• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - what’s he actually done?

Phil needs to be replaced, that much is for sure. He should be commended for turning the Xbox One around but he has outlived his usefulness. It’s tough to stay motivated for Xbox with Phil at the helm.

They need to replace him with someone outside of Microsoft as well. Someone from a larger publisher who has a proven track record.

Last edited:

solidus12

LD1h4Ds.png

Topher

Gold Member
You mean like Jimbo Ryan? Were are all the studios he started from scratch or is he buying studios left and right? Also Sony could of bought every studio Microsoft did in 2018 outside playground but Sony doesn't buy fixer upers. Yes Brian fargo not returning or keeping the lights on at double fine or allowing Obsidian entertainment to make AAA games again is about keeping shit off PlayStation lol.

Buying Bethesda was all about keeping Bethesda games away from PlayStation. Period.

Sony didn't start anything from scratch but at least they fostered Naughty Dog from the company that made Jax and Daxter to the company that made Uncharted and TLOU. That was 22 years ago.

At least they fostered Sucker Punch from the company that made Sly Cooper to the company that made Infamous and Ghost of Tsushima. That was over ten years ago.

At least Sony fostered Lost Boys Games into what would become Guerilla Games and make Killzone and Horizon. That was 20 years ago.

Hell, Insomniac wouldn't even be a thing without Sony. 20+ years ago

That's a shit-ton of history there. That's a massive history of gaming that Microsoft cannot buy.

And the shit Microsoft has bought has turned to shit. I take no pleasure in saying that.

And I say that, rightfully, as an Xbox Series X owning customer of Microsoft.

I'm just tired of the bullshit.

Last edited:
Its not a phill issue. Its more of a studios issue.

If Red fall bad then head of studios Booty needs to be more strict and Bethesda is self managed, which also needs to be changed.

Stricter monitoring needed.

One guy alone cant change how 30 studios work. You bring anyone else and still result wont be different unless studios management is more serious about games they produce.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its not a phill issue. Its more of a studios issue.

If Red fall bad then head of studios Booty needs to be more strict and Bethesda is self managed, which also needs to be changed.

Stricter monitoring needed.

One guy alone cant change how 30 studios work. You bring anyone else and still result wont be different unless studios management is more serious about games they produce.
And who is responsible for Matt Booty's performance?

People are criticizing Matt Booty unfairly. That guy couldn't properly handle 5 studios until 2017. Phil Spencer off-loaded 23 studios on him. Of course, shit was gonna hit the fan.

And who is responsible for Matt Booty's performance?

People are criticizing Matt Booty unfairly. That guy couldn't properly handle 5 studios until 2017. Phil Spencer off-loaded 23 studios on him. Of course, shit was gonna hit the fan.
Kicking phill wont do anything. New head will not change shit magically.
Phill is a businessman, he cant go see whhat every studio is doing. All he can do just lay off studio if performing bad.
Its upto studio management to make sure game is good.

Plus Bethesda self managed as per deal I think. Arkane is a experienced studio. They should have told Bethesda top management game is not ready and we must delay or something.

bender

What time is it?
Buying Bethesda was all about keeping Bethesda games away from PlayStation. Period.

Sony didn't start anything from scratch but at least they fostered Naughty Dog from the company that made Jax and Daxter to the company that made Uncharted and TLOU. That was 22 years ago.

At least they fostered Sucker Punch from the company that made Sly Cooper to the company that made Infamous and Ghost of Tsushima. That was over ten years ago.

At least Sony fostered Lost Boys Games into what would become Guerilla Games and make Killzone and Horizon. That was 20 years ago.

That's a shit-ton of history there. That's a massive history of gaming that Microsoft cannot buy.

And the shit Microsoft has bought has turned to shit. I take no pleasure in saying that.

Somewhere Crash and Spyro are crying because you forgot about them...and the soldiers from Shellshock: Nam '67...and before you mention Rocket, robots don't cry, except me, bender.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Kicking phill wont do anything. New head will not change shit magically.
Phill is a businessman, he cant go see whhat every studio is doing. All he can do just lay off studio if performing bad.
Its upto studio management to make sure game is good.

Plus Bethesda self managed as per deal I think. Arkane is a experienced studio. They should have told Bethesda top management game is not ready and we must delay or something.
That's not how the management or organizational structure works though.

Phil is not supposed to check all 23 studios personally. For 18 studios, he has Matt Booty. For the rest of the 7 studios, he has Pete Hines.

He needs to get regular reports from those 2 on what's going in studios that each of them manages. And if there is any problem, Phil either needs to ask them to fix it or step in to fix it himself. If Matt Booty or Pete Hines isn't doing their job, Phil needs to fire them and get the right people in place.

And if Phil isn't doing any of those things, and if things are getting worse under his watch, it is his responsibility in the end, being the Head of the gaming division.

StereoVsn

Basically he was given a blank cheque from MS to support the things Xbox cant afford Like Gamepass and Acquisitions.
The best thing he has actually done is Backwards compatibility and quick Resume
Actually big props for BC push. Wish it was even more games then that, but modern licensing sucks.

That said... Phil has been head of Xbox games since what, 2009? Then became head of the division in 2014.

In terms of software output it's been pretty mediocre. And yes, Forza is good, but even there simple shit line Wheel support on even mainline Forza is kind of terrible.

The rest of new software catalogue has been mediocre with a few exceptions.

OG Xbox started things well, and first half of Xbox 360 did really well. They tried to diversify gaming catalogue, funded Japanese games, made inroads into Europe

Then they stopped with software support and went shooters, sports, Kinect and here we are, 12 years later or so and it's still the same shit.

That's not how the management or organizational structure works though.

Phil is not supposed to check all 23 studios personally. For 18 studios, he has Matt Booty. For the rest of the 7 studios, he has Pete Hines.

He needs to get regular reports from those 2 on what's going in studios that each of them manages. And if there is any problem, Phil either needs to ask them to fix it or step in to fix it himself. If Matt Booty or Pete Hines isn't doing their job, Phil needs to fire them and get the right people in place.

And if Phil isn't doing any of those things, and if things are getting worse under his watch, it is his responsibility in the end, being the Head of the gaming division.
Phill is beloved in MS. He not going anywhere till he himself resigns. Satya made him president of all entertainment and devices. He must be doing something right to get promotion at MS.

But i agree he needs to be stricter. Hands off approach for Bethesda needs to be changed.

If Starfield also fails bad then maybe big changes needed everywhere in xbox.

Iced Arcade

I mean he did a few things
- removed Kinect.
- got Xbox to allow cross play.
- reidroduced backwards compatibility.
- introduced same day releases on PC and Xbox.
- gamepass.
- adaptive controller.
- published games on Nintendo.

xbox had a mere 5 studios to acquiring:
- Mojang
-Ninja Theory
-Undead Lab
- Compulsion Games
- Playground Games
- Inxile Entertainment
- Obsidian Entertainment
- Double Fine Productions
- Bethesda/zeimax and all the studios.

yea looks like a big Activision blunder, dude is cringy/annoying AF and doesn't stfu and there is a bad game scheduling issue but downplaying dude is kinda humourous.

Last edited:
He managed to save the Xbox One to a point but since then, it's been pretty much a downwards trajectory starting with Game Pass. I like the service but it doesn't sell consoles and is slowly killing the Xbox as a hardware platform. They think they know better than Nintendo and Sony with their 30 year old strategy of releasing a piece hardware and then having exclusive software forcing people to buy it. You never know, maybe they do it because it works. If Starfield was only on the Xbox it would shift consoles.

mrmustard

Banned
Phil gave us gamepass, and it’s great.

They put out two consoles for different audiences.

They normalized day one support for PC and console of their major releases.

He did buy these studios but game development right now is a 5+ year cycle so the fruits to that labor haven’t been seen because the acquisitions are recentx

All that said if some of these acquisitions don’t yield banger games he needs to go and many others.
WTF are you doing? You are supposed to bash him.

The Shepard

All show and no go. I was really hoping for a return to the original xbox/xbox 360 days this gen. I brought a series x at launch and still waiting on that game that makes me feel i got my moneys worth. I think this is the worst start to a gen they've ever had and we are coming up to 3 years this year. He's destroyed the sale of physical games, at least green peace must love him.

Last edited:
Starting to think extra year/hands off is a bad thing. Procrastination/crunch might be good, personally I produce my best work in those tense moments. Maybe devs at Xbox are too relaxed

Kokoloko85

Actually big props for BC push. Wish it was even more games then that, but modern licensing sucks.

That said... Phil has been head of Xbox games since what, 2009? Then became head of the division in 2014.

Yeah Xbox BC is the best out of the console platforms.

2009 ey… Yeah thats when it started to go downhill for Xbox lol. Not good

Banjo64

cumsessed
The guy has done a fantastic job in persuading MS to invest in Xbox.

The guy has proved that he and his team are utterly incompetent in managing studios.

He’s done his job, if Xbox ever want to thrive they need to get some cold bastards in with their fingers on the pulse. If they look within (Sarah Bond) you can look forward to another decade of utter mediocrity.

Robb

Gold Member
GamePass, finding and purchasing loads of new studios which Xbox desperately needed at the time, convincing upper management to make unprecedented purchases like Zenimax and ActiBlizz.

The stuff he has managed to pull over the years is pretty insane imo. He must be really good at convincing people.

Imagine if Xbox still was a Forza, Halo, Gears machine today and GamePass wasn’t a thing. I don’t know if it’d still be around. I definitely wouldn’t have been interested in it at least.

Last edited:

nowhat

Phil gave us gamepass, and it’s great.

They put out two consoles for different audiences.

They normalized day one support for PC and console of their major releases.

He did buy these studios but game development right now is a 5+ year cycle so the fruits to that labor haven’t been seen because the acquisitions are recentx

All that said if some of these acquisitions don’t yield banger games he needs to go and many others.
"All right, but apart from Game Pass, two consoles, day one PC support and studio acquisitions, what has Phil Spencer ever done for us?"
"Brought peace."
"Oh. Peace? Shut up!"

fermcr

NO, Phil Spencer didn't save the Xbox.
He's been in front of the Xbox division for 10 years, and during that time the Xbox has gotten worse, with less console sales, less exclusives, and from the few exclusives most of them are busts. He spent money on countless studios that still haven't delivered. He just threw away 3 billion on the failed Activision acquisition. The only positive was Gamepass.

Yeah it was done in a sort of addition by subtraction way, they needed more first party exclusives so they decided to buy a publisher and make most everything that wasn't already on PlayStation exclusive. These games would have come to xbox anyway so in the long run the people who only own xbox's aren't really getting anything more than they would have had if Bethesda had stayed multiplatform, well other than these games coming day one to game pass but MS could have paid for that anyway. Imagine if MS hadn't bought Bethesda what xbox would be looking like right now.

bender

What time is it?
"All right, but apart from Game Pass, two consoles, day one PC support and studio acquisitions, what has Phil Spencer ever done for us?"
"Brought peace." "Bought Peas"
"Oh. Peace? Shut up!"
giphy.gif

Last edited:
NO, Phil Spencer didn't save the Xbox.
He's been in front of the Xbox division for 10 years, and during that time the Xbox has gotten worse, with less console sales, less exclusives, and from the few exclusives most of them are busts. He spent money on countless studios that still haven't delivered. He just threw away 3 billion on the failed Activision acquisition. The only positive was Gamepass.
Let's not forget he was GM or studios in 2009 and VP a year later, he's been in positions to positively impact first party output for a long time , instead everything went downhill and has yet to recover.

Spencer has done a lot for Xbox. He arguably saved it from being totally shut down. There are a list of things I (and anyone with an objective eye can name) I can name, but at this point, his victories seem to be overshadowed by his blunders, of late.

For Game Pass (or Xbox sales) to actually mean anything, they need to offer compelling titles, back-to-back-to-back, and right now they're aren't doing that. If the statement "Xbox has no games" has ever been through, it's at this point. They need hard-hitting AAA experiences that excite players and the gaming industry, and we're just not seeing those. If the Actiblizon deal doesn't go throw (and it likely won't), they need to put that 65 billion to real use and invest heavily in their talent pool, and now importantly their management and the people who have the visions for these games, because that is where they're lacking. The hand-off approach they've been taking is not working in their favor, evidently. They've let 343 go unchecked for far too long, and look where that landed them. None of their big games sell like they used to. They've pretty much allowed their IPs to become so bad (relatively speaking) that they're tarnishing and diminishing the value of their own brand.

If they still want to go on an acquisition run, then buying up smaller developers is the way to go. Clearly big publisher buy-outs won't be a thing for them in the foreseeable future - they need to let that go and really invest in their "homegrown" talent. They're in a tricky position though, because triple A development takes considerably longer now, and time is what they don't have - their release schedule is abysmally bad.

Let's not talk about their supply constraints for hardware. Phil needs to be given hard dead-lines to turn various things around (he did it once), and if he can't do it, then I'm afraid he should get the boot.

Sony

Nintendo
What Phil Spencer has done is introduce some of the consumer friendly policies in console gaming. It might be hard to remember for some people due to the draught of high quality AAA games from Microsoft, but I'm happy to remind you that:
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer enhances a decent selection of Xbox, Xbox 360 games Xbox One games to 4k and/or 60fps free of charge while the competition charges its customers for it
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer allows you to buy a first party console game and make you automatically own that game on PC
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer introduced 'Smart Delivery', that at the beginning of the generation was bashed by critics and fanatics for being PR-BS, but later in the gen turned out to be quite useful as upgrade chaos ensued at their competitor
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer doesn't charge you for more for current gen versions of last gen games, the competition does and only reverse that is certain cases when there is enough backlash
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer introduced a subscribtion service where first party content is launched day-and-date with the B2P version
- Microsoft under Phil Spencer didn't increase the price of their offerings because of 'inflation', as their market leader and selling-like-hotcakes-competitor did

But yeah, forget all that because Xbox has a first party draught and Refall sux. The fanatisism is self-castrating at this point. Props to Sony, they release such good games that their loyal following infores all the anti-consumer policies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom