• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment completion rate is around %3 percent- Did you finish it?

Did you finish it?

• Total voters

Orbital2060

On Xbox, right? Does it count achievements from PC/Xbox app players too?

""By 'completed' you mean people with all achievements? Because that would be normal if only several percent go for platinum / 100% achievements.""

It refers to the players who finished the 3rd act.
On console, yeah

Act III completes the game..

6159b220-ad87-40ea-827daf.jpeg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Pentiment is really cool but yeah I doubt it would appeal to mainstream audiences at all, the things that are really great is the history with its neat time period setting and stylistic nature.

It definitely seems niche. Plague Tale Requiem still manages 18% completion on Xbox, even with all the GP users being free to try it, but it is so much more mainstream.

I like the experimental niche things that MS is doing on the side though, that's a feature not a bug. Haven't started Pentiment myself yet though. Just started SC Blacklist, that's how long a game might take to clear my backlog. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Thief1987

That’s not surprising at all. This is primarily a PC game at heart.
It's just that steam players actually bought game, not downloaded it for free. And 25% is still not a very good number, it's below average which is considered around 30-35%.

Last edited:

Raven117

The endless running through the same screens over and over got very tiresome.

I finished it. I wanted to like it more than I did. The story just wasn't strong enough for that type of game.

Kacho

It's just that steam players actually bought game, not downloaded it for free. And 25% is still not a good number, it's below average which is considered around 30-35%.
Today is the first time I’m hearing the excuse that being on Game Pass explains the low completion rates for Xbox games. Do games on PS Plus extra have similarly abysmal completion rates?

ByWatterson

No. I like it every time I pick it up, but there's no hook to keep me coming back.

It's a game that's much easier to appreciate than enjoy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn't. But I never finish any games. The only games I've finished in the last 5 or 6 years have been Mass Effect Andromeda and Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

DaGwaphics

@ Kacho Kacho I think it's more a case of this being the first day that console warriors are trying to make an issue of the completion percentages of GP games (pathetic attempt mind you). LOL

I would think that devs would rather have more eyes on the game than have less people playing to maximize their completion percentages. It's common sense that a game that is freely accessible to millions is going to have a lot of people try it but not finish it. If you want to compare completion percentages between Xbox and Sony, just compare games that don't appear on any subscription service. News flash, the platform with the highest number of casual users loses.

Though the structure of the Platinum trophy on PS might be more of an incentive to trophy hunters on PS than getting a perfect 1000 or whatever on Xbox. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bridges

Finished it and loved it. The very beginning is a bit of a slog but once it gets good it is really good.

I feel very similarly about Atomic Heart. GP probably makes people feel less inclined to stick with games that don't immediately hook them.

Thief1987

Today is the first time I’m hearing the excuse that being on Game Pass explains the low completion rates for Xbox games. Do games on PS Plus extra have similarly abysmal completion rates?
Beside Stray we don't have any other games launching day one on Extra. Stray is finished by 30.3% of players on PS5.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I feel very similarly about Atomic Heart. GP probably makes people feel less inclined to stick with games that don't immediately hook them.

Probably creates a situation where a lot of the people playing would not have purchased the game at launch to start with, that is going to lower the completion percentage some to be sure. When you buy things you are choosing to pickup things that you have a strong feeling are "your kind of game". Sub services give you equal access to everything, so, might as well try things for yourself. Obviously the average number of hours it takes to complete a game is going to be an issue as well, along with the overall number of new games that launch on the service in that same time period (dividing attention).

Last edited:

Darak

I played it for a few hours but didn't like it and abandoned it. I didn't like the writing or the art, and the game is 99% about those, so it was not for me.

SteadyEvo

Naw. Lost interest after the second act. Too much text. Too slow. Went shit hits the fan it’s awesome but waiting for these moments sucks.

MagnesD3

It definitely seems niche. Plague Tale Requiem still manages 18% completion on Xbox, even with all the GP users being free to try it, but it is so much more mainstream.

I like the experimental niche things that MS is doing on the side though, that's a feature not a bug. Haven't started Pentiment myself yet though. Just started SC Blacklist, that's how long a game might take to clear my backlog. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well if you can dig the Time Piece stuff, the Style and Characters you should definitely have a good time. Its probably my favorite game I've played this year so far, even though I would say as a game its just ok, its the other stuff that makes it.

Last edited:

Beechos

If you think thats low for a niche game i remember beating gears of war hivebusters expansion that was at like somewhere 3-5%. The dlc campaign was great and short too such a shame.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I tried playing it but i had a hard time reading the text. Now i got a bigger tv and plan on checking it out again.

I remember when I finished Psychonauts 2 the final acheivement was 3% completed to finish game.
I made a comment on neogaf about the 3% thinking I was doing great, and someone replied that when they finished Psychonatus 2 they saw a 0.12%.
I assume these numbers increase over time.

coffinbirth

I wouldn't take stats of anything seriously that goes onto gamepass. It's why the 'diamond achievements' are pretty pointless now as well.
Fun fact: ALL Achievements are "Rare Achievements" until 10% of activated licenses have gotten it. I have diamonds all the way through the Goldeneye campaign because I tore through it as soon as it went live, which is silly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Adulting sucks. When you are young you have time but no money so you beat A link to the past a few thousand times. When you are an adult it takes 2 years to complete witcher 3.
Being an adult is great. I get all the time I want and money for what I want. Just don’t have kids

recma12

I was in love with the game from the start.
My mom is actually from Lower Bavaria and I was playing this in German.

Kinda feel bad for dropping it during Act III but Hogwarts came out so I jumped to that.

TonyK

Apart from recently finishing Pentiment, yesterday I also finished Norco (it has an 8,4% completion rate by the way), another narrative adventure game like Pentiment or Disco Elysium, and even with its weird pixel art graphics I liked it more than Pentiment and Disco. I recommend it to people that like this genre.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Never even heard of it before today but that doesn't surprise me. When you look at story-related achievements for various different games, most of them have a tendency to have their completion rate metric get progressively lower the further you have to progress in order to get them.

Kupfer

I can't wait to play the game.
At the moment I have enough other stuff, especially with the PSVR2, but if there is an attractive sale, I will definitely buy Pentiment and play it on the Steam Deck.
The game is so refreshingly different.

H4ze

My goty last year, even tho I put way more ours into Elden Ring. This game was just so special but unfortunately I did not finish it. I lost progress, two times and I could not get myself to replay the lost sections of the second save data loss... But I will get back to it for sure.
(The second los was close to the end, wich made it even worse to me)

Filben

Finished it and struggled a bit when the protagonist changed, took a break for two weeks, returned and pretty much played it non stop.

It's very niche but so well-made and pulled many right strings for me. Not something I'd play again, so no GOTY worthy in my eyes, but the attention to detail and the story is superb and the authenticity a rare sight in video games.

mxbison

Played for about 1,5 hours.

I like plenty of different games but until then it was pretty much just a visual novel with a story that didn't hook me.

DaGwaphics

I remember when I finished Psychonauts 2 the final acheivement was 3% completed to finish game.
I made a comment on neogaf about the 3% thinking I was doing great, and someone replied that when they finished Psychonatus 2 they saw a 0.12%.
I assume these numbers increase over time.

Yeah, Psychonauts is up to 14% now.

I typically work on one game at a time for the most part, but obviously a lot of people start multiple games and take their time finishing.

Top Bottom