• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: FromSoftware made Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 with a staff of just 300 developers

Draugoth

Gold Member
H732K3JZwZTC43fXnJGXJG-1200-80.jpg.webp

During a recent interview with Armored Core 6's director and producer, I asked how big the studio is now and how the teams are broken down.

We don't expect players to read through the whole staff list at the end of every game and compare who's who," joked producer Yasunori Ogura. "To give a broad image, we have just about 400 employees at FromSoftware, and about 300 of those are development staff. That pool of development staff is shifted around, moved between projects as needed, depending on the current situation with a project and the current period of development.

"At peak times, you'd have up to 200, 230 developers working on Armored Core 6," he said. "This was similar to Elden Ring as well. At the peak period of that project, you'd have a similar number of staff working on it simultaneously. So staff is moved around fluidly as and when needed."

For comparison's sake, Armored Core 5, released in 2012, had only about 80 internal dev staff. A decade later, 200ish devs seems like pretty realistic growth. What's more shocking is that a game of Elden Ring's scale was made with a team of the same size.

Banjo64

cumsessed

"We don't expect players to read through the whole staff list at the end of every game and compare who's who," joked producer Yasunori Ogura. "To give a broad image, we have just about 400 employees at FromSoftware, and about 300 of those are development staff. That pool of development staff is shifted around, moved between projects as needed, depending on the current situation with a project and the current period of development."

"At peak times, you'd have up to 200, 230 developers working on Armored Core 6," he said. "This was similar to Elden Ring as well. At the peak period of that project, you'd have a similar number of staff working on it simultaneously. So staff is moved around fluidly as and when needed."

Impressive.

Clearly something is seriously wrong and broken at studios like EA and Ubisoft where they cannot ship games with 3-4x the staff (incl contractors) and many more years.
Unfortunately, almost all of the big dogs over the last 10 years decided the way to do it is by brute force, outsourcing, and using contractors. Hopefully they figure it out. When you have games like Elden ring and TOTK made with 300 developers these other publishers have to start to take notice.

brian0057

Banned
Didn't Nintendo make both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom with around that same amount of staff?
Who knew you didn't need an AC/DC concert crowd worth of devs and dozens of studios scattered across the world in order to make a masterpiece?

Did you hear that, Ubisoft?
How about you hire better management and maybe your games won't suck 50 shades of dick.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Now count the contractors and give me that number.

But regardless, a passionate team of a few will outperform a "for the paycheck" team by 100 to 1

Belthazar

I guess it's time to hire more people, then? Maybe if they hire a few more/better programmers then they can finally release a game that runs well.

Three

Compared to the teams that work on Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, it's tiny.
AC is Ubisoft and their credits are a meme at this point. Call of duty has rotating teams working on annual releases but as far as I know Infinity Ward is also around 300 people.

Mozzarella

I dont think numbers mean that much, after all i remember many old games were made by a small team and they were amazing. And the indie games like Outer Wilds prove that too.
Its just that a lot of devs and especially devs in the west are having their priorities on the wrong things.
When they make a game their sole and major focus goes into Twitter approved political and social values first and foremost, then after that (and after graphics and cinematics) they will try to think about making good and creative gameplay systems and creative worlds and great atmosphere.
For example they probably worry and put so much work and thought over voice acting being authentic in the sense that a latino voices a latino character, asian voices asian character and so on... Then they will try their best to insert every facet of life and diverse cultures in the game at the expense of coherent worldbuilding. They will try to do as much gender representation as possible, they will try to have the game SAY something, like have a political message or a social message or something, it cannot be just a story without those things, they have to think hard of a way to include them.
And just for the record im not dunking on those things, if they exist naturally cool, its hard for them to exist naturally all at once so hence why they go out of their way to force them all into a single product but yeah, i think some people got the idea.
What i mean is all of the stuff that actually matter in game quality come secondary.
And i obviously didnt tackle the microtransaction and scam part of the industry as well like Blizzaard.

So anyway what i mean by this post is that numbers of developers isn't really a huge factor imo, its just that some people are interested in making quality video games through talent, passion and love for the medium, and some other people are just interested in making money and appealing to social trends through virtue signaling and preachy activism.
If you play Bloodborne you notice its first about being a game, a creative lovecraftian nightmare with subtle storytelling, great art, intense atmosphere, great gameplay system and generally a lot of passion and talent. It doesnt matter who voiced who, or what gender or culture or whatever that thing was. Its art, its game quality.
Then you play a western game like the Saint Row reboot and its soulless crap filled with twitter tier writing and art quality, its junk.
P.S obviously i picked a somewhat extreme example to make the point more clear, but there exist more example too, just a bit more controversial.

Last edited:

saintjules

Read that Armored Core is 50 -60 hour game. Wtf how do they do this and ER at the same time and maintain such quality.

The hours reported are varying. Maybe 60 is for completionists.

In an interview with Armored Core VI devs, Director Masaru Yamamura said “We’d say for the average player, a full playthrough of the campaign would take roughly 20 hours.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Best modern day developer today.
Definitely one of the best of all time. In the current period, they are one of the few developers releasing full non-live service games that are complete upon release.
Yet they can't make them games run stable at 60 fps without frame drops on PC, shader compilation, assets loading stutter. At many many location, the camera stutters in the exact location when you rotate around over and over. You are not allowed to play Elden Ring at 120fps without mods and it has the worst HDR implementation on Windows I've ever seen. They finally added an option to turn off camera centering behind the character, yet, as soon as you tilt the stick just a bit, it still starts to center again. They are among the least technically competent developers today. But the art and themes are nice at least.

Last edited:
Yet they can't make them games run stable at 60 fps without frame drops on PC, shader compilation, assets loading stutter. At many many location, the camera stutters in the exact location when you rotate around over and over. You are not allowed to play Elden Ring at 120fps without mods and it has the worst HDR implementation on Windows I've ever seen. They finally added an option to turn off camera centering behind the character, yet, as soon as you tilt the stick just a bit, it still starts to center again. They are among the least technically competent developers today. But the art and themes are nice at least.
For the quality of the games being developed by this studio, specifically level design, immersion, encounter design, bosses etc., performance and optimization issues are a minor grievance. If the performance issues are that difficult to overlook for you, use a console instead to play them,

Also, they are far from the least competent technically. Plenty of other more recent examples of games have far more egregious performance and technical issues than any of From Software's games.

Woah there buddy, you might be setting the bar too high, I’d like to gently push back against this entire post, you see they had a lot of other games to build off of and a pipeline, and stuff, don’t expect this from other devs. It’s an anomaly!

Hudo

So is Froms team very talented or are Ubisofts and the other teams very incompetent?
Obviously, only complete retards work at Ubisoft.

But on a serious note. It's not that big of a deal. They have their engine in place, their asset pipeline and all the ecosystem. So the guys responsible for assets can easily move on from project to project. The producers over at From/Bandai did a good job. And the directors of Armored Core probably as well.

Keep in mind people, Elden Ring got delayed and had a fairly long dev cycle. So I'm not sure what the story here is supposed to be other than PC Gamer needed some SEO shit out.

geary

In 11 years, they dropped 12 games/ports/expansions. Almost 1 piece of entertainment every year. Talking about efficiency...

2011 - Dark Souls
2012 - Armored Core V
2013 - Armored Core: Verdict Day
2014 - Dark Souls 2
2015 - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls 3
2018 - Dark Souls Remastered
2018 - Deracine
2019 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
2022 - Elden Ring
2023 - Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Kumomeme

just?

300-400 is ALOT and pretty common for big AAA.

for comparison Witcher 3 is around 250 developers and Horizon Zero Dawn / GoW is around 300

original FFVII is around 100-150.

while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is JUST around 40.

Last edited:
In 11 years, they dropped 12 games/ports/expansions. Almost 1 piece of entertainment every year. Talking about efficiency...

2011 - Dark Souls
2012 - Armored Core V
2013 - Armored Core: Verdict Day
2014 - Dark Souls 2
2015 - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls 3
2018 - Dark Souls Remastered
2018 - Deracine
2019 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
2022 - Elden Ring
2023 - Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
i mean the vast majority of that list is just a refinement/teak of an established formula/design

Top Bottom