• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

At this point the bigger question is are you playing Bouncer for the jet boots or the techs? Do you want to be primarily doing damage or playing support?

That's a good question... I first decided to go with Bouncer because I saw it could do Support stuff but as I'm playing I really enjoy using the boots so maybe I want to go full deeps... I'm really not sure.

That's a good question... I first decided to go with Bouncer because I saw it could do Support stuff but as I'm playing I really enjoy using the boots so maybe I want to go full deeps... I'm really not sure.

Here's the trick to this game, and something of a pitfall a lot of new players seem to fall into. It's exactly as Cosmo Clock 21 says: "You want to be doing damage." That pitfall being you don't want to come into this game thinking it's like other MMOs, especially when you hear familiar terms like tank, support, etc being used. It's a trap.

A techer, and well quite frankly any other class isn't just literally cast support skill, stand about like say in a lot of other MMOs. Nope, that's a bad techer and bad player. Everyone should always be doing as much as damage as possible. A Techer for instance is very easily the best mobbing (basic enemy) class in the game. A giant wide zondeel, and then wand explosions wreck everything. (Think one AoE elemental burst per enemy hit.. so you pull in 3 enemies, that's 3 separate aoes going off all at once to everything.) When it comes to mobs you don't want to be in melee with, aka bosses. This is where your ability to cast offensive techs comes into play. You'll never be saying, sitting around for instance. You'll always be doing something, least a good techer will anyway.

Just comes down to does using the boots special boots only photon arts mean that much, or does AoE wand smacking sound better. Course the good thing is you can change class anytime to experiment or see. Or we can continue to give our advice / experiences with the class to help you decide.

PSO2 is basically a speed game. It is at its most rewarding when you (and everyone around you) are working in a highly coordinated manner, outputting as much damage as possible. The faster you kill things, the more you get to do things, the more you stuff you get. Most of the game is built to facilitate this as every class has enough modifiers and options available to sustain itself without the need to rely on another class to boost or help. The moment a player stops contributing their share of the damage is the moment your party slows down and drags everyone through the mud with them. In 12 player MPAs 1 player being a slouch isn't a huge issue, but in things like TA or CM which are heavily reliant on all the players' skill it really stands out.

To describe it in more standard MMO terms, every class is and should be the DPS. Tanking is a thing you technically can do in this game, but is entirely useless as usually everything will die faster before it can really be a threat and aggro is determined by the player doing the most damage, which will almost never be the Tank. You can choose to play some supporting role through the Techer skills but it shouldn't come before your own damage output. Even things like Bo's crit or element fields exist not to boost your party members, but primarily yourself. Support works as a bonus thing you do that also happens to help others.

This early in the game its just best to find the class or weapon that you find the most fun, then find whats the way to use that. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, we'll be here to point the way.

I think I want to stick with boots because they seem cool as hell. Though have I caused a problem by putting some points into the T-Atk Boost square on my skill tree?

Right as I'm about to add someone, I find out I've been demoted to Common Member

IUzaxzv.gif

I think I want to stick with boots because they seem cool as hell. Though have I caused a problem by putting some points into the T-Atk Boost square on my skill tree?

End of the world? No. But they generally don't scale up well per point and are often recommended to pick up last when everything else is picked up. The one exception to this tends to be rare weapon mastery and even then just 1 point since it's worth 30 ATK stat. Since the second point only adds a measly 3 or 4 points for a valuable skill point.

Your bouncer core skills are going to be Element Stance and Element Stance Up which should be the first thing you get (after the 3 mandatory skill points in the first skill that every class has to unlock everything else.) (Element Stance Critical can be skipped due to critical not being worth building for unless you're doing something with Fighter. Or some other high crit build.)

Next should be Shifta Air Strike, which will add some extra damage multipliers to your shifta, which should always be on you and whenever you attack in the air.. which pretty much all JB attacks do on their own. Wrap it with jet boots gear for extra damage when the bar is charged and it'll let you swap elements per spell element cast and you'll have your major attack skills until your subclass.

Filling it out with other stuff like Rapid Boost, Rapid Boost JA, Deband PP Restore, and even possibly switch-strike depending on what you pick as a subclass to use. But see what I mean? There's just more that'll do better for your and your stances are very very important to your overall play.

The new story mission (3-5) is really cool. Why isn't the rest of the content in the game so varied and in a similar style ; _;

Also, VHAQs on vita blocks is still the way to go.

The new story mission (3-5) is really cool. Why isn't the rest of the content in the game so varied and in a similar style ; _;

I figure they finally figured things out and everything took awhile to get their groove going. You can really see it when you start from EP1-and go all the way through. The story missions start off incredibly generic and basic, but then you get to EX Gaiden 01 and see they got creative.. and they start doing more of that down the line.

Reminded me a lot of say a TV show that's new where the cast is trying to still feel things out, but in a later season they got it going on. I still gotta open up 3-5 myself but I only just started 3-1 since I wanted to remake my character and I did the every matterboard from scratch.

I tend to find the vita blocks magical for me in general. I do XH Invasion on the normal blocks and it's such a gamble if I don't run into uncrafted hiei armor moon magnet people, I walk into vita blocks and everything gets done no problem.

I tend to find the vita blocks magical for me in general. I do XH Invasion on the normal blocks and it's such a gamble if I don't run into uncrafted hiei armor moon magnet people, I walk into vita blocks and everything gets done no problem.

While true that you'll find more Japanese people on Vita blocks than the norm, the fact that they're playing on Vitas just slow things down too much in my experience. I've definitely been shafted worse by being stuck playing on a Vita than I usually am playing at home.

rotar2

Neo Member
Reporting in after putting in a bunch of hours (~15 hours) with my impressions:

HOLY CRAP. I am very surprised with the amount of fun I am having with this game. Why hasn't Sega imported this to the west yet? They hate money? They hate making people happy? Whatever it may be, I'm so glad I took the plunge into the JP version of the game with all of the patches.

I've been having close to 0 issues with playing the game via the Tweaker and the missing patches of translations in the story and items for now. All I've been doing is leveling my Ranger up, by just following the ARKS road stamp cards objectives with some random exploration quests in the middle.

Gameplay-wise, this was everything I've been missing since I quit playing all of the previous PSO versions. Playing this game via 360 controller just seems right. It makes me feel right at home with the nostalgic controls + additional buttons that were easy to configure and learn.

On that note, is there a GAF guild or the PSO equivalent of a guild in game? If not, let me know if you want to play with a complete newbie! IGN: Tae, 30 Ra/ 10Hu.

Blue-kun

What's the difference between the VHAQs on Vita blocks and PC blocks?

Also, taking a chance to thank you guys for the heads-up at the start, they really helped. Been enjoying the game a ton and already got my Braver up to Level 60. The way the game's structured and with how many different bosses there are, I'm still learning how to deal with most of them, but it's been progressing well. A shame that I still haven't nailed the counter guard timing, though I suspect there's some amount of lag also not helping me out here, lol.

Also, while we're at it, would like to ask on your guys' opinions of where to go from here. I got myself a Susano Guren at L3 Potential, +10 and with 50 Light Element, and it's been serving me well, though I suppose I should start looking on what to try next. Still got to try to get the Saiki set people recommended, too, because walking around on Hiei, even if at +10, is starting to hurt, especially when running those EQs like Falz Loser, where god knows it can get you in some reaaaaaally nasty combos, lol.

Also, while we're at it, would like to ask on your guys' opinions of where to go from here. I got myself a Susano Guren at L3 Potential, +10 and with 50 Light Element, and it's been serving me well, though I suppose I should start looking on what to try next. Still got to try to get the Saiki set people recommended, too, because walking around on Hiei, even if at +10, is starting to hurt, especially when running those EQs like Falz Loser, where god knows it can get you in some reaaaaaally nasty combos, lol.

Well let's see for starters.. For practicing your counter window and getting a nice feel for it. Caterdra'n in the Caves or the Skyscape version is an excellent boss to test and get a feel for it with. Pretty much everything it can do is really telegraphed and can give your timing window a nice work out. Another good place to practice is during a time attack in Sanctum. You stand on a switch and this laser swoops at you. You lose time if you jump, but guarding keeps the switch timer going down. Again good timing practice but you don't get much of it before the switch goes down.

Now moving on to your main question. I am one of the strongest people who think the hiei set (unless crafted) shouldn't be touched at VH or harder. Even early bosses just seem to eat it. It's good dodging practice for sure, but.. too accident prone in my opinion. However, mentioning that you just got 60 is a good sign. The NPC Zieg has some nice welfare 11 star armor just waiting for you. If you equip any episode 3 matterboard and talk to him (You don't even have to start it, can change it back if you don't want to skip ahead in the story) he'll have some crafting quests. Stuff like raise a weapon to extend level 3 etc. These quests he'll offer will be one time quests that offer 100,000 meseta per complete. A bit into doing some of those, he'll offer you some that reward Master Craftsman's Seal.

You'll only get around 6 or so, enough for about 2 sets per character, but they high nice overall defensive stats, will get to +10 easily and start off decently affixed. (I prefer PP on all my stuff, but for an out of the box unit, it's surprisingly nice). This'll easily hold you over until Saiki, Brisa, or whatever your choice of armor will be. So what's the catch? I dunno, people seem to hate the set for whatever reason, stating that the set bonus doesn't hold a candle to Hiei, but I'm more fond of the fact you don't die in a hit until you're some defenseless class and this game is accident prone. So that'll be my vote of gear due to the ease of getting it (The only issue is time / money depending on if you've been unlocking crafting / materials etc and waiting. Even that wait may not exist depending on how much of that Liliparum you have stockpiled.

Weapon wise, you're honestly in a really good spot. You have a solid 10 star, with an excellent potential at max. Though it's really going to come down to what the RNG gods bless you with. Magatsu on SH or XH has some good drops overall, with the possibility of the Evil series katana or drops the Sukei Suzumi which is basically your current weapon with small atk upgrade. If RNG is really on your side Anga from the Limited Quest can drop a 13 stars on XH in 10 levels, or there's challenge mode for Ideal weapons, but it's a long grind to 60 element grind but are good no matter what. Elder/Luther may also have something decent that i overlooked as well. But Magatsu was really the way my friend geared up for his katana and he's not premium or anything. I could recommend Bio Katana, but it's a terribly long grind for something that will get outclassed from one of the rare drop pinata EQs. Even using title rewards it can still be a grind.

Reporting in after putting in a bunch of hours (~15 hours) with my impressions:
I'm glad you're having fun, this game seems to catch people by surprise after a lot seem really resistant to joining due to the perceived language barrier. You can (or anyone else really) can poke me, as my id is the same as my username. Though I think the lowest I have something at is 43?

While true that you'll find more Japanese people on Vita blocks than the norm, the fact that they're playing on Vitas just slow things down too much in my experience. I've definitely been shafted worse by being stuck playing on a Vita than I usually am playing at home.

I was thinking about this.. and I think you may be right. I recall avoiding the Vita blocks for awhile.. but it wasn't until the Elder/Luther event I started going to them when the XHs was all literally full of even premium space. So that could be since the flood of people with the event cause it wasn't even remotely full until the Darker Den EQ first appeared.

HOLY CRAP. I am very surprised with the amount of fun I am having with this game. Why hasn't Sega imported this to the west yet? They hate money?
I think this is the crux of the issue right here. How much money have you actually paid into the game at this point? It doesn't sound like anything you've done has really involved any monetary transactions. The game, as structured in the JP server, lets you do a ton of stuff free of charge, and relies chiefly on the scratch lottery (full of licensed items which would be thoroughly impractical to bring over here) to make a profit. This is not a business model that would work nearly as well here, and having the game pay for itself here when it also has the JP server to compete with seems like an insurmountable task to me.

Blue-kun

Now moving on to your main question. I am one of the strongest people who think the hiei set (unless crafted) shouldn't be touched at VH or harder. Even early bosses just seem to eat it. It's good dodging practice for sure, but.. too accident prone in my opinion. However, mentioning that you just got 60 is a good sign. The NPC Zieg has some nice welfare 11 star armor just waiting for you. If you equip any episode 3 matterboard and talk to him (You don't even have to start it, can change it back if you don't want to skip ahead in the story) he'll have some crafting quests. Stuff like raise a weapon to extend level 3 etc. These quests he'll offer will be one time quests that offer 100,000 meseta per complete. A bit into doing some of those, he'll offer you some that reward Master Craftsman's Seal.

Thanks for the input! From what I see it does seem like I'll be losing a bit on PP and some S-ATK by switching, but I honestly feel like I could use more DEF at this point, so I'm following that. However, I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here. Took Zieg's COs, and completed Strike II, Tech II and Intermediate ones, however the Strike III and Tech III ones aren't showing up -- do I need to complete the Range I/II as well? Or is there some catch that I'm missing here.

Thanks for the input! From what I see it does seem like I'll be losing a bit on PP and some S-ATK by switching, but I honestly feel like I could use more DEF at this point, so I'm following that. However, I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here. Took Zieg's COs, and completed Strike II, Tech II and Intermediate ones, however the Strike III and Tech III ones aren't showing up -- do I need to complete the Range I/II as well? Or is there some catch that I'm missing here.

Yep. You have to do the ranged series as well. In-fact, you'll have to do everyone that pops up until you see the COs with the target item. Think of it as free meseta really since you'll overall gain some. I believe when you see the client order to extend a 6star or higher is when you'll see the first mastercraft emblem needed.

Not really big on double posting but figured I would in this rare case, just to make sure anyone playing it does see this:

Boost week has already begun. We got the rare boost / experience boost / meseta boost along with Dudu's grinding/affixing boost rates for the week. Time to be like me and go broke down to 50,000 meseta.

Also for anyone who disappointed that the community vote weapons (Huey's Wired Lance & Katori's Dual Blades) can exchange the weapon and 10 craftman's mark over at Zieg to convert them to Weapon Camo's instead. Looks like they also added the old community vote winner's weapons as well so if you still have them laying around and want the camos as well.

ShinMaruku

Sega always had the best music. Also they never fell off with their music. It makes sense because they have some great sound eingneers at Sega.
I tried gunner again, they work again. Still love bouncer too much though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sega always had the best music. Also they never fell off with their music. It makes sense because they have some great sound eingneers at Sega.
I tried gunner again, they work again. Still love bouncer too much though.

Yeah, Sega's music has always been on point. PSO1's soundtrack still remains some of the best music penned for games in my ears' opinion.

I also recently switched from Bow Braver to Gunner, once I got used to how different the PA use was I enjoyed it quite a bit more. DMG output seems to be a bit less, though for bossing a Chain Trigger + Weak Bullet seems to even things out just fine.

I forgot how much of a massive bitch making an account was. I can't figure this shit out to save my life.

Are you using the guide? They make most of the signup process fairly trivial, with only the captcha being a real obstacle for some people.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well I created an account yesterday before I went to sleep (that Captcha thou...) so once I get home from work were going to see how hard it's going to be to get the game up and running on Windows 10.

I think this is the crux of the issue right here. How much money have you actually paid into the game at this point? It doesn't sound like anything you've done has really involved any monetary transactions. The game, as structured in the JP server, lets you do a ton of stuff free of charge, and relies chiefly on the scratch lottery (full of licensed items which would be thoroughly impractical to bring over here) to make a profit. This is not a business model that would work nearly as well here, and having the game pay for itself here when it also has the JP server to compete with seems like an insurmountable task to me.

I would be willing to pay a monthly sub for one of my favorite game franchises. I had so much fun with PSO back in the DC days. Very sad that I can't do that now without jumping through massive hoops.

I guess the sales weren't so hot towards the end of the franchise here in the States.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I would be willing to pay a monthly sub for one of my favorite game franchises. I had so much fun with PSO back in the DC days. Very sad that I can't do that now without jumping through massive hoops.

I guess the sales weren't so hot towards the end of the franchise here in the States.
That's SEGAC of America's fault though for the poor timing of implementing content and anybody who played Blue Burst and Universe in the US can agree that either we were always behind Japan on content updates and sometimes we outright wouldn't get certain content due to their unwillingness to license that 3rd party content for the US.

You might be willing to, but just how many would do the same, knowing there's a completely free alternative?

That's SEGAC of America's fault though for the poor timing of implementing content and anybody who played Blue Burst and Universe in the US can agree that either we were always behind Japan on content updates and sometimes we outright wouldn't get certain content due to their unwillingness to license that 3rd party content for the US.

I'm not in a position of authority, but I would think that if they thought there was a chance of return on investment, then they would totally bring over the licensed content. But it's kind of a hard ask, especially since the people who approve of the way said content is used is often different per region, and PSO2 has more than doubled down on it since the old days.

Xion_Stellar

I'm not in a position of authority, but I would think that if they thought there was a chance of return on investment, then they would totally bring over the licensed content. But it's kind of a hard ask, especially since the people who approve of the way said content is used is often different per region, and PSO2 has more than doubled down on it since the old days.
Well it's not entirely unheard of from them I mean they did bring over the Licensed Content in Phantasy Star Portable 2 we it got localized here on the US although that whole deal did end up in disaster thanks to those freaking hackers and I did agree with RubyEclipse at the time on how that spoiled advertising deals/plans for the game in the US.

Pics_nao

Yeah, Sega's music has always been on point. PSO1's soundtrack still remains some of the best music penned for games in my ears' opinion.

I also recently switched from Bow Braver to Gunner, once I got used to how different the PA use was I enjoyed it quite a bit more. DMG output seems to be a bit less, though for bossing a Chain Trigger + Weak Bullet seems to even things out just fine.

Are you using the They make most of the signup process fairly trivial, with only the captcha being a real obstacle for some people.

Yeah, I am. The captcha is fucking destroying me and is inching me closer and closer to uninstalling the game.

Wonko_C

After upgrading to Windows 10 PSO2 no longers seems to detect my Xbox 360 wireless controller. Anyone has the same problem? I'll try a few things and see if I can fix it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This sure was a surprising return to PSO2. I remember when concerts were first introduced, but you couldn't join them and the rhythm minigame wasn't there.

Good to see the game evolving in all the right places.

Blue-kun

So, was running Gryphon quite a few times today and the last one I played, a regular one, left me this gift.

Reminded me of the good old times in PSO BB when I saw a really rare red box. Although not too useful for my class, but hey, it made me happy. And I guess I didn't have much luck with the element, also, as I hear spec'ing in Lightning/Zonde is... not very good, to say the least.

Manbig

Hey all.

I'm trying to create a new account since I don't recall the password on my old one, but the registration guide in the OP appears to be out of date. Is anyone able to point me to an updated one?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, was running Gryphon quite a few times today and the last one I played, a regular one, left me this gift.

Nice find! Still haven't seen a 12 or 13 star yet, but I haven't been hitting the grind as hard as I could to take advantage of the boost week.

Hey all.

I'm trying to create a new account since I don't recall the password on my old one, but the registration guide in the OP appears to be out of date. Is anyone able to point me to an updated one?

Arks Layer has a good signup guide!

Scirrocco

So I'm trying to come back after a while, but i'm running into some issues. I haven't been able to log into the game ever since they changed things after the DDOS. But after seeing i could log into pso2.jp/players, as another poster suggested would work, i thought i might be able to now. But i still can't seem to get connected.

Basically this happens: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213309

The servers don't seem to talk to me. I thought maybe i'm still blocked somehow.

But i also tried to log into the sea version, and get pretty much the same issue. No matter when i log in, it says the servers are under maintenance. It could still be an ip block, but its weird that it comes from both games. Could i have a gameguard issue thats not letting me connect, or maybe something is blocking it on my side?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I'm trying to come back after a while, but i'm running into some issues. I haven't been able to log into the game ever since they changed things after the DDOS. But after seeing i could log into pso2.jp/players, as another poster suggested would work, i thought i might be able to now. But i still can't seem to get connected.

Basically this happens: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213309

The servers don't seem to talk to me. I thought maybe i'm still blocked somehow.

But i also tried to log into the sea version, and get pretty much the same issue. No matter when i log in, it says the servers are under maintenance. It could still be an ip block, but its weird that it comes from both games. Could i have a gameguard issue thats not letting me connect, or maybe something is blocking it on my side?
The SEA version is locked again (the block was gone for a very short while) and from the thread you linked, it seems that your ISP is one of the few who are still blocking SEGA. I'd say try using a VPN like most people outside Japan had to until now if you want to play.

Edit:
Nvm, missed the part of the post about being able to access the official site. It doesn't seem that it's the IP block.

The SEA version is locked again (the block was gone for a very short while) and from the thread you linked, it seems that your ISP is one of the few who are still blocking SEGA. I'd say try using a VPN like most people outside Japan had to until now if you want to play.

Being able to connect to the website refutes that. I'd suggest a file check to make sure the installation isn't somehow behind in versions.

Try connecting to the game using the regular client instead of Tweaker. If something goes wrong there that's one way to verify if the problem is on your end or not.

Reminded me of the good old times in PSO BB when I saw a really rare red box. Although not too useful for my class, but hey, it made me happy. And I guess I didn't have much luck with the element, also, as I hear spec'ing in Lightning/Zonde is... not very good, to say the least.

I am jelly. I've never even seen a 13 star yet. The curse of being hated by RNG. It's not that Lightning / Zonde is bad per say.. it's just.. there isn't many enemies who are affected by it. Just, Light and Fire tend to be so incredibly more common of a weakness. Like, Lightning right now is pretty much machines. Eventually it'll get an ultimate field and other stuff like Dark is finally getting more enemies weak to it.

Try CyberKitsune's proxy. That tends to be the best option to at least test if it's something on your end or not. Then if that does work you can either stick with the proxy or grab a VPN of your own.

Top Bottom