• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

thatJohann

If “the console war” was over, we’d all lose, because then Sony could charge whatever they want for the PS6 and PS7.

Ya want a PS6? $1300.

Competition keeps the prices in check

Well Nintendo will still be there with $70 Switch 2 games. So I'm hoping that keeps the price of games $70 and under even if Microsoft pulls a Dreamcast next week.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If “the console war” was over, we’d all lose, because then Sony could charge whatever they want for the PS6 and PS7.

Ya want a PS6? $1300.

Dude a lot people don't believe that here, Sony is a good guy

They would keep pushing the envelope and still keep prices under $500 because they care

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

LordCBH

Ya want a PS6? $1300.

This is a retard brain take. The market resoundingly rejected a $600 console.

Sony relies on selling hardware to push their software. They’re not drastically raising the price and pricing out 90% of their consumer base. You people don’t think, do you?

Last edited:

Ya want a PS6? $1300.

Oh come on they are not selling a console for $1300, it's just bullshit by Xbox widows

Sony needs a big userbase for Playstation to make big money

$1300 is PC hardware territory

If Sony tried to charge 1300 for a PS6, it just wouldn't sell, that's all there is to it.

It doesn't take a genius to understand this

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Dude a lot people don't believe that here, Sony is a good guy

They would keep pushing the envelope and still keep prices under $500 because they care

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

I don't think nyone actually believes that Sony priced PS5 without putting a hell of a lot of analysis into trying to determine at what price point Microsoft's Xbox would come in. So yeah, competition helps keep prices down. Having said that, I'm not buying this $1300 PS5 nonsense. That's just a hyperbolic take.

Last edited:

XXL

I don't think nyone actually believes that Sony priced PS5 without putting a hell of a lot of analysis into trying to determine at what price point Microsoft's Xbox would come in. So yeah, competition helps keep prices down. Having said that, I'm not buying this $1300 PS5 nonsense. That's just a hyperbolic take.
Playstation see the sales of PSVR 2......

And I loooove PSVR 2.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
100% agree $1300 is silly (though I would pay it for a true monster)

But I know one camp in particular takes the possible pricing of the other into consideration when pricing their own

DJ12

Sony relies on selling hardware to push their software. They’re not drastically raising the price and pricing out 90% of their consumer base. You people don’t think, do you
It's just their new cope.

They seem to forget its MS that came in with a ridiculously over priced console that they have to sell at less than cost, significantly.

thatJohann

I'd love to play Halo, Forza and Gears on PS5 at some point. Like a bundled collection of the series. That would be great and would sell like hotcakes for Microsoft.

The Halo Collection
The Forza Collection
The Gears Collection

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TrippleA345

People should really read what SneakersSO wrote last year so far. So far everything has turned out to be correct as far as i remember. On the other hand, it was predictable to a certain degree and therefore not surprising

Last edited:

Hohenheim

For gaming, the equipment dictates what you can play and with whom, so it's rather different to other pursuits like skiing where any brand will do. This seems obvious.
And this is a good thing? All this does is feeding the trolls and console warriors who sadly gets a unhealthy emotinal connection to "their" brands.
It would be better if the world of gaming was more like the equipment we use/used to get to watch our movies and tv shows. TVs and dvd-players etc. You don't need a specific brand of TV to enjoy all your games or movies, but some might feel better for you. This should be fine with gaming too, and it seems to be heading that way. I mean, except for Nintendo (if you wanna do things 100% legal), most other stuff can be enjoyed on a good PC, and the console world is quite quickly moving towards that too.

Step 1. $1300 PS6
Step 2. Tell poor people to get a second job
Step 3. ??????
Step 4. Profit???

I get the fear that Sony could do such a thing without "competition", but I'd think they wouldn't.

In some ways, the real winner in that hypothetical scenario would be a full-circle back to Nintendo being King of Kings like the days of old.

Of course, they could have a misstep, but they very much are successful and content with what they do. They've never much given a damn what Xbox or PlayStation do, for the most part.

They'd just quietly assert themselves back at the top alone.

Ar¢tos

I'd love to play Halo, Forza and Gears on PS5 at some point. Like a bundled collection of the series. That would be great and would sell like hotcakes for Microsoft.

The Halo Collection
The Forza Collection
The Gears Collection

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That will take a while. For a few years we will only see good ports of Bethesda and Activision games.
MS first party studios have little to no experience with Playstation SDK and APIs, and their first ports will probably be buggy like Playstation first ports on PC.

Last edited:

XXL

I get the fear that Sony could do such a thing without "competition", but I'd think they wouldn't.

In some ways, the real winner in that hypothetical scenario would be a full-circle back to Nintendo being King of Kings like the days of old.

Of course, they could have a misstep, but they very much are successful and content with what they do. They've never much given a damn what Xbox or PlayStation do, for the most part.

They'd just quietly assert themselves back at the top alone.
I would just like to say IF Xbox goes fully 3rd party.

This would be the layout

Steam - PC (High End)
Playstation - Console (Medium)
Nintendo - Handhelds (Low End)

Their main type of (genre) games all serve different tastes aswell.

There is still a competition, the dynamics may have just changed.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Sony relies on selling hardware to push their software. They’re not drastically raising the price and pricing out 90% of their consumer base. You people don’t think, do you?
True.
I was exaggerating.
But I'm not wrong when it comes to competition being beneficial.
And I don't count Nintendo Switch as being direct competition to the PS and XBOX because Nintendo is almost like their own thing.

I have one, for my kids. And the games are completely different. Its apples and oranges.

Killjoy-NL

I would just like to say IF Xbox goes fully 3rd party.

This would be the layout

Steam - PC (High End)
Playstation - Console (Medium)
Nintendo - Handhelds (Low End)

Their main type of (genre) games all serve different tastes aswell.

There is still a competition, the dynamics may have just changed.
This.

Been saying this for a while, would be the most logical situation and offer 'healthy' competition.
And they still keep eachother in check as far as pricing is concerned.

Reactions: XXL

Eiknarf

yeah, I'm shocked that others took it seriously.

I was simply trying to make a positive point on competition and prices...etc

We're also talking about the year 2028 for the PS6 and 2037 for the PS7...so with inflation, the way things are going now... if that continues, the PS7 looks like it'll be $1000 easily in the year 2037

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The market early on rejected a $600 PS3 because Xbox had a year head start selling the 360 at a much cheaper price

Ya want a PS6? $1300.

Sony is not stupid enough to price their consoles at that range. Not everyone is a millionaire. They have to make it somewhat affordable.

It's not Sony's fault that Microsoft made terrible decisions.

Eiknarf

It's just their new cope.

They seem to forget its MS that came in with a ridiculously over priced console that they have to sell at less than cost, significantly.
"Their" who?!

Me? I have two PlayStation consoles (PS4 pro and PS5) and zero XBOX's and yet, I'm the one who wrote it! Just wanted to put it out there that competition is good. I don't like XBOX in the slightest, but I dont want them to fail either

XXL

We also need to consider that the competition may be kind of over and these are the result for the foreseeable future.

I don't see anyone overcoming Steam on PC.
I don't see anyone overcoming Playstation in consoles.
I don't see anyone overcoming Nintendo in handhelds.

Am I wrong?

Elysium44

Banned
And this is a good thing? All this does is feeding the trolls and console warriors who sadly gets a unhealthy emotinal connection to "their" brands.
It would be better if the world of gaming was more like the equipment we use/used to get to watch our movies and tv shows. TVs and dvd-players etc. You don't need a specific brand of TV to enjoy all your games or movies, but some might feel better for you. This should be fine with gaming too, and it seems to be heading that way. I mean, except for Nintendo (if you wanna do things 100% legal), most other stuff can be enjoyed on a good PC, and the console world is quite quickly moving towards that too.

Sure it would be better, but I'm just saying how it is now. The trolls / warriors and people having meltdowns are the minority (but make the most noise). The rest of us aren't losing our minds, but we are still concerned about it. I have a PlayStation as well but Xbox is my main platform.

Eiknarf

We also need to consider that the competition may be kind of over and these are the result for the foreseeable future.

Am I wrong?
I'd agree with this

Topher

Gold Member

Am I wrong?

Still have to see where Microsoft takes their hardware strategy. I'm not convinced Xbox is done. If Microsoft can offer a compelling handheld and an aggressively priced revamped Xbox Series X then I think there still may be a place in the market, albeit a small one.

Killjoy-NL

Still have to see where Microsoft takes their hardware strategy. I'm not convinced Xbox is done. If Microsoft can offer a compelling handheld and an aggressively priced revamped Xbox Series X then I think there still may be a place in the market, albeit a small one.
A very small one.

All this PR is extremely damaging to an already dying brand.

Humdinger

It isn't just plastic. People who have had an Xbox for 20 years like me, have gone on a long gaming journey and yes it is emotional and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Humans get attached to things, to particular games, to a particular community - Xbox is where our memories are, where are friends are. This is now in danger of all going away. Of course people will be concerned about that. It isn't a fridge or a washing machine, getting emotionally attached to a particular brand of those would be weird, but gaming is unique. It's a big part of a lot of people's lives. All these comments who think they are clever saying 'it's just plastic' are really stupid.

Agreed. I don't like the shaming I see of other people's reactions. Okay, if it goes off the rails -- if someone smashes their Xbox or literally weeps on camera, sure, goof on them. But I see a lot of shaming other people for having what I think are understandable emotional reactions to these rumors. As you say, gaming is different. It's not "just a piece of plastic." Some people have decades of memories attached to this. People do become emotionally invested. These games and that ecosystem have meant something to them. I get it.

I'd agree with this

And they never will with that kind of thinking

Not criticising you or the person you quote, it’s no excuse the way they have performed with all that capital. Xbox as a console should be much better than what it is

An attitude like that just gives the execs an excuse in underperforming

Last edited:
Top Bottom