• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux praises the recent trailer for Fable as having "that ridiculous energy" of the original

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
And he's right

image.png

Peter Molyneux went on to praise the IT Crowd's Richard Ayoade as a "perfect choice" for the game, and that "making him be obsessed with vegetables was very Fable-like."

The original Fable was an early hit for Xbox thanks in part to Molyneux's big promises of a constantly-evolving world; one where players could plant an acorn and watch it grown into a mighty oak tree.
Molyneux departed Lionhead in 2012, and the studio was shuttered in 2016.

Recalling his work on the original Fable, Molyneux says that Playground Games' trailer captures:

"You know, the thing you have to remember about Fable — I remember sitting down when we were originally designing Fable and saying 'I think we all agree that Fable would be fun because of what the players do. Its not fun because it has a ton of jokes.' In reality, it didn't have any jokes, but it was funny because we let the players react in absurd ways, and that ridiculous energy is there in the trailer," Molyneux said.

"Like you, I would have loved to see more gameplay, but I loved when the hero threw the fireball. I loved the sensation of the impact. I thought it was truly promising"

Thanati

I had the fortune of interviewing Peter back in 1995. I phoned up Bullfrog and got to his secretary and asked, “can I talk to Peter?” Without hesitating, she said “sure!”

She told me to hang on and 10 seconds later he came on. I told him what I was doing (freelance writer) and asked if I could interview him. He said sure and could give me 15 mins. 1 hour and 30 minutes later, we’re still chatting. It was the best interview I ever conducted. He was really funny and super smart and we talked about games (past and present) and he went in depth on Populous etc. He joked that the reason they decided on raising and lowering lands was because they couldn’t figure out the AI for pathfinding and that by putting an obstacle in the way of the people, it made it a lot easier.

Really nice guy.

Anyway, my random trip down memory lane :)

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Have you played Fable? Because that trailer was EXACTLY what you can expect from a Fable game.
Now if the humour didn't land, it's fine but me as a Fable fan, I'm glad to see that it keeps the same tone as the original.
This, it perfectly captured Fable's essence and is very reminiscent of the original, which to me remains the best and actually only good game in the series.

I hate 2 and don't even get me started with 3.

I had the fortune of interviewing Peter back in 1995. I phoned up Bullfrog and got to his secretary and asked, “can I talk to Peter?” Without hesitating, she said “sure!”

She told me to hang on and 10 seconds later he came on. I told him what I was doing (freelance writer) and asked if I could interview him. He said sure and could give me 15 mins. 1 hour and 30 minutes later, we’re still chatting. It was the best interview I ever conducted. He was really funny and super smart and we talked about games (past and present) and he went in depth on Populous etc. He joked that the reason they decided on raising and lowering lands was because they couldn’t figure out the AI for pathfinding and that by putting an obstacle in the way of the people, it made it a lot easier.

Really nice guy.

God this makes me happy, knowing one of your favourite creators is actually a really nice guy.

I've just come off a random DK play session then read this, so weird!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Richard Ayoade was perfect in that trailer.
I really hope he is a central character in the game,
I kinda feel he will have a similar role to John Cleese's character in Fable 3

Yep, if you need a snarky comedic british person, they chose one of the better options.

Goalus

The presentation/graphics are absolutely beautiful and look truly next-gen. They were really able to reproduce that fairy-tale vibe of the prerendered trailer from three years ago.

I am afraid though that the appearance of the main character will negatively impact sales and even the perceived value of the entire game. I hope they know that.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Because of the way she looks?

Look at people around you sometime. We all look different.
I don't get the outcry over her appearance. Were those people expecting her to be sexy?
Was the whole narration and the reveal not part of the joke?

>Wanker!
>Who said that!?

Idk I thought it was kind of funny.
On this occasion the point I was making wasn't that I don't like they put this uggo in the game, I just thought it'd be funny to use it as a reaction to the title. But it's interesting that's what came to both of you before anything else, it shows you're aware it was distracting for a lot of people. It's just not needed for a lead to be that fucking ugly.
They definitely put in effort and that was a funny bit but that was it and the rest was try hard. It's game, what excites people about games are story and gameplay, which it didn't have any of.

mortal

Gold Member
On this occasion the point I was making wasn't that I don't like they put this uggo in the game, I just thought it'd be funny to use it as a reaction to the title. But it's interesting that's what came to both of you before anything else, it shows you're aware it was distracting for a lot of people. It's just not needed for a lead to be that fucking ugly.
They definitely put in effort and that was a funny bit but that was it and the rest was try hard. It's game, what excites people about games are story and gameplay, which it didn't have any of.
I suppose. I'd imagine the next trailers will deliver more in terms of story.
The lack of gameplay I took more issue with tbh, and that goes for any game reveal really.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Peter Molyneux is the king of don’t believe his lies.

So I assume he thinks the game is shit. Or he doesn’t but it is shit.

Either way buyer beware .

Edit: out of curiosity I googled what this cock sucker is up to and low &behold he’s making a NFT blockchain game. What a perfect fit for a snake oil salesman.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Really nice guy.

Heartwarming story 😊
Thanks for sharing 👍

Bungie

Now seeing the trailer multiple times, I truly love it. Being excited for more is always a good thing. Miss hearing Peter talk about love & feelings haha.

niilokin

I hope the final game will have that super dark humor and atmosphere like leading your wife or villagers through twilight march lands into evil temple and they just cluelessly babble and wander around like lemmings into their doom. For me it wouldnt make sense at all for the protagonist in the trailer be a babe, think it's supposed to be a beginner ugly duckling like character trying to fit in the world crawling through mud and shit. Just look at her pimpled face and british teeth.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
7LUhSyG.jpg

It was cringey
You either choose a gendered protagonist like Fable II/III or it will have a character creator or it will be like Fable Legends and you can choose one among the many heroes. I have a feeling it would be like Fable Legends. She only uses the sword throughout the trailer, you probably get different heroes for other classes.

Elysium44

Banned
The presentation/graphics are absolutely beautiful and look truly next-gen. They were really able to reproduce that fairy-tale vibe of the prerendered trailer from three years ago.

I am afraid though that the appearance of the main character will negatively impact sales and even the perceived value of the entire game. I hope they know that.
I hope they stick with it and the game bombs, it will be funny. These virtue-signalling corporations deserve to fall flat on their face when they keep pushing this agenda.

Microsoft games are all like this now. State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon all have deeply ugly characters and the devs put more effort into letting you choose your Covid mask colour or prosthetics than actual satisfying gameplay.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Really nice guy.

His days at Bullfrog were his best. I loved what that studio made, from Magic Carpet to Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park and even High Octane.

Roberts

I didn't think the trailer was all that funny, but it is just a trailer and the timing could have been impacted by the editing, but I love that it tries to maintain the spirit of the old Fable games (which were fun games but not all that funny either), just with a more modern approach and Ayoade is a legend, so it will be all good.

I wanna see player being controlled, UI, your move set etc. Untill then I am not convinced.

Not to mention developers are known for racing games.

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like Playground was the right choice to reboot the franchise, great team, great engine and great franchise.

Holammer

Peter Molyneux? Nah, years of watching Guru Larry conditioned me to disregard anything he says.
He created a long string of absolute corkers and classics like Populous & Dungeon Keeper (not to mention all the stuff created on his watch), but old glory can only take you so far.

It had good tone and energy, plus I like that IT Crowd guy . . . but, looks like they kill him off, so just a cameo, and zero gameplay.
No idea how the actual game will be so this trailer doesn't matter.

Top Bottom