• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kills me is that this show doesn't get nearly enough of the recognition it deserves. A finale that lives up to the entire season which is a pretty damn hard feat. I went from hoping someone shoots Collier to feeling extreme pity in a matter of minutes.

Doorman

However, I'm not sure I understand how they've programmed Samaritan, how exactly is is classifying threats? When it came online it showed itself identifying someone who made "anti-government speeches" as a threat does that mean they are to be eliminated? If so then it hardly seems like the benevolent GOD AI Greer talked about, also why is it that Greer could theoretically issue his machine commands? In my mind Samaritan would be a closed system like the Machine once online it could never be tampered with or issued new orders, it would simply fulfill its directive "protect humanity" and that's it. I feel like they've taken what could be an interesting debate on the morality of machines/AI's and just made it evil. I guess we'll find out more how Samaritan operates in the next season but again if it's anything like what Greer originally outlined then screw Finch and Shah, Samaritan deserves to rule.

Someone else will probably be able to slow-mo-fu this better than me, but I recall when it was going over that profile that it gave a recommended action to basically increase attention paid to his actions, but didn't go so far as to mark him for elimination. When the search expands you can also see that it starts racking up an absolutely massive number of "deviants," but only a small proportion of those (thousands compared to hundreds of thousands) are recommended for elimination. My guess is that it's classifying "relevance" in a similar fashion to the Machine, but perhaps its threshold of when to take action or not is a bit looser, and obviously since it's an open system, Decima/Greer is given ALL available information, not just the Machine's black-box relevant numbers.

Still, if the government is apparently leaving it completely up to Decima to decide how some of these threats are being handled (as we saw with the wounded-arm Dec agent shooting both the cop and ex-Vigilance during the ending sequence)...well then the system isn't really as benevolent as Greer's speeches would lead you to believe.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Someone else will probably be able to slow-mo-fu this better than me, but I recall when it was going over that profile that it gave a recommended action to basically increase attention paid to his actions, but didn't go so far as to mark him for elimination. When the search expands you can also see that it starts racking up an absolutely massive number of "deviants," but only a small proportion of those (thousands compared to hundreds of thousands) are recommended for elimination. My guess is that it's classifying "relevance" in a similar fashion to the Machine, but perhaps its threshold of when to take action or not is a bit looser, and obviously since it's an open system, Decima/Greer is given ALL available information, not just the Machine's black-box relevant numbers.

Still, if the government is apparently leaving it completely up to Decima to decide how some of these threats are being handled (as we saw with the wounded-arm Dec agent shooting both the cop and ex-Vigilance during the ending sequence)...well then the system isn't really as benevolent as Greer's speeches would lead you to believe.

Yeah I re-watched that scene to be sure and noticed that, however I don't think the government is allowed Decima to kill these people, that would seem kinda odd. Afterall, they were arrested already, the people we saw being executed were all Vigilance agents so I assume Greer wanted to get rid of them to ensure there were no traces back to him. So really the show is gonna have some explaining to do to convince me that Samaritan is bad and needs to be taken down.

What kills me is that this show doesn't get nearly enough of the recognition it deserves. A finale that lives up to the entire season which is a pretty damn hard feat. I went from hoping someone shoots Collier to feeling extreme pity in a matter of minutes.

It doesn't because the "smart audience" won't watch it because it's on CBS, the king network of procedural television. This is despite the show, with only a few missteps, walking the line of procedural and serialized in magnificent fashion. On the other side, it does want you to know just enough that the general procedural audience can't actually get into it. So it's excellence is punished from both sides.

Is it the greatest show on TV? No, I wouldn't make that argument, but it is my favorite show currently on TV, and I do wish it had a larger audience.

Yeah I re-watched that scene to be sure and noticed that, however I don't think the government is allowed Decima to kill these people, that would seem kinda odd. Afterall, they were arrested already, the people we saw being executed were all Decima agents so I assume Greer wanted to get rid of them to ensure there were no traces back to him. So really the show is gonna have some explaining to do to convince me that Samaritan is bad and needs to be taken down.

Those being shot at the end were Vigilance people, not Decima.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah I re-watched that scene to be sure and noticed that, however I don't think the government is allowed Decima to kill these people, that would seem kinda odd. Afterall, they were arrested already, the people we saw being executed were all Decima agents so I assume Greer wanted to get rid of them to ensure there were no traces back to him. So really the show is gonna have some explaining to do to convince me that Samaritan is bad and needs to be taken down.

You kind of already said why it's bad. The person with access to it, is ok with crossing off anyone it perceives is a threat to it's ownership of the machine. It's the people, as usual!

...for now

foxtrot3d

Banned
It doesn't because the "smart audience" won't watch it because it's on CBS, the king network of procedural television. This is despite the show, with only a few missteps, walking the line of procedural and serialized in magnificent fashion. On the other side, it does want you to know just enough that the general procedural audience can't actually get into it. So it's excellence is punished from both sides.

Is it the greatest show on TV? No, I wouldn't make that argument, but it is my favorite show currently on TV, and I do wish it had a larger audience.

Those being shot at the end were Vigilance people, not Decima.

Whoops, that's what I meant.

Clevinger

Damn, great finale. Can't wait to see what season 4 is like.

Also, this show continues to have the best opening/ending music pieces.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
i5klbJOYs73PC.gif

Pistool is niet biefstuk, hier neem je het, pak man

btw, Samaritan is basically the Watch_Dogs cell phone program
iwBNusRiJL35t.jpg

jw3mgz0Rd6fFI.jpg

Yeah, real Benevolent AI there, Foxtrot. Already passing 20 million Deviants (worst description ever!) and over 1200 eliminate targets, and thats before hitting California and Texas (and large chunks of the east as well)

Meh, I really didn't care for Vigilance. I couldn't care less when all of them ended up erased. I sorta kind of knew they were being used by third party, since the information they get to hunt down vital people would come from no one except the ones with the machine. But I thought it was the government (the woman who was in control of Northern Light) who was feeding them the information, not Decima.

Chariot

Also, I think it's safe to say that we're probably never going to get a resolution to Elias' storyline they dragged it out too long and now he's too small fry to be ever dealt with.
Oh, I don't know about that. Like the Machine Samaratian is not omniscent. There are blackspots and ways to avoid it. Now, Elias is lacking the knowledge of what it is, that now target criminals, but in the dawn of such a huge danger for the organized crime, they will bound. Maybe with Elias as a leader or on of few leader. Humans have this weird thing that they come up with interesting ideas when it comes to big threaths. Or maybe Finch will visit his chess partner.

In any case, the episode was insane. Why are POI finals always so terrible and end with huge cliffhangers that stab me for four months in the gut?

Invisible phantoms to a mass surveillance system? Hello, Psycho-Pass.
Ok, Sybil is completely different from Samaritan, but the effects are essentielly the same.

Root's noncrazy speech at the end was great.

That was an awesome way to end the season finale. It's chilling to hear Root talk in that manner, all serious and grim-sounding. A drastic departure from where she was when the season started - locked up in a mental facility. Root really kicked a lot of arse this season. It's also good to see her recruits with her, John, Finch, and Shaw rounding up Samaritan's priority list. Looks like they'll figure more prominently next season. As for Fusco... Poor NYPD, completely left in the dark. No wonder they closed the HR arc mid-season because I can't see how they would figure in the grander scheme of things as shown in the last few episodes.

I've had almost an hour to calm down and I still haven't. I have no idea where they are headed. Somehow Nolan continues to just make things better and more intriguing. My favorite show on TV right now.

Mine too. It's scary to accommodate the thought of it being cancelled but it's safe for one more season. And just like everybody said, CBS better stop sabotaging the show with all the breaks. It literally breaks the momentum.

Baskcm

Anyone think the machine is going to change its programming as such just from when Harold and green where talking and Harold said about when he was building the machine it's Ai took him by surprise

Tugatrix

Hersh went down like a true hero...
hope he's alive and kicking

Damn this show is awesome, next season will be about taking down samaritan, and I'm totally for it will be a great story

Chariot

I know but I'm hoping for some plot gymnics that bring him back, like faking his own death
I wouldn't rule it out, but I really don't belive it. He was trying desperatly to defuse the bomb. I don't think is the kind of guy who dives in the underground, while killing innocents and keeping Control in the dark. He is ruthless, but still a patriot. It just wouldn't fit. Another thing would be if Control planned this from the start (but I seriously don't know how).

Wiktor

Jesus Christ. Nolan and co have balls of steel to pull off ending like this.
It doesn't because the "smart audience" won't watch it because it's on CBS, the king network of procedural television.

The funny thing is that the actual two most consistently high quality drama series on TV are both on CBS and the fact that they keep up such ridiculous high quality through whole seasons instead of halfseaons like on cable is just plain mindblowing.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Holy crap! What an ending!!!

Didn't expect them to all the whole nine-yards with it!

Game changer -- S4 is going to be some epic stuff. Still reeling from the craziness!

Decima being Vigilance wasn't as surprising but the look on Colliers face, my god, tragic ending for him. Kinda bummed Hersh got killed but he want out like a boss.

Samaritan is one sinister machine, all threats -- no yellow's or blue's.

If were to assume Samaritan is only watching the U.S. right now then it would make sense for them to all leave the country and somehow work together to attempt to take down Samaritan. It's going to be odd not having a week to week with the major players and no idea how Elias, Fusco, Control, Zoey came into the fold. Really hoping the 3 hackers are back.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was Jim caviezel shooting a movie or something this season? Don't get me wrong, I love Shaw and Root, but the dude goes from the star of the show to almost a secondary character, I'm pretty sure Shaw had more screen time in these last 2-3 eps than Reese did.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm ok with this, its about all of Team Machine not only about Finch and Reese anymore.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm fine with it, I love Shaw and especially Root, I was just wondering because it's very strange and you don't see it happening on shows usually

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Was Jim caviezel shooting a movie or something this season? Don't get me wrong, I love Shaw and Root, but the dude goes from the star of the show to almost a secondary character, I'm pretty sure Shaw had more screen time in these last 2-3 eps than Reese did.

Yes. I saw a trailer for When the Game Stands Tall. About a high school football team that loses after having been undefeated for a few years and the repercussions of the streak being broken. He plays the coach.

Karu

One of the best season finals period. Holy wow. Loved it from minute one. Person of Interest delivered big time.

This Show!

THIS.FUCKING.SHOW!!!

Once again Person of Interest cements it's place as one of the top shows on television right now. I mean this show could give most of cable and pay tv shows a run for their money.

M.Steiner

Wow, what a way to end the season. Really incredible finale from start to finish, especially the last few scenes. (Great use of the Radiohead song too I may add).
Season 4 is going to be very interesting. Guessing it will return in September like usual?

Zomba13

If POI wasn't renewed and that was the end of the series that would make a great (although dark) series finale. So so good.

Chariot

If POI wasn't renewed and that was the end of the series that would make a great (although dark) series finale. So so good.
I agree. They shoudln't have said, that they continue and just leave that matter hanging a month or two or at least until the finale.

Xenex

Can't wait for season 4.

I wonder how the team will pursue with the take down of Samaritan given that it they deviate from their fake lives they'll be killed.

Chariot

Can't wait for season 4.

I wonder how the team will pursue with the take down of Samaritan given that it they deviate from their fake lives they'll be killed.
Time for the new Team Machine: Elias, Zoe Morgan, Leon Tao, the Stewardess and a Lazarus Pit resurrected Ulrich Kohl.

Rokam

Thought this as well. I think when we eventually get to a series finale it'll probably be dark, but not quite as much as this episode.

Lyonaz

Good god, what a finale! This truly is my most favourite show. I wonder when the Blu-ray set is out.

Also RootxShaw forever! <3. They are fantastic together.

Rhaknar

I love Fusco, and I love how he calls Root "coco puffs" lol

Also, I know it's getting old drooling over Root but my god man, dat Acker. She was always going to be Illyria for me, but not any more, it's amazing how well she plays badass characters

Rhaknar

I know the stakes are much higher than him now, but whatever happened to Elias? Last I remember Carter had him hidden?

News Bot

Banned
I know the stakes are much higher than him now, but whatever happened to Elias? Last I remember Carter had him hidden?

Went into hiding and rebuilt his organization. We'll likely see him return in S4, and it'll be interesting how he factors in considering the expansion of scope.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
That was a great finale.

Can't wait to continue the show in Watch Dogs. :p

I wonder if Fusco is another wild card to both Samaritan and The Machine. I cant help but find it suspicious that John just so happens to slip up about The Machine to Fusco when there is a power outage and neither machine could detect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom