• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3: RELOAD | OT | REsocializing with Waifus

What Scores do you think Person 3: Reload will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

• 70-75%

• 76-79%

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Episode Aigis - The Answer occurs after the events of the main game so you aren't missing anything besides some background music (if you pay for it) by completing The Journey

I don't need any more BGM or costumes because I have the CE so I'll just wait for The Answer to be available standalone and buy that

Last edited:

Paltheos

I just finished the game. Some misgivings aside, this is the definitive version of Persona 3 imo. Looking forward to coming back in September to play Episode Aigis.

I‘m in the final month. I subbed out Mitsuru, and my final team is now Yukari, Koro and Aigis.

Aigis was underlevelled. One fight with the reaper with a 50% XP bonus equipment item took her from level 70 to 93 (!)

Just fine tuning my personas getting ready for the final boss. I won’t max out all the social links but that is kind of the point. Time is limited so make the best of it.

Same here. I'm definitely attracted to using some of those characters too, but Yukari/Aigis/Koro seems like the best final team overall. I played through the game swapping party members in and out actually, as a consequence of forcing one-night Tartarus runs every time, so I got a feel for everyone and am getting a hankering for drawing up a tier list. If any one even cares~:

eKnEfWD.png

S

Door-kun: No arguments from anyone, I trust.

A

Koromaru: Best boi. Koro's the fastest character in the game, kicking off just about every battle, and starts with endgame level evasion (and has high HP for some reason too). He's the only party member to naturally null two elements and does so from the moment you get him. Revolution's a decent if situational early game buff, and Getsu-ei's a great attacking skill early on if you time your Tartarus trips to near the full moon... or just bring Koro with you on full moon shadow hunts. Soul Shift is a whatever passive, but Koro tends to crit or hit a weakness enough that I got some use of it (and build gauge too thanks to his theurgy condition). He's also the only party member to learn an Almighty-elemental skill (that targets HP anyway) although I rarely used it because of Koro's one big problem until endgame - he's a huge SP hog already. He can attack with fire and dark magic, but his fire skills are multi-target only.

Endgame the way to go with Koro imo is to go all in on magic and buff/debuffs. He learns both Fire and Dark Amp to up his otherwise ok magic damage. He learns Masukukaja, although that's not my go-to because of my team loadout and because his trait is nutty - Auto-Masukunda at the start of every battle is crazy good. He also gets Debilitate at the very end, which is the best opener to all boss battles. For his SP issues, the armor that grants Regenerate 3 and Invigorate 3 is indispensable. I also plopped on the knife that gives him Dark Boost to raise Hound of Hades/Eigaon's damage further to impressive levels. Koro hits Theurgy allot just by virtue of going first all the time.

Yukari: the rock. Never really spectacular but always reliable. Gets all ze healing spells, learns wind magic at an ok pace. She stumbles a little after learning Amrita Drop and you have to decide between that and Me Patra for a while. Once you get Amrita Shower she's golden. I think I got some use from Pulinpa early on, but of her misc. skills I probably used Wind Break more (in the cases where she'd have nothing to do if she couldn't deal wind damage more). She has a naturally good magic stat but Wind Amp in endgame gives her damage some much needed oomph at that point.

Gaining Theurgy faster by healing is really useful! Outside of Door-kun, I think I used her Theurgy the most in the game. A trait that reduces SP cost for healing spells is also really useful. For endgame I made a point of equipping the female-only shoes that give Invigorate 3 onto her, freeing up the valuable accessory that does the same. I'm ok with her being the Persona main healer that doesn't get Salvation. Mediarahan usually does the trick and at a fraction of the cost.

Aigis: Has a rough start. Her starting skills are nothing to write home about. Dekunda's the only skill to live through that starting pool and even it's situational. She's probably best as a berserker in Orgia Mode.

Past the bad start, she just gets better and better. Diarama's an ok support skill, Fast Heal's a useful passive for keeping her going, and a low level Marakukaja is around the point where she starts showing her true value as a tank/support in midgame. Matarukaja not long after is just as great and after that is an onslaught of fantastic passives. Insta-Heal always keeps her in your control, Enduring Soul is just... crazy for not-Door-kun to be able to access, and Resist Phys in endgame toughens her up even more. Phys Amp is a great trait for boosting all of her physical damage - she gets only strike and pierce but most of the time that's enough. There's endgame armor that lets her null ailments completely too but she hardly needs that too.

B

Mitsuru: A little over the place in terms of build strategy throughout the game, but I like it. Rakunda is a staple throughout the game ofc, but miscellaneous status effects, from Tentarafoo for team confuses to, yes, Marin Karin, for charm to get me out of pinches have been things that I've done. Her personality and trait incentivize it too although my bread-and-butter with her still tended to be as an ice nuker. Spirit Drain is great midgame for stretching out Tartarus runs. Ice Break is non-negotiable for endgame as you shift away from misc. status to just casting ice magic as that's really all she becomes good for. Freeze Boost and Ailment Boost are there for some theurgy shenanigans though. Concentrate is a great skill ofc too and Diamond Dust is nice at endgame. Mitsuru is hamstrung for learning only Ice Boost and not Ice Amp, but that is a problem that can be corrected with an antique shop weapon that grants it (and +5 Magic!). Mitsuru's alright, but she does become kind of one-dimensional by the end. Also, I'm not sure but I think she took weakness hits more than anyone else on my team through the game.

Akihiko: His greatest asset is that he's the only permanent member of the team to have natural strike-type damage. Also that early game Tarunda - man, is that useful. Shock Boost too, now that I'm enumerating everything. So many things got paralyzed in my early Tartarus runs. Looking back, Aki's a character that generally gets worse as the game goes on. He goes 33 levels between physical skill upgrades, and that middle one in his skill set had already felt a long time coming. He gets Elec Boost and Elec Amp but his magic stat is so bad that it's hardly worth it. He's an SP hog too thanks to low max SP and demand from his other skills: Tarunda and Masukukaja and the occasional heal. Evade Ice is nice late game but doesn't earn him a slot by itself.

C

Ken: The mirror image of Koro in worse ways. He gets two attacking elements too but for some reason doesn't even get two resists (let alone nulls). For endgame he learns Heat Riser to pair off against Koro's Debiliate, but Heat Risker sucks lol ( SantaC SantaC ) - A three-stat buff on one team member is less useful than single, selected stat buffs for the whole party and worse too than a three-stat debuff on an enemy (presumably a boss). He learns team healing (and attacks with pierce-damage) like Yukari but... Yukari exists. A trait that grants him an Invigorate should be great and is good but never incentivized me to pick Ken over the other options available to me. It also runs counter to his gauge condition which is having low SP lol. The only unique thing about Ken is Dekaja and that's... fine. By endgame Debilitate is better than it too.

Junpei: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Junpei is the meme-origin of 'early game physical attacker who gets replaced in mid game'. For the majority of the game, he's just the physical attacker who can deal (bad) fire damage too. Poor dude doesn't even learn multi-target fire damage outside of Maragi. Once you get Mitsuru and Akihiko there's no reason not to bench him as they bring more attacking types to the table and have better support skills. By endgame, Aigis has offers better support, has better passives, and deals (maybe more?) consistent damage - even midgame Aigis is better really - and Koro deals fire damage on top of everything else he brings to the table. I confess I didn't give Junpei much of a try once the clock level-ups became available to see if crit boost, etc. and his theurgy would make any difference but the few times I took him back out I was unimpressed.

Shinjiro: One-dimensional. Auto-Heat Riser is a neat trait but he doesn't do anything but smack stuff and sometimes I got stonewalled. Early Regenerate 3 is cool though. All this said I still might actually prefer him over Junpei. Not sure.

Can someone tell me why the game's making me wait ..and wait ...and wait to be able to progress beyond floor 21 in Tarturus? This is really bad game design as whenever I talk to Mitsuri she tells me "tonight everyone's ready to go explore Tartarus" ..so naturally I'm thinking "Ok let's go and see if I'll finally be able to explore it" ..only to be told again it's blocked ..so now the player has wasted a night of improving stats since just going there and returning caused time to progress

One of the dumbest and most frustrating things I've experienced in a while in gaming. You are Punished for progressing too fast (even though up to now the game is easy as sin even on hard difficulty) and they don't give you any idea of when you will be able to continue. Actually they do the opposite. Dumb!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can someone tell me why the game's making me wait ..and wait ...and wait to be able to progress beyond floor 21 in Tarturus? This is really bad game design as whenever I talk to Mitsuri she tells me "tonight everyone's ready to go explore Tartarus" ..so naturally I'm thinking "Ok let's go and see if I'll finally be able to explore it" ..only to be told again it's blocked ..so now the player has wasted a night of improving stats since just going there and returning caused time to progress

One of the dumbest and most frustrating things I've experienced in a while in gaming. You are Punished for progressing too fast (even though up to now the game is easy as sin even on hard difficulty) and they don't give you any idea of when you will be able to continue. Actually they do the opposite. Dumb!
After each full moon boss fight the next floor to Tartarus opens up and time to time Elizabeth ask you to go to Tarturas to finding missing people wondering in there.

Paltheos

Danjin already answered your complaint but to add... wouldn't you have noticed the blockade is still there the instant you warped to the top floor? You could have just loaded your save from before going in, or you could use the game's rewind feature to leave (if you knew there's a rewind feature - well, there is!)

I'm already very familiar with the mechanic having played the original game too so it's a little tough for me to empathize, but I can understand some frustration the first time because the condition for removing the barricade isn't made clear. The design is solid though - the developers don't want you becoming too powerful for the next story fights, so they block off higher floors.

Cfh123

A very nice ending, and excellent story over-all. The denouement of the Sun social link was touching. I was over-leveled and playing on normal so the final boss fight, while interesting, was fairly easy.

This is my first time to the end of a Persona game, having two or three times gotten half way through P3, and twice half way through P4G.

The Remake of P3 was masterfully done. I am looking forward to the Answer DLC.

Now I am eyeing P4G - maybe I go back and try that one again. Either dust-off my Vita, or play it on the Xbox or Switch.

For P5 I would wait for a sale. Sadly I missed it while it was on GamePass.

Danjin already answered your complaint but to add... wouldn't you have noticed the blockade is still there the instant you warped to the top floor? You could have just loaded your save from before going in, or you could use the game's rewind feature to leave (if you knew there's a rewind feature - well, there is!)

I'm already very familiar with the mechanic having played the original game too so it's a little tough for me to empathize, but I can understand some frustration the first time because the condition for removing the barricade isn't made clear. The design is solid though - the developers don't want you becoming too powerful for the next story fights, so they block off higher floors.

Yes, I acknowledge that as soon as you get to floor 21 you see the blockade, the problem is there's no way of knowing when the blockade will lift except by going there which wastes time you could be doing social links. Yes, you can reminds time and reload a save but that's very inelegant and gets really old by the third time ...the nightmare scenario is what happened to me- if you cruise through Tartarus quickly like I apparently did you a) waste time both in game and real life and b) are likely to head into that subway boss fight underleveled because you're expecting the blockade to lift not necessarily a boss fight with a massive difficulty spike! I was level 10 and underleveled on Merciless so wound up wasting even more time having failed to be able to progress lest I have to lower the difficulty (which I don't want to do and you can't ever go back to merciless from Hard- more design stupidity).

All they needed to do was give us a hint as to the day the barricade will lift. Insane difficulty spike too on that boss battle. Would've been nice to know there's be a boss as I would've grindrd a bit. I have such a love/hate with this franchise. More of a hate right now.
I've lost more time and progress to this franchise than any other. In both P4 and P5 i accidentally deleted saved files and this games giving me flashbacks to the ptsd i have.

SantaC

I just finished the game. Some misgivings aside, this is the definitive version of Persona 3 imo. Looking forward to coming back in September to play Episode Aigis.

Same here. I'm definitely attracted to using some of those characters too, but Yukari/Aigis/Koro seems like the best final team overall. I played through the game swapping party members in and out actually, as a consequence of forcing one-night Tartarus runs every time, so I got a feel for everyone and am getting a hankering for drawing up a tier list. If any one even cares~:

eKnEfWD.png

S

Door-kun: No arguments from anyone, I trust.

A

Koromaru: Best boi. Koro's the fastest character in the game, kicking off just about every battle, and starts with endgame level evasion (and has high HP for some reason too). He's the only party member to naturally null two elements and does so from the moment you get him. Revolution's a decent if situational early game buff, and Getsu-ei's a great attacking skill early on if you time your Tartarus trips to near the full moon... or just bring Koro with you on full moon shadow hunts. Soul Shift is a whatever passive, but Koro tends to crit or hit a weakness enough that I got some use of it (and build gauge too thanks to his theurgy condition). He's also the only party member to learn an Almighty-elemental skill (that targets HP anyway) although I rarely used it because of Koro's one big problem until endgame - he's a huge SP hog already. He can attack with fire and dark magic, but his fire skills are multi-target only.

Endgame the way to go with Koro imo is to go all in on magic and buff/debuffs. He learns both Fire and Dark Amp to up his otherwise ok magic damage. He learns Masukukaja, although that's not my go-to because of my team loadout and because his trait is nutty - Auto-Masukunda at the start of every battle is crazy good. He also gets Debilitate at the very end, which is the best opener to all boss battles. For his SP issues, the armor that grants Regenerate 3 and Invigorate 3 is indispensable. I also plopped on the knife that gives him Dark Boost to raise Hound of Hades/Eigaon's damage further to impressive levels. Koro hits Theurgy allot just by virtue of going first all the time.

Yukari: the rock. Never really spectacular but always reliable. Gets all ze healing spells, learns wind magic at an ok pace. She stumbles a little after learning Amrita Drop and you have to decide between that and Me Patra for a while. Once you get Amrita Shower she's golden. I think I got some use from Pulinpa early on, but of her misc. skills I probably used Wind Break more (in the cases where she'd have nothing to do if she couldn't deal wind damage more). She has a naturally good magic stat but Wind Amp in endgame gives her damage some much needed oomph at that point.

Gaining Theurgy faster by healing is really useful! Outside of Door-kun, I think I used her Theurgy the most in the game. A trait that reduces SP cost for healing spells is also really useful. For endgame I made a point of equipping the female-only shoes that give Invigorate 3 onto her, freeing up the valuable accessory that does the same. I'm ok with her being the Persona main healer that doesn't get Salvation. Mediarahan usually does the trick and at a fraction of the cost.

Aigis: Has a rough start. Her starting skills are nothing to write home about. Dekunda's the only skill to live through that starting pool and even it's situational. She's probably best as a berserker in Orgia Mode.

Past the bad start, she just gets better and better. Diarama's an ok support skill, Fast Heal's a useful passive for keeping her going, and a low level Marakukaja is around the point where she starts showing her true value as a tank/support in midgame. Matarukaja not long after is just as great and after that is an onslaught of fantastic passives. Insta-Heal always keeps her in your control, Enduring Soul is just... crazy for not-Door-kun to be able to access, and Resist Phys in endgame toughens her up even more. Phys Amp is a great trait for boosting all of her physical damage - she gets only strike and pierce but most of the time that's enough. There's endgame armor that lets her null ailments completely too but she hardly needs that too.

B

Mitsuru: A little over the place in terms of build strategy throughout the game, but I like it. Rakunda is a staple throughout the game ofc, but miscellaneous status effects, from Tentarafoo for team confuses to, yes, Marin Karin, for charm to get me out of pinches have been things that I've done. Her personality and trait incentivize it too although my bread-and-butter with her still tended to be as an ice nuker. Spirit Drain is great midgame for stretching out Tartarus runs. Ice Break is non-negotiable for endgame as you shift away from misc. status to just casting ice magic as that's really all she becomes good for. Freeze Boost and Ailment Boost are there for some theurgy shenanigans though. Concentrate is a great skill ofc too and Diamond Dust is nice at endgame. Mitsuru is hamstrung for learning only Ice Boost and not Ice Amp, but that is a problem that can be corrected with an antique shop weapon that grants it (and +5 Magic!). Mitsuru's alright, but she does become kind of one-dimensional by the end. Also, I'm not sure but I think she took weakness hits more than anyone else on my team through the game.

Akihiko: His greatest asset is that he's the only permanent member of the team to have natural strike-type damage. Also that early game Tarunda - man, is that useful. Shock Boost too, now that I'm enumerating everything. So many things got paralyzed in my early Tartarus runs. Looking back, Aki's a character that generally gets worse as the game goes on. He goes 33 levels between physical skill upgrades, and that middle one in his skill set had already felt a long time coming. He gets Elec Boost and Elec Amp but his magic stat is so bad that it's hardly worth it. He's an SP hog too thanks to low max SP and demand from his other skills: Tarunda and Masukukaja and the occasional heal. Evade Ice is nice late game but doesn't earn him a slot by itself.

C

Ken: The mirror image of Koro in worse ways. He gets two attacking elements too but for some reason doesn't even get two resists (let alone nulls). For endgame he learns Heat Riser to pair off against Koro's Debiliate, but Heat Risker sucks lol ( SantaC SantaC ) - A three-stat buff on one team member is less useful than single, selected stat buffs for the whole party and worse too than a three-stat debuff on an enemy (presumably a boss). He learns team healing (and attacks with pierce-damage) like Yukari but... Yukari exists. A trait that grants him an Invigorate should be great and is good but never incentivized me to pick Ken over the other options available to me. It also runs counter to his gauge condition which is having low SP lol. The only unique thing about Ken is Dekaja and that's... fine. By endgame Debilitate is better than it too.

Junpei: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Junpei is the meme-origin of 'early game physical attacker who gets replaced in mid game'. For the majority of the game, he's just the physical attacker who can deal (bad) fire damage too. Poor dude doesn't even learn multi-target fire damage outside of Maragi. Once you get Mitsuru and Akihiko there's no reason not to bench him as they bring more attacking types to the table and have better support skills. By endgame, Aigis has offers better support, has better passives, and deals (maybe more?) consistent damage - even midgame Aigis is better really - and Koro deals fire damage on top of everything else he brings to the table. I confess I didn't give Junpei much of a try once the clock level-ups became available to see if crit boost, etc. and his theurgy would make any difference but the few times I took him back out I was unimpressed.

Shinjiro: One-dimensional. Auto-Heat Riser is a neat trait but he doesn't do anything but smack stuff and sometimes I got stonewalled. Early Regenerate 3 is cool though. All this said I still might actually prefer him over Junpei. Not sure.
Good writeup but the best way to play against bosses is to let the other party members buff and debuff the MC and he will take care of the rest with how powerful he is.

Thats why koro cast deb and ken heat riser on MC.

Cfh123

Well I took the plunge and got P4G. It was on sale on the Xbox for $16 CDN. The Persona games have such a charming cast that you kind of miss them when it is over.

I could have dusted off my Vita, but I'd like to try P4G on a bigger screen. My eyes are not what they used to be for reading things on small screens.

It will be interesting to play P4G after P3 Reload. I remember the combat was a bit challenging in P4G, which is good because I found P3 Reload on normal a bit too easy.

I will stay clear of guides for social links as I think it is best to experience them organically.

I remember P4G was pretty slick on the Vita back in the day. I only got about half-way through P4G so I'll see how far I get now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's a good point. I guess I mostly play them for the story, but when the combat is a cakewalk it does detract from the experience.
For me I enjoyed Persona/ SMT combat system enough to play on harder difficulty to have fun and not just cheese through It, that would be just boring.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm surprised no one in this thread has mentioned it, but I guess there's an Expansion pass coming?? Episode Aigis coming in September, along with more costumes and music before that. Ugh, I might've held off on my playthrough of this game for a few months since there's going to be more DLC added with it, and I'm just on the final part of the game now.
I’m glad I went ahead and played the main game now. I really enjoyed it but I was ready for a break at the end of such a long game and wouldn’t want to jump straight into a 30-40 hour DLC.

Toriumi's VA having a seizure is the highlight of the remake version of this cutscene. JP voice of course LMAO

Spoilers for the game ending if you have Hermit Social Link at Rank 10 when you finish but seriously this is not main story related at all

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I finally picked this up and have literally just started (haven't even summoned Orpheus on the roof yet) but couldn't believe the comment about the flowers on the school roof during the first day.

When you check the flowers by the middle set of benches it tells you they're dying, while the ones on the other benches are all healthy.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I grabbed it on sale, $70 USD was too much for a PS2 remake but I'll bite at almost half off. Never played Persona 3 in any version before. Beat the first main story boss last night, enjoying it so far. Can really see how P3 and P4 share a lot of the same DNA and then P5 built on top of that like crazy. Hoping there's more variety in ways to spend time opening up soon.

Top Bottom