• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core VI Isn't Open-World Because Devs Didn't Want It To Be Like Elden Ring

John Bilbo

I've been playing the original one recently and I understand this decision if the new one has a similar mission structure.

NanaMiku

Why do they have to keep defending and explaining that the new Armored Core game is not a Souls game and its not Elden Ring?
These interviews are getting well past annoying.
People expecting otherwise are setting up for butthurt.

Meanwhile - longtime AC fans are saying 'its finally back'.
Because many new From fans didn't know the studio's history. They didn't know From have a long history lol

Monster_Hunter_Diary_Poka_Poka_Airu_Village_Cover_Art.jpg

Cookiecreamps2.PNG

Another_Century%27s_Episode_Coverart.png

Razvedka

Banned
Armored-Core-VI-Fires-of-Rubicon.jpg

Armored Core VI could have potentially had open-world exploration elements but FromSoftware believed it was best to stick to the series’ charm.
  • According to the dev team, Armored Core VI will double down on customization and parts assembly so players can craft the perfect AC for any situation.
  • Armored Core VI will feature mission-based gameplay but each map is intricately crafted and the devs are confident in the quality.
Armored Core VI could have ended up as an open-world game in some capacity, but FromSoftware decided against it to focus on the series’ soul. In an interview with the dev team for the upcoming mecha action game earlier this year, Yamamura talked about how the team believed, after much deliberation, that it would be best to focus on the true charm of the series—creating your perfect Armored Core.

There was an opinion among the dev team that Armored Core VI should have more exploration and movement like Elden Ring, but the team decided to stay true to the AC formula.

There was an opinion among the dev team that Armored Core VI should have more exploration and movement like Elden Ring, but the team decided to stay true to the AC formula.

The developer explainedç
Keep 'Souls' away from AC.

Wooxsvan

Just started another playthrough of Sekiro. From are so amazing. My 2 fav games are not open world from them. 1. Bloodborne, 2. Sekiro. Bring it on!!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I absolutely love Elden Ring and it's quite possibly my favorite game of all time, but I wouldn't want all of FromSoftware's games to copy it.

I feel like they produce such high quality video games because they give themselves the creative freedom to try something new every once in a while. Afterward, they reflect on the best aspects of the experience and attempt to integrate into other games (where appropriate).

Really looking forward to Armored Core and have faith in whatever direction the studio takes 👌
No offense but all their souls games are the fucking same 🤣

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think people should really stop comparing AC to Souls series because its will play and be structured going to be very different and if that what you expecting then you gonna be disappointed and you have but yourselves to blame.

Watch or play past AC games and see how it plays and structured and temper your expectations.

Last edited:
No offense but all their souls games are the fucking same 🤣
The Souls series? Yeah, of course.

If you're talking about how they adapt game mechanics to other IPs with subtle, yet impactful tweaks (see: parrying/deflection in Sekiro) then that's just smart use of existing resources.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I hope Bandai could someday release a Triple A Universal Century Gundam game, not just those low budget arena fighter

Last edited:

Danjin44

I hope Bandai could someday release a Triple A Universal Century Gundam game, not just those low budget arena fighter
If they are garanteed it would sale high numbers, Mecha games just don’t do well enough to justify AAA budget.

SeraphJan

If they are garanteed it would sale high numbers, Mecha games just don’t do well enough to justify AAA budget.
That's because most Mecha games are arena fighters

However, the Universal Century lore is the Japanese equivalent of Star Wars, the potential is limitless, its totally possible to explore other game genre

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's because most Mecha games are arena fighters

However, the Universal Century lore is the Japanese equivalent of Star Wars, the potential is limitless, it totally possible to explore other game genre
I agree, I LOVE U.C Gundam, I grown up with them, in that One Year War there are so many battles going on in different location, its basically WWII in our world.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I agree, I LOVE U.C Gundam, I grown up with them, in that One Year War there are so many battle going on in different location, its basically WWII in our world.
One of my favorite scene, Imaging if they explore other genre with it

I would gladly take an Open-world Universal Century Gundam, where you could explore Earth, Side 1 to Side 8, Axis, Solomon (Konpei Island), A Baoa Qu (Gate of Zedan), and all the other locations while interacting with iconic characters such as Char, Haman, Giren, etc. over Starfield

Imaging if they could replicate a full Space battle where your mother ship's interior is fully explorable (including the living area), you could choose to command your ship inside the command deck, or move your character to the hanger to manually mount the Mobile Suit.

Bandai limiting U.C Gundam to arena fighter is a huge waste of an IP. I mean they don't even have to make cutting edge graphic, an Elden Ring level of graphic is more than enough.

Since dreaming if free of charge, I would suggest Bandai work with Fromsoftware to make that game too.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Bandai limiting U.C Gundam to arena fighter is a huge waste of an IP. I mean they don't even have to make cutting edge graphic, an Elden Ring level of graphic is more than enough.

Since dreaming if free of charge, I would suggest Bandai work with Fromsoftware to make that game too.
I actually would love to see that and I agree there is so much potential in Gandam U.C to be wasted in arena fighter.

Neolombax

Reading this, my first thought was why on earth would an AC game be open world? But then I forget that theres a whole audience that equates FROM with the souls series primarily. I hope newcomers into this series realize that theres a whole bunch of gameplay in AC that isnt shown in the trailers, which is customizing and optimizing the mech itself, and theres going to be a lot of management in the menu (at least I assume so, given the franchise history). For me personally, a lot of satisfaction in AC comes from piloting a finely tuned mech that I spent hours on, apart from the bombastic action of course. So yes, making AC into an open world game doesnt make any sense, at all.

Last edited:
I feel pretty strongly that open world hurts the souls experience in that it dilutes the wonderful level and encounter design these games are known for.

How many trash mob easy kill same type of enemies did we come across while wandering around that open world?

How many areas truly had great level design?

whoa! sounds like the good ol' days, when a lotta developers did this...

Top Bottom