• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

plip.plop

What if MS is just dropping live service games on PS to compete with Sony's upcoming live-service offerings?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Microsoft is doing absolutely nothing to stop this firestorm. And all its social media mouth pieces who would normally help put out these kinds of fires are jumping ship and spreading even more rumors.

I expect Phil to try and put out some fires next week with his double speak but it would appear the writing is on the wall for the future of Xbox.
And Phil essentially gave the classic breakup line
8sYqUReKXKu6mJCnmTMG5NdVip6X6rSHkzWZNYleMI2m0gpRkyeZ59yUoqoyZcnhZ8Yp9ylyR4No7oKsSZomLY2j2MfxaMXWTupD5ulVEmMuS2rqZMR5F6J5rtbR0rHm0YzlCuZH

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No offence, but this is crazy talk. They closed ABK a fraction over 100 days ago - you think they went through with a $69bn dollar purchase and the “financial realities” of the next 100 days were so severe and so unexpected that they abandoned their plans?

The only thing that is certain right now is that whatever is happening right now is exactly what they intended was going to happen when they initiated the transfer to close ABK.

Is it what they planned when they started the acquisition? 100% no, but this fall of the Roman Empire type speculation is nuts.

So, you think all of this is all planned do you? You think a multi-billion dollar company leaks information to every outlet without any official confirmation, as its way of imparting a planned for, and deliberate strategy?

Because guess what slappy... I used to work for one of these multi-billion dollar corporations in their communications department - and they don't fucking do that at all.

Clearly, an internal struggle has been going on, and equally clearly the losing side has panicked about what's happening, and gone to the press.

The fact Phil is waiting an entire fucking week to address the situation is indicative of how true everything is. There's no fall of Rome going on here. Microsoft are fine and dandy. XBox though? Different story.

Last edited:
So, you think all of this is all planned do you? You think a multi-billion dollar company leaks information to every outlet without any official confirmation, as its way of imparting a planned for, and deliberate strategy?

Because guess what slappy... I used to work for one of these multi-billion dollar corporations in their communications department - and they don't fucking do that at all.

Clearly, an internal struggle has been going on, and equally clearly the losing side has panicked about what's happening, and gone to the press.

The fact Phil is waiting an entire fucking week to address the situation is indicative of how true everything is. There's no fall of Rome going on here. Microsoft are fine and dandy. XBox though? Different story.
Not shocked to hear you ‘used to work’ for one :messenger_tears_of_joy: Can’t imagine why they got rid of you if you are so weak and indecisive that you think going from investing $69bn 100 days ago to throwing the whole business out the window is solid strategy…

This is probably the best take on this. Most of the rumors were guided as Xbox is considering bringing this or that. I’m sure if they were going forward with this they would be addressing this now waiting a week means that they feel the reaction is unwarranted. The most likely outcome is Sony and switch get some older games. Also how they are going to handle integrating ABK into gamepass. Microsoft now seems like they want to continue growing their gaming business and be the biggest publisher in the industry. They cannot continue to acquire if it’s seen that they’re holding everything to themselves. But with everything in gamepass it’s going to work that way. Fanboys cheering now will be on the opposite end of troll post when those games start charting on npd from Sony and Nintendo sales.

This is probably the best take on this. Most of the rumors were guided as Xbox is considering bringing this or that. I’m sure if they were going forward with this they would be addressing this now waiting a week means that they feel the reaction is unwarranted. The most likely outcome is Sony and switch get some older games. Also how they are going to handle integrating ABK into gamepass. Microsoft now seems like they want to continue growing their gaming business and be the biggest publisher in the industry. They cannot continue to acquire if it’s seen that they’re holding everything to themselves. But with everything in gamepass it’s going to work that way. Fanboys cheering now will be on the opposite end of troll post when those games start charting on npd from Sony and Nintendo sales.

You're getting sacked next week hahahahahah

you're in denial, the tweet itself is saying its true.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Clearly the leak wasn’t in the cards

Nope. The whole thing smacks of someone high up in the MS system who is unhappy with the strategy moving forward, and wanted to get it out to the press as truthfully as possible, before Phil was able to spin it with PR speak, the way he has with everything else.

And now he and the rest of them are scrambling to put together a coherent response that admits the truth of the leaks, while at the same time 'reassuring' the Xbox community that 'everything is actually fine - pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'. The fact a lot of them will buy the BS again is fairly depressing.

hepfom

Buying ABK killed Xbox. That will be the headline in the years to come.

Like Nokia and Windows Phone.

Hmmm with the Jez tweet and all these rumors here's what I expect.

Phil announces that some games will come to PS5 and Switch...does not give any actual titles. Taken on a case by case basis.

Phil states that they aren't leaving the console market (pointless statement, but whatever) will say we will share plans on next gen console at the right time.

Phil somehow states with a straight face that he still believes the future of Xbox is bright.

Lastly, Phil will announce a gamepass price hike just to put icing on the cake.

Putting my tin foil hat on...Microsoft PR will help play up the idea of "all exclusives coming to PS and Nintendo" and Uncle Phil parachutes in to save the day. Then walks back and announces only a few are actually going there then the fanboys will applaud him for "listening to the fans". I swear they do this shit every time.

Last edited:

Ecotic

This is all pretty remarkable. Strategic plans A, B, C, and D over 20+ years have all went bust. Whatever they announce, it will be an attempt to salvage the current situation. If the goal all along was just to become a profitable multiplatform mega-publisher, then they took the long route and wasted many billions to do it, so this is not where they set out to be.

I think it's clear what has happened, and it's why in hindsight the Activision acquisition will probably rank as one of the all-time greatest industry blunders. I think what happened was Microsoft envisioned securing Call of Duty exclusively on Xbox as a sort of knockout punch over Sony, but the regulators stripped it away. Microsoft refused to give up primarily due to the reputational damage in having to abandon such a big deal that it so publicly sought. Then, once they acquired Activision without exclusive rights over Call of Duty, they found themselves straddled with a monstrous asset that they paid a market premium for, and an asset that was only valuable to begin with because it sold millions of games on non-Xbox hardware. So, swallowing Activision without free reign over Call of Duty was a total poison pill. Nadella and the board of directors then demanded a complete change when they realized that Activision was not only unprofitable on Xbox hardware alone, but also worth a fraction of the $69 billion they paid for it.

Topher

Gold Member
Hahaha someone needs to quote that legendary ‘green rats’ post again.

"so go ahead cocksuckas and pull the trigger, enjoy you green rats filled neo[redacted
sewers."

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

Like Nokia and Windows Phone.

Putting my tin foil hat on...Microsoft PR will help play up the idea of "all exclusives coming to PS and Nintendo" then when Uncle Phil parachutes in to save the day and announce only a few are actually going there then the fanboys will applaud him for "listening to the fans". I swear they do this shit every time.

I'm not putting it past Phil Spencer to do that very thing. You are right. He's done it before.

Last edited:

Nydius

Not shocked to hear you ‘used to work’ for one :messenger_tears_of_joy: Can’t imagine why they got rid of you if you are so weak and indecisive that you think going from investing $69bn 100 days ago to throwing the whole business out the window is solid strategy…

How is expanding their software to a massively larger player base where people buy games "throwing the whole business out the window"?

Xbox as a hardware brand is a dismal failure. 2024 Q2 was the first quarter in a year that saw Xbox hardware revenue increase and that increase was an anemic 3% because they had put the Series X on deep sale for an entire quarter. In 2023, they were pummeled by double digit hardware revenue losses every quarter. At the end of 2023, they were being outsold by Sony 3:1 despite having a significantly cheaper console option. Game Pass clearly isn't bridging the gap; If anything the cost of running Game Pass is a hindrance. Think about how much they have to pay for third party games like Persona 3 REload to show up on the service day one. Think about all the people who have used loopholes to get several years of Game Pass Ultimate at a fraction of retail price.

Expanding their reach to sell more software after spending $70B on ABK makes a hell of a lot more business sense than limiting their reach to Xbox and PC only.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

do it jewish GIF

They already killed console exclusives putting games on PC day one, they have some on Switch. Put the games on PlayStation and make money.

I would pay good money to look at the group chat with Pete Hines and his old head Bethesda buddies, you just KNOW he is talking shit in there 24/7 on Phil, probably bitches every single day about how his boss was an absolute clown. From the lawsuit emails it was just so apparent he was all around pissed at Phil's grand plan and thought it made no sense.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Nope. The whole thing smacks of someone high up in the MS system who is unhappy with the strategy moving forward, and wanted to get it out to the press as truthfully as possible, before Phil was able to spin it with PR speak, the way he has with everything else.

And now he and the rest of them are scrambling to put together a coherent response that admits the truth of the leaks, while at the same time 'reassuring' the Xbox community that 'everything is actually fine - pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'. The fact a lot of them will buy the BS again is fairly depressing.
I wonder who this big mole… err rat was:

greenberglarge_1200x500.png

How is expanding their software to a massively larger player base where people buy games "throwing the whole business out the window"?

Xbox as a hardware brand is a dismal failure. 2024 Q2 was the first quarter in a year that saw Xbox hardware revenue increase and that increase was an anemic 3% because they had put the Series X on deep sale for an entire quarter. In 2023, they were pummeled by double digit hardware revenue losses every quarter. At the end of 2023, they were being outsold by Sony 3:1 despite having a significantly cheaper console option. Game Pass clearly isn't bridging the gap; If anything the cost of running Game Pass is a hindrance. Think about how much they have to pay for third party games like Persona 3 REload to show up on the service day one. Think about all the people who have used loopholes to get several years of Game Pass Ultimate at a fraction of retail price.

Expanding their reach to sell more software after spending $70B on ABK makes a hell of a lot more business sense than limiting their reach to Xbox and PC only.
You completely missed my point, which was just that whatever is happening now is (at least largely) what they planned to happen when they closed ABK, not some panic fuelled decision based on Starfield not reviewing that well… I was responding to the nonsensical view that ABK ‘broke’ Xbox. Whether people actually like it (whatever it turns out to be) time will tell, but it’s highly unlikely to be as reactionary internally as some are trying to paint it.

They didn’t accidentally spend $69bn a couple of months ago and regret it now. They knew what they were getting into.

And that is not even considering that no one knows what is actually happening right now, but so many people are posting like they do…

Surely there must be others who think the absolute speculation over the last couple of days is a touch on the insane side? Not one attributable quote, or one person willing to put a name to any of it - just lots of ‘I hear’ from the ether…

And I’ve been consistently anti-exclusive across the board, so I’m not one of those people. I agree with Nadella - a world without exclusives is a better world for gamers.

nordique

Oh, I think they originally intended for the two acquisitions to power XBox forward... but then the financial realities of GamePass hit, as did the realities of very bad console sales. And now someone has panicked... and this is what we're getting.

Buying ABK killed Xbox. That will be the headline in the years to come.

palpatineit’sironic.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Exactly. I think some of the more ardent XBox fans are confusing Microsoft with Xbox at the moment. I do absolutely believe that a massive strategy change for Xbox is happening, due to the current state it's in.

Microsoft Gaming will be fine.

The XBox is fucking dead as shit.

Frwrd

I dont like Jim Ryan style but you cannot deny the man is an absolute beast.

In a few years span he litteraly managed to obliterate its most prominent, ten times richer competitor and forced him out of the market. This is something very few high profile CEOs can be proud of.
That CV about to look fiyah 🔥😂

XXL

I just realized....

The PS5 is going to sell sooooooooooo many consoles (Pro and Base Model) when GTA VI arrives.

Microsoft just handed them a gift from God at an absolutely perfect time.
Keeping Up With The Kardashians Omg GIF by E!

Playstation RN
We Did It Yes GIF

They are about to get so many games and sell so many consoles its not even fucking funny.

Kokoloko85

It's always "we are listening" and "we hear you".

Complete lies.
I think that he's gonna use this and say only some games are coming. "Because they listened to fans"

Not an exit from consoles or all games though, otherwise why would he say we hear you.

Crayon

I just realized....

The PS5 is going to sell sooooooooooo many consoles (Pro and Base Model) when GTA VI arrives.

Microsoft just handed them a gift from God at an absolutely perfect time.
Keeping Up With The Kardashians Omg GIF by E!

Playstation RN
We Did It Yes GIF

They are about to get so many games and sell so many consoles its not even fucking funny.

Oh god I did't think about the timing with GTA5.

Top Bottom