• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Caladrius

I never fought her. I have no idea what went wrong. On 3/20 I checked the velvet room and she was here in the front and the good bye scene happened to her and I could never get back into the room. Later right after the final dungeon I could meet her again in the room but nothing happened even when I ask her if she had any more resquest. Maybe I should have had asked her that before the last days ? Or complete her s link before the culprit's dungeon (before december 22) instead of march 20.

Welp. I still need to beat her and get Izanagi no Okami... Also get all Rise's line... 3rd playthrough here I come I guess.

Also, does the reapers always drop a super awesome weapons ? I got my main and Yokuse's in this playthrouh. So... Naoto is the hardest one to get I guess haha. Kanji's fighting with the Guardian is hilarious

You have to finish Empress before the December dungeon. I keep copies of the demons she asks for so I can finish the link as soon as it starts.
And you have to go into the Velvet room right after Igor gives you the Orb of Sight. If you talk to the gas station attendant before going back in you can't fight Margaret.

The only really good weapons for the Reaper are for Kanji and the MC. The other characters' reaper weapons are outclassed by the ones with passive effects. If you get all the weapons you can start earning very good armor for the party members. If you get armor for all of your party members and beat him one more time you get an accessory that makes the holder immune to almost everything. (
Margaret
kills you if you use it though.)

calder

I got a Vita the other day and finally bought P4G yesterday. Holy shit at that opening, what a showcase for the Vita's screen.

Because I'm boring as hell I gave my guy the canon "Yu" name. Really enjoying just exploring the town so far.

Hayabusi

Sorry if already posted in the first post (did not see it):
Is there any special reason to buy it retail?

I just got my psvita here in Japan (in exchange for a beer ^^) and since I will fly back to Germany in two weeks I wanted to buy it now through the European PSN.

THX!

omg_mjd

Was having a rough day so I booted up P3P to distract myself when suddenly a familiar face showed up.

vvuQaqLO

All better now.

Hayabusi

Bought and downloaded it yesterday and I really like it already.

Did play only around 5-10 minutes but I don't know, there is something with the setting in the present that I really like.
Perhaps it is because I stayed in Japan for 6 months now and I am about to leave.

But yeah, really like it so far and if there are more RPGs of that kind, please tell me! :-D

Caladrius

digging the winter/snow theme.

these 3rd form persona things are pretty neat... but these unique skills are pretty heavy on the mp.

You can get a chakra ring if you beat the
Heaven
boss on a return trip and search around the room.

Shield of justice and dragon hustle on only 75 MP is amazing.

So, I'm 50 hours through my first playthrough, I can't imagine there's any way I'm going to max all S. Links and get all trophies, so I'm wondering what sort of things can I do in the remainder of my playthrough to make life easy during NG+?
What carries over? Should I spent my time reading, working and studying rather than on S. links to raise my stats seeing as S.links don't carry over?

Also, is there some way of checking my stats, like how high my expression, courage etc are?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I'm 50 hours through my first playthrough, I can't imagine there's any way I'm going to max all S. Links and get all trophies, so I'm wondering what sort of things can I do in the remainder of my playthrough to make life easy during NG+?
What carries over? Should I spent my time reading, working and studying rather than on S. links to raise my stats seeing as S.links don't carry over?

Also, is there some way of checking my stats, like how high my expression, courage etc are?

Yeah, your personal stats should be available in the menu.

In NG+, your compendium carries over, along with your personal stats, so you don't need to study any more at least. Probably the most significant difference is that you can customize the difficulty - so you can have monsters drop more money but still be hard to fight (assuming you still want the challenge but don't want to grind as much).

Wow, I didn't know I could see my stats in the understanding screen by pressing square! Doh.

After avoiding spoilers the whole 6 months I've been playing I just accidentally saw what the hidden trophies are and they seemed like major spoilers :-(

Dumb question but do I need to register personas every time I get a new one? Or is it automatic?

At what level should I go back to try and beat the additional bosses from the first two dungeons?

Caladrius

Dumb question but do I need to register personas every time I get a new one? Or is it automatic?

At what level should I go back to try and beat the additional bosses from the first two dungeons?

They're automatically registered. You only need to register if you want to replace the persona with a better version of it or want to save the required personas for the empress link.

I'd wait until you got to at least 2 dungeons later. (so about 10-15 levels later.) The castle boss in particular is very hard if you try it too early.

They're automatically registered. You only need to register if you want to replace the persona with a better version of it or want to save the required personas for the empress link.

I'd wait until you got to at least 2 dungeons later. (so about 10-15 levels later.) The castle boss in particular is very hard if you try it too early.

So once I have them in my inventory they're saved. It's just if I use them and level them up that I'll want to register?

Okay awesome. That changes things. I was scared to let personas go because I didn't want to lose them.

Amy suggestions for early level fusions? I'm on the forth dungeon and its early July.

Caladrius

So once I have them in my inventory they're saved. It's just if I use them and level them up that I'll want to register?

Okay awesome. That changes things. I was scared to let personas go because I didn't want to lose them.

Amy suggestions for early level fusions? I'm on the forth dungeon and its early July.

Later on you can use it to help spread good skills onto a lot of junk persona for fusion ingredients. Even later on (as in New Game plus guff) it's really convenient if you're trying to make an uber-powered custom persona.

Are you talking about the
Strip Club
or
Video Game
?

For the former grab a Unicorn, since it's immune to the boss's elemental attacks and for the latter; try and get to level 38 so you can get a Black frost. If you grind that up to level 43 he'll get Mind charge, Fire Amp and Agidyne, which makes him good for doing a good deal of damage fast enough to counter the boss's defensive strategy, or at the very least do a ton of damage to him before he engages it.

I'm only a few hours in, got my 2nd part member. I changed my tactics to direct so that it plays more like a turn based rpg that I'm use to and I can control everyone. IS there any reason NOT to do this? Thanks

Grinchy

Banned
I beat it with the bad ending at 68 hours and went back to get the true ending. My brother just told me he beat it in 48 hours with the bad ending and went back. I have no idea how he got through the game in 48 hours. He must have skipped every side quest or something. Plus I guess he knew early on that you can kill the hands really easily with almighty damage so he was probably overleveled, but still. I don't get it.

I beat it with the bad ending at 68 hours and went back to get the true ending. My brother just told me he beat it in 48 hours with the bad ending and went back. I have no idea how he got through the game in 48 hours. He must have skipped every side quest or something. Plus I guess he knew early on that you can kill the hands really easily with almighty damage so he was probably overleveled, but still. I don't get it.

What is almighty damage? I've killed like 3 hands total and I'm 30 hours in. I can't seem to kill them fast enough.

I'm playing through the game and I think I encountered two bugs.

1. I'm currently in the summer break and the music on sunny days is absent while running around, for the most part. It played when I'm on the city menu picking a destination, but as soon as I hit the market or the flood plains, the music stops. It's been five years since I played the original so I don't remember if it was also like that, but this definitely feels off-putting. There's only been one sunny day so far where the music was playing, and the one after that lacked music again. Weird.

2. The old lady running the shop at night wouldn't take my bugs until I used all of the generic ones first. You know when she tells you that her fish is tired of eating the same thing you've been giving him ? Well I had tons of other bugs in my inventory, but she kept on giving me crumbs while telling me that her pet was tired of eating the same thing. So I went fishing and used up all of them, then returned to the old lady the following night and she accepted my other bugs.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

edit: also, question : I just want to make sure, but Personae caught in dungeons must be added to my inventory list for them to be auto-registered, right ? The game confuses a little, as when you obtain a new persona it says "you welcomed so and so into your heart", but if you immediately discard it instead of making room for him it seems to not be added to the compendium. Am I correct ?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm playing through the game and I think I encountered two bugs.

1. I'm currently in the summer break and the music on sunny days is absent while running around, for the most part. It played when I'm on the city menu picking a destination, but as soon as I hit the market or the flood plains, the music stops. It's been five years since I played the original so I don't remember if it was also like that, but this definitely feels off-putting. There's only been one sunny day so far where the music was playing, and the one after that lacked music again. Weird.

2. The old lady running the shop at night wouldn't take my bugs until I used all of the generic ones first. You know when she tells you that her fish is tired of eating the same thing you've been giving him ? Well I had tons of other bugs in my inventory, but she kept on giving me crumbs while telling me that her pet was tired of eating the same thing. So I went fishing and used up all of them, then returned to the old lady the following night and she accepted my other bugs.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

edit: also, question : I just want to make sure, but Personae caught in dungeons must be added to my inventory list for them to be auto-registered, right ? The game confuses a little, as when you obtain a new persona it says "you welcomed so and so into your heart", but if you immediately discard it instead of making room for him it seems to not be added to the compendium. Am I correct ?

The no music thing happened to me and I'm pretty sure it was the same in vanilla.

2nd one am I not sure of.

Yes, you have to add a persona to your inventory in order for it to be registered, discarding it before hand will not add it to the compendium.

It's super weird. School just started and the music plays at school, but not on the roof or anywhere else (except the menu). But then sunday came, it was sunny and the music played everywhere ! But the next monday, the music went missing again.

If this was in the original PS2 game, it's baffling that the bug carried over to the Vita five years later.

edit: I just remembered: locked treasure chests can also be opened with wheat. LOL.

Megido spells.
How do I get those?

So I have another question for everyone. I understand something happens on December 3rd. I don't know what and I don't want it spoiled. My understanding is you have to have certain social links at certain levels by that date. Is there a list that says what level I should be at without spoiling what is going to happen?

This is a great thread btw. Thanks for all the answers. I know I'm late to the party.

Trigger

How do I get those?

So I have another question for everyone. I understand something happens on December 3rd. I don't know what and I don't want it spoiled. My understanding is you have to have certain social links at certain levels by that date. Is there a list that says what level I should be at without spoiling what is going to happen?

This is a great thread btw. Thanks for all the answers. I know I'm late to the party.

Something important does happen on the 3rd, but you can save before then. As far as social links are concerned,
you need to have Jester at rank 6 before November. Before the end of December you need to have maxed the Aeon social link. Both become unavailable after their deadlines, but I won't say why.

RE megido spells: Some personae carry them. I think Emperor Toth has one almighty spell. It's pretty common amongst the higher level personae.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do I get those?

The Megido spells come from higher level Persona. Naoto gets them naturally, which is why she's one of the stronger characters in the game.

December 3 is essentially when you start the End Game, without saying anything more.

the game just froze on me. Over sixty hours in, I fused a persona and the game froze right after seeing my new persona, right before the velvet room menu reappeared. Has this happened to anyone else ?

bnx

the game just froze on me. Over sixty hours in, I fused a persona and the game froze right after seeing my new persona, right before the velvet room menu reappeared. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Hmm, I'm nearly done with my 3rd play through, and haven't had a single freeze at all.

To all, is it possible to fuse the ultimate Jester/Hunger Persona in a single play through? Or, does the game end before I have the chance? I'm positive thats the last persona I need for the 100% percent compendium trophy and it would kinda suck if I couldn't fuse it on my current play through.

Thanks.

Caladrius

Hmm, I'm nearly done with my 3rd play through, and haven't had a single freeze at all.

To all, is it possible to fuse the ultimate Jester/Hunger Persona in a single play through? Or, does the game end before I have the chance? I'm positive thats the last persona I need for the 100% percent compendium trophy and it would kinda suck if I couldn't fuse it on my current play through.

Thanks.

He is fusable before the end of the game.
You need to get the True ending though.

Finally finished my first playthrough of P4G - nearly 100 hours playtime.

Totally loved it. Basically combines the fixes I used to get playing JRPGs and watching anime when I was younger.

I appreciated all the convenience added over P3. Boss fights seemed easier than P3:FES, but maybe it's just because you have so much more save freedom going through the dungeons.

KuroNeeko

Picked this up for my brand new Vita the other day and I'm really impressed.

I'm a little sad I can't enjoy the english localization as Atlus has a nice translation team, but the writing in the Japanese version is just as good. I like the little touches like how they use only hiragana with the occasional low-level kanji for Nanako's speech and how they've managed to make some clever puns with Kuma's name.

Still only about 4 hours or so in and I just
defeated the Shadow version of Chie
so it looks like the training wheels are about to come off.

The monster / persona designs are really hit or miss. I really liked
Shadow Chie's
bad ass monster design and the amount of effort they put into attack / idle animations. That said, I don't really care for
the design on her Tomoe persona.

I went with Hard for my first playthrough and it doesn't disappoint. I barely scraped through the first two bosses in the game. :/

Just curious, can you swap your party members personas later in the game or are they set?

Audioboxer

This game is ruining my life right now. Never did get that far into Persona 4 on the PS2,now I know what I've been missing.

Seriously hope P5 is PS3/PS4 or Vita.

Sorian

Banned
This game is ruining my life right now. Never did get that far into Persona 4 on the PS2,now I know what I've been missing.

Seriously hope P5 is PS3/PS4 or Vita.

No wai dood, I hope P5 is on the master system (3DS). PORT BEGGING!

I'm kidding, I can't see a world where it isn't PS4/Vita cross-play

Omikaru

It's not really port begging since the game hasn't been announced. I just think that anyone who seriously believes it will be a 3DS game is thinking very wishfully! :p

I'm sure once it is announced, and it is on the platform it is on, then platform talk will be frowned upon once the initial salty thread has been locked.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's not really port begging since the game hasn't been announced. I just think that anyone who seriously believes it will be a 3DS game is thinking very wishfully! :p

I'm sure once it is announced, and it is on the platform it is on, then platform talk will be frowned upon once the initial salty thread has been locked.

Right, which is why I always tell people not to worry about it ending up on 3DS. :)

So I'm in my first playthrough, and I'm trying to farm the Reaper for the first time. I'm doing the Yukiko's castle method, and have no trouble getting the chains to start sounding, but I just can't seem to find the damn Reaper! I understand how it all works, but I''ve reset and ran through to the 22nd chest probably 20 times, and the thing just won't spawn.

Is my difficulty setting screwing me over? Should I wait for NG+ or Magatsu Inaba to do this? Am I just being screwed by the RNG?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So I'm in my first playthrough, and I'm trying to farm the Reaper for the first time. I'm doing the Yukiko's castle method, and have no trouble getting the chains to start sounding, but I just can't seem to find the damn Reaper! I understand how it all works, but I''ve reset and ran through to the 22nd chest probably 20 times, and the thing just won't spawn.

Is my difficulty setting screwing me over? Should I wait for NG+ or Magatsu Inaba to do this? Am I just being screwed by the RNG?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nah, I remember doing it on easy, but not getting him to spawn until about the second or third time. So, it's probably just the RNG screwing with you.

Top Bottom