• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

$20. Maybe go to $30 if you like the seller/seller is a collector/condition is fantastic.

Yeah, definitely don't go over $20. I paid $11.50 plus shipping back in July or August for a complete copy of the game; looking now I see lots going for under $20 complete.

It's more of a beat'em up than a action/adventure.
Yeah, Kaze Kiri is definitely much more of a beat 'em up than it is a platformer. I like it, but it's a very expensive game which is also quite short...

Bah, it is just a few bucks. Does not really matter what you pay for a game...as long as you are happy!
If it's just a couple of dollars, sure, but overpaying by $15 or $20? That kind of thing is why retro game prices keep inflating, probably...

Teknoman

Bah, it is just a few bucks. Does not really matter what you pay for a game...as long as you are happy!

Yeah, definitely don't go over $20. I paid $11.50 plus shipping back in July or August for a complete copy of the game; looking now I see lots going for under $20 complete.

Yeah, Kaze Kiri is definitely much more of a beat 'em up than it is a platformer. I like it, but it's a very expensive game which is also quite short...

If it's just a couple of dollars, sure, but overpaying by $15 or $20? That kind of thing is why retro game prices keep inflating, probably...

Yeah, it would've just been 27, but I noticed (a little too late) that the shipping from was 7 bucks expedited.

antibolo

Banned
So I bought Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (Japanese version), it came in a double jewel case but there is only one disc. Is this normal?

There are games on the PS1, Japanese Saturn, etc as well that have dual-jewel cases for single-CD games. It happens with every system that used regular jewelcases as the display case. It's done when you have a manual (or manuals) too thick to fit in a regular jewelcase. SFII' for instance came with two booklets, one a manual and the other a little artbook or something. If not for that second booklet it'd have easily fit (card and manual) in a regular case, but it looks more impressive on the shelf as a dual-jewel, so they sometimes came up with something to fill up space so they could use a bigger case...

I know it was mentioned briefly on the first page, but just wanted to put in a plug for Mysterious Song. It's a Dragon Warrior-esque RPG homebrew for the TurboCD. Really nicely done. They made like 500 copies and a few are still available for sale.

msong-2.png

Teknoman

I think I just saw a review for that on Turbo Views. Might have to look into that.

In other news, just beat Lords of Thunder! Had to cheese the final boss with a barrage of bombs, but it was worth it.

baphomet

I think I just saw a review for that on Turbo Views. Might have to look into that.

In other news, just beat Lords of Thunder! Had to cheese the final boss with a barrage of bombs, but it was worth it.

Defeat is defeat. You had to buy those bombs anyway. Love that game.

On another note i got my tg-16 controller in today. Unfortunately the only game i have is keith courage. It just makes me want to get a turbo duo r so much more.

Teknoman

Defeat is defeat. You had to buy those bombs anyway. Love that game.

On another note i got my tg-16 controller in today. Unfortunately the only game i have is keith courage. It just makes me want to get a turbo duo r so much more.

Yeah, if its one thing older games have taught me recently, use EVERYTHING you have at your disposal. Should help me when replaying recent action games, since I usually end up hording items in Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, DMC, etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I know the PC Engine versions of these games are chaper than their TG16 counterparts. Is there any meaningful differences between the US and JPN versions of these games? For the PC Engine versions, are they all import friendly?

Air Zonk / PC Denjin
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade

I know the PC Engine versions of these games are chaper than their TG16 counterparts. Is there any meaningful differences between the US and JPN versions of these games? For the PC Engine versions, are they all import friendly?

Air Zonk / PC Denjin
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade

Air Zonk is slightly censored in its US release, I also think it is also import friendly. I managed to finish it when I was about 12 :p
You'll lose on the very little story there is, but being a shoot em up the gameplay is unaffected.

baphomet

Picked up a complete copy of alien crush today for $15. Seems to be about going rate, and it was at a local store called level 7 which i like to support so im happy.

It also warms my heart to see an older woman talking about her grandchildren who have all the new systems, but have been wanting to play all the old games lately. She ended up buying starfox 64 and mischief makers for them. Thats an awesome grandma right there!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I played Dracula X.

GAT DAMN

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

HOW DOES A PC ENGINE GAME LOOK THIS GOOD

Yes Boss!

PC-Engine finally debuted on 3DS today. They started with two Hu titles: China Warrior and Gradius.

No way I'll ever buy China Warrior in any shape ever again at any cost so I went with Gradius, a great port of the classic title.

They give three screen options. Afirst option, one-for-one, which is exceptionally clear. A second which is a little wider but a bit softer. And a third, stretched, which is crap and pointless.

They also give you a single save state, full button-mapping and a very PCE-inspired sub-menu colored in a red, white, and dark-grey theme.

Good start!

3616C0BC-7952-4BE9-A444-4691E0FFD0F9.jpg

98B88E74-B051-4518-83E9-81DA9AB355CA.jpg

Celine

PC-Engine finally debuted on 3DS today. They started with two Hu titles: China Warrior and Gradius.

3616C0BC-7952-4BE9-A444-4691E0FFD0F9.jpg
Yes!!!
I feared with Hudson demise we wouldn't get PC Engine legacy anymore.

Merry christmas retrogamers.

EDIT:
Oh and I didn't know you were a girl :p

baphomet

Very cool, im guessing theyre Japan only so far. I wonder if they end up coming out in the states if theyll change them to turbografx models floating around.

But im with yes boss, no chance i would ever purchase china warrior again.

Teknoman

Im gonna get Gradius II CD at some point (glad its still cheap) but I cant bring myself to play Gradius I because of the boss theme :/

What is the cheapest way to get to play cd games?

I have a us tg16

Also any advice on controller extension cables? Looking for a cheap one.

Syriel

So in other words, its much cheaper to buy a japanese turbo duo r than to try and play cd games on a tg16.

Better to buy a US Duo.

CD games are region free.

JPN chip games can be used on a US system with a simple adapter. The reverse is not true.

Only reason to get a JPN Duo over a US Duo is if you're going for a Duo RX, because Street Fighter II.

baphomet

Better to buy a US Duo.

CD games are region free.

JPN chip games can be used on a US system with a simple adapter. The reverse is not true.

Only reason to get a JPN Duo over a US Duo is if you're going for a Duo RX, because Street Fighter II.

I would never buy a us duo. The cd drive is prone to breaking much easier than the jpn duo r or rx. Not to mention you can get a region/rgb modified jpn duo r for much less than you can find a stock us duo for. Plus its not like you cant get an avenue 6 pad to play sf2 on any other duo.

Syriel

I would never buy a us duo. The cd drive is prone to breaking much easier than the jpn duo r or rx. Not to mention you can get a region/rgb modified jpn duo r for much less than you can find a stock us duo for. Plus its not like you cant get an avenue 6 pad to play sf2 on any other duo.

There is no appreciable difference between the CD drives on the units. I have both.

Where you will see a difference is in the caps (the R and RX reportedly used higher quality caps, and the power adapter placement was moved), though at this point any used Duo has a good chance of needing a cap replacement.

Celine

Was searching for the Winds of thunder japanese commercial since I remembered that the image of supposed sequel for PC-FX that was shown on Edge was actually taken from the commercial CG parts.

Magazine scan from pcenginefx.com
facts_rumors_lotfx01.jpg

Screen capture made by me from the commercial:
3M61rzg.jpg

Good god, in these days PC-FX fever returned to me. Must resist...

BTW anybody knows what PC Engine game is it at 3:50?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8410731

EDIT:
never mind, it is Moonlight Lady.

Syriel

Aren't the adapters for playing JPN games on US systems, and not the other way around?

The data lines on the cards are swapped, so the adapters just flip the lines. You'll need an adapter (or you'll need to open the system and build your own line swap).

That must be done for any PCE/Duo/TG16 system.

For JPN systems you must also locate pin 29 on the Hu6280 and connect it to ground. This effectively makes it an "American" system as far as the region protection is concerned.

Japanese HuCards don't have region checks. This is why they work with a simple adapter in American systems.

American HuCards DO have a region check. This is why they will NOT work with a simple adapter in Japanese systems.

I hope that makes sense.

baphomet

Picked up a copy of Splatterhouse today for a decent price from a local store here in CO. Pretty decent game, but about 30 minutes after I got home with it I'm watching the credits roll.

baphomet

I could almost never go past the stage 5 boss :(
I managed to finish the game only twice because of that.

If it makes you feel any better i still cant figure out how to do the slide kick. Only reason i know it exists is because i saw it on an episode of gamecenter cx and the shadow ricks can do it.

wondermega

Screen capture made by me from the commercial:
3M61rzg.jpg

to this day I still have no idea what this is supposed to be an image of. Whatever it is, it makes me realize that I never minded that the PC-FX didn't lead the way for the next path of gaming.

Does my heart proud to see some PCE games on the JPN eShop. Hopefully they'll release some of those titles over here.. hopefully China Warrior won't be among them!

Top Bottom