• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

So, I got a spare copy of Winds of Thunder. No spine card, but it does come with the registration card, some other leaflet and a flyer. I was looking to sell it in the B/S/T thread, but honestly I have no idea what to ask for it, as I don't usually sell games. Any suggestions?

Hope this is the right place to ask.

AmyS

so i made these back in 2011 and i have no clue what to do with them and instead of letting them die in my dropbox i thought.. why not upload them here

File1.png

File2.png

File3.png

File4.png

File5.PNG

File6.PNG

File7.png

File8.png

File9.PNG

File11.png

File12.PNG

some of these went into jquery demos, which can be seen here
test2/
test3/
test4/

i also made this vector image to laser a mac mini case (which i never did).

(red layer shows mac mini dimensions)
File13.png

Those are gorgeous, ganbareneopokekun! Really nice. Did you do any of the SuperGrafx ?

Dug up my TurboDuo the other day and have read about the need to replace its capacitors 'before it's too late'. Currently seems to be working fine, minus a fiddly AV cable.

Any idea where one might get this done?

Extra kudos if you know a place in or around Toronto.

piggychan

Just got my pc engines back from Keith Courage

It took ages for me to get them back as he had to order some parts.

I needed a jailbar mod on both of them plus:

The core grafx was the most troublesome since it was an item I bought off an ebay auction years ago and the seller did some shitty work to it but I couldn't be arsed to complain or give any feedback back then and just accepted that it was a bad sale and that I was going to do some repair on it at a later date.

So anyway I wanted for the core grafx an S-vid mod and to repair the controller port and KC said there was more to it than just a faulty controller.

Your systems are good to go. S-video for the core grafx and jail bar fix in both systems done.

The core grafx was a lot of work for the controller port. Besides the controller port being loose the motherboard portion that held the jack was all cracked up. I was able to solder bridge the parts back together and re wire each trace for the port to its needed location. I also put some two part epoxy on it for safe measure.

He's a man of few words and I'm sure he's backlogged with machines to fix but once you are up, it gets done.

EDIT:
Old and...
draculax2.jpg

new screen of Dracula X hopefully with less jailbars
DSC_0004_1.jpg

Conezays

Everything's finally arrived and all working great. Mentioned this in the Retro AV thread as well but can confirm the RGB EXT cable from fidd_se on ebay and Turbo Everdrive (krikzz) are working without issue. Time to rock!

Conezays

I had a bitch of a time getting the OS file onto my SD card for my Turbo Everdrive. Did you have any issues?

Nope, no issues on that side of things. I did have one error after exiting out of Alien Crush on the TED though. I'll repost from krikzz's forum:

One thing I just ran into though was Error D3. I experienced this upon glitching at the end of score submission for Alien Crush. The first time I got to this screen the game faded to black and froze. Upon reset no files could be found in my TED menus. When playing the game again it didn't freeze at the score screen but after resetting I got garbled langauge in my menus and then the Error D3 screen. Note I haven't seen this screen before or experienced glitches with other games and upon a complete power off the menus are back to functioning as normal. Any help here? I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 16GB microSDHC UHS-1 Card for what its worth. Cheers.

I'll just have to chalk that one up to Alien Crush, the rom, some weird glitch, etc. I haven't been able to reproduce the glitch with any other game so not the end of the world I suppose. I'm loving the system otherwise; Soldier Blade is fantastic!

Edit: Resetting after Final Soldier score screen has frozen it on Disk init... screen. Hmm.

piggychan

I had a bitch of a time getting the OS file onto my SD card for my Turbo Everdrive. Did you have any issues?

no issues although I read first that you cannot put all the roms into the same folder so I split things up into japanese and usa games etc.

The only problem I've only had is that the HES musics files while some play perfectly about 80% play at incorrect speeds where it's just too speeded up

How is it that Tengai Makyou has gone 27 years without a fan translation?

Like I can handle playing it in Japanese but I just expected it to exist.

D.Lo

Because it's on PC Engine, a console with basically no sales or exposure outside of Japan. Very few substantial transitions of any PCE games.

You could always sign up to the PCEngineFX boards and ask about a translation there. Xanadu 1 and 2 are currently being translated, and Valkyrie no Densetsu just got an english patch around this time last year.

Iirc it's something Victor Ireland (Working Designs, GaijinWorks) has always wanted to do, but one way or the other it just never materialized.

So it's not like there was a complete lack of interest to bring the game to the West.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Iirc it's something Victor Ireland (Working Designs, GaijinWorks) has always wanted to do, but one way or the other it just never materialized.

So it's not like there was a complete lack of interest to bring the game to the West.

What is he up to these days anyways?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice to see he is still doing his thing. I remember when he relaunched Sunsoft in the west back in 2009 or something, including Blaster Master Overdrive. While that game wasnt anything special, at the time I had very high hopes for him joining the retro-revival. Too bad nothing ever came out of that.

New to the TG16/TD game. Always wanted one but couldn't afford it as kid. Snagged one on EBay with the original box in great condition from the original owner and a couple games. Works with my newly acquired TED too. My only problem is that it needs a recap. The original owner didn't even know about capacitor issues and admitted the thing was just sitting his closet for 15 years. Who do you all recommend? I paid a premium and want to have a trustworthy tech do the recap.

New to the TG16/TD game. Always wanted one but couldn't afford it as kid. Snagged one on EBay with the original box in great condition from the original owner and a couple games. Works with my newly acquired TED too. My only problem is that it needs a recap. The original owner didn't even know about capacitor issues and admitted the thing was just sitting his closet for 15 years. Who do you all recommend? I paid a premium and want to have a trustworthy tech do the recap.

From just a little ways up this page.

He's in the US but I highly recommend KeithCourage on facebook and the PCFX forums.

https://www.facebook.com/turbografxfan/?fref=ts

He did an amazing job with my system and others on this forum.

Conezays

Ugh, was having a nice run on Soldier Blade until my controller seems to have stopped working in level 5. Now I can't even use any of the buttons except for the d-pad. Very odd; not sure if the controller is at fault or if there's something wrong with the system.

Ugh, was having a nice run on Soldier Blade until my controller seems to have stopped working in level 5. Now I can't even use any of the buttons except for the d-pad. Very odd; not sure if the controller is at fault or if there's something wrong with the system.

Nooooooooooo! Sorry to hear man. Controllers ain't cheap anymore either.

piggychan

Made sure it's connected properly?

I normally open up the controllers and give all the contacts and stuff a bit of a wipe otherwise it might also be the controller port..

Conezays

Thanks for the replies and sympathy.

Yeah, I'm going to open it up later and check it out although I did go ahead and order a Hori Commander 2-button controller; not so bad at $30 USD shipped. Side question: should I have gotten the Fighting Commander? I see lots of praise for that one too. Regardless, if it's just the controller having issues I won't be that upset, but I'm more concerned it's something weird with the system. All of the buttons (minus the d-pad) simultaneously not working anymore definitely seems odd and I only got this system (and Turbo Everdrive) in the past couple months.

Controller malfunctions denying me a 1CC :p

Conezays

Well, I can confirm after cleaning the inside of the controller (q-tips and rubbing alcohol) that it is indeed working. So glad it isn't something internal with the system or TED. Still seems odd that all 4 buttons stopped working simultaneously but happy the issue is seemingly resolved. At worst, I now have a 2nd Hori Commander controller on the way :p Interested to see how the d-pad compares to the standard pad; would also love impressions on the Fighting Commander pad (or the 2-button) if anyone here has one. I don't really need the 6-buttons as I have Street Fighter 2 on nearly every system imaginable but if the d-pad and buttons are superior it could be worthwhile.

Top Bottom