• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on handhelds: "One of the weak points in the experience on a ROG or the Lenovo [Legion Go] is Windows."

What should be running the rumored Xbox handheld?

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
The man said what many have already said. Windows just ain't great on handhelds.

bTeNKQX.png

Whether or not Microsoft is making a handheld, it is good, at the very least, that Microsoft is working towards making Windows better for handhelds.

I wonder if that will light a fire under Valve in getting their Steam OS out to third parties.

Added a poll. Imagine this handheld could run Xbox digital games or run Windows and all Windows programs. Which would you rather have?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
He's just saying that because if an xbox handheld had windows, there would be no reason to release games via Xbox licensing. Steam is cheaper.

you got that from him admitting Windows UX for small screen, controller driven devices is poor, and him saying they’re working to improve Windows for handhelds?

A microsoft steam machine would have to be more expensive than the Steam deck to make any money.

Pricing isn’t the reason why the Ally saw so many returns to Best Buy.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The man said what many have already said. Windows just ain't great on handhelds.

bTeNKQX.png

Whether or not Microsoft is making a handheld, it is good, at the very least, that Microsoft is working towards making Windows better for handhelds.

I wonder if that will light a fire under Valve in getting their Steam OS out to third parties.
I hope they're not lying when they say they actually want to improve the Windows experience. He'll probably say this and then go "and thats why you get the Xbox handheld, so you don't have to use Windows entirely and so we can dodge having to actually improve the UI for handheld systems!"

Ideally some sort of touch oriented hybrid between Windows 8's design and the traditional Windows style would go a long way to making ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go much better for us to play games on

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It would be nice if MS actually can improve Windows for small screens. We shall see. If you all remember Windows Phone, the interface was actually not bad on it with tiles and such.

However I will believe this when I see it. Wouldn’t be surprised in Phil backtracking when Xbox handheld is revealed.

Mr Hyde

Windows is good in that there are so many options in regards to games. Compatibility, emulation, apps, different clients. It works well. But it doesn't really lend itself to portable play in that plug and play-sense you have for Switch, where you just boot up and you're in a game 3 seconds later. Especially if you're outdoors and you have to be connected all the time just to get the fucking thing to work.

Kacho

It would be nice if MS actually can improve Windows for small screens. We shall see. If you all remember Windows Phone, the interface was actually not bad on it with tiles and such.

However I will believe this when I see it. Wouldn’t be surprised in Phil backtracking when Xbox handheld is revealed.
I’m not holding my breath when they can’t be bothered to update their dreadful Xbox app on PC.

ZehDon

Gold Member
If they ever make a handheld I’d much rather it uses a streamlined console-like OS than a bloated PC OS.

I don’t need it to do more than play games, so make it all about playing games, and make it simple/easy to do so.
I imagine they'd do what the Steam Deck already does - introduce a launchable gaming mode. Windows has needed one for a long time, but there's a lot of hurdles to that when translating a desktop experience - people still want multi-tasking, for example (Discord in the background, multi-monitor app support, etc.). With a handheld device, that becomes achievable for Windows: games run in a dedicated gaming mode that basically turns off unrequired OS's features to free up resources for the game, while the user can swap back to regular Windows to use the device as portable PC. Thankfully, the precedent has been set for what the market wants from their PC handhelds. The question is: is Microsoft making an Xbox Deck or an Xbox Switch. I think the former has potential, while the latter would be a mistake - not sure I see the market wanting a handheld Xbox Series P that can't run Windows.

Last edited:
you got that from him admitting Windows UX for small screen, controller driven devices is poor, and him saying they’re working to improve Windows for handhelds?

Pricing isn’t the reason why the Ally saw so many returns to Best Buy.

Phil is a known liar and a hedger. Here is he hedging, whether you can see that or not, I'll leave that up to you.

Windows for handheld doesn't even need to boot into windows.

Who said anything about the Ally?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah they really need to release a handheld gaming version of Windows for these handheld gaming machines. There's so much bloat that just isn't needed if all you want to do is play games on a handheld. And Microsoft needs to make it free.

Ozriel

M$FT
Phil is a known liar and a hedger. Here is he hedging, whether you can see that or not, I'll leave that up to you.

Tinfoil hat territory at this point.
Windows for handheld doesn't even need to boot into windows.

Immaterial. The user is still expected to engage with Windows at some point

Who said anything about the Ally?

You talked about price in comparison to the Deck as the key challenge. I let you know that the major issue plaguing the most popular Windows handheld wasn’t the price, so Microsoft would be justified in focusing on the UX.

Tinfoil hat territory at this point.

Immaterial. The user is still expected to engage with Windows at some point

You talked about price in comparison to the Deck as the key challenge. I let you know that the major issue plaguing the most popular Windows handheld wasn’t the price, so Microsoft would be justified in focusing on the UX.

Or I've been paying attention this guy for years. How much evidence do you want that he lies constantly?

It's beyond easy to create a kiosk mode running with Windows where you don't have to engage with it at all...

The Ally isn't in the same position as an Xbox handheld though, which is my point. Becoming a Windows handheld would expose it to Steam, which means Microsoft would have to sell the hardware at a profit rather than a loss, because they wouldn't make their money back on royalties. They'd have to hope that gamepass subscriptions alone offset the hardware subsidy.

It's not just a matter of UX.

Topher

Gold Member
Added a poll. Imagine this handheld could run Xbox digital games or run Windows and all Windows programs. Which would you rather have?

Crayon

I'll take the windows handheld and wipe it for linux, thanks. No use for a handheld xbox.

Instead I will stick to vintage portables with limited selections of simplistic games on expensive cartridges mostly in a language I can't even read. I am very intelligent.

CLW

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Who does this idiot work for can’t manage his product bash another product of his employer that is FAR MORE SUCCESSFUL

just an absolute idiot I think he has to be TRYING to get fired for a golden parachute

reinking

Gold Member
I hope they bring a streamline Windows OS and make it accessible for other software like Steam. I really doubt they would do that but that is what I would prefer. The good news is, there will be competition that can run both so maybe it will either force their hand or provide an alternative.

Portugeezer

If they ever make a handheld I’d much rather it uses a streamlined console-like OS than a bloated PC OS.

I don’t need it to do more than play games, so make it all about playing games, and make it simple/easy to do so.
If they want they could always have an option to boot into Windows, but in agree that the priority should be console like OS first.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I said Windows, but with a caveat that Microsoft spins of a handheld version of Windows OS. There's no reason to have an Xbox OS handheld when Microsoft can just streamline Windows OS for handhelds.

Klosshufvud

Can't believe people are voting Xbox OS over Windows. People are saying they prefer a locked down, highly exploitative ecosystem with limited games just because the open platform doesn't boot in game in 3 seconds (it takes 10s). Pretty sad.

Ashamam

Interesting choice of words. In one breath its a weak point, in the next its make the experience even better. Doesn't 'even better' suggest it was pretty good to start with?

Its like he got an attack of honesty and quickly recovered to corpo-speak.

Crayon

Can't believe people are voting Xbox OS over Windows. People are saying they prefer a locked down, highly exploitative ecosystem with limited games just because the open platform doesn't boot in game in 3 seconds (it takes 10s). Pretty sad.

Ideally you want the flip-flop like the deck. Preferably with a clean and quiet gui for desktop needs. I use win 10 at work where it's going to be on the cleaner side, but even then it's a funhouse. It's like KDE lol.

Fuck your wallet, kde. Jfc you're like windows sometimes. Sometimes I ask myself why they used you for steam deck.

If they can put together a handheld with approximately the power of the series S then we know the Xbox OS will run well on it. Still think it needs some tweaking for smaller screens, but it would be infinitely better than an OS that is designed for a keyboard and mouse

Crayon

On steam deck you get the best of both, but the choice here is either/or. Console dash or windows on thumb sticks.

Shakka43

They don't need a windows handheld, just convert the insides of the Series S into a portable and they will have a very attractive device to sell.

Klosshufvud

On steam deck you get the best of both, but the choice here is either/or. Console dash or windows on thumb sticks.
Windows works fine for me so long as there are sufficient shortcut buttons and 8'' high-res screen.

If they can put together a handheld with approximately the power of the series S then we know the Xbox OS will run well on it. Still think it needs some tweaking for smaller screens, but it would be infinitely better than an OS that is designed for a keyboard and mouse
It would be infinitely worse games wise. Xbox library is a fraction of PC library and you don't get any emulation. One of the biggest appeals of moderm handhelds is how you can emulate pretty much everything.

It would be infinitely worse games wise. Xbox library is a fraction of PC library and you don't get any emulation. One of the biggest appeals of moderm handhelds is how you can emulate pretty much everything.
You are correct there, but I would bet most people buying Steam decks and other Windows based handhelds are already PC Gamers. My sample size is tiny but I have three friends who have Steam decks and all three are PC master race people.

I think an Xbox handheld is probably more for people who game on Gamepass or Xbox. They might be thinking of taking some of that sweet Switch money, but I kind of doubt they will be converting too many

Topher

Gold Member

I voted for Xbox OS because it would be something different in the handheld market. Really have a hard time seeing the point of another Windows handheld unless Microsoft can bring something new and compelling to the table. And I'm assuming whatever enhancements they make for Windows would also be available for the other handheld manufacturers as well.

Crayon

Windows works fine for me so long as there are sufficient shortcut buttons and 8'' high-res screen.

Yeah sure, for you. There are other people, though.

Some people buy volkswagons. But do I tell them they are wrong? Yes I do. Damn.

So.... yeah nevermind. I'd rather reserve my right to chastise people for liking the wrong cars.

Neilg

A version of windows loaded with xbox branding for small handhelds is pretty inevitable. They'll call it something like xbox OS but the first version will be a glorified windows skin with some features stripped out so it doesnt fuck with compatibility.

StereoVsn

It would need both to succeed. Nobody wants to buy Xbox consoles so I doubt pure Xbox handheld will gain traction.

From Windows side we already got a bunch of contenders, what would MS bring to the table?

Now, if somehow they could manage to have a handheld that would run Xbox games (including BC catalog) and Windows based titles (Steam, EGS, EA, Win Store/GamePass) that would be an interesting option.

What do you mean by this? SteamOS is FOSS; nothing's preventing anyone from using it if they want.

Also I don't know how anyone is having a problem with what he said. Saying Windows has bad UX even in its intended use-case hasn't been a remotely controversial statement for the last 20 years.

Topher

Gold Member
It would need both to succeed. Nobody wants to buy Xbox consoles so I doubt pure Xbox handheld will gain traction.

From Windows side we already got a bunch of contenders, what would MS bring to the table?

Now, if somehow they could manage to have a handheld that would run Xbox games (including BC catalog) and Windows based titles (Steam, EGS, EA, Win Store/GamePass) that would be an interesting option.

That’s what I’ve been trying to wrap my head around. If they could make that work….that’s kind of huge.

StereoVsn

I'm talking about allowing other handheld makers use it on their handhelds as an alternative to Windows. That's something Valve is working on.
I think the issue is as always lack of personnel at Valve. They are just not geared to scale due to their corporate structure so doing proper driver support for multiple vendors is a tall order for them.

Fingers crossed they manage to get to that point in the near future.

Topher

Gold Member
I think the issue is as always lack of personnel at Valve. They are just not geared to scale due to their corporate structure so doing proper driver support for multiple vendors is a tall order for them.

Fingers crossed they manage to get to that point in the near future.

They said Steam OS was heavily "tuned" to Steam Deck so I'm thinking they also have to change the programming interface so that the buttons that pull up the custom overlays like in Armoury Crate will work with the Steam UI. That and, yeah, the drivers and probably a few dozen smaller details that crop up when you have to plan for hardware that is no longer necessarily your own.

Fredrik

Xbox OS would mean no Steam and bad compatibility and less mods.

I think what’s needed is a tailored version of Windows for handhelds (and TVs, for docked big screen mode) controlled in a good way with a dpad.

Jakk

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Who does this idiot work for can’t manage his product bash another product of his employer that is FAR MORE SUCCESSFUL

just an absolute idiot I think he has to be TRYING to get fired for a golden parachute
Wtf, he literally just said Windows isn't really optimized for handheld devices, which is true, and that they are working with Windows to improve it. How is that bashing? You sound like you are 10 years old.

Top Bottom