• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Sakujou

Banned
hi there, i did not read anything in this thread, i just started playing this game and it is good, like it already more than persona 3 which was too strange as well as the tarot cards were playing such a big role and it didnt click to me after 20 hours.

so iam 4hours in the game, its nice but i have one issue:

when iam walking around its blurry. its this... how should i put it... emulator-ish blurry. like it got ported in a bad way or as i would try to play it with wrong settings on a emulator.

iam playing the us version on my german vita. but i think this is not the problem, maybe its an issue of the game itself? also i didnt update my vita for 1 year? because i dont have wifi at the moment.

was there a patch recently which gets rid of this problem?

am i the only one with this problem?

love the colors n stuff, but it certainly is a ps2-game and i dont see any enhanced stuff. maybe the menu and the colors look good on the screen, but thats it....? is there a page with a comparison?

thanks for your answers!

EMT0

Banned
hi there, i did not read anything in this thread, i just started playing this game and it is good, like it already more than persona 3 which was too strange as well as the tarot cards were playing such a big role and it didnt click to me after 20 hours.

so iam 4hours in the game, its nice but i have one issue:

when iam walking around its blurry. its this... how should i put it... emulator-ish blurry. like it got ported in a bad way or as i would try to play it with wrong settings on a emulator.

iam playing the us version on my german vita. but i think this is not the problem, maybe its an issue of the game itself? also i didnt update my vita for 1 year? because i dont have wifi at the moment.

was there a patch recently which gets rid of this problem?

am i the only one with this problem?

love the colors n stuff, but it certainly is a ps2-game and i dont see any enhanced stuff. maybe the menu and the colors look good on the screen, but thats it....? is there a page with a comparison?

thanks for your answers!

Sorry to disappoint, but that's due to Persona 4 Golden not being rendered to the Vita's native resolution and instead being stretched. As I understand it, it barely fails to be native res, which really sucks. And as far as I know, there's no fix, but I'd pay good money for a patch that fixes it, tbh.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, I am back into this shit with a vengeance. I can't stop playing now. IT'S CONSUMING ME. This should not exist in handheld form, it's evil lol

Also these "network" features crack me up. It seems always to be the same four people hitting me back, I feel like it's just us five in like a fake pseudo party giving each other little jizz loads of HP and SP every so often hehe. However, I do feel this feature breaks the balance (worse than you could already break the balance with any decent fusion), so I doubt I'll use it much longer.

mstevens

I'm kinda new to the site, so I'm not sure if discussing trophies is against the rules... Please let me know so I can delete if necessary:

I'm having a really hard time with the
Hardcore Risette Fan
trophy. I've read recommendations and stayed under leveled for most of the game, but I just got past
Heaven
and I'd say I'm normal level now. I still haven't gotten the trophy and I'm not sure if I should go grind past dungeons or keep going on in the story. Any suggestions?

edit: By the way.. I'm blown away by this game. So good. I feel like I'll be able to enjoy a new game + even more if I get this trophy out of the way.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm kinda new to the site, so I'm not sure if discussing trophies is against the rules... Please let me know so I can delete if necessary:

I'm having a really hard time with the
Hardcore Risette Fan
trophy. I've read recommendations and stayed under leveled for most of the game, but I just got past
Heaven
and I'd say I'm normal level now. I still haven't gotten the trophy and I'm not sure if I should go grind past dungeons or keep going on in the story. Any suggestions?

edit: By the way.. I'm blown away by this game. So good. I feel like I'll be able to enjoy a new game + even more if I get this trophy out of the way.

Discussing trophies is fine. :)

That trophy is a bit of a grind, I happened to get it around the end of the game. Basically what you want to do is keep scanning enemies, use lowered and higher level characters. A lot of the lines are either an enemy being weak towards something or you being stronger/weaker than an enemy. I THINK maxing her social link helps too because the powers her persona gets, she'll use it during battle and say different lines.

mstevens

Discussing trophies is fine. :)

That trophy is a bit of a grind, I happened to get it around the end of the game. Basically what you want to do is keep scanning enemies, use lowered and higher level characters. A lot of the lines are either an enemy being weak towards something or you being stronger/weaker than an enemy. I THINK maxing her social link helps too because the powers her persona gets, she'll use it during battle and say different lines.

WOW.. I just got it. No joke. Right after I beat
Heaven
, I went back to the
secret lab
dungeon and Kanji just killed 3 with mazionga and it popped. Feel like a weight has been lifted and that I'll be able to enjoy the rest of this first play through a lot more.

Grinchy

Banned
I was pretty surprised when I got the Hardcore RF trophy because I kept reading how awful it could be. I didn't purposely go after it and it still popped. I wish I had the time to plat this game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was pretty surprised when I got the Hardcore RF trophy because I kept reading how awful it could be. I didn't purposely go after it and it still popped. I wish I had the time to plat this game.

I only need the book trophy. One of these days, I'll go back to it and get it.

After spending an eternity on the PS2 version of the game (400 hours?) I immediately dived into this one on VH on a new game. God damn those first 5 floors in Yukiko's dungeon were absolutely brutal. It's like I had to use a Go Home every floor (but can't since I only had 3). I probably had ~20 game overs. Floor 5 in particular caught me out a lot.

But then after floor 5 things seem to have gotten manageable. I spent a bit of time crawling the place, and Snuff Souls/Soul Drops were dropping faster than my MP was decreasing. I ended up finishing the Castle in 3 days. Then the bathhouse in 2. Then the subsequent dungeons in the first day.

I was aided by prior knowledge and some good luck though. It all started late in the bathhouse. when I got Sarasvati with Invig 2. Then in the Strip club I got Invig 1 and Megido cards + Magician cards. Invig 1/2 became 2/3. Megido became Megidola. Couple those with my compulsiveness in trying to unlock Daidara's stuff each rainy day, I got overleveled due to Gold Hands. Currently at ~54 now in the Heaven dungeon. Game is now literally easy mode. Although I still get caught out by Last Resort/Megido and get a game over every now and then

I'm looking forward to NG+ with the infinite floor continues. I'm trying to think of a good challenge for NG+, perhaps low EXP game + no Gold Hands will be sufficient.

mstevens

Just beat the game for the first time and got the true ending. Immediate diving back in for new game +. So good.

First time playing this series... I'll definitely be picking up some earlier persona games on the PSN.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just beat the game for the first time and got the true ending. Immediate diving back in for new game +. So good.

First time playing this series... I'll definitely be picking up some earlier persona games on the PSN.

Small warning that the first two play nothing like 3 and 4, also you just missed them being on sale for 10 bucks a pop. But they tend to go on sale every so often.

Jumping to 3 would probably be a better option coming from 4, only difference is the presentation. Instead of being able to walk throughout the city like in Golden, you are stuck with static images that you choose with an icon. Among other differences, that really being the biggest one.

mstevens

Small warning that the first two play nothing like 3 and 4, also you just missed them being on sale for 10 bucks a pop. But they tend to go on sale every so often.

Jumping to 3 would probably be a better option coming from 4, only difference is the presentation. Instead of being able to walk throughout the city like in Golden, you are stuck with static images that you choose with an icon. Among other differences, that really being the biggest one.

Thanks for the tips! I'll play P3P next.

KuroNeeko

Just wanted to check but does
Rise
have a
pair attack
like Chie and Yukiko? Looking around, it doesn't seem like she does. :/

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, I'm trying to avoid spoilers!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just wanted to check but does
Rise
have a
pair attack
like Chie and Yukiko? Looking around, it doesn't seem like she does. :/

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, I'm trying to avoid spoilers!

No, but she will aid you in battle when you rank up her social link.

mstevens

I need some advice. I'm about to get the true ending on my second play through and I've gotten most of the big trophies. The last one I'm really having trouble with is the skill cards one. I'm at 68 right now.

How should I approach this? Do you think it would be easier to go back a couple of months and try to get them, or just do a new play through and spend a lot of time at the cafe?

Also, has anyone figured out an easy way to figure out what skill cards you still need?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The PS3trophies advice is this:
Once Marie is introduced in the Velvet room she offers a number of services such as customising your 'Online ID', the words and avatar people see when you request help in the dungeon and the main function which is Skill Card Registering. You can attain skill cards from Shuffle Time in dungeons or by visiting the Chagall Café with a Persona equipped that has a skill card icon next to its skill. Once you receive a card you can go to Marie and she will register it (and remove it from your inventory), thus allowing you to re-purchase an infinite amount at any time. Skills from skill cards can be taught to any Persona.

This trophy actually takes up quite a bit of time and luck, thus I recommend collecting cards from the Personas at Chagall regularly as well as choosing skill cards during Shuffle Time. The cards carry over your playthroughs meaning if you fail to get this trophy during your second playthrough, as you're going to be on a really tight schedule if you’re wanting to max all Social Links, you will be forced to do a third.

Register 100 skill cards with Marie and this trophy is yours.
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/persona-4-golden/179593-persona-4-golden-road-map-trophy-guide.html

BizzyBum

I finally beat this game about a month ago. Final time clocked in at about 120 hours, and that's one playthrough not doing/seeing everything.

It was my first Persona game and I loved it so I downloaded Persona 3 FES on PSN and going through that. Doesn't seem nearly as good as P4 so far, though. I have Persona 4 Arena lined up for when I finish FES.

I'm hoping the Persona announcement on the 22nd will be Persona 5 on PS4.

Jonnax

AH. Just completed the game after 65 hours and only just discovered that I got the bad ending after saving over the file from the 3rd of december with the clear file.

I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

FDC1

I finally finished the game too, got what I suppose is the bad ending. I kept frequent saves, hope I can go back to one of them not too far away and get the good ending. Curious too to see if I can get platinum in just one another run in ng+ after that. I got the Hardcore Risette trophy but I didn't complete all the quests, read all the books, etc.. I only maxed out 2 social links and some are still low. Is it doable?

SxP

I finally finished the game too, got what I suppose is the bad ending. I kept frequent saves, hope I can go back to one of them not too far away and get the good ending. Curious too to see if I can gen platinum in just one another run in ng+ after that. I got the Hardcore Risette trophy but I didn't complete all the quests, read all the books, etc.. I only maxed out 2 social links and some are still low. Is it doable?

It is definitely doable if you just follow a guide. Just make sure you get the true ending before starting your new run, because one trophy can only be done in a playthrough after you've seen the true ending. And I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think you need to complete all the quests for the Platinum.

FDC1

It is definitely doable if you just follow a guide. Just make sure you get the true ending before starting your new run, because one trophy can only be done in a playthrough after you've seen the true ending. And I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think you need to complete all the quests for the Platinum.

So I looked to a guide and I did the right choice to avoid the bad ending on 12/3 and I'm planning now my road to the true ending. I have some doubts about the Welcome Back trophy. I need to max out
Marie's
social link but I'm only level 6 right now. Do you think I will have enough time to reach level 10 in 1 month or is it better to go back to an older save to gain a few more levels? Is this trophy necessary for true ending or can I skip it for second run where I'll have to max every social link anyway?

First typical SMT boss progress cockblock, Shadow Yukiko. Surprised it happened this early.

Thought I was doing pretty on my first attempt till the prince was summoned, and kept silencing my Chie, then slapping Yosuke around. Think I'll need to grind a few levels and fuse a persona with rakunda to speed things up.

dantehemi

Just picked this game up and I am about 4 hours in and it seems like everything is starting to open up for me, i have read a bunch of stuff about this game (no spoilers) and it all seems so overwhelming...I have little jrpg experience with most of the final fantasy series and I'm actually coming off beating fire emblem awakening.

My main question is this....I really only see myself doing one playthrough and I don't need to do every last little thing the game has to offer, but I want to fully experience this game and once I'm done I want to to have that feeling of completion. I don't really understand all the systems the game has (social links, fusions etc..) but I also haven't even reached that point yet and most of my frustration is just from what I've read.
How would I fare if I just played the game free style and not look at any guides? Can I put myself in a hole early? I always get this feeling that I'm doing something wrong or missing out on something big, but from what I have played of this game so far I really feel I'm gonna love it.

Also any tips or advice for a beginner would be so great.

Thanks guys.

TLDR; Can I screw my self over in this game if I just play it the way I feel?

Ps... I'm playing on normal.

LX_Theo

Banned
Just picked this game up and I am about 4 hours in and it seems like everything is starting to open up for me, i have read a bunch of stuff about this game (no spoilers) and it all seems so overwhelming...I have little jrpg experience with most of the final fantasy series and I'm actually coming off beating fire emblem awakening.

My main question is this....I really only see myself doing one playthrough and I don't need to do every last little thing the game has to offer, but I want to fully experience this game and once I'm done I want to to have that feeling of completion. I don't really understand all the systems the game has (social links, fusions etc..) but I also haven't even reached that point yet and most of my frustration is just from what I've read.
How would I fare if I just played the game free style and not look at any guides? Can I put myself in a hole early? I always get this feeling that I'm doing something wrong or missing out on something big, but from what I have played of this game so far I really feel I'm gonna love it.

Also any tips or advice for a beginner would be so great.

Thanks guys.

TLDR; Can I screw my self over in this game if I just play it the way I feel?

Ps... I'm playing on normal.

I suppose there are a few ways you might be able to screw yourself over.

The first that come to mind are the different endings. There are actually quite a few. The bad ending, the neutral ending, the accomplice ending, the good ending, and the true ending. The true ending would be the one you want to aim for if you want what you descibed. Getting the true ending is just a matter of doing some specific stuff right before you'd get the good ending, so its not really something you should look up how to do until the last minute. There is a very major event during the game that will determine whether you get on the good ending route or one of the others. It'll be obvious when you get to the point of this event, since the game straight tells you that shit is about to go down and asks you whether you want to save. It should be obvious if you got the good ending route by the time you make it through that big set of events (or at least i think it should).

There's also the matter of Marie (Aeon arcana). I'd suggest maxing out her social link before the end of december, since it opens up another dungeon and one or two more months of gameplay. This could be easily missed. The Jester arcana social link also opens up some new content, though to a much lesser extent.

Gameplay wise, the game is fairly forgiving. Generally, the biggest issue will come when you are under leveled for a certain part of the game. If you fail at saving someone, the game gives you the option of reloading an old save or going back in time a week to try it again. Which, if you find leveling at the last moment to catch up to where you need to be a problem, can be used.

Other than underleveling, there isn't much else to be worried about, especially on normal. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.

I'm LTTP with this game, but how do you guarantee that you get top rank on midterms? I answered every question right and was only in the top 10.

ultron87

Really enjoying this. Only past the first real dungeon but I really like the added stuff. The online interaction features are actually really cool and useful. Getting a quick snapshot of what is available on a day is quite helpful, as are the little health boosts from SOSes. Wouldn't mind seeing that kind of stuff in P5 in some fashion.

mut321

Neo Member
Dont even know how this happened but my 30 hour save got deleted and I was only up to June. Yes I have ps plus but I guess my last upload was when I had only put in about 4 hours 😭

Dont even know how this happened but my 30 hour save got deleted and I was only up to June. Yes I have ps plus but I guess my last upload was when I had only put in about 4 hours 😭

Ouch... That really sucks. Double check your settings and make sure your saves auto upload. If I recall, it's the PS+ Button on the game's home screen.

How does registering personas work? Say I get a card drop from Shuffle Time. I register it. Then I go level up some more. Can I re-register it right away? Or can I not re-register it until I get a new card either through fusion or drop? And why aren't new personas automatically registered? Is there ever a reason to NOT register a new persona?

Also how do I use skill cards? I understand how registration works, but how do I fuse one of the skills onto a persona? Mostly I've just been automatically registering every skill, is that the best way to do it? (I know that means I have to buy it back in order to use it, but that seemed like a better long-term solution than consuming the skill card without registering)

How does registering personas work? Say I get a card drop from Shuffle Time. I register it. Then I go level up some more. Can I re-register it right away? Or can I not re-register it until I get a new card either through fusion or drop?

Also how do I use skill cards? I understand how registration works, but how do I fuse one of the skills onto a persona? Mostly I've just been automatically registering every skill, is that the best way to do it? (I know that means I have to buy it back in order to use it, but that seemed like a better long-term solution than consuming the skill card without registering)

You can register anytime at the Velvet Room, and re-register after battles. If you go on XP runs and return to the entrance to get SP from Fox, you can also register your leveled up Persona. There is nothing that prevents you from going this. Just be careful you don't overwrite a Persona that has skills you like with a base version (from Shuffle Time).

As for Skill Cards, you can teach a skill to a Persona you currently carry by using the card in the menu. I always register, then buy back from Margaret. But low tier skills like Zio or Dia drop like candy so it's ok to use them right away.

I bought this on PS2 but that was at a point when I never really took the time to play PS2 games any more and I only played the first week. But now I have a Vita so I've been chipping away at this in work and in bed. I'm just at the point where the game has given you more freedom and to be honest after the heavily guided intro I feel a bit overwhelmed with options. I've saved after school and tried a few things (joining the basketball team, going to the library and going out with Marie) and I still need to finish off
Yukiko's
dungeon. Do I have a good few days to save her where I can mess around with other stuff or should I do that ASAP? Or would it be better to get more social links before taking on the boss?

Also, I've found that some of the more popular fusions available use Izanagi but I sort of want to hold onto him. Am I being weird? I suppose I could just register him and get him back after any fusions.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I bought this on PS2 but that was at a point when I never really took the time to play PS2 games any more and I only played the first week. But now I have a Vita so I've been chipping away at this in work and in bed. I'm just at the point where the game has given you more freedom and to be honest after the heavily guided intro I feel a bit overwhelmed with options. I've saved after school and tried a few things (joining the basketball team, going to the library and going out with Marie) and I still need to finish off
Yukiko's
dungeon. Do I have a good few days to save her where I can mess around with other stuff or should I do that ASAP? Or would it be better to get more social links before taking on the boss?

Also, I've found that some of the more popular fusions available use Izanagi but I sort of want to hold onto him. Am I being weird? I suppose I could just register him and get him back after any fusions.

You don't really have to save anyone ASAP but it is suggested that you do, so that way you have more time for SLinks and don't have to worry about the deadline. It's usually a good two weeks before you have to save anyone.

In the beginning it's fine to hold onto Izanagi, but later on it's better to fuse him into something because it will be outleveled by everything and there will be much better personae for you to choose from.

There was some discussion earlier on this page about registering personas but I'm still a bit confused about it.

From what I can tell all of my personas are automatically registered in the velvet room so I can buy them back (I assume this because I don't recall registering them to begin with). But I'm unsure when that exactly happens.
Does it happen after shuffle time when it says something along the lines of letting it into your heart?

Is it possible to register multiple personas by replacing them with another one in the same dungeon run (without returning to the entrance)?

Edit: Finished Kanjis dungeon and it looks like it just registers them when you pick them up initially which is great.

You don't really have to save anyone ASAP but it is suggested that you do, so that way you have more time for SLinks and don't have to worry about the deadline. It's usually a good two weeks before you have to save anyone.

Just to expand on this a little bit, once you get access to the hermit s.link, always do the quests as soon as you can because it makes healing inside the TV cheaper. With cheap enough healing, you can basically stay inside the TV world indefinitely because you can earn money in the dungeon faster than you spend it on healing.

When I didn't know what I was doing it would sometimes take me 3-4 attempts to clear a dungeon. I'd go inside, make it a few levels, be all banged up then have to exit the TV And continue the next day with recovered health. So it's great having the hermit thing up so you can heal cheaply.

Also, when you go in the TV to save someone is a great time to do quests for the previous dungeon where you have to collect items for people, as that also cuts down on TV time. Check the quest FAQ on Gamefaqs and make a list of all the item drops you need from the previous dungeon for quests, and make sure to activate all the quests, then farm them all once inside the TV but before going to save the person you need to advance the story.

Curufinwe

If you do every dungeon in one day it really helps make time for S.Linking. I was able to max out all the S.Links on my first playthru of Golden without following a guide.

Sooo...I'm gonna go ahead and buy this "Japan" "animated" "video game" thing that people keep talking about. However, I have a teeny tiny question first...I've looked high and low to see if there are any differences between the NA and EU versions of the game, and it doesn't look like that there are (except maybe more text language options?). But can someone who is "anime" tell me for sure?

私はあなたに感謝。

#myfirstpersona
#myfirstretailpsvitagame

I'm working on Hardcore Risette Fan, and I'm missing some of the elemental weakness lines when you fight against strong enemies. Does anyone know what determines enemy size? Is it only the main character's level, or is it an average level of everyone in the party? The reason I ask is that my MC, Yukiko, Chie, Yosuke are low to mid 50s, and Kanji, Naoto, Teddy are low to mid 30s. So if it's based on average, I should have an easy time finding large enemies, but if it's based on the MC only, I might have a hard time.

Omikaru

Sooo...I'm gonna go ahead and buy this "Japan" "animated" "video game" thing that people keep talking about. However, I have a teeny tiny question first...I've looked high and low to see if there are any differences between the NA and EU versions of the game, and it doesn't look like that there are (except maybe more text language options?). But can someone who is "anime" tell me for sure?

私はあなたに感謝。

#myfirstpersona
#myfirstretailpsvitagame

There are no differences, as far as I know. Both EU and US version have only English text and voice, and the EU edition has no extra content.

The only differences are that the EU version is published by NISA instead of Atlus, it has a PEGI logo on the box, and I think it may have a separate trophy list [citation needed].

In short, get whichever version. They're both identical.

There are no differences, as far as I know. Both EU and US version have only English text and voice, and the EU edition has no extra content.

The only differences are that the EU version is published by NISA instead of Atlus, it has a PEGI logo on the box, and I think it may have a separate trophy list [citation needed].

In short, get whichever version. They're both identical.

That's all the type of stuff I expected to be the same/different, and most of what I found out from my searches anyway. The one bit where playing a game from another region goofs up is on the DLC/online features/code redemption side of things. For example, the only bit of P4G that 'touches' the Internet is a help mode you can initiate when your party is beat up, I think? So long as there will never be any DLC for the game I should be good, as you state. The Trophy stuff I'm still looking at, though. Thanks for your help Omikaru!

I have a UK PSN account as my primary, by the way, and I *think* the version of P4G I've bought from eBay is a US copy (it's pictured as such, but the description wasn't totes clears).

The OP asked in his original post will it work "even if it doesn't have an online code" that's what I was answering to.

SOOOOOO for absolute clarity :

1) US version no code, will work online on a non-US PSN
2) US version requiring code, will not work online unless you have a US PSN

Far as I know P4G doesn't use an online code...

The only thing you cant do with a imported game is redeem codes/ download dlc for that specific game as they are region locked unless you use an account locked to the same region.

The game should work as far as I know as vita games aren't region locked and there probably won't be any dlc as its a remaster of a ps2 game with added features.

The only online feature in the game is dungeon rescue, this means you can call for help from other players via wireless when your party reaches critical status.

Omikaru

P4G has no DLC or included codes in any version, so you're all good. I'm UK-based and imported the US version back in November 2012, and I've had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy the game!

Top Bottom