• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pimped out my PS5!

Mr Hyde

Grew tired of the black and white colors of the PS5 so I decided to change the entire look of it.

EBfDMaS.jpg

When PS5 first released, I thought the black and white color was a pretty nice change from the default black color we always got on consoles. But when I bought a Switch OLED and ROG Ally, everything just felt too much white. And I gotta say, the PS5 looks so much better in all black. I also put a new stand on it, which is much sturdier and easy to apply. No screws needed at all. It also produce this cool looking blue light when you turn it on.

UD9jwbM.jpg

The last thing I did, was to put the PS2 reminiscent sticker on it. I thought that would be a cool call back to a long lost generation that all Playstation fans remember fondly. It certainly fits the look of the console.

What do you think? Is this how Sony should've released the PS5? Or do you still appreciate the original black and white aesthetic?

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Can't stand this stupid douchefag font they've been using since the 'ps3' rebranding.

This is already a massive improvement with the PS2 font and color. They also need to design the console to be monolithic like the PS2 was.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

the lights make it look gash mate, unplug that shit and just use it as a stand.

The blue light got somewhat much brighter on the pic, it's much more subtle than that irl. Looks quite nice I think. But I probably will unplug it at some point. It takes up a USB slot so when I'm in the need for another external hdd I will just use it as a stand.

I don't like it. I like the black colour but I wouldn't put the PS2 logo on it (yea I know it says PS5). Also the blue leds make it look cheap. But hey if you're happy with it then good :) that's all that matters!

StereoVsn

Looks pretty darn good. That PS1 grey mentioned above would be even better.

Where are folks getting the plates? I know Sony makes some official ones but there are also dbrand offerings and some cheaper stuff on Amazon.

Edit: PS5 logo in PS2 font does look great as well. Is that a separate sticker or etched on the plate?

Edit 2: It's right there in the OP, lol. Amazon?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I don't like it. I like the black colour but I wouldn't put the PS2 logo on it (yea I know it says PS5). Also the blue leds make it look cheap. But hey if you're happy with it then good :) that's all that matters!

No worries, mate. Some people like it, some people don't. That's just the way the cookie crumble. But that's the great thing about PS5, the level of customization you can do. Everyone can swap parts and make it just the way they want it. I hope this trend continues in subsequent gens 🙂

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Looks good. Definitely not something that I'd would do but I can appreciate the effort. If you ever thinking about V2, I think a slightly thinner lines for PS5 logo would look better.

Sethbacca

Very nice, I got the DBrand clear retro orange darkplates a few weeks ago, shit looks incredible.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Looks pretty darn good. That PS1 grey mentioned above would be even better.

Where are folks getting the plates? I know Sony makes some official ones but there are also dbrand offerings and some cheaper stuff on Amazon.

Edit: PS5 logo in PS2 font does look great as well. Is that a separate sticker or etched on the plate?

Edit 2: It's right there in the OP, lol. Amazon?

I bought the plates from a third party company on Amazon. I didn't want to buy from Sony because I think they are way overpriced and I don't want to support their scummy practices.

The PS5 sticker I got from Etsy. I think it ships all over the world if you want some.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I bought the plates from a third party company on Amazon. I didn't want to buy from Sony because I think they are way overpriced and I don't want to support their scummy practices.

The PS5 sticker I got from Etsy. I think it ships all over the world if you want some.

Thanks! That sticker looks great.

For the panels I am thinking DBrand for that grey. Or I found a wood panel covers on Amazon, lol.

gray_retro-gray_.jpg

71TpGEw1yjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edit: Both Woodgrain and Dbrand are a bit pricey but that look is great. Only thing stopping me is the though that I am most likely going to snag a Pro next Fall 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom