• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny's Big Breakaway | New 3D Platformer from the Sonic Mania team

Doom85

Kind of wish the character was a little closer to the screen, seems a tad zoomed out, but beyond that it looks like it has potential. Definitely keeping an eye out for this one.

Lethal01

Looks great but a bit too flat for me, wish it look less like mario 3d world and more like sonic adventure wise level design wise.

bender

What time is it?
yo.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Was curious about this one. Now knowing it’s from the Sonic mania team, I’m in.
Mania team might be overstating it a bit, but it's a studio founded by members of the Mania team including Christian Whitehead.

I had heard this project was in a bit of development hell but it seems to be shaping up. I don't know what the fuck that character is but there are some fun looking mechanics and ideas.

MagnesD3

I will keep a watchful eye over this, it looks like it has love and thought put behind it and once I heard the Mania team was involved it clicked that this is something serious. Let's hope they hit it out of the park.

The Yoyo being used in Platformers is actually a genius concept (I've thought about it for some game ideas I'd like to do myself 👻) so I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Grapple mechanic reminds me of Hell Pie, which is currently on sale on Xbox. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to buy it, because I still haven't played A Hat in Time or Demon Turf. Or rather, I've started both but have not been interested in finishing either.

Last edited:
I've been itching for a good platformer but it's hard to get excited for this on the same system that has Odyssey and 3D All Stars

all these decades later and Mario is still lightyears ahead of pretty much every performer that gets released

MagnesD3

I've been itching for a good platformer but it's hard to get excited for this on the same system that has Odyssey and 3D All Stars

all these decades later and Mario is still lightyears ahead of pretty much every performer that gets released
Is it? those games are years old now. Like you either want more good ones or ya don't lol. Mario is ahead of the curb but it's because 3d plats aren't profitable compared to other investments.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I like the look if the characters and mechanics. The environments look a bit cluttered/like everything blends together though, I think maybe a lot of stuff are in a bit too similar colors etc. I’d like more contrasts.

I’ll definitely keep an eye on this though!

Saber

Gold Member
I watch DF and heard John giving good previews so I had to check out myself.
And holy moly, already liked what I saw from the videos. I aways knew I could count with Taxman, but I didn't know he was also behind the music, its amazing!

SpiceRacz

So hyped for this. I watched a gameplay preview about a month ago. The fixed camera and level design reminds me of 3D World (which is a very good thing). Still bummed the team didn’t make a Sonic Mania sequel, but I think this might turn out better in the end.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m downloading this right now. The soundtrack is absolutely PHENOMENAL, classic Tee Lopes goodness. Gameplay looks so good, too. I can’t wait for this download to finish!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’m downloading this right now. The soundtrack is absolutely PHENOMENAL, classic Tee Lopes goodness. Gameplay looks so good, too. I can’t wait for this download to finish!
Awaiting your initial thoughts. I’m debating which platform to go with

Del_X

Bought sight unseen on Steam. No time but love the “treasure game in 3d” artstyle and feel confident the momentum feels right.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Awaiting your initial thoughts. I’m debating which platform to go with
Don’t get it on Switch. I made that mistake and it turns out it runs at 30. Luckily, I was able to get a refund from Nintendo. What I played so far was awesome, though. The mechanics feel similar to Mario Odyssey in the way that you’re able to chain together multiple aerial moves to really get some distance. Definitely was digging the gameplay, even at 30fps.

Though since I got the game refunded by Nintendo, I’m gonna buy the Steam or PS5 version when I get back home. I’ve heard it runs at a solid 60 on Steam deck.

Dacvak

I believe the PS5 and XSX versions run at 120, according to DF.

Top Bottom