• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3: RELOAD | OT | REsocializing with Waifus

What Scores do you think Person 3: Reload will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66-69%

• 70-75%

• 76-79%

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hate to say it, getting pretty boring. Got to a dungeon block so cant do that anymore. So just went through over a week of just talking to people. Virtually every conversation is about almost literally ... nothing. No minigames either. Just eat ramen and talk about nothing. Study. Etc. Etc. Waiting for something to happen at this point. Still zero lore or actual info about the main plot. At 9 hrs.
Main story missions happens in every full moon, between that time you do other side activity, clubs and interacting S.link and progressing through Tartarus, that is gameplay loop of this game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got to floor 20 on my first run then bailed out. Ran out of SP healing items to keep pushing.

Game is a whole ass vibe.

DISTURBING THE PEACE!!!!
200.gif

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I played FES and so far Reload does everything better than FES.....combat, Tartarus, able to control your party members, visuals and no fatigue system the new system they added to the combat.
Obviously, everything you've mentioned is miles better than what was on PS2 and even in FES, cuz it's a modern take on the formula + miles better visuals (except lack of SSAO and proper lighting in various areas) closer to what P5 had. I can't say no to all that cuz it looks amazing and works great(y)
This is where you should decide to skip the launch and buy P3R+ edition next year.
We'll see :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Danjin44

Obviously, everything you've mentioned is miles better than what was on PS2 and even in FES, cuz it's a modern take on the formula + miles better visuals (except lack of SSAO and proper lighting in various areas) closer to what P5 had. I can't say no to all that cuz it looks amazing and works great(y)
Persona 3 Reload does so many things right that its hard for me to be upset about not including The Answer or FeMC.....In fact the moment they mentioned its going to have anime cutscenes, I knew it wont have FeMC, that was only possible because Portable version took out all anime cutscenes.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So iv noticed you can't join the Kendo team anymore (and I assume the swim team), you just get track. Bit of a weird change considering there's no anime cutscenes to use an excuse of "it would be too hard to do" for some people.

I'm now wondering what other base game content is going to have been cut. I know they got rid of the early nightmare of the fatigue system (I'm not sure I like the new shard system either though) it's a remake changes are expected, but I was expecting at least the base game stuff to be in it.

Last edited:
So iv noticed you can't join the Kendo team anymore (and I assume the swim team), you just get track. Bit of a weird change considering there's no anime cutscenes to use an excuse of "it would be too hard to do" for some people.

I'm now wondering what other base game content is going to have been cut. I know they got rid of the early nightmare of the fatigue system (I'm not sure I like the new shard system either though) it's a remake it's expected, but I was expecting at least the base game stuff to be in it.
I wonder if it will be in the FES DLC?

Danjin44

From I remember no matter which one you join it still was same S.link with Kazushi, im guessing they thought it was unnecessary.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
From I remember no matter which one you join it still was same S.link with Kazushi, im guessing they thought it was unnecessary.

In a "Role" Playing Game, that's always a slippery slope, if only Baldurs Gate III had come out earlier to highlight how collections of "unnecessary" things help build a character for a player.

Would have been nice for Newgame+

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Around 1 hour to get to THE DUNGEON isn’t that bad compared to P4 and 5, I guess. This one cuts to the chase much faster.

I’m not particularly feeling the music so far. The setting looks nice, though. So many shops in that commercial district, ugh.

The male teammates feel quite lacklustre so far. But Yukari is absolutely smoking :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I’m playing with Japanese VA, of course. I think playing these games in English makes as much sense as doing that in Yakuza. This is Japan distilled, why would you play these in English?!

Krathoon

ATLUS loves to release better versions of Persona games for years and years now (they even did it Tokyo Mirage and actully made it far worse). FES, Golden, Royal, are all better than original games as well as welcome additions made to the PSP version by adding female character. They could've combined the best parts of all versions and make the best and definitive one once and for all, but instead we've got just another one to add to the pile and for effin' $70 no less, digitally ffs, without a disc, a cover and a case.

This changes absolutely nothing. FES is better, so is Golden and Royal. There's no excuse to completely ignore the FES version and not to add female character from Portable, unless... unless a few years later they'll charge you $70 again for what should've been in this version from the start.
I agree. It is a money making tactic. They don't really value people's time.

Hate to keep harping on it, but wow, the English va is just crap and unenthusiastic. Can't take much more of Junpei's "let's go party people". Wish you could just mute specific party members. Anyone tried the Japanese audio yet?

Danjin44

Hate to keep harping on it, but wow, the English va is just crap and unenthusiastic. Can't take much more of Junpei's "let's go party people". Wish you could just mute specific party members. Anyone tried the Japanese audio yet?
I’m playing on Japanese audio, for me it’s much more natural. If the game has Japanese setting with Japanese characters they should speak Japanese.

Last edited:

Arsic

I find all the voice acting in English top notch. Did they use different VAs for this one compared to the original?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I find all the voice acting in English top notch. Did they use different VAs for this one compared to the original?
I'm playing English. The convenience of just pressing auto on voiced cutscenes outweighs any quality difference. It just sounds like standard anime VA. They also call out various things in battle constantly.

Mostly. Could be one or two that are the same, but not sure. Elizabeth sounds the same, maybe. Yukari's English va just sounds flat and uninspired. Like when you heal her sometimes she just lets out this weak whimper. Junepei is just super annoying. Some va decided to make his voice sound higher than his own natural range and it sounds so contrived. Doesn't help that he never shuts up either lol. Luckily he's THAT character that all Personas have: the main protag's buddy who's super OP early on, but basically worthless later on, like Yosuke and Ryuji. Gonna ditch him as soon as better party members arrive.

Arsic

Mostly. Could be one or two that are the same, but not sure. Elizabeth sounds the same, maybe. Yukari's English va just sounds flat and uninspired. Like when you heal her sometimes she just lets out this weak whimper. Junepei is just super annoying. Some va decided to make his voice sound higher than his own natural range and it sounds so contrived. Doesn't help that he never shuts up either lol. Luckily he's THAT character that all Personas have: the main protag's buddy who's super OP early on, but basically worthless later on, like Yosuke and Ryuji. Gonna ditch him as soon as better party members arrive.

I don’t have another voice to compare him to. His voice is good to me not annoying at all. Everyone shitting on him in game too is whack since he’s trying to be friendly to everyone. Man tries to feel confident then any female character has to slap him down 20 pegs. Like leave my man alone. If I could make my main character gay I’d just Romance Junpei to piss off these THOTs.

Last edited:

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
I miss Junpei's "Home Run!" quote during a critical attack. It's like they forgot he plays baseball.

And his voice is higher than I like. Vic did a better job imo. Most of the VA work in english is hit or miss. Fuuka is a vast improvement though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Clairvoyant Relic has kicked my ass 3x. I'm open to suggestions. Not sure what the benefit of blocking is here. Yes, you dont get hit with your weakness but you also will just sit there and not get to attack or heal.

Clairvoyant Relic has kicked my ass 3x. I'm open to suggestions. Not sure what the benefit of blocking is here. Yes, you dont get hit with your weakness but you also will just sit there and not get to attack or heal.
sorry bruh I been playin yakuza actually but its persona so it'll be something like keep nerfing one of his stats while buffing yours (e.g like lower his agility while raising yours) or find the one status effect that works on him

Fuse a persona that resists his damage type, even if it's a few levels below what you normally would use that'll stop u having to block all the time

you might have to do some fusions to acquire the needed abilities

Last edited:

BazookaBadger

Gold Member

You have access to any debuffs? I think I managed to lower accuracy and def on it. I think this was the boss that I got lucky with the shock status.

Didn't struggle with bosses yet, but the Lustful Snake enemy a bit higher up almost killed me. That one is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Around 1 hour to get to THE DUNGEON isn’t that bad compared to P4 and 5, I guess. This one cuts to the chase much faster.

I’m not particularly feeling the music so far. The setting looks nice, though. So many shops in that commercial district, ugh.
I mean this sounds like the OG music done by the singer of P5, it's not in her range
It's very modern sounding while P3 was very 2000's sounding
But P3 music is definitely the best of the bunch followed by P4G, P5 is okay
I ain't really into that type of music but I can't deny how good it is as it gets in your head, it just not performed good as the original imo
The male teammates feel quite lacklustre so far. But Yukari is absolutely smoking :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I’m playing with Japanese VA, of course. I think playing these games in English makes as much sense as doing that in Yakuza. This is Japan distilled, why would you play these in English?!
Hard disagree, maybe you understand Japanese but they might as well have no voice without a English dub
The English dub is great and despite not being the same actors they're doing a great job imo
Everyone hates Junpei but he was the only one who cared when Chidori wanted to commit suicide.

JUSTICE FOR JUNPEI
I love Junpei, he is the life of the party

iorek21

15h in, still in the beginning but for now I can safely say that I still prefer P5 over this.

The fact that palaces are handcrafted in PS5 makes a huge difference when exploring and fighting. Tartarus is basically a worse version of Mementos; I was hoping Atlus would at least make it more interesting like they did with Royal but oh well…

I hope that in the inevitable P4 remake they handcraft the Midnight Channel.

Last edited:

Arsic

15h in, still in the beginning but for now I can safely say that I still prefer P5 over this.

The fact that palaces are handcrafted in PS5 makes a huge difference when exploring and fighting. Tartarus is basically a worse version of Mementos; I was hoping Atlus would at least make it more interesting like they did with Royal but oh well…

I hope that in the inevitable P4 remake they handcraft the Midnight Channel.

I’m almost about to tap out of this game.

P4 is peak. Persona 5 drags and I had to force myself to finish it for the last fourth.

This? I’m floor 42 I think? I’m ready to call it quits. Nothing has happened in the story. Tartar sauce is boring. None of the social links have an interesting beat.

How do people like this? A game should not take this long to pick up. A strong 2-3 hour intro into just the worst pacing ever.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m almost about to tap out of this game.

P4 is peak. Persona 5 drags and I had to force myself to finish it for the last fourth.

This? I’m floor 42 I think? I’m ready to call it quits. Nothing has happened in the story. Tartar sauce is boring. None of the social links have an interesting beat.

How do people like this? A game should not take this long to pick up. A strong 2-3 hour intro into just the worst pacing ever.
Kinda where I'm at. I'll give it another go this weekend. Losing interest fast. This has happened with every entry for me.

I do like the battle system generally, and the art style though. The story is really a gigantic let down though considering 90% of the game is a glacially paced visual novel.

Last edited:

JayK47

These are 100 hour games. If you do not have the endurance for it, why even bother? You keep going back hoping it will suddenly be something different?

Arsic

Kinda where I'm at. I'll give it another go this weekend. Losing interest fast. This has happened with every entry for me.

I do like the battle system generally, and the art style though. The story is really a gigantic let down though considering 90% of the game is a glacially paced visual novel.
Maybe I’m too old now for a game like this? Where the way the game is constructed doesn’t allow to pace itself with a bit of combat here, then some story, then go do what you want, etc.

Here it’s just “heavily focus on getting to next tower gate”, and now the combat is all done for weeks in game until the next full moon. Now it’s all just padding, and then you get a sliver of story. Repeat.

Arsic

These are 100 hour games. If you do not have the endurance for it, why even bother? You keep going back hoping it will suddenly be something different?
I’ve completed P4&5. Plenty of 100+ hour long games.

The issue here is the construction of the games elements. It creates dog shit pacing.

The reason I’m going back is I keep thinking I’ll hit a point where the game injects more main story beats that aren’t separated by 2 weeks off watching some perv want to bang his teacher while we eat ramen.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe I’m too old now for a game like this? Where the way the game is constructed doesn’t allow to pace itself with a bit of combat here, then some story, then go do what you want, etc.

Here it’s just “heavily focus on getting to next tower gate”, and now the combat is all done for weeks in game until the next full moon. Now it’s all just padding, and then you get a sliver of story. Repeat.
Combat is basically Etrian Odyssey. Battle system is pretty good honestly. Run along a grid dungeon, and grind and fight. That's generally fine. I've played old school Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, simplistic dungeon crawlers. It's not amazing, but I get it.

The visual novel and dating stuff so far is just pretty bad. I have enjoyed many visual novels. Usually if you take virtually all control from the player like that, you reward them with an engrossing story. It's just not there. The writing is truly terrible at times. Entire conversations happen that are objectively pointless.

The droning OST with horrible recording instrument choice doesn't help the feeling of being stuck in a bland game going nowhere.

Anyway, I'm not totally bailing yet. Since the game is so segmented, it's easy to take a break and come back to it and grind whatever battles or school stuff is ahead. I'd like to see if it improves. If nothing else, the battles are better than I expected with some interesting character switching and polished QoL features. It's mostly everything outside of battles that is really poorly designed and underwhelming so far. But we'll see, I feel like the story literally still hasn't started yet. Maybe it gets better.

JayK47

I’ve completed P4&5. Plenty of 100+ hour long games.

The issue here is the construction of the games elements. It creates dog shit pacing.

The reason I’m going back is I keep thinking I’ll hit a point where the game injects more main story beats that aren’t separated by 2 weeks off watching some perv want to bang his teacher while we eat ramen.
I wonder if they maintained the pacing of the original. It has been so long for me, it will feel like new. I did appreciate the better dungeons in Persona 5. Made the grind more tolerable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The new Monad halls and passages are kinda .. well kinda disappointing ?

They're just a single corridor with a single fight then a chest or two at the end. Yes, the passages have the extra arcana's at the end, but it just feels like tacked on busy-work on an already mammoth Tartarus.

Gexxy1

Down to my last week now.

Live with Determination hits home.

New things added I like:
Voice over for all links (first time in a persona game).
Menu is beautifully animated.
More stuff to do in Tartarus- visually appealing, all the major Arcana's added in shuffle time, more chests, more items, etc.
New voice actors are all great.
Some of the s-link episodes for the male party members are great. Liked Shinji's the most.

Neutral on:
Monad doors were fun at first, but they're all just the same thing with different bosses.
Kinda wish they added more depth/modified some of the S-links from the original, because some of them still aren't very good. Looks like they played it a little to safe there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda wish they added more depth/modified some of the S-links from the original, because some of them still aren't very good. Looks like they played it a little to safe there.

I haven't played OG or FES in a while, but it looks like the social link script is 1 : 1 with some minor verbiage modifications.

I can kinda see why, but yeah, like you said, it's a bit disappointing that it isn't expanded. I forgot just how quick some of the social link events are, just like 10 lines of dialogue and that's it.

That's something they improved a lot over time for P4 and 5.

Last edited:

Gexxy1

Finished the game last night. That ending hits like a truck man...I love the story and characters so much.

The epilogue on the final day for every link you maxed out were longer than I remember. They might have expanded on those.

I didn't get a chance to fight the game's optional super-boss, so I'll try that on a ng+ playthrough.

Overall, while not all changes were welcome, for the most part this was an exceptional remake of a classic game. Reload is absolutely the best version of Persona 3.

Last edited:

Horatius

floor 40 early quitter bros, don't do it. the story in this game is well worth continuing, by far the best story of any of the persona games.

Top Bottom