• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer gets honest about Redfall

Fake

Wish I knew who was this "Neogaf"
Qx6hSLR.jpg

Is this 'Neogaf' right here in this room?

Last edited:

GHG

Just habit. I've never gamed on PC and wouldn't really know where to start. I enjoy consoles.

Maybe someday I'll have to consider it.

If you can, give it a go somehow. It's the primary platform for indies/smaller games so there's plenty that you'd enjoy that isn't available on console or only gets made available there much later down the line.

Gorgon

They were selling it as a top-tier game, though. HiFi Rush was a mid tier game sold as a mid tier game. A clear win for Xbox. This is just a shit show of people not being honest. If they had put it up for presale at $30-50 people would have started adjusting their expectations accordingly.

You know, I also though that if the game hadn't been hyped to hell as the next big AAA shooter experience with an asking price of 70 usd/pound/eu, then the uproar may have not been justified and could still be a decent co-op experience. But after watching piles of footage, this game is no state to be released at all, let alone asking 70 or even 30 bucks. The game is de facto in an unfinished state, in beta state if you want to be charitable. The only expectation here would be to actually finish the game or cancel it.

Last edited:
The 30 fps/bugs/crashing are one thing. Frankly didn’t encounter any crashing or whatever - it’s the game itself that’s unfinished - everything about it

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Shouldn't the thread be about Phil's comments on Redfall? Not sucking the XBoner or fingering Phil's tight ring here but the thread is about his comments on Redfall, not his "mask off" moment where he flat out admits that...Well you know. The XBone fucked them royally and now dependance is what might keep them afloat but I digress.

The man admits that Redfall is ass on every level. Give into Caesar, what salad he ordered, as Sun Tzu said.

reksveks

Him saying that people have already built their digital libraries is true though. It's the reason why you see so many PC players pissed off at Epic when they money hat a game into their store. People have already large libraries in Steam, they don't want to fragment it to several different stores and platforms.
My friend who is exclusively a PS guy wants to play Starfield, but is kinda annoyed that he has to buy a Xbox for that cause he has a massive digital library of games on PS. It's not about the money, it's about fragmenting your library. And he's not sure if he will bother to do that.

So Phil is partly right that if they suddenly released several massive hits, it wouldn't be a massive shift cause Sony already has a bigger player base and people have built their libraries in their system and don't want to to suddenly start building a new digital library in another platform. A lot of people just skip those games.
That's why he said losing last gen was such a major hit cause it was the generation most people built their digital libraries.
Hell I skip a lot of big games every year cause I just want to play everything on Steam and if it isn't there I just can't be arsed to get it somewhere else.
I feel like the more we shift into digital libraries the bigger this issue will be.
Not sure how this is controversial but it seems to be to some.

Last edited:

Kurotri

The more I think about the interview the more disgusted I get tbh. Sony might be the market leader, but there are still *millions* that bought the new Xbox consoles. They came into this gen creating this narrative that they are hungry for blood after the disastrous Xbox One launch and are going to try everything in their might to compete with Sony. The biggest sign of that commitment was taking Todd Howard and Elder Scrolls away from them. The next one was going for Call of Duty.

And now this man says Xbox was never going for a win here in the first place. Straight after launching the turd that is Redfall. Goddamn, Sony and Nintendo aren't saints but this is just vile.

SkylineRKR

Phil is ofcourse correct about the console war.

The last generation was the first one where digital started to outperform physical. Many gamers have dozens of games on their account and this was in terms of BC and hardware compatibility also the most seamless transition. Most or all your peripherals continue to work too. You are going to have a hard time reeling in consumers with 7+ years of PS4 software on their account, not to mention still working arcade sticks etc. Why would you discard all that? Even at its best its not like the Xbox experience will be drastically different. Microsoft saw their darkest days and Sony one of their brightest, so they locked in many consumers into their ecosystem.

But if its a smart thing to say I let you decide.

LordCBH

Just habit. I've never gamed on PC and wouldn't really know where to start. I enjoy consoles.

Maybe someday I'll have to consider it.

Definitely should! There’s a lot of good games there. The jank pops up every now and then, be it games or the software itself, but I’ve found loads of people willing to jump in with solutions on the rare occurrence were stuff just doesn’t work right.

odhiex

I am curious, did Bethesda or Arkane studio came up with some kind of apologies or admit the mistake through their social platforms following this debacle? Promise for performance patches yada yada..

I have yet to see such post at the Bethesda's or Arkane Studio's Twitter accounts. Maybe, they don't acknowledge these as problems yet?

Interfectum

Phil is ofcourse correct about the console war.

The last generation was the first one where digital started to outperform physical. Many gamers have dozens of games on their account and this was in terms of BC and hardware compatibility also the most seamless transition. Most or all your peripherals continue to work too. You are going to have a hard time reeling in consumers with 7+ years of PS4 software on their account, not to mention still working arcade sticks etc. Why would you discard all that? Even at its best its not like the Xbox experience will be drastically different. Microsoft saw their darkest days and Sony one of their brightest, so they locked in many consumers into their ecosystem.

But if its a smart thing to say I let you decide.
What he said is absolutely not true unless your brand is poisoned beyond repair. Consoles have always sold on killer apps and consumers will always go where the games are. This has always been true. Sony and Nintendo could release a new system with zero backwards compatibility and killer apps and still dominate.

Cyberpunkd

You are going to have a hard time reeling in consumers with 7+ years of PS4 software on their account
No, you won't. Past software is as meaningless as BC. Nobody buys new shiny console to play 5-year old games. You deliver cutting-edge experience people will buy your stuff, as simple as that.

Playstation has games, Nintendo has games, Xbox doesn't have games.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Xbox can't catch a break. I have faith in Obsidian, InXile, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks, and Bethesda Game Studios. I'm certain their games will be good.

Last edited:
I bet Arcane leadership has been LIT up behind the scenes by the executive team for this dumpster fire of a game, no doubt about it. The game should have been delayed by at least a year. Now that he's officially on the record regarding 30FPS, you can bet your sweet ass that Starfield will launch with a 60FPS mode.

Literally every XBOX influencer has been unusually critical of Xbox over the past week and I think it's the wake up call that Xbox needs.

How hard is it? Set the bar high, don't waiver. If a particular studio's project is not ready, get it ready, get them the resources they need to get it ready, or delay it. Within a few years, you'll have consistent results.

Bragr

Banned
He could be helping starving kids and people would still go after him right now.

He's being honest about how bugs are judged in the industry and people can't take it. Playstation operates exactly the same.

Good on Phil for being upfront, this is why he's the leader, I couldn't see any of the other studio heads doing this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

From the mouth of Phil himself, RedFall is in a perfectly fine state for launch... It doesn't crash THAT often...

StarField is going to be a mess...

I love Snow Bike Mike's attitude 100% of the time, but why did he have to say to Phil Spencer "the CMA blocked OUR acquisition of ABK"? Mike you DO NOT work for Microsoft bro!!!

SkylineRKR

What he said is absolutely not true unless your brand is poisoned beyond repair. Consoles have always sold on killer apps and consumers will always go where the games are. This has always been true. Sony and Nintendo could release a new system with zero backwards compatibility and killer apps and still dominate.

Maybe yes, maybe no. PS4 had no BC but Xbox had no Gamepass yet. The landscape still favored physical and many things were usually not compatible (I sold me TE stick because it didn't work anymore). It was kind of expected and easier to discard an ecosystem back then.

I think he shows weakness and for that alone its not smart. You aren't going to purchase Zenimax and Activision for a lost cause.

Nintendo, and maybe Sony, could get away with it because they have an own identity and many exclusive system defining software. The main problem MS faces is that it has to bank on has beens like Gears of War and Halo, and third parties. And the studios they bought aren't going to change that. Its not like Activision is going to release some else than Call of Duty, which everyone knows and doesn't really give Xbox identity. The series might actually lose a lot of users since most players are on PS.

He's right in his own vacuum. He's right because Xbox isn't Nintendo and Sony. Again, its not smart to say.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He could be helping starving kids and people would still go after him right now.

He's being honest about how bugs are judged in the industry and people can't take it. Playstation operates exactly the same.

Good on Phil for being upfront, this is why he's the leader, I couldn't see any of the other studio heads doing this.
Ironically he's usually super honest within the constraints that PR allows, and everyone insists he's a liar. Wonder if that meme will ever die.

kyussman

Yep. Shu or Jim Ryan would have ripped the Arcane leadership a new ass hole. It's a guarantee they would all be fired even before the game is released in this condition. PlayStation got rid of the people who were remaking KOTOR and they were all replaced and the game was passed on to new developers. Shu destroyed God of War 2018 and made them do it over..Sony don't play around. Phil needs to be in HR if he don't have the balls or the business-like savagery to dismantle if needed.
You're not wrong......Evo put out the Motorstorm games(which were great)and Driveclub(which was also great)......one launch fuck up and those guys were toast,super fucking talented studio too.Bastards.....I'll never forgive them,lol.

Riky

$MSFT
Fair play to the guy he took it on the chin, good news they are going to support the game as it's got some great ideas and gameplay in it.

Cyberpunkd

Fair play to the guy he took it on the chin, good news they are going to support the game as it's got some great ideas and gameplay in it.
No, there is no salvaging this dumpster fire. Take the L, apologize, focus on the next game, do not divert resources better spend on trying to salvage something that cannot be salvaged.

Riky

$MSFT
No, there is no salvaging this dumpster fire. Take the L, apologize, focus on the next game, do not divert resources better spend on trying to salvage something that cannot be salvaged.

People said that about Sea Of Thieves, then it became the most successful Rare game of all time with 25 million players.

SSfox

I jumped in the pool not knowing how to swim and you want me to beat the top 2 swimmers?I am tring to survive man.
I'm paraphrasing a bit but it is the general tone.

Edit: I just thought about something, that part when he says "even if Starfield is an 11/10 people won't sell their ps5 etc...".Does he knows that people can buy 2 consoles?of course so far they buy switch and ps5, but this is a great example of how he thinks, when we succed people have to sell their ps5....Wasn't he the one complaining that sony wanted them to fail ....Maybe that's just how he thinks everything.
This guy is completely clueless, i bought 360 for NG2 and still have great memories from that summer, a had PlayStation friend never cared or interested on xbox that came at my house and seen Mass Effect literally goes buy Xbox 360 , of course we buy console for great games, not for some service shit or whatever, holly fuck he is more ignorant than i thought.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
These are not bugs. The game is NOT FINISHED. It is incomplete starting with AI, through different locations and lack of enemies. It is a 'vertical slice' of a game shipped as a full package. Watch the SkillUp video:

I watched it, and he is being melodramatic and frankly a bit childish. The game is finished.

Bad AI and a lack of enemies do not mean a game is unfinished, it's just a bad game.

There are bad games every month. They tried to do a co-op FPS and had no idea how to craft goalpost structures around it, it's a flop.

Phil is completely correct in saying the bugs are in line with how other games are launching.

SkylineRKR

No, you won't. Past software is as meaningless as BC. Nobody buys new shiny console to play 5-year old games. You deliver cutting-edge experience people will buy your stuff, as simple as that.

Playstation has games, Nintendo has games, Xbox doesn't have games.

But we all did. At least, all early adaptors. These systems are 3 years old by the end of this year and still quite a bit of last gen games are being fired up. Its really different now. Covid was a cause, sure, but I think last gen games also held up better than before and on PS5 and XSX often look nearly as good as current gen.

Its not like Sony started out with many next gen exclusives in its first year. Their best selling and most played software was also last gen.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This guy is completely clueless, i bought 360 for NG2 and still have memories from that summer, a had PlayStation friend never cared or interested on xbox that came at my house and seen Mass Effect literally goes buy Xbox 360 , of course we buy console for great games, not for some service shit or whatever, holly fuck he is more ignorant than i thought.
No wonder xbox is in the state that it is right now...Phill would rather release cotrollers than great games, who knows the controllers might tip the scale toward Xbox, if only thzey release great games to play them with.
Fucking hell how hard is it from a guy a the top of a video game console brand that the imporatant part is video games...Shouldn't that shit be obvious to the janitor or even the hobo sleeping on a bench nearby?

Top Bottom