• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 hackers and 2 bodyguards.
7 people to save the world.

The Magnificent Seven.
The Irrelevant Seven

mind-blown.gif

tirminyl

FOOL.jpg

My body was not ready for that ending. It felt like a damn series finale. I had to double check that the show was actually renewed!

Nobility

Banned
Bye bye procedural episodes?
I agree.

This isn't a game changer, this is a revolution.

I am actually shaking...

This...omniscient, omnipotent entity will actively hunt these seven individuals regardless of location or setting. I'm still trying to grasp my head around this concept.
This is no longer the show that we began to love in S1. It has become an oppressing reality that I need injected directly through my veins on a weekly basis.

I think I will need to wait until September to make sense of this.

The POI world changed today...

Nolan and company...what the fuck have you done...

zjCcPJw.png

This show...

trinest

What I want to say is Lional not been protected, considering he was associated with the guys, is that a bad thing? Could they kill him off? Also he did look potentially in danger in the end scenes as people started getting killed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know everyone is hyped with the finale, but holy shit episode 16 (the flashback episode). Allow me to try to show my facial reactions from start to finish, shortly after I thought to myself "meh a flashback ep"

:|
:/
:eek:
:O
o_O
O_O

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Gotta say that Leslie Odom fucking killed it as Collier, his face when he realized he was being played for a fool the entire time. Goddamn.

edit: Rahknar this one day you should really avoid the thread lol.

News Bot

Banned
1 thing what about the machine is that sharing same cameras and all or does sameraton have full access

Both machines have full access.

Anyway this is some of the best television I've ever witnessed. Amazing finale. Topped everything prior and I can't wait to see how the POI world shifts with a more malevolent omniscient presence around.

ZenaxPure

Person of Interest Season 4 |OT| Watch Dogs

Person of Interest Season 4 |OT| This was never about winning, it's just about surviving.

Speaking of that though, I also want to say I really like how things did not work out for the team in the end. I mean let's face it, between not killing whats-his-face in D.C. and not destroying the processor (or whatever piece of tech it was), both for moral reasons, it's refreshing to see that they have to live with the consequences of those actions instead of everything magically working out in the end. While this outcome was probably bound to happen eventually the reason it is happening so soon is entirely their own fault.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 17 opening, I can't handle this much Root, this character is too good. I'm sorry Amy, I was weak and got on the Shaw train for a bit, please forgive me :(

Nobility

Banned
Person of Interest - Season 4 |OT|
Beta Test Complete. Samiritan: Activated
Person of Interest - Season 4 |OT| 100% Redundancy, 100% Availability (I can't be the only one whose taken a networking class)
The Seven Irrelevants
Person of Interest - Season 4 |OT| They Should Have Killed
The Congressman

Wow, just, wow. How on earth can a show be this good? From Vigilance being run by Decima (something that would never had occurred to me if I didn't read it here) to a new machine having free reign to do whatever the heck it wants.

I just wonder how they will top this next season. I mean how will they be able to curtail Samaritan? I an thinking that there might be some mighty merge between the two machines in the future somehow. Also, I think it will be a lot harder to save lives like they used to. Next season should be extremely interesting.

I nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown by entertaining the thought of the show getting cancelled at this point or any point for that matter. :shudders:

I've had almost an hour to calm down and I still haven't. I have no idea where they are headed. Somehow Nolan continues to just make things better and more intriguing. My favorite show on TV right now.

trinest

I just wonder how they will top this next season. I mean how will they be able to curtail Samaritan? I an thinking that there might be some mighty merge between the two machines in the future somehow. Also, I think it will be a lot harder to save lives like they used to. Next season should be extremely interesting.

Then Samaritan will start giving out numbers to Team Machine and then get them to distory Geer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Going back to my speculation post from last week, lets see how I did:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110963566&postcount=2580

My rough guesses on how this will go:

Speculation spoiler barred, because people might not want to think about how things might go down (Also using images from that promo to guide my thoughts, so if you don't even watch the promo's, don't bother reading):

Trial happens. Either to show they mean business, or he tries something to escape, I figure the president's aide gets killed. He's a brand new character versus the other 4 established ones. Screams Red Shirt to me. Yep, right on

Harold reveals himself in some fashion, but in a way that isn't a "total reveal". Unsure if he or anyone reveals that it's not a simple "mass surveillance, but actually the worlds first AI", which would be it's own shitstorm. More or less happened. The "not a total reveal" is explained because of Decima orchestrating the whole thing, including faking the broadcast to the world, fooling Vigilance. No one outside that room knows about Harold, and everyone in that room is dead besides Finch, Greer, Control and the Senator

Reese and Hersch somehow are able to track down that location (cause hey, that place looks like a library or large old building, shouldn't be too hard to single out possible locations). Large gunfight occurs, where I bet most if not all of Vigilance is killed, but I imagine the Senator is too. I have a feeling Control lives, but perhaps Hersch doesn't. Finch and John should make it out (cause hey, they're the show), and I'm unsure on what happens to Greer. Wrong on the senator, but mostly because I wasn't sure on the Samaritan outcome. If it "died" it didn't matter what happened to the Senator or Greer. Right on Hersch and Control.

It looks like the cops raid Finch's library, which makes me feel it might happen near the end of the story, post-rescue. That leads me to believe that Harold is somehow exposed in all of this. But I assume that Fusco might help move the cops in the wrong direction.Yeah, cops, post Samaritan turn on, but Fusco couldn't stop it if he tried, and Finch/Reese were already gone

Root's wearing a labcoat in a whiteroom, and Shaw's with her, so I'm assuming they're together @ Samaritan. I've just had this feeling for a long time that Root isn't making it beyond this season. That she's been the Machine's arms and feet, up until it upgrades itself, which leads me into: Wrong on Root dying, thankfully. The way the show is now changed, the group really needs the Machine's help. Hell, they all need to be talking to the Machine instead of just her.

Super theory time: i've had multiple thoughts on how Decima and Vigilance are connected. Some of these theories are not compatible with each other.

1. The Machine has been behind Vigilance all along. A secret army to ferret out Decima and the government. Things that it, post-becoming free, decided were threats to human life. Vigilance has always had this odd ability to know things first, move undetected, and other things that should have popped up. brrr, WROOONG, but I knew that Vigilance seemingly got some information help from something, which ended up being...

2. Decima has been behind Vigilance all along. Information broker could also explain how Vigilance knows things first/faster. Also, before being Captured, Greer seemingly knew they were coming ("It's already too late, Senator" or something like that.) That combined with how odd Decima is (people killing themselves, not really wanting control over Samaritan). They've used Vigilance to both remove The Machine, but also to ensure that the government will want to use it (Samaritan), by sacrificing Greer, along with the other 4 people, to a terrorist attack (the Kangaroo Court), all because they had turned off The Machine (because of public influence). Selling the idea of a 3rd party system that isn't held to the same standard as the Government is.Almost completely right, except for the deaths of Greer, Control, the Senator or Finch. Didn't realize they had brought in 20-30 hostages, which in turn were the deaths needed for the plan. Saw Greer in the previous episode being mellow about being abducted by Vigilance, and the odd "chipper mood" during the kangaroo court was confirming it. The plan was expose the machine, get it shut down, introduce a newer/stronger machine, push the government to act by creating a terrorist attack while Samaritan was off.

3. Harold's involved with Vigilance. Tired of the fight, upset at his losses because of Government corruption, Harold created a contingency plan that can both reveal the machine's existence (since it's beyond being able to be turned off), and stop any competitors in the AI-Creating business. My least likely to happen thought. Wrong, was going for a "Harold isn't who we think he is" play, though now going forward, he'll need to do something similar to stop Samaritan. Come on Team Elias!

2a & 3a: Ingram is behind Decima and/or Vigilance, because hey, half the cast is "presumed dead", why not pull the trick on us and have a presumed dead person really be alive. for giggles, brought back an old theory about Nathan from season 2, where I wasn't sure he really died in the ferry blast. Would like to see a reappearance of that actor. Same with Zoe, Leon and Carter, in some fashion. That photo drop of various POI's :( :( :(

Only people I know should make it to season 4 are Reese and Fusco. yep, never in "abnormal danger" as Reese is used to ongoing gun battles
My 95% survival is Finch for a split second...this felt close.
Root or Shaw won't make it out, with Root being the most likely choice. whew, wrong. My guess for the reason to not bringing in the 3 hackers, is that the machine wasn't sure there were enough goons to steal the RFID chips from.
Greer is 50/50 depended on the Decima and Samaritan plot
Collier is 25%, mostly based on the possibility of him being connected to Decima or the Machine, if this was all some sort of long con. pretty much right. His contribution came to an end, and quickly so did his life.
Control is at 75% wasn't quite as sure, but figured they didn't need to kill off all the bad guys in the kangaroo court
Hersch at 35% season finale, gun battle between a large force and 2 men, someone was probably going to die. He went out nicely, and who knows, he might have been close to stopping it. World lost a true badass (come on, fighting off 3 mercs after being shot 2-3 times...)
The Senator is at 15%He wasn't a big role, and didn't expect him to last much longer than the other G-Man. Also didn't plan on Samaritan actually "winning" which needed him to be alive to give it the feeds.
The other guy, just mark him for death. lol yep, and I hope others figured this was gonna happen too
Rest of Vigilance is Dead or in custody.Season finale needs a bodycount of cannon fodder

In all of this, I still hold out hope that Elias plays a small part, perhaps in saving Finch. But the storyline currently has no ties to a "small timer" like Elias (on the scale of where it is now, yep, Small Timer)

Lastly, trying to decide, just what the hell is Root and the servers doing? What does it mean?

She said something about "slowing down their adversaries." Maybe she thinks it'll slow down Samaritan's reaction time, enough that the government won't want it. But, I'm going with a different thought:

The Machine doesn't tell Root everything.

I believe the Machine tells the hackers how to set it up, where it can infiltrate the rest of those servers, wipe out Samaritan, and use the new power of the servers and the improved functions of Samaritan, to upgrade itself. That all of this, Decima and Vigilance, was it's long con, to improve itself, using people as chess pieces to get to this point.

The word "Decima" is the name for one of the Roman "sisters of Fate". It's greek version is called Lachesis:

"Lachesis was the apportioner, deciding how much time for life was to be allowed for each person or being. She measured the thread of life with her rod. She is also said to choose a person's destiny after a thread was measured."

Choosing how much time left in life? Choosing a person's destiny? Sounds a bit like how the machine works. It could see those things, but with upgraded potential, and the Decima army behind it, can now "choose" instead of just observe.

Which makes me think, that the next season, at least going forward, is that The Machine is the big bad. Just one that still has that line of code that continues to try and save irrelevant people.

Jonah always said this wasn't a show that could just 'keep" going. I figure we have 1 or 2 more seasons left.

Added thoughts going forward, if this is the case: Finch seems to be found out, but still needs manpower to fight The Machine. Good way to bring in Elias and his group

Pretty much all wrong, but with the same rough outcome, a Bad A.I. But at least it's not our Faithfull Machine. It's Samaritan.

Lonestar

Beta Test Complete. Samiritan: Activated
Person of Interest - Season 4 |OT| 100% Redundancy, 100% Availability (I can't be the only one whose taken a networking class)
The Seven Irrelevants
Person of Interest - Season 4 |OT| They Should Have Killed
The Congressman

I like The Irrelevant Seven, as a knock off of The Magnificent Seven movie title.

btw, yep, a damn good night of 2 great finales in Agent of Shield and Person of Interest. POI won majorly, with an insane cliffhanger, that was earned and didn't feel "cheap"

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Btw who was the guy Greer's right hand man killed in the police station? Must've been someone important, but I missed it.

Rhaknar

that episode is amazing.

Is... Is this a Root x Shaw vibe growing here or is that just me wishful thinking? My brain
and other parts
can't handle that

Lonestar

Btw who was the guy Greer's right hand man killed in the police station? Must've been someone important, but I missed it.

that was the Vigilance guy that Hersch and Reese fooled into revealing the courthouse location. Showing them taking out the remnants of Vigilance.

Notice, that Greer's right hand man, is the same gunman from the RAM episode, meaning he's been involved for years, before Team Machine was created.

Rhaknar

So, John is as much admin as Root is correct? Does the machine just choose not to feed him precog information like she does Root because...she doesn't want to? Keep in mind I'm still on ep17

Lonestar

So, John is as much admin as Root is correct? Does the machine just choose not to feed him precog information like she does Root because...she doesn't want to? Keep in mind I'm still on ep17

Really hard to talk about the ending in here :p

But technically, no, John is no longer an "admin". That was a 24 hour thing. Admin rights revoked afterwards. After the Machine was freed, though, the full power of the Machine saw it needed a human interface it could talk to, and chose Root (assuming it saw was just happened coming). Maybe it felt it could control her better than Reese. Who knows.

But as it stands, it's just Root with that kind of access, but it doesn't seem to work like before. Like it won't just "do what she says" like during the season 2 finale. Instead, it commands her.

Lonestar

http://i.imgur.com/N7yJlrm.jpg
Link to that certain someone's death certificate. All that took place on Tax Day. An important day in the year for the Government. This Show...

also
Lol, Shaw knew his real first name was George, as his alias states Robert as his first name, as his real name is blacked out.

ZenaxPure

Really hard to talk about the ending in here :p

But technically, no, John is no longer an "admin". That was a 24 hour thing. Admin rights revoked afterwards. After the Machine was freed, though, the full power of the Machine saw it needed a human interface it could talk to, and chose Root (assuming it saw was just happened coming). Maybe it felt it could control her better than Reese. Who knows.

But as it stands, it's just Root with that kind of access, but it doesn't seem to work like before. Like it won't just "do what she says" like during the season 2 finale. Instead, it commands her.

Yeah, admin access ended after that 24 hours, It's been said a few times, but, Root is literally the interface for the machine now, not the admin.

I don't really think it was about controlling her though, since the machine can see everything it certainly saw that Root wanted to set it free and then obey it like a follower of a god, she was the obvious choice.

Rhaknar

Still on 17:

Root to Harold:"the day Samaritan goes online a lot of people are going to die, but they will start with 4. You, me, your helper monkey and Shaw"

Lol hold dat L John

Sober

This season finale, goddamn. I feel like if PoI were an anime this is the part where we'd see a timeskip forward like a year or two.

Also I was pretty glad to see that
Root's little band of hackers made it into the "protected seven."
I think it means that they'll be developed more strongly next season, assuming there is a next season.

PLEASE, CBS, keep this show alive and stop killing it with break-weeks!
Feel like they might time skip. They purposely showed the team scattering apart, unless they plan to meetup somewhere down the line. Which I doubt unless the blindspot Root programmed in makes it so Samaritan will never try to investigate them ever.

Piecake

So, is Fusco going to be a bit player in season 4? Not sure how the gang could include him in their antics without sticking a death sentence on him

ZenaxPure

So, is Fusco going to be a bit player in season 4? Not sure how the gang could include him in their antics without sticking a death sentence on him

Well my dream is that he starts to get curious exactly what "the machine" is now that he knows it exists and stumbles upon the truth somehow.

But who knows!

Feel like they might time skip. They purposely showed the team scattering apart, unless they plan to meetup somewhere down the line. Which I doubt unless the blindspot Root programmed in makes it so Samaritan will never try to investigate them ever.

Root did say they had to become these normal people and live normal lives. Saving irrelevant numbers isn't going to keep up that facade.

It really begs the question of what the Machines purpose is apart from the irrelevant numbers. Samaritan, at least for a little while, is going to be stopping the types of attacks that she used to. The obvious answer is that Harold has to do something to the Machine in order to put it on equal footing against Samaritan, and that is the main battle next season. If next season was the last (please no, please CBS), it ending with neither the Machine or Samaritan operational would be the bittersweet ending that makes sense.

Lonestar

Root did say they had to become these normal people and live normal lives. Saving irrelevant numbers isn't going to keep up that facade.

It really begs the question of what the Machines purpose is apart from the irrelevant numbers. Samaritan, at least for a little while, is going to be stopping the types of attacks that she used to. The obvious answer is that Harold has to do something to the Machine in order to put it on equal footing against Samaritan, and that is the main battle next season. If next season was the last (please no, please CBS), it ending with neither the Machine or Samaritan operational would be the bittersweet ending that makes sense.

The Wargames ending. The only way to win, is to never play the game.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, best we know, that despite "setting it free" in the S2 finale, the machine is still bound by some weird rules that Harold had to configure to get the results he wanted (this is especially shown this season when the machine keeps telling Root to save the janitor instead of destroying the tech). I have to wonder if the story will ever lead in such a way that the machine is completely on the level of Samaratin, which I don't think it is currently.

foxtrot3d

Banned
AMAZING! I'm also happy that Decima one except for the whole bombing of innocent people. In my mind they could have just ended the show right here, Samaritan comes online and gives the world absolute protection the natural end result of Finch's machine. I honestly don't even want them to fight back against Samaritan unless it goes all Skynet, the idea of a benevolent GOD AI protecting everyone sounds appealing to me.

However, I'm not sure I understand how they've programmed Samaritan, how exactly is is classifying threats? When it came online it showed itself identifying someone who made "anti-government speeches" as a threat does that mean they are to be eliminated? If so then it hardly seems like the benevolent GOD AI Greer talked about, also why is it that Greer could theoretically issue his machine commands? In my mind Samaritan would be a closed system like the Machine once online it could never be tampered with or issued new orders, it would simply fulfill its directive "protect humanity" and that's it. I feel like they've taken what could be an interesting debate on the morality of machines/AI's and just made it evil. I guess we'll find out more how Samaritan operates in the next season but again if it's anything like what Greer originally outlined then screw Finch and Shah, Samaritan deserves to rule.

EDIT:

Also, I think it's safe to say that we're probably never going to get a resolution to Elias' storyline they dragged it out too long and now he's too small fry to be ever dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom