Sci-Fi Miniseries sets. Especially in the desert, there's several scenes we're they're clearly in front of a blue screen, probably in a sound stage somewhere.

Stinkles

Hopefully this does well. The public deserves to see THE BASHAR MILES FUCKING TEG kill everyone on board a giant starship with his bare hands in four seconds and then escape so he can enjoy a snack.

Stinkles

Gary Whitta said:
Just so long as the remake still has those brilliant cinematic thought bubbles, I'm down.

I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is just upside down lolz.

Ventrue

I liked Dune, but I stopped reading the series when it changed to be about a giant man-worm who had ruled the galaxy for thousands of years. Utter crap.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Mejilan said:
The only thing amazing about that Lynch atrocity is how badly flawed it was, and remains.

No, the costumes in Lynch's Dune were really good. Particularly the stillsuits. Sets were pretty good, too, as were the worms. Visually, the movie was a lot like I had imagined it when reading the book.

But yes, the acting, dialog, music, and pretty much everything else about the movie were pretty bad. I was SO disappointed that the ornithopters didn't have flapping wings.

The SciFi miniseries was pretty much intolerable, but, as a SciFi miniseries, that's to be expected.

I love the book, and wouldn't mind seeing someone FINALLY do it justice. I'm not holding my breath, but if I see a trailer showing an actual wing-flapping ornithopter, I'll probably go see the movie.

Kola

Scullibundo said:

David Lynch's adaptation is most probably one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever. All those fools who read Dune only once or twice will never come to appreciate how good Lynch's work actually was. In parts this is even uncontested by Dune fans. Especially looking at this new adaptation from 2000 (mini-series) there is a heavy contrast between Lynch's version and this abomination. Lynch's movie is way superior, even though the ending is kinda screwed up.

mosaic

go eat paint
What I'd like to know is... Herbert wrote multiple Dune books... why do they keep focusing on just the one? Move ahead in the story!

Rezbit

Paramount: throw money at this to make it worthwhile!

EDIT: Thought I should qualify this. The 80's version has become pretty difficult to watch, and the sci-fi series just looked crappy. That said, both were reasonably enjoyable, but we want to see a big-budget epic version that really floors us.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The DL version is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story makes complete sense, the set design is unparalleled, and it is overacted in an oh-so-awesome way.

Heat beyond heat beyond heat, you sons-of-bitches.

stephendedalus said:
NOOOO!!!! Just give David Lynch some money! Or let Alejandro Jodorowsky direct Dune like he was supposed to!
Motherfucking This.

You don't hire Peter Berg to direct something that requires such a level of imagination. Don't get me wrong, I like his work (Very Bad Things, Friday Night Lights, The Kingdom, Hancock), but an adaptation of Dune seems a tad out of his league. Since Jodorowsky is an old crazy fuck who probably can't get insured, get Alfonso Cuaron. He's not busy with anything right now I don't think. Azkaban proved he could do fantasy well and Children of Men proved he could do amazing Sci Fi.

the Berger is the man.
He can make it happen.

As long as he makes spice = Oil
The empire = Big Oil
The Navigator Guild = House Saudi
Paul = Osama Bin Atreides
Worms = IEDs

Just shoot the fucking thing in Eye-raq

Ventrue said:
I liked Dune, but I stopped reading the series when it changed to be about a giant man-worm who had ruled the galaxy for thousands of years. Utter crap.

Oh man, this. So much this. Herbert had a thing for taking an interesting universe and trying to expand it beyond what's interesting. The first 2-3 Dune books I loved, and the first 2 Destination: Void books were pretty good, but beyond that...

ToxicAdam

Hey, anything that gets a new generation of 14 year olds to read the book is ok with me.

Why do i get the feeling that it's going to be Vin Diesel as Paul Atreides?

v2xr8x.jpg

Giger and Moebius doing art direction!
Man, that is all I could wish for! That and everyone giving props to Lynch for doing what he did with his adaptation. I'm sure he no longer cares though, but screw you guys otherwise, except Stinkles and like 3 others. Shai Hulud, brothers... Shai Hulud.

JayDubya

Banned
The book was absolutely wonderful, so it would be nice to see a high budget and high quality adaptation. You can't do Dune in two hours, though. The relatively low-budget Sci-Fi miniseries did the best job of telling the story that can probably be done, but we'll see. Significant story sacrifices will have to be made for the sake of the extra eye candy of a high-budget, lower-runtime feature.

Timedog said:
The DL version is one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story makes complete sense, the set design is unparalleled, and it is overacted in an oh-so-awesome way.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No. So very much no.

I hate films that are visual companions to novels; if you're going to tell a story, tell the story. The theatrical cut was a butchered, rushed, incomrehensible mess. And sonic guns? Come on.

Templar Wizard said:
the Berger is the man.
He can make it happen.

As long as he makes spice = Oil
The empire = Big Oil
The Navigator Guild = House Saudi
Paul = Osama Bin Atreides
Worms = IEDs

Just shoot the fucking thing in Eye-raq

:/ That is downright idiotic, and would ruin the movie. Paul is Osama? Really? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom