• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on handhelds: "One of the weak points in the experience on a ROG or the Lenovo [Legion Go] is Windows."

What should be running the rumored Xbox handheld?

• Total voters

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope they're not lying when they say they actually want to improve the Windows experience. He'll probably say this and then go "and thats why you get the Xbox handheld, so you don't have to use Windows entirely and so we can dodge having to actually improve the UI for handheld systems!"

Ideally some sort of touch oriented hybrid between Windows 8's design and the traditional Windows style would go a long way to making ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go much better for us to play games on
Yeah, nah. Steam Deck OLED waiting for Steam Deck 2. Not interested in other PC like solutions that are not fully open (full Windows improved maybe… but still prefer Valve’s solution).

skit_data

j741hPe.jpg

Kumomeme

typical of Spencer. only said what people want to hear but i doubt there is appropriate measure taken.

could be wrong this time though..

old-parts

SteamOS is designed as a console OS first with an optional desktop mode, Windows is designed as a desktop OS only.

The GUI of windows is not suited towards handhelds, maybe MS can smooth it over somewhat but it probably means adding an Xbox style interface for running gamepass or steam etc. which is what he is hinting at.

But there are many other issues, for example the GPU control panel of SteamOS is made by Valve not AMD as the drivers are open source, on windows AMD drivers are closed source so would require support specifically from AMD if they were to try something similar.

I don't know if MS is really willing to make serious changes, it would have to be a separate SKU like a Windows 12 Games Edition.

I'm talking about allowing other handheld makers use it on their handhelds as an alternative to Windows. That's something Valve is working on.
Nothing is preventing other handheld makers from modifying SteamOS to work on their hardware if they want, so 'allow' isn't the right word here.

Topher

Gold Member
Nothing is preventing other handheld makers from modifying SteamOS to work on their hardware if they want, so 'allow' isn't the right word here.

Sure there is. The underlying OS is open source, but the Steam application that integrates with the hardware is not.

Last edited:

Oppoi

robert-downey-jr-iron-man.gif

A conspiracy is so plain there's no need to even adress it. We get it, you're making your own handheld... and you're going third party.

Last edited:
It's almost 2 years since the Steamdeck was released. 2/25/22.
I'm curious why they can't make a GUI focused on gaming that fits on a tiny screen.
Fonts that expensive?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those guys may have more power, but they don’t have Valve’s commitment. Steam Deck isn’t going to be topped by any Window’s handheld.

I imagine they'd do what the Steam Deck already does - introduce a launchable gaming mode. Windows has needed one for a long time, but there's a lot of hurdles to that when translating a desktop experience - people still want multi-tasking, for example (Discord in the background, multi-monitor app support, etc.). With a handheld device, that becomes achievable for Windows: games run in a dedicated gaming mode that basically turns off unrequired OS's features to free up resources for the game, while the user can swap back to regular Windows to use the device as portable PC. Thankfully, the precedent has been set for what the market wants from their PC handhelds. The question is: is Microsoft making an Xbox Deck or an Xbox Switch. I think the former has potential, while the latter would be a mistake - not sure I see the market wanting a handheld Xbox Series P that can't run Windows.
Well if they go with a windows handheld, then everyone will just install steam, which they do not want, so there is no doubt they are going try a closed Xbox handheld first, something close to power of the series s at 720p.

Last edited:
Sure there is. The underlying OS is open source, but the Steam application that integrates with the hardware is not.
You're gonna have to have to break this down to me, because as someone who has experience with how OSs interact with hardware, what you're saying is making no sense. Are you suggesting that something in the proprietary Steam app needs to change for third parties to use it with custom hardware? If so:
  1. What type of hardware? (Screen, controller, keyboard, etc)
  2. Are you also suggesting that means the Steam app does not work on the ROG Ally on Windows?
  3. What additional work do you think needs to be done that hasn't been done by the OSS community here?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well if they go with a windows handheld, then everyone will just install steam, which they do not want, so there is no doubt they are going try a closed Xbox handheld first, something close to power of the series s at 720p.
As I said in my post, the precedent has been set for what the market wants. If Microsoft launch an Xbox Series P that cannot run Windows, I'm not sure I see the market for it. Why buy an Xbox Series P over a Steam Deck? That's Microsoft's problem to solve.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You're gonna have to have to break this down to me, because as someone who has experience with how OSs interact with hardware, what you're saying is making no sense. Are you suggesting that something in the proprietary Steam app needs to change for third parties to use it with custom hardware? If so:
  1. What type of hardware? (Screen, controller, keyboard, etc)
  2. Are you also suggesting that means the Steam app does not work on the ROG Ally on Windows?
  3. What additional work do you think needs to be done that hasn't been done by the OSS community here?

1. Two buttons used for toggling custom overlays for changing power levels, on screen monitoring, etc. and various shortcuts such as on-screen keyboard. Perhaps more else where. Not sure.
2. Asus and Lenovo had to create their own custom software for Windows to accomplish what Valve did with Steam Deck OS. There are some open source options such as Handheld Companion though. https://github.com/Valkirie/HandheldCompanion.
3. Probably a lot of it is very similar work. I actually tried ChimeraOS on my Rog Ally and it was buggy. I never got the sound to work, but that was a typical issue for many. They may have fixed that now. Either way, I'm guessing manufacturers are waiting for an official release rather than community work.

If I still don't make sense to you then maybe Valve will....

So when are we going to get SteamOS 3.x outside of the Steam Deck?

"Oh, man," sighs Lawrence Yang, "it's very high on our list, it's on our list and we are working on it. But a lot of the same people that would make the general install of SteamOS available are the same people that are making Galileo [Steam Deck OLED] work.

"We're hoping soon, though, it is very high on our list, and we want to make SteamOS more widely available. We'll probably start with making it more available to other handhelds with a similar gamepad style controller. And then further beyond that, to more arbitrary devices. I think that the biggest thing is just, you know, driver support and making sure that it can work on whatever PC it happens to land on. Because right now, it's very, very tuned for Steam Deck."

Last edited:
1. Two buttons used for toggling custom overlays for changing power levels, on screen monitoring, etc. and various shortcuts such as on-screen keyboard. Perhaps more else where. Not sure.
2. Asus and Lenovo had to create their own custom software for Windows to accomplish what Valve did with Steam Deck OS. There are some open source options such as Handheld Companion though. https://github.com/Valkirie/HandheldCompanion.
3. Probably a lot of it is very similar work. I actually tried ChimeraOS on my Rog Ally and it was buggy. I never got the sound to work, but that was a typical issue for many. They may have fixed that now. Either way, I'm guessing manufacturers are waiting for an official release rather than community work.

If I still don't make sense to you then maybe Valve will....

1. Are those things the Steam client or the OS? Because power levels sounds like an OS config.
  2. This didn't answer my question. Does the Steam app not work on ROG Ally Windows?
  3. Sure, they may be waiting for an official release but that's a far cry from "Valve needs to allow third party vendors to use SteamOS" which is solely what I'm asking about.
  4. Nothing in that article backs up your claim that Valve needs to do work on the proprietary Steam client to allow third party vendors to use it in SteamOS. It implies that Valve is interested in doing work in SteamOS to make it palatable to third party vendors because Valve doesn't think they'd be willing to write their own driver support (drivers having nothing to do with the Steam client, of course).
  5. IMO opinion, there are 3 reasons that Asus chose Windows for the Ally, and none of them have anything to do with Valve allowing them to use SteamOS. They're more comfortable with Windows, Windows has access to more games, and Microsoft probably paid them (which is a thing Microsoft does and it's not a secret). Valve doing work to maintain Linux drivers for third-party vendors will only partially solve the first reason, but it won't address the second two.
To be abundantly clear, my contention is that Valve needs to allow third parties to use SteamOS because the claim makes no sense to me. I'm not gonna argue that Valve can't do work to encourage third parties to use SteamOS, because they obviously can because very few people in this world want to write their own Linux drivers for weird custom hardware.

I'm only asking because the claim was strange enough that I needed to check if I was missing something, which at this point seems like the answer is 'no'.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
  1. Are those things the Steam client or the OS? Because power levels sounds like an OS config.
  2. This didn't answer my question. Does the Steam app not work on ROG Ally Windows?
  3. Sure, they may be waiting for an official release but that's a far cry from "Valve needs to allow third party vendors to use SteamOS" which is solely what I'm asking about.
  4. Nothing in that article backs up your claim that Valve needs to do work on the proprietary Steam client to allow third party vendors to use it in SteamOS. It implies that Valve is interested in doing work in SteamOS to make it palatable to third party vendors because Valve doesn't think they'd be willing to write their own driver support (drivers having nothing to do with the Steam client, of course).
  5. IMO opinion, there are 3 reasons that Asus chose Windows for the Ally, and none of them have anything to do with Valve allowing them to use SteamOS. They're more comfortable with Windows, Windows has access to more games, and Microsoft probably paid them (which is a thing Microsoft does and it's not a secret). Valve doing work to maintain Linux drivers for third-party vendors will only partially solve the first reason, but it won't address the second two.
To be abundantly clear, my contention is that Valve needs to allow third parties to use SteamOS because the claim makes no sense to me. I'm not gonna argue that Valve can't do work to encourage third parties to use SteamOS, because they obviously can because very few people in this world want to write their own Linux drivers for weird custom hardware.

I'm only asking because the claim was strange enough that I needed to check if I was missing something, which at this point seems like the answer is 'no'.

1. No idea
2. When I installed Linux on my Rog Ally, the buttons did not work

If you think "allow" is the wrong word then I'm fine using a different word. I'm not hung up that. I was just trying to answer your questions, not debate on semantics.

Last edited:

Fake

Isn't the main issue that many games are not developed using UWP?

The main issue is that UWP are total garbage.

I still trying to figure why Dolby Atmos don't work when I boot my notebook.

Always need to restart the damn PC. Same as Intel Control Panel.

Variahunter

If they make a handheld, it will be another generation wasted to the lowest common denominator like the Series S has been.
Because of course they’ll ask publishers that all the games have to be compatible with their home console AND their fucking handheld.
Steam Deck and ROG ally and Go do not do this, they either run the games or don’t, like any PC on Steam.

Seriously fuck them. They constantly bring this medium down.

mrcroket

I want a real handheld, not another handheld pc, so windows is not an option. I don't want to deal with drivers, graphics settings, windows update, bloatware, UI design, no quick resume.....

I have a Steamdeck and a Legion Go.

From a handheld perspective the SD is more ergonomic, not as heavy and the SteamOS big picture mode is a way better console like experience.

For someone that travels a lot for work like I do, the Legion Go is a phenomenal gaming PC when hooked up to a dock with M/Kb and a monitor. Way cheaper than any gaming PC and plays most things just fine. I think it's absurd to put a 1600p screen on any device that doesn't have the internals to push anything at that resolution so overkill there but a great on the go PC all the same.
In handheld form, the Legion software has some solid ideas but execution is lagging behind the SteamOS bpm.

Top Bottom