• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

GametimeUK

I'm a PC guy and I feel like Console is the way to go at the moment for current releases. PC is still amazing for my ginormous backlog.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Still don't get it, wait for patches and you'll have the superior version, even without having to wait with enough overhead you'll have the best version

hlm666

I didn't knew that.
If it does that, it's up to cd projekt to inform me in the settings menu. Maybe some pop up or extra setting.
or maybe optimize the textures to lower the size a bit. The game and textures do not look as good to consume so much vram.
While I agree having something in the ingame menu would have been nice, they did include in the patch notes the textures had been updated.

Community-made and community-inspired mods include:

• The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan

• HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth

• Immersive Real-time Cutscenes by teiji25

• Nitpicker's Patch by chuckcash

• World Map Fixes by Terg500

Upscaled texture to 4K for various characters, including Geralt, Yennefer, Triss, Ciri, Eredin and more.
All main characters, including Geralt, now cast high-resolution self-shadowing even outside cutscenes. Additionally, hair clipping through armor as well as some other armor-clipping issues have been fixed.
Environmental improvements:

• Added a new weather type – "Gray Sky"

• Updated sky textures

• Vegetation and water improvements

• Various mesh improvements

• Improved some select VFX

• Updated global environmental lighting

darrylgorn

This seems like a problem only if you're an enthusiast.

Most PC players own a GTX1650, so the perception of what a PC gamer is does not match the reality.

That clip was very fluffy. He didn't really say anything material other than higher prices, which is not a problem that is exclusive to PC gaming.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
PS5 is easily the best bang for your buck right now. It is what it is.

I was leaning towards PC gaming but over the years, especially this year, it has looked more tedious than pleasurable

Last edited:

hussar16

PC Superfan/Enthusiast/Influencer JayzTwoCents just released a new video called "Dear PC Industry" in which he laments the current state of the industry.

Topics covered:
  • How the pandemic has ruined things.
  • Asus being a shit-heel company.
  • Nvidia being a shit-heel company, plus market manipulation.
  • AMD and their motherboard partners not communicating effectively, leading to some AM5/X3D CPU issues.
    • AMD possibly not being involved enough in the manufacturing process.
    • AM5 will stabilize, but it's another reason why early adopting sucks.
  • None of the brands have their hands clean right now, with maybe Intel being the least controversial...at least at the moment.
    • They're not the most innovative, but they're trying...
    • Intel's toasty thermals can be overcome with manual voltage tuning.
  • Consumer sentiment toward the industry is a disaster.
Of course, for those of you out there who can assess information without being emotionally-triggered about "muh PC!", nothing in this video should surprise you. Things aren't great.

So, factor in historically-catastrophic sales last year and this year with a decline that started in mid-2021, absolutely abysmal PC ports that are nearly unplayable at the time of release, and you have to start wondering how threads like "Opinion: Pc gaming has never been as good as it is today" are made in earnest on this forum. 🤡

Have PC gamers truly become so conditioned and browbeaten that they cannot see what a dumpster fire their platform is right now? I mean, at least Xbox fans are starting to wise up (of course, that's what happens when your CEO goes on a podcast to seek pity and sympathy and it confirms many of our worst suspicions). Oh, and as good/convenient as Steam is, it sure as hell doesn't outweigh a thoroughly shitty port.

As a PC gamer since my adolescence, I don't think I've seen things this bad. I wouldn't dare recommend the platform to uninitiated friends or family, and you'd have to pay me to look the other way when there's something called the PS5 which checks all the right boxes and costs $500.

Once they see the real next game games and it's requirements it's clear to see PC is getting out of hand

This seems like a problem only if you're an enthusiast.

Most PC players own a GTX1650, so the perception of what a PC gamer is does not match the reality.

That clip was very fluffy. He didn't really say anything material other than higher prices, which is not a problem that is exclusive to PC gaming.
That is the fact of the matter....the "Master Race"....is just a myth.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Overall though I agree that it would be nice if:

- nVidia provided better perf/money value
We will never see XX80 level card at ~$700 range ever again and they will be releasing shit cards like 4070/4070Ti while massively cutting down CUDA cores, memory bus and bandwidth and they'll continue lying to your face about x3 performance gains over XX90Ti cards. Why? Cuz people can't vote with their wallets and stop bying their overpriced shit. They don't care about normal people, won't offer them XX80 cards and better value, cuz people with a lot of disposable income are buying their overpriced shit and XX80 cards right now are made only for them and not for you and me.
- some studios did better job on technical side of their games, particularly if they work with Unreal engine
Until UE4 is a thing of the past, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
We will never see XX80 level card at ~$700 range ever again and they will be releasing shit cards like 4070/4070Ti while massively cutting down CUDA cores, memory bus and bandwidth and they'll continue lying to your face about x3 performance gains over XX90Ti cards. Why? Cuz people can't vote with their wallets and stop bying their overpriced shit.

because there is no competition.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
because there is no competition.
People also can't vote with their wallets even after being ripped off by these companies multiple times (recent 3090Ti and 4090 situations is just one of many) - that's an undeniable fact.

Competition is here btw, it's just it's doing the same exact thing (AMD) or making primeraly low-end cards (intel) and not helping to improve things at all. When it comes to intel you can understand why - they're new to GPU market and it will take time before they'll go for high-end, but AMD? $1000+ GPU to counter 4080? $200 less? How about $700-800 instead? Nah, people will buy $1000 card anyway cuz they can't vote with their wallets, so let's make it $1000, forget about making situation a lot better, make everyone create and sell better products for reasonable prices and offer great value.

These companies only understand one language - money, but a lot of people don't know it, refuse to learn it and can't vote with their wallets, hense nothing will change in the foreseeable future (if ever).

Last edited:
People also can't vote with their wallets even after being ripped off by these companies multiple times (recent 3090Ti and 4090 situations is just one of many) - that's an undeniable fact.

Competition is here btw, it's just it's doing the same exact thing (AMD) or making primeraly low-end cards (intel) and not helping to improve things at all. When it comes to intel you can understand why - they're new to GPU market and it will take time before they'll go for high-end, but AMD? $1000+ GPU to counter 4080? $200 less? How about $700-800 instead? Nah, people will buy $1000 card anyway cuz they can't vote with their wallets, so let's make it $1000, forget about making situation a lot better, make everyone create and sell better products for reasonable prices and offer great value.

These companies only understand one language - money, but a lot of people don't know it, refuse to learn it and can't vote with their wallets, hense nothing will change in the foreseeable future (if ever).
why?....because Nvidia offers much more than gaming GPUs....with their "gaming GPUs" (way cheaper) And that is the real issue.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Diehard PC gamers who don't see any problems with the current situation suffer from battered wife syndrome.

PC is currently going through a sad phase. With that said, its benefits far outweigh consoles even considering that. Remember how MS just nuked emulation on Series consoles like that? My emulators are fine on PC. PC is freedom and so long as consoles remain locked down curated experiences, I will never prefer that to PC. Just the idea of having to pay some CEO $50 just to access online mode in a $70 game riddled with DLC/microtransactions is repulsive to me. So shamelessly monetized around every corner.
God bless you for posting this. This is exactly why PC will always be good.

Diehard PC gamers who don't see any problems with the current situation suffer from battered wife syndrome.
The situation is bad but it's only truly bad in one way shader comp stutters. All the other game performance issues are the same bullshit we've always had and arguably far better than the 90s or the mid 2000s or the early 2010s even. PC is better than ever in so many ways it's crazy, but shader comp issues are new and they are awful because you can't easily out power them even with hardware that's a couple gens better than the latest and greatest. Shader comp needs to be dealt with ASAP by devs.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The situation is bad but it's only truly bad in one way shader comp stutters. All the other game performance issues are the same bullshit we've always had and arguably far better than the 90s or the mid 2000s or the early 2010s even. PC is better than ever in so many ways it's crazy, but shader comp issues are new and they are awful because you can't easily out power them even with hardware that's a couple gens better than the latest and greatest. Shader comp needs to be dealt with ASAP by devs.

It's the total package that's problematic, not just shader compilation issues. The biggest issue is how expensive PC gaming has become. Motherboards, DDR5 ram, graphics cards have significantly gone up in price. At the same time the newest AAA games set ever higher hardware requirements for optimal image quality so anyone with a graphics cards with less than 12GB will have to dial down the texture quality and set the resolution to 1440p in order to run these games. I bought an RTX 3080 in 2020 and I feel that card is already outdated. That's pretty sad.

Rea

PC is the best platform to gaming since Sony's games are coming,period. Nah! Pc is fine. Devs just need to spend more time on porting. Fucking publishers should consult more on their devs and really needs to stagger the release because games on console sells more doesn't mean they should release the shitty port the same day. Game release On PC should be delayed.

Filben

He may be right. However, I personally don't care about AMDs communication because I don't buy the latest shit. You can also avoid giving shit companies horrendous prices by buying left over stocks or second hand hardware.

Many points he's making doesn't effect me when I build a PC. A friend of mine got a PC recently with a RTX 3060 12GB, 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 5600 for 600EUR. He's upgraded completely with case and PSU and all from a ten years old PC and can now at least play many modern games even if not all (in all their glory).

A relatively small price for the freedom a PC gets you.

Still, I find myself more often using my PS5 because of trash DX12 ports. I still use my PC primarily for indie games, though. Prices are amazing and there a so many excellent games out there you partly find on PC only.

I'm very happy with having a PS5, PC, and Switch.

RGB'D

As someone that has a PC, series X , switch and PS 5... this ain't it. I quite like my PS5, but nothing can beat my PC. We're never getting mainstream PC only releases lole the old days, but games like Dyson Sphere Program dont exist on consoles and are phenomenal.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PC Superfan/Enthusiast/Influencer JayzTwoCents just released a new video called "Dear PC Industry" in which he laments the current state of the industry.

Topics covered:
  • How the pandemic has ruined things.
  • Asus being a shit-heel company.
  • Nvidia being a shit-heel company, plus market manipulation.
  • AMD and their motherboard partners not communicating effectively, leading to some AM5/X3D CPU issues.
    • AMD possibly not being involved enough in the manufacturing process.
    • AM5 will stabilize, but it's another reason why early adopting sucks.
  • None of the brands have their hands clean right now, with maybe Intel being the least controversial...at least at the moment.
    • They're not the most innovative, but they're trying...
    • Intel's toasty thermals can be overcome with manual voltage tuning.
  • Consumer sentiment toward the industry is a disaster.
Of course, for those of you out there who can assess information without being emotionally-triggered about "muh PC!", nothing in this video should surprise you. Things aren't great.

So, factor in historically-catastrophic sales last year and this year with a decline that started in mid-2021, absolutely abysmal PC ports that are nearly unplayable at the time of release, and you have to start wondering how threads like "Opinion: Pc gaming has never been as good as it is today" are made in earnest on this forum. 🤡

Have PC gamers truly become so conditioned and browbeaten that they cannot see what a dumpster fire their platform is right now? I mean, at least Xbox fans are starting to wise up (of course, that's what happens when your CEO goes on a podcast to seek pity and sympathy and it confirms many of our worst suspicions). Oh, and as good/convenient as Steam is, it sure as hell doesn't outweigh a thoroughly shitty port.

As a PC gamer since my adolescence, I don't think I've seen things this bad. I wouldn't dare recommend the platform to uninitiated friends or family, and you'd have to pay me to look the other way when there's something called the PS5 which checks all the right boxes and costs $500.

I think it's a stretch to think Phil was looking for pity and sympathy. What he did was bad enough...trying to stretch the truth just makes you look desperately biased.

//DEVIL//

Man, this guy is so full of it. He loves nothing more than drama.

a couple of CPUs burn-in motherboard = is a world disaster to him
less than 50 cases of BAD input for the 12VHPWR ( according to the mega thread on Reddit) = is a world disaster to him.
Nvidia releasing 4090/4080 which are 3x more powerful than PS5 at least (thus more expensive than a PS5) = is a world disaster to him.

as if random PS5 dying reports or liquid metal killing PS5s if they are horizontal weren't a problem.

with every new technology, the chances of issues popping up are normal. why acting like this is your first year in the channel ??

Yes, some PC ports are shit these days, but that's on the devs being retarded. not the PC itself. at least PC ports can be fixed by the community in worse-case situations. cant do shit anywhere else on consoles. can't even play online till b*** @@$$ Sony or MS gets 60$ from you.

I'll never buy multiplatform games on my PS5. because I know sooner or later not only the PC version will be much cheaper, it will be much superior. oh,f and I won't have to pay 10 to 20 $ to get an upgraded version if the fucking devs wanted to update it.

I love my PS5, but it's just for exclusives. period.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No I don't delete people on sidewalk but I do ignore them, kinda like I do here if they tend to just shitpost and not actually want to discuss games. The ignore button exists there for a reason.
Yeah I used to not ignore anyone but I now have a healthy ignore list and a couple thread ignored too and the board is so much calmer. I sometimes click on the show ignored content link but it’s always the same trolling and platform warring noise.

Maybe just posting in OTs is the proper way to dodge the noise but then I’ll miss the news.

Oh well, apparently I’ve been here since 2005, it’s a bit more noise than usual right now but going by the past I think people are just starved for new game news right now, there is lots of frustration heating things up. I’m thinking the calm after the summer event storms will turn the talks more into hype and excitement when we know more about what’s coming.

Nightrunner

I don't really see a reason for someone to rush out to pay a ton of money for a PC unless you are just an enthusiast. There was a time where pc gaming was awesome... when Steam sales blew away console sales and games on PC were significantly better looking than the ones on the consoles and graphics cards weren't priced to the moon.

You can still get better looking games, but pc ports are usually bad and the price for graphics cards are obscene now. Maybe if you're into emulation or modding then PC is worth it... but now with more sales on consoles, I just don't really want to be bothered with PC gaming aside from the stuff I can play on my laptop.
Pretty much. There was a time where everything was much cheaper on Steam in my corner of the world which meant paying the premium for good hardware was worth it. Now I'm paying the same as I would on console but dealing with more issues and games that don't even function, why would I even consider investing more money on this side?

Tbh if you're new to gaming and interested in older titles then a decent PC is definitely the best machine, heck if you don't care about visuals even a low end PC will get you access to tons of amazing games. On that same note I feel PC gaming isn't worth it if you care about playing the newest titles as those are the ones most likely to have issues and run worse on superior hardware.

Denton

We will never see XX80 level card at ~$700 range ever again and they will be releasing shit cards like 4070/4070Ti while massively cutting down CUDA cores, memory bus and bandwidth and they'll continue lying to your face about x3 performance gains over XX90Ti cards. Why? Cuz people can't vote with their wallets and stop bying their overpriced shit. They don't care about normal people, won't offer them XX80 cards and better value, cuz people with a lot of disposable income are buying their overpriced shit and XX80 cards right now are made only for them and not for you and me.
People are voting with their wallets, 40 series card sales are way lower than anticipated.
But to be honest, 4070 is not particularly overpriced in my country.
As an example, I bought 1070 for 12,900CZK in june 2016.
Now I can buy RTX 4070 for 14,500CZK in april 2023.

RTX 4070 has three times raw performance and that's not counting DLSS3 or its RT perf.
And there has been pretty insane inflation to boot.

There is also second hand GPU market, with plenty of cheap available GPUs (I bought 3080Ti myself that way six months back).

Well, then we simply add a month or two to those studios games release date.
But I think most future games will be UE5, I just hope Epic actually does the work to improve those flaws.

Tarnpanzer

I'm a PC guy and I feel like Console is the way to go at the moment for current releases. PC is still amazing for my ginormous backlog.

Yes. As long as you don´t play new releases. PC ist still god tier if you can afford one.

Playing Black Mesa right now in 4k/120 and having a blast. Half-Life Raytraced comes next. Just to name two examples you can´t play on any console right now.

Why is everyone saying the PS5 is 500 dollars all the time? It’s only 400 unless you want a disc eating machine. There’s nothing coming even close on price in the world where you get that amount of power and optimization and some nice exclusives.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why is everyone saying the PS5 is 500 dollars all the time? It’s only 400 unless you want a disc eating machine. There’s nothing coming even close on price in the world where you get that amount of power and optimization and some nice exclusives.
Disc eating is the way to go. You own the games and discs are cheaper in the long run

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man this guy is so full of it. He loves nothing more than drama.

couple of CPUs burn-in motherboard = is a world disaster to him
less than 50 cases of BAD input for the 12VHPWR ( according to the mega thread on Reddit) = is a world disaster to him.
Nvidia releasing 4090/4080 which are 3x more powerful than PS5 at least (thus more expensive than a PS5) = is a world disaster to him.

as if random PS5 dying reports or liquid metal killing PS5s if they are horizontal weren't a problem.

with every new technology, the chances of issues popping up are normal. why are acting like this is your first year in the channel ??

Yes, some PC ports are shit these days, but that's on the devs being retarded. not the PC itself. at least PC ports can be fixed by the community in worse-case situations. cant do shit anywhere else on consoles. can't even play online till b*** @@$$ Sony or MS gets 60$ from you.

I'll never buy multiplatform games on my PS5. because I know sooner or later not only the PC version will be much cheaper, it will be much superior. oh,f and I won't have to pay 10 to 20 $ to get an upgraded version if the fucking devs wanted to update it.

I love my PS5, but it's just for exclusives. period.
It’s not all about the power. You would find it strange but people don’t give a crap if 4090 is 25x faster than the ps5.
The crux of the matter is, the game looks identical between pc and ps5 if you do t zoom in like df. The differences are gone.
Sure you can 120fps every single game at 4k with 4090 but that thing costs 5x the ps5 price so it seems fair.

GreatnessRD

It's just a sad time to be a gamer overall. Both on console and PC.

With that said, I'd still rather game on PC right now. Being able to tune settings to get a better experience than on console (For the most part) is valuable to me.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Meh, my portable tiny laptop plays destiny better then either console.. I’m good.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was getting a bit cold. barely 69f here (almost 21c)... and the heating season is over.
So I told my wife not to worry and launched cpu-z and pendulum demo. That pendulum demo is doing 100%. Always reliable heater.
dpbx2T2.png

The temps stabilize at 82c for 3080fe and 82c for 3700x (dark rock pro 4). Who said my system in unbalanced!!! This is perfect harmony!
Now, once ago as I tested temps like this, I also started copying huge files from one nvme to another and after about 2-3 minutes, the nvme speeds dropped and crashed but it's not a normal use case. I only have corsair mp510 drives and these were sold without heatsink.
I could get it cooler but I have my case fans locked to 800rpm which I found is a gold spot between silence and performance. The 3080fe is of course doing it's thing and that thing is loud af but the noise is not very annoying.

So, it's just some bit of fun but my 3700x is from the "old era" of cpus. Aren't these now way more power hungry?
Also - I wanted to highlight one thing. The power usage/heat/noise. Pc is more powerful but let's not forget the console is 200watt total in stress.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It’s not all about the power. You would find it strange but people don’t give a crap if 4090 is 25x faster than the ps5.
The crux of the matter is, the game looks identical between pc and ps5 if you do t zoom in like df. The differences are gone.
Sure you can 120fps every single game at 4k with 4090 but that thing costs 5x the ps5 price so it seems fair.
You would find it strange but most players don't care all that much about graphics either. I helped my sister setting up games in her laptop and she would turn down graphics even when i told her the machine could handle it without issues, just because she was afraid "it would run too hot".

People just want to play games. They get mid-range computers because they need it for work or something of the sort, and buying a mid-range gaming pc is often cheaper than a work-PC + Console. Not to mention you just get everything conveniently in the same place.

And what do they play? Project Zomboid... Divinity Original SIn 2... Counter Strike...Dota 2... New World... Path of Exile... Risk of Rain 2... Deep Rock Galactic... Some driving sim like Beamng, Assetto Corsa or Euro/American Truck....
The average player has a selection of to-go games, or to-go types of games, and only ever buys the big releases occasionally. In fact, i don't know a single person in real life that lives their gaming life from big release to big release like i see in this forum.

Fredrik

It’s a big world. Where I’m at it’s $680. The one that can’t chew discs is $620.

Buggy Loop

What this thread shows me is that negativity bias is strong around here. Of course we don’t have YouTubers spam us with games that perform well because there’s no clicks in that.

Just a visit in the PC screenshot threads throughout the years should be enough to understand, there’s ton of games that originated initially on PC or had superb ports, or hell, even mods. Path traced Half Life Alyx 1998 version, that’s mind blowing, modders on PC are insanely talented.

The recent waves of shit ports also had many of them perform badly on consoles. And this problem is only if you absolutely FOMO day 1 launch, which is really a 1st world problem.

Even Returnal had a few hitches at launch and now it’s flawless, same for many of them.

Here, some picks from screenshot thread

Returnal

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

Fp-NFLSw-WAAAm-yu.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive
51013135753_249b3f152f_3k.jpg

Dead island 2
52833477997_8ce2c795bf_o_d.jpg

Plague tale requiem
52466162831_0d05f0b717_3k.jpg

Forza Horizon 5

Forza-Horizon-5-22-03-2023-22-55-10.jpg

Scorn
4dvJ2eL.jpg

RDR2
UPVkpaq.jpg

HiFi Rush also kudos for flawless release. Microsoft Flight sim, Atomic heart..

But « iT’s aLL baD, 9 oUT Of 10 WoRSe thAN CoNSoLes »

JackSparr0w

Banned
Are you kidding? Have you seen how the Star Wars games run in PC?
Yes way better than any console.

The PC version even got a nice boost after the patch while the PS5 version got even worse performance :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jedi-3-5.jpg

Console games are just used to garbage so they don't complain.

Here is the same scene with patch 3.5 on a RTX 3080 and an Intel I5.

jedi-3080.jpg

Running at 3x the frame rate and 2x the resolution. The 3080 is only 2x faster than the PS5 on paper but it's essentially running 4x faster, console optimization my ass.

The drama queens in this thread that follow clickbait youtubers are completely out of touch with the reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom