• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer's audience reaction staged at IGN interview?

What do you think GAF?
Edit:
Yeah, I should have written the title differently, now I'm going to be mocked for asking this :messenger_weary:. It's not that I doubt they do that, it's just that so far there's only this tweet with the video, so there may be more information (or not) about why the audience was excited and applauding when Phil talked about the studio closures.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look GIF by The Maury Show

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Not surprising at all. This is pretty standard stuff for live events. I’ve been to dozens of E3 live interviews and I’d say almost half of the time the audience is prepped beforehand. Though I’ve never heard of the “loudest cheerleader” getting some prize or something. That sounds either made up or incredibly desperate.

Either way. It’s dumb and kind of slimy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Quite common when it comes to these things sadly, even phil seemed a tad weirded out when they cheered after the closure question.
That shit was hilarious.

And they cheered the loudest at the event over Sam Lake telling the audience "we are going to sell you dust collecting junk (paraphrased)" 🤣

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

A 3rd party company that reviews games shouldn't really be doing this. Dont care if its normal, your meant to be an unbiased gaming company that reviews games on all platforms, you shouldnt be involved with the crowd when working with another platform.
Might not be real but if it is thats what i think

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait so like with all good live studio audience management?

ECsYFn8X4AEMhQD.jpg:large

You can see the applause signs here.

IGN did this for the whole show NOT just for Phil Spencer.
Some random indie dev shows up and is talking about stuff beyond your purview......youll still get an applause because once the energy in the studio goes down, the shows is pretty much fucked and you might as well have just done it as a podcast.
There was a long-ish PC gaming section, 99% of the crowd that shit went over their heads......your gonna need to keep crowd managing them otherwise they might literally just leave then you have a quiet show for your next section.

Pelao

A 3rd party company that reviews games shouldn't really be doing this. Dont care if its normal, your meant to be an unbiased gaming company that reviews games on all platforms, you shouldnt be involved with the crowd when working with another platform.
Exactly this, which makes the excuses that this is commonplace weird to me. Yes, sure, a company hyping its own event is commonplace, but for a media outlet, whose supposed role is to inform the consumer, to be shilling for a company in this way just doesn't seem right.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You think that fat cunt is actually going to open himself up to genuine scrutiny of any kind? Of course it’s all stage managed.

Incredulous Come On GIF by Almost Christmas Movie

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Exactly this, which makes the excuses that this is commonplace weird to me. Yes, sure, a company hyping its own event is commonplace, but for a media outlet, whose supposed role is to inform the consumer, to be shilling for a company in this way just doesn't seem right.

It’s IGN, not the NY Times. I’m surprised they even asked about studio closures. This is like getting upset that people are asked to clap on Good Morning America or whatever.

Black_Stride

They are unbiased.
Literally everyone gets cheers.
Did you actually watch the event, cuz there was a lot of sections where no one in the right mind would be cheering that hard but its crowd management, if you are doing a live event, the crowd needs to be popping off even if they have no idea who just came on stage.

Im the CUDA king but I didnt even know who Guerillmo Siman was.....the crowd was going off.

March Climber

Gold Member
The question is who was turning it on for studio closures?
The issue they probably encountered was twofold. 1) They didn't want dead silence after hearing that and 2) There's no audience prompt to match that type of conversation.

The best solution was to wait for Phil to say something positive at the very end and place a cheer at that moment, which honestly barely half the crowd even cheered at that when listening to it. There were even a few 'oooohs' which almost sounded boo-like.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The issue they probably encountered was twofold. 1) They didn't want dead silence after hearing that and 2) There's no audience prompt to match that type of conversation.

The best solution was to wait for Phil to say something positive at the very end and place a cheer at that moment, which honestly barely half the crowd even cheered at that when listening to it. There were even a few 'oooohs' which almost sounded boo-like.
They should have had the "awwwwww" promt. 🤣

Rockman33

Sounds like you’ve never been to anything tapped that was live…. They always do this type of thing.

I remember I went to a tapping of late night and there’s monitors everywhere to tell you when to clap and cheer.

Black_Stride

Are you okay, the same IGN who hosts unaltered trailers and post verbatim press releases from these same companies?
The whole point of IGN LIve is to have game devs up on stage feel like their game is being promoted by IGN, if the audience is fucking silent when I get on stage, you best believe im not coming back next year.
So IGN hypes everyone, literally the whole show had random devs youve never heard of get crowd reactions......gamers are the only ones who will pick out one specific spot that fits their narrative to bitch about.
This event is a marketing event.

what-do-you-think-of-geto-suguru-v0-jkdhmdt9o3hb1.jpeg

Looks like a cry for attention from some no-name Twitter personality. Phil Spencer actually did address the question head on, and he credited himself for making the decision. I can't tell if the second video was even taken at the same time. While I would not be surprised for audiences to be primed for reactions like that, from the videos above I don't see enough evidence to connect the dots. Seems more like manufactured outrage to pump engagement stats on Twitter.

Quantum253

Not surprising at all. This is pretty standard stuff for live events. I’ve been to dozens of E3 live interviews and I’d say almost half of the time the audience is prepped beforehand. Though I’ve never heard of the “loudest cheerleader” getting some prize or something. That sounds either made up or incredibly desperate.

Either way. It’s dumb and kind of slimy.
Thought the same thing about putting employees/staged people/etc into the audience to start clapping/cheer to be picked up by the mics and start a reaction was/is a thing too. You can always tell when it's genuine and when it's forced/faked.

Ryan isn’t a journalist, he’s an unofficial extension of Microsoft PR. Part of the problem basically.as are the others

Hellblade 2 isn’t a 10/10 game.

Frankly I would like others in the media to call this blatant shit out but there’s more chance of a Kill the Justice League sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom