• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-GAF: Let's Build A Budget Gaming Box

Lhadatt

Let's get this out of the way first: this is about building a new PC that will play games for the next couple of years for as cheap as we can. This thread is not about spending $1500 on a rig, nor is it about getting 3360x2100 resolution and 480 FPS in Bioshock. This rig should remain current (aka "playable") for 2-3 years. As we're cheap bastards, we're looking to build for the now and maybe a year down the line, not to handle what Carmack will want to do 5 years from now.

This thread is for those of us who want to play current and future games on a reasonable budget. My target is probably "midrange" in the market - something that can play stuff like Team Fortress 2/Orangebox games, Bioshock, and upcoming games at a good frame rate and acceptable graphics quality. It's also geared for multi-use with the larger hard drive, DVD burner, and HDMI output on the video card.

EDIT: I will be improving this spec based on reaction from GAF. Keep checking out this first post as I indicate. Together, we shall build a budget PC to last 2-3 years!

Here's what I've got. It's an AMD-centric spec, but let's alter it however we need to for the best machine we can get. I'm not including an operating system in this spec, but it should run XP and Vista just fine.

These are Newegg prices unless indicated. To see the items in detail, go to http://newegg.com and search for the item description I've written here. Alternate items are not counted in the total.

Video: POWERCOLOR X1950PRO512MBAC Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3, $179.99 - $40 rebate [changed 9/30]
- DirectX 9 card
- PCI-E 16x, high-clock GDDR3 RAM
- Higher GPU clock speed than the other 512MB X1950PROs and at the same price
- Alternate: HIS Hightech H195PRF512DDN-R Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16, $179.99 - $40 rebate [changed 9/30]

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (65W) Windsor 2.2GHz, $79.99
- Retail with stock heatsink/fan

Motherboard: ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2, $119.99
- Crossfire, 2 PCI-E 16x slots, looks well designed
- 7.1 onboard audio, Gigabit Ethernet

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800, $109.99 - $47 rebate
- CAS 4, 4-4-4-12, 2.2V

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5, $49.99 - $20 rebate

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0093RU, $79.99 - $30 rebate

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0Gb/s 320GB 7200RPM 16MB cache, $79.99

Optical: Lite-ON SATA 20x DVD burner, $31.99

Floppy: Samsung, $6.99

Total: $733.91 before shipping
Total after rebates: $596.91

So, how would GAF improve this spec? I'm most interested in the video card - is it a good midrange choice? Is there a better option on the Nvidia side?

A Note On Operating Systems
I didn't include an OS in this build. Why? Well, my feeling is MS is going to back down from pushing Vista once it becomes clear the market just isn't going to swallow it. Vista is the new ME. Hence, you might as well stick with your old XP license. If you don't have one, check out Provantage. They sell academic packages of Windows on teh cheap. XP Pro for $75! Vista Home Premium for $60! If you must go Vista, you can find it there for cheap.

xbox_360_main_img_060605.jpg

I beat you by $230

Draft

Intel Core 2 Duo System

Case: RAIDMAX Smilodon ATX-612WBP (with 500W PSU) - $85
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz) Retail - $198
Cooling: included Retail HSF - $0
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (P35) - $92
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 2x1-GB - $65
Hard Drive: WD Caviar SE 200GB (8-MB) SATA 3.0 Gb/s - $54
Video Card: GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB (PCIe) - $160
Monitor: 19" LCD with 5-8ms Refresh - $165
Sound Card: 8-Channel Integrated - $0
Speakers: Logitech X-530 6-Piece Speaker System - $48
CD/DVD-ROM: LG GSA-H62NK 18X SATA DVD Writer - $29
Communications: Onboard LAN - $0
Mouse: Logitech MX310 - $23
Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard - $14
Operating System: Windows XP Home or Vista Home Basic- $76

Total: $1,009

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/10708_3697556__8

I like the Sharky Guides.

M3wThr33

Banned
Lose the floppy drive. No one needs it or ever uses it anymore.

Don't forget about the extra cost for:

speakers
monitor
keyboard
mouse

For KBM, I recommend the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite. The battery life in them is pure fucking voodoo. Logitech shit dies weekly. The MS stuff lasts for about 6-8 months at a time.

Is Overclocking allowed? Because a P35 motherboard (I think some do this by default), will allow you to change the FSB of an e2160 and get a 1.2ghz overclock *without* requiring extra cooling, power supply, etc. Going by benchmarks, this overclock puts you up with e6750 CPUs. The e2160 is an 89$ CPU.

Darkman M

M3wThr33 said:

speakers
monitor
keyboard
mouse

For KBM, I recommend the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite. The battery life in them is pure fucking voodoo. Logitech shit dies weekly. The MS stuff lasts for about 6-8 months at a time.

floppys are shit cheap dude, i threw one in my build 6 months back.

Grayman

M3wThr33 said:

speakers
monitor
keyboard
mouse

I would list those 4 items seperately because what people want will vary a lot.

calder

CrushDance said:
You can just reuse those.
Not always, I'm looking to buy/make a new comp soon but I need the existing desktop to remain intact. I'm sure I have an extra USB mouse kicking around but it's not one I'd want to use moving forward.

And what about OS? What's the cheapest way to get Vista by itself? (as a side note, it's always a bit funny to see these threads where ppl make their own PC that always seems to lack some pretty key and expensive components)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Teknopathetic said:
Is Overclocking allowed? Because a P35 motherboard (I think some do this by default), will allow you to change the FSB of an e2160 and get a 1.2ghz overclock *without* requiring extra cooling, power supply, etc. Going by benchmarks, this overclock puts you up with e6750 CPUs. The e2160 is an 89$ CPU.
The e2180 (2.0GHz) was released in August at the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103013

You can shave 40 dollars off that motherboard.

Check out the ASUS M2A-VM, it's a slimmed down version of the one you have your current build. Only $70.

Also, check Arstechnica's budget box.

"And what about OS? What's the cheapest way to get Vista by itself?"

I can't, in good conscience, recommend Vista to anyone. It's not terrible and if you bought a preconfigured PC and didn't have a choice to the OS I wouldn't tell you to instantly format and install XP, but I wouldn't tell you to BUY it.

Darkman M

Draft said:
What do you mean. It's just data. If it can be on a floppy it can be on a CD.

I mean like my ps2 controller adapter and things like that came with floppy disk, i could always look online for it though.

If you're in university, see if they give away a free copy of Vista to all students. With a vista license, you are also given an xp license, so if you're not hell bent on dx 10, it's an option.

On the dx10 note, you can get a x1950 pro for like $100 that does really well in every game. I'd wait for the second or third gen of dx10 cards before plopping money down.

Teknopathetic said:
Um... Are you asking a question or quoting/answering someone elses? *confused* Use quotes just this once please Tekno!

OatmealMu

If he was overclocking the cpu, wouldn't it be wise to get a new heatsink and some MX-2? It'll add cost, but it's better to be safe.

I need a floppy disk to install my SATA drivers when I reinstall XP.

I need to do it on every XP install, otherwise it won't recognize my SATA hard drive.

"If he was overclocking the cpu, wouldn't it be wise to get a new heatsink and some MX-2? It'll add cost, but it's better to be safe."

Apparently this FSB tweak doesn't require more than the standard intel cooler, but a new heatsink and thermal paste isn't a bad thing either.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Darkman M said:
Most peeps hat are over clockers aren't looking for budget , i would imagine.:lol
It's possible to go very far with a e2140/60/80 cpu which is around 90$.

Teknopathetic said:
"If he was overclocking the cpu, wouldn't it be wise to get a new heatsink and some MX-2? It'll add cost, but it's better to be safe."

Apparently this FSB tweak doesn't require more than the standard intel cooler, but a new heatsink and thermal paste isn't a bad thing either.
The E2160 runs 56C at load on an aluminium heatsink. You're gonna want a better cooler when you overclock the thing past 3GHz.

800bucks.jpg

Something that won't run games like suck. You can cannibalise the monitor, speakers, etc. or get new ones. I also always think it's worth getting another optical drive.

Plus $6 for some Arctic Silver. Alternatively, take $90 (with $40 mail-in rebate) if you get the HIS X1950Pro instead of the GTS.

Vaporak

On top of the previously mentioned CPU advice, the video card is a bad choice. A x1950pro or an 8600GT/GTS are better cards for the same price.

Draft

It takes like, an hour, to build a PC. If you've never done it before, like 3 hours. How inpatient are you?

SRG01

Mr. Pointy said:
800bucks.jpg

Something that won't run games like suck. You can cannibalise the monitor, speakers, etc. or get new ones. I also always think it's worth getting another optical drive.

Plus $6 for some Arctic Silver. Alternatively, take $90 (with $40 mail-in rebate) if you get the HIS X1950Pro instead of the GTS.

I suggest losing the 8800 GTS and going for a X1950 Pro. It's last gen, but it still runs some games fairly well. Plus it saves you ~$100.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
While where on topic, I have a nice PC but its TOO DAMN LOUD! I need a new fan for the mobo I guess and maybe the video card too soo.. What is the quietest fan for a 3ghz intel chip? Also, what are some of the quietest video cards out there too that are still beasts?

outunderthestars said:
eggbox360

I beat you by $230

You'll never see me wrapping my PC in a towel.

OatmealMu

haunts said:
While where on topic, I have a nice PC but its TOO DAMN LOUD! I need a new fan for the mobo I guess and maybe the video card too soo.. What is the quietest fan for a 3ghz intel chip? Also, what are some of the quietest video cards out there too that are still beasts?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/ for your silent PC needs.

That said, the Scythe Ninja might work for your CPU. Comes with a 120mm which works well at LOW RPMs, but it's BIG. And if you want a REALLY quiet (read: silent) videocard, look for something that's passively cooled.

Lhadatt

Awesome replies, all of you. Except you chumps advising ditching the floppy drive. I'm an IT guy, and I'm not going to ditch my floppy drive until MS stops making operating systems that demand drivers from them during installation. And that 360 guy was awesome too for getting banned. Thanks for trolling dude!

Comments:

- I found benchmarks comparing the HD2600 XT and the 1950 Pro, didn't know there was such a difference. What's ATI's reasoning behind this? Is the 2600 more for home theater systems or something?
- I'm not considering RAM other than Crucial, Corsair, Geil, or the other proven* brands. Patriot's OK, but I'm picky.
- I'll consider the CPU and motherboard advice. I've traditionally been an AMD guy, but I really do like the Intel stuff right now. I'm not big on overclocking, but it's not out of the question.
- I'm going to leave out monitors, keyboard/mice, speakers, etc. - it's a budget PC, these things will be recycled. Should have mentioned that in the first post.

I'm going to probably check out the advice posted here and redo the system in the first post so we can have a current budget PC reference thread.

* "Proven" means more popular brands or stuff I've had success with in the past. I know Patriot's popular, but "budget" doesn't have to mean "el cheapo". You may commence with changing my mind on this.

Top Bottom