• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

I disagree on Solange's album being better than Beyonce's. It's just not true. Her voice is way too quiet and soft which makes it very hard to listen to her. Her album is still my #2 though.

I agree with you, despite enjoying the Solange album I found the Beyoncé album to better. The Solange album did help to hype up whatever Dirty Projectors do next though. Some of the instrumentals sound dead on like she had been spending the last few years singing along to Amber Coffman.

How many acclaimed indie rock albums released this year though? I dont really think Pitchfork has changed much this year vs others moreso than that the output for indie music this year just hasnt been as good as years prior.

Pitchforks shift to cover more R&B/hip hop releases was over 6 years ago.

There are actually quite a few, but they are much more "Indie" than Pitchfork seems to cover. Same goes for Rap. I am sure there were some amazing Rap/R&B albums that are better than Rihanna/Kanye but they are too "indie" to be covered by Pitchfork.

Also not so much "Indie Rock" like the early 2000's but Indie-Pop / Indie-R&B albums. Genres really blend together now.

Dabanton

I really wish they wouldn't number them. Just makes these things about placement over actual music. Saying that it's a solid list, pretty much listened to everything . I especially got into Mitski through a recommendation here on Gaf

it's pretty crazy how most of these end of year lists pretty much all have the same shit in the top 10-20. seriously no diversity at all. makes it seem like a huge sham. music is so subjective that i have a seriously hard time believing these picks are sincere. whatever though, i don't care too much about it, just seems pretty fishy.

the end of the year lists is the time when music criticism becomes one big bandwagon and pitchfork is always leading it. Even if they publish their list fairly late, those who got a big pitchfork push during the year are those who scores high on the other sites' lists. The somewhat decent diversity during the year gets flooded by the seemingly irresistible necessity to be attuned with the times, meaning what pitchfork head writers think it's "important".

hydruxo

TLOP is the only Kanye album I've barely revisited since the first couple weeks it came out. It's just nothing special.

pablito

My opinion about their opinion

Solange was good but not #1

Move Tribe and Danny up the list, Kanye and Chance down the list.
Kanye way down.

Can't remember how P4K feels about metal, but I thought I'd see at least Terminal Redux on there. I have a few metal albums above it but people were pretty positive on it iirc.

Frank's album was boring :( I've been waiting a while for a relisten though, so maybe I'll be of a different mind about it when I try it again.

Apparently I really need to listen to Lemonade. It's been consistently high on almost every list I've seen. Not a huge Bey fan though.

number11

I listened to the Solange album once when it released and couldn't get into it. This week i've been listening to it non stop.. I finally understand the hype.

Kurdel

Banned
I look forward to this list every year because I can catch up wih what I missed.

Gonna listen to Solange, it sounds like an amazing album.

Quikies83

Ouch.. no Alcest or Meshuggah...
They cover metal pretty good though out the year.. not a single metal album there is bizarre.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I can see where they are coming from with Kanye, I mean it's my third rated album this year.

5/5: Ultra Light Beam, Famous, Real Friends, Wolves
Bonus Tracks: No Parties in LA, Saint Pablo

4/5: Pt. 1, Pt. 2, FML, Waves
Bonus Tracks: Facts, Fade

3/5: Feedback, Highlights, Freestyle 4
Bonus Tracks: 30 Hours

45/55 = 81/100
& With Bonus Tracks: 66/80 = 82.5/100

Bronx-Man

Banned
If you guys are suddenly too hip for Pitchfork, you can always try out Tiny Mix Tapes. They got some good reviews and editorials on underground stuff.

gdt

I can see where they are coming from with Kanye, I mean it's my third rated album this year.

5/5: Ultra Light Beam, Famous, Real Friends, Wolves
Bonus Tracks: No Parties in LA, Saint Pablo

4/5: Pt. 1, Pt. 2, FML, Waves
Bonus Tracks: Facts, Fade

3/5: Feedback, Highlights, Freestyle 4
Bonus Tracks: 30 Hours

45/55 = 81/100
& With Bonus Tracks: 66/80 = 82.5/100

Uhhhh....this is too clinical man. Just dig shit or don't imo

Blueingreen

Check out the full list here. The top 20:

20. Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
19. Rihanna - ANTI
18. Mitski - Puberty 2
17. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
16. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
15. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
14. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
13. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
12. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
11. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
10. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
9. Angel Olsen - My Woman
8. ANOHNI - Hopelessness
7. A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
6. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
5. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
3. Beyoncé - Lemonade
2. Frank Ocean - Blonde

1. Solange - A Seat at the Table

So Rap, RnB, and records by 50+ year old rock stars....wheres the variety ?

Why is Untitled Unmastered on this list let alone the top 20? it's an inconsistent scrap collection of half baked TBAP B-Sides theres a reason why they were left out the album, these indie blogs seriously need to stop brown nosing Kendrick Lamar.

Servbot24

Banned
Radiohead m8

I thought Converge was on the verge as well but the last album was 2012 :(

There was also a time I thought Animal Collective might be this but that didn't pan out

But yeah anyways, Kanye and Radiohead are on an extreme level of consistent quality in the music world that most artists don't even dream about reaching

It's funny to me just how obvious pitchfork's pandering is. I mean they always have been a buzz site that just jumps on whatever is hot, but seriously.

Hipster Runoff tried to warn y'all

The Life of Pablo beating A Moon Shaped Pool is just hilarious FOMO nonsense, and at this point I don't even know what Frank Ocean has to do to get the recognition he deserves as an artist, because Blonde is fucking perfect. They are turning into a joke with their pop fetish at this point. With all the amazing work being done by independent artists, we don't need Pitchfork telling us to check out fucking Beyonce.

LionPride

Banned
So Rap, RnB, and records by 50+ year old rock stars....wheres the variety ?

Why is Untitled Unmastered on this list let alone the top 20? it's an inconsistent scrap collection of half baked TBAP B-Sides theres a reason why they were left out the album, these indie blogs seriously need to stop brown nosing Kendrick Lamar.

1. Pitchfork an indie blog in 2016? Okay

2. untitled.unmastered was a better album than a lot of albums this year and it was songs he didn't put on his masterpiece of an album. It's amazing from 1-8

WaffleTaco

you rated it thus not objective

boom

That doesn't make any sense at all. Reviews and ratings are based on feeling, subjectivity is the great part of it.

It can't possibly be objective.
Again as objective as possible and you can rate an album highly, but still not like it. I dislike personally both Solange's and David Bowie's album, but I rated them high because they are both objectively good, as they fit certain criteria in my analysis.

Again as objective as possible and you can rate an album highly, but still not like it. I dislike personally both Solange's and David Bowie's album, but I rated them high because they are both objectively good, as they fit certain criteria in my analysis.

There's no such thing as objectivity in art. It's an absurd game to try and play.

WaffleTaco

The Life of Pablo beating A Moon Shaped Pool is just hilarious FOMO nonsense, and at this point I don't even know what Frank Ocean has to do to get the recognition he deserves as an artist, because Blonde is fucking perfect. They are turning into a joke with their pop fetish at this point. With all the amazing work being done by independent artists, we don't need Pitchfork telling us to check out fucking Beyonce.
A Moon Shaped Pool has great instrumentals and that's about it. The singer distracts from the entire album and brings it down because you barely understand him due to mumbling. And Pitchfork is not telling you to check out Beyoncé, they are saying what is considered to be one of their best albums. Also Frank Ocean is Pop and Pop is good music.

1. Pitchfork an indie blog in 2016? Okay

2. untitled.unmastered was a better album than a lot of albums this year and it was songs he didn't put on his masterpiece of an album. It's amazing from 1-8
untitled.unmastered is not an even an album, but a collection of freestyles. It's not fun to listen to.

There's no such thing as objectivity in art. It's an absurd game to try and play.
I believe there is. Does the music/instruments/production sound good or is it annoying/terrible? How is the singers voice? Do the verses and chorus go well together? Do the lyrics make any sense? Does it flow well, meaning there aren't weird pauses, do the transitions make sense? There are plenty of things you can rate an a song for and an album.

LionPride

Banned

1. Blonde was their number 2 album. Not 12, not 20, not 42, TWO I'd say that's recognition.

2. Lemonade was a good album, they ain't saying check out Beyonce, they're saying "Hey this album was fucking good"

3. Frank is pop my guy yeezyshrug.jpg

untitled.unmastered is not an even an album, but a collection of freestyles. It's not fun to listen to.
That's your very false opinion.

Servbot24

Banned

I actually have a weird balance of this too, it's totally a gut thing, but there are a few albums on my list I only cared to listen to a couple times that I rated very highly, and a couple that I listened to a ton (including AMSP) that didn't rate as highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom