• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical vs Digital on consoles. Which do you prefer and why

WHAT

• I buy what's cheaper

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I try to buy Physical games only

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • I try to buy digial games only

Votes: 156 43.5%
  • I don't buy games and use sub services

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am trying to get 100% games physical on ps4/5 and as I did on 360.
But recently I have a lot of doubts around this topic. Let me explain my view.

My physical positives:
-Always cheaper at launch. 70$ games are 55-60$ usually at local retailers and chains
-Physical box to display on your shelf
-Rare nowadays but you get goodies like maps, postcards and so on. With Elden Ring I got plenty of stuff including a woven patch. Nothing beats saints row. They added a map, postcards, cloth bandana lol and even a keychain. They thought the game will sell lol. But anyway - way more bang for the buck.
-Fully playable off-line even if it's only 1.0
-Don't care if I get banned or hacked, don't care about PSN speeds.

Physical negatives:
-Can be damaged or stolen.
-Discs are loud
-Require shelf space
-only v1.0 which is a fun curiosity but also a drawback
-Does not get as much discounted as digital games on sales
-Clearly is a dying format. I doubt ps6 will support discs, so the whole collection might be for nothing
-Can be hard to find here. nothing locally, I need to order on-line. Big problem sometimes

Digital positives:
-Easy access
-Fast downloads (in theory since psn sucks ass)
-Good low discounts
-No room required
-2tb nvme is super cheap nowadays. You can store your games ready to play.

Digital negatives:
-More expensive at launch
-Discunted only when store owner says so. With physical, people control the market
-games can be modified, have content removed, music removed etc
-you own nothing
-servers can die, you can get banned or hacked. ps3 servers were supposed to be disabled. What happens to people wanting to play their libraries on their ps3s ?

So clearly I have some doubts.
When buying physical I am happy that I get to own something to display and paly no matter what happens in the future.
But I am also aware that it's a dying format that will go away.
edit: of course hundreds of games on steam but there are no options

Say what you think and what will be your next purchase!

edit: There is a website to check how off-line playable releases are. very useful

Last edited:
I prefer digital copies nowadays as even the physical discs require installs and updates. So, they act more as a security check akin to older PC games that required the disc in the drive to play. Also, I hate when the lasers in the readers crap out in the long term. Still prefer to keep films and shows in the physical format as they just automatically play after insertion.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I tend to do a mix of both.

Games I really love/can't wait for I buy on disc.

Fighting games, 360 BC games & smaller indie titles, I buy digitally (some i have purchased hard copies for too like Ori will of the Wisps etc)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I prefer physical except for stuff like retro collections like Castlevania GBA or Mega Man, stuff like that. Also multiplayer games I just want ot load up. I just prefer to have that on the hard drive.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm 100% digital. It's pretty much all advantages as far as I'm concerned

• It's cheaper if you are a savvy consumer
  • Way more convenient
  • Doesn't take up any space
  • No chance of losing or damaging your games
  • Silent (whereas discs can be loud while the disc is being read)

Only negative I can think of is that you can’t re-sell digital games or borrow them to friends.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm 100% digital. It's pretty much all advantages as far as I'm concerned

• It's cheaper if you are a savvy consumer Sure but physical is also cheaper at least outside of deals on psn and so on
  • Way more convenient
  • Doesn't take up any space
  • No chance of losing or damaging your games generally I would agree but you can still get banned, hacked, psn can die and so on
  • Silent (whereas discs can be loud while the disc is being read)

Only negative I can think of is that you can re-sell digital games or borrow them to friends.
My comments in red. Rest, I agree

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Digital only, ease of handling and collection follow console generations (truer for Xbox).
This is one of my concerns for the future.
I have a sizeable 360 collection ... and if it was digital, I would be able to get xsx for some nice emulation.

oji-san

Banned
Digital PS5 is more beautiful imo, was cheaper and i only bought digital games on PS4 so was right up my alley.
Obviously for the long run if you buy physical games then the difference between the digital PS5 and disc version is tiny compared to the savings buying physical games. I also got XSX and only bought digital games for it as well.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I play mostly on PC which is digital hell, so when I get something for a console I want it to be physical. Last one I got I think was Dragon's Crown last summer if I'm not mistaken.

It's also cool to wait for the delivery dude/dudette to bring my game home, kinda hypes it.

Jennings

100% Digital on Xbox & PC because I hate physical media.

100% Physical on Nintendo Switch because they can always be found cheaper than digital and I can usually sell the cartridges for more than I paid.

Last edited:

Kacho

I’ve been all digital on PC since 08 or 09. The last physical game I bought was Wrath of the Lich King.

On console I’ve been all digital since 2013.

Sure it’s nice having a copy in the hands, but it makes less sense these days with all the patches, DLC and that some discs are just a key to download the full version from a server.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I play mostly on PC which is digital hell, so when I get something for a console I want it to be physical. Last one I got I think was Dragon's Crown last summer if I'm not mistaken.

It's also cool to wait for the delivery dude/dudette to bring my game home, kinda hypes it.
hmmm that's a cool way to think about it. I do get extremely excited to unpack new game, smell the disc, rub it on my cheeks and so on.
It really is a special evening when you get a new game and put it in your console. No joke, it really feels awesome. getting Elden Ring day earlier on ps5 was a highlight of last year for me. All the goodies too!

Digital for me. I wouldn't mind going physical but I feel like deals on games have sucked compared to the past, at least for game launches. Need someone to come out with a new best buy gamer club type of subscription or something.

jaysius

Banned
Almost 100% digital, unless there a sale in a store that beats digital which is almost impossible. I also hate to hear a disc spinning for no reason.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My comments in red. Rest, I agree

Combining the Game Pass Ultimate 3-year trick, Microsoft Rewards gaining me $25/month, and buying deeply discounted gift cards at 30% off or more, I've played more games and paid less money than I ever have in my 30 years of gaming. Digital is unquestionably cheaper for me.

As for getting hacked/banned/PSN dying, with these modern consoles being hacked/banned/PSN issues are going to affect you just the same whether you own a physical game or a digital game, outside of I guess being able to play your physical games on a new account if you somehow lost your main account.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm past the point of displaying some game on a shelf. Prefer digital although I recognize those who go physical.

angrod14

Going digital really made my purchases more intentional. It has been great for my wallet. I'm always thinking very well what I'm going to purchase next, since it's going to get tied to my account forever and won't be resellable, and I'm always waiting for a sale so I rarely pay full price. With physical I was kind of reckless, and got tired of getting lowballed in the second-hand market when selling my games. Now I just prefer to keep them and they better not take any physical space.

My only exception is Nintendo games. I'm all physical there. The presentation it's just beautiful, the games actually run from the cartriges and there's something retro about using them that I just love.

RaZoR No1

99% Digital for the following reasons:
-Gamesharing (no need to buy the gane twice so I can play with my wife)
-No need to change the discs, when I want to change the game (lazyness +100)
- often cheaper thanks to cheaper codes / different stores / currencies)
- Does take alot of space
I rarely buy Discs anymore.
Exceptions are:
-Disc Only games (looking at you Armored Core 4 and For Answer X360 Versions...)
- Special/Collectors Editon with awesome content
- Disc is exceptional cheap

I still went With XSX and PS5 Disc version, because having options, although I am 99% using digital games, is better than beeig forced to buy digital only.

Btw: Do/did we have any Disc exclusive games since Xbox One / PS4?
Afaik PS3 and Xbox 360 were the last generations with exclusive Disc games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
rofif rofif i don't know about PSN but in the entire history of Steam there's never been a major account breach or hack. Valve's security is really really fucking good, the only way you can get hacked is if you let someone do it to you, which isn't much different from someone trying to goad you into letting them in your house to see your physical game collection.

I feel my games are safe with steam

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofif rofif i don't know about PSN but in the entire history of Steam there's never been a major account breach or hack. Valve's security is really really fucking good, the only way you can get hacked is if you let someone do it to you, which isn't much different from someone trying to goad you into letting them in your house to see your physical game collection.

I feel my games are safe with steam
Yeah steam is fine. There was a time I was getting daily india and china login attempts lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
Forgot to add, the only time I buy physical is on the rare occasion I want a game that’s only available in Japan but not the U.S.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I actually love the feeling of holding a physical disk in my hand, but I'm an impatient fuck and would rather have the game instantly. Not to mention there's not many places near me with many physical games and I can't drive either. I'd likely have more physical if it weren't for those 2 factors

Still buying physics mainly for collection purpose. Gotta admit digital is way more convenient and nowadays games usually get deeper discount digitally. But hey I just bought a new shelf and I need to fill it.

Midn1ght

It depends I guess.

If I was a console only player on a budget and didn't care about collecting, I'd probably go physical. You can get 70$ games second hand for 40$ a couple weeks after release and sell them back when you're done with it. It's probably one of the cheapest way to play tons of new releases on consoles (other than Gamepass I guess).

I've been almost exclusively on PC for over 10 years so digital it is for me but I recently started collecting physical games again but I'm wondering if I should continue or not. The thrill of the hunt for physical retro games is probably more fun to me than actually filling the room with hundreds of games I'll probably never play. Prices have also skyrocketed in recent years which attracted tons of new resellers and made it harder to actually find good deal in the wild. When you add to that all the Limited Run and Super Rare Games being scalped and ending up overpriced on Ebay, I'm just not sure if collecting physical is for me anymore. It also feels like collecting recent games has become redundant since you almost always need patches and updates to play the good version of the game.

When it comes to digital, I have enough trust in Valve and Steam to keep my library safe and sound, there's people with 19 years old account out there who still have access to every games they bought. Valve keys being purchasable on different store front is also good for price and competition. And if somehow Valve decided to remove access to my library for no other reason than "You didn't really bought those games, cuz!", I would pirate the one I want to play and paid for and not feel an iota of shame about it.

Last edited:
Games I don’t really care about but need to waste time I do only digital and free from Gamepass - I consider these games similar to how I consider Netflix shows - necessary abundant trash. Games I care about and actually excited about I’ll buy physical no matter what for collection purposes (and may even buy digital down the line for convenience).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It depends I guess.

If I was a console only player on a budget and didn't care about collecting, I'd probably go physical. You can get 70$ games second hand for 40$ a couple weeks after release and sell them back when you're done with it. It's probably one of the cheapest way to play tons of new releases on consoles (other than Gamepass I guess).

I've been almost exclusively on PC for over 10 years so digital it is for me but I recently started collecting physical games again but I'm wondering if I should continue or not. The thrill of the hunt for physical retro games is probably more fun to me than actually filling the room with hundreds of games I'll probably never play. Prices have also skyrocketed in recent years which attracted tons of new resellers and made it harder to actually find good deal in the wild. When you add to that all the Limited Run and Super Rare Games being scalped and ending up overpriced on Ebay, I'm just not sure if collecting physical is for me anymore. It also feels like collecting recent games has become redundant since you almost always need patches and updates to play the good version of the game.

When it comes to digital, I have enough trust in Valve and Steam to keep my library safe and sound, there's people with 19 years old account out there who still have access to every games they bought. Valve keys being purchasable on different store front is also good for price and competition. And if somehow Valve decided to remove access to my library for no other reason than "You didn't really bought those games, cuz!", I would pirate the one I want to play and paid for and not feel an iota of shame about it.
For me, I only buy and keep physical games that I actually would see myself replay or that I think are major games.
On the contrary, my steam library is 600 games strong but I wouldn't put even half of it on my shelf is I could.

What about your highlighted stance? Go physical if you care less for collecting?

Midn1ght

For me, I only buy and keep physical games that I actually would see myself replay or that I think are major games.
On the contrary, my steam library is 600 games strong but I wouldn't put even half of it on my shelf is I could.

What about your highlighted stance? Go physical if you care less for collecting?
I specified "if I was a console only gamer and on a budget". One of the best thing about physical is the ability to buy second hand and resell your games. If you're a collector, you're obviously not gonna resell most of them.

Edit: Obviously Gamepass and PS Plus also work if you want to play tons of games for cheap.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
hmmm that's a cool way to think about it. I do get extremely excited to unpack new game, smell the disc, rub it on my cheeks and so on.
It really is a special evening when you get a new game and put it in your console. No joke, it really feels awesome. getting Elden Ring day earlier on ps5 was a highlight of last year for me. All the goodies too!
Haha yeah, exactly the same for me. Love reading the back of the case while the game is installing. :)

WoJ

I'm old school so physical on consoles as much as possible. I will buy games digitally when they are dirt cheap.

MrFortyFive

Physical unless it's prohibitively expensive or the digital version is exceptionally cheap. I like to be able to sell, and lend/trade my games, but I also have a hard time letting go of "owning" my games in a more real sense.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kind of a weird arc for me - I was all physical on consoles until 2018, and then I went 100% digital. Sold almost all of the physical copies I had. That was a mistake - I've started going physical again, and I'm rebuying the stuff that I sold. I realize that we're in an era where games ship non-functional, but that's mostly just true of the Western AAA space, which I have no interest in or would just end up playing on PC anyway. For everything I actually do play on consoles, it's really no different than it was during the 360/PS3 era, and I never would've considered going digital then unless I was forced to. A couple of patches here and there is something I'm comfortable living with.

At the end of the day, I like owning my stuff and having it work on whatever console or account I happen to be on. I do not like having my stuff locked to an account that's out of my control. The fact that I got locked out of my eshop account because of Google Authenticator's bullshit probably doesn't help matters, either. And frankly, I do like having a collection of games on my shelf. A lot of people talk about how freeing it was to sell off their physical games. I didn't feel liberated in the slightest and ended up regretting it.

As far as PC goes... obviously, digital-only there. I don't exactly have a choice. Though I do absolutely prefer to buy a game on GOG or whatever DRM-free platform if I can. Again, why be beholden to a company's account system?

Kuranghi

Physical due to price difference and ability to loan it to others (and a lesser extent sell it if its shite/not replayable), the annoying thing with PS5 is the unnecessarily long disc spin up (as a piracy check I presume?) when you start the system, run the game or just randomly.

I can live the above but I often buy PS4 copies to save a bit of money (or when theres no PS5 version initially) and after installing the PS5 version it tries to install the PS4 version alongside the PS5 version is fucking annoying. It at least doesn't start auto installing it these days, but I think I've had to delete Horizon FW's PS5 tile about 20 times at this point, they really should add an option to ignore the PS4 version when you already have PS5 sku installed, make it possible of course, for edge cases like PSVR1 support, but needs to be done manually.

I'd like to start getting physical versions of all the "physical vs. digital" threads that are made, I'll have to hire a full-time postman just for my address first though.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kind of a weird arc for me - I was all physical on consoles until 2018, and then I went 100% digital. Sold almost all of the physical copies I had. That was a mistake - I've started going physical again, and I'm rebuying the stuff that I sold. I realize that we're in an era where games ship non-functional, but that's mostly just true of the Western AAA space, which I have no interest in or would just end up playing on PC anyway. For everything I actually do play on consoles, it's really no different than it was during the 360/PS3 era, and I never would've considered going digital then unless I was forced to. A couple of patches here and there is something I'm comfortable living with.

At the end of the day, I like owning my stuff and having it work on whatever console or account I happen to be on. I do not like having my stuff locked to an account that's out of my control. The fact that I got locked out of my eshop account because of Google Authenticator's bullshit probably doesn't help matters, either. And frankly, I do like having a collection of games on my shelf. A lot of people talk about how freeing it was to sell off their physical games. I didn't feel liberated in the slightest and ended up regretting it.

As far as PC goes... obviously, digital-only there. I don't exactly have a choice. Though I do absolutely prefer to buy a game on GOG or whatever DRM-free platform if I can. Again, why be beholden to a company's account system?
I like what you are saying. The bolded part is probably what's sort of important to me.
So why did you regret going digital? What have you felt that made you return to physical?

As for the fact that physical games are shipping unfinished. Yes, it is true but these discs are still mostly fully playable.
It would be amazing if there was ability to download patches to separate storage but as of now, you can install games that are important to you and keep em patched.

Hohenheim

My answer would be "I buy limited editions, collectors editions and stuff like that to keep sealed in the collection and digital for the games I actually play"

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like what you are saying. The bolded part is probably what's sort of important to me.
So why did you regret going digital? What have you felt that made you return to physical?

As for the fact that physical games are shipping unfinished. Yes, it is true but these discs are still mostly fully playable.
It would be amazing if there was ability to download patches to separate storage but as of now, you can install games that are important to you and keep em patched.
The regret around going digital was mostly around losing access to my eshop account through no fault of my own and, realizing that it was a pain to share games between multiple systems/people. And then you see the eshops shutting down for 3DS and WiiU, and you start to realize what a pain in the ass it's going to be to make sure that stuff works down the road. I play a lot of older games, and these downloadable games feel waaaay too ephemeral by comparison. I don't expect to be able to play them in the future in any legitimate fashion.

And really, getting a physical copy is just more fun for me at some superficial level.

dcx4610

I'm a diehard physical movie collector. Why? Because it's still the best quality you can get, comes with special features, lossless audio and it actually plays from the disc.

With games though, I'm fully digital. Why? They serve no purpose other than to shelf collect. Since PS4/Xbox, buying physical has been pretty worthless. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just an installation/delivery system/license key and even then, you usually have to download patches since it's an older build. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just something to sit on a shelf or use as a key when you want to play the game. As much as it pains me, there's just zero point to physical games now unless you just like to collect things.

Now older systems, that's a different story. NES, SNES, TG16, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, etc. You CAN play those games off cart/disc and many of those games are best played with original hardware. Personally, I prefer flash carts when all possible but I can totally see why someone would want to play the originals for those systems. PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X? Basically pointless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom