• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepo

Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol

Ouch.. no Alcest or Meshuggah...
They cover metal pretty good though out the year.. not a single metal album there is bizarre.

outside of crossover bands, pitchfork has never given a shit about metal in the year end lists. however they do have a healthy rotation of amazing contributors who specialize in writing reviews for specific genres that the main staff has absolutely no clue about. i also don't think they can cast votes for the year end lists and if they were able to, there simply isn't enough of them for their votes to even matter. it's not like they can get enough staff votes to stamp a metal album with best new music

however, as of late pitchfork has been publishing genre specific top 20 lists in what seems like an attempt to make up for the fact that they've become more heavily in favor of pop music. i know for a fact that for the past several years there has been a metal year-end list but i can't seem to find one specifically for 2016. my guess is that it'll be published closer to new years since their main readers simply don't give a shit

A Moon Shaped Pool has great instrumentals and that's about it.
You: 0. Truth: 1

The singer distracts from the entire album and brings it down because you barely understand him due to mumbling.
You: 0. Truth: 2

And Pitchfork is not telling you to check out Beyoncé, they are saying what is considered to be one of their best albums.
You: 0. Truth: 2. People who know what the purpose of music review sites are: 1.

Also Frank Ocean is Pop
You: 0. Truth: 3. People who know what the purpose of music review sites are: 1.

and Pop is good music.
You: 0. Truth: 4. People who know what the purposes of music review sites are: 1.

Blueingreen

1. Pitchfork an indie blog in 2016? Okay

2. untitled.unmastered was a better album than a lot of albums this year and it was songs he didn't put on his masterpiece of an album. It's amazing from 1-8

This is your very false opinion the album was a total bore, the songs were mostly aimless and redudant which makes sense because it's essentialy an artists sketch book, I mean it's great if you're a die hard admierer of said artist paintings, but if not it really doesn't do much for you. That and the prouction was really really bad which again makes sense because it's a scrap collection of B-sides.

The album makes me wish I was listening to TPAB instead (which isn't saying much because I didn't think that album was all too hot either) A good album isn't supposed to make you wish you were listening to a better album.

Servbot24

Banned
You: 0. Truth: 3. People who know what the purpose of music review sites are: 1.

You: 0. Truth: 4. People who know what the purposes of music review sites are: 1.

Huh? Are you saying that Frank Ocean is not pop music? And that pop music is bad? I don't want to assume you're saying something that absurd, but from your phrasing it looks like it/

Huh? Are you saying that Frank Ocean is not pop music? And that pop music is bad? I don't want to assume you're saying something that absurd, but from your phrasing it looks like it/

Frank Ocean is contemporary R&B, "hipster R&B", minimalist R&B, mayyyybe "psychedelic pop" - but "pop" (as in the genre of Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, and Beyonce) would be a pretty laughable description, and yes pop music is trash.

Servbot24

Banned
Frank Ocean is contemporary R&B, "hipster R&B", minimalist R&B, mayyyybe "psychedelic pop" - but "pop" (as in the genre of Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, and Beyonce) would be a pretty laughable description, and yes pop music is trash.

This is one of those times where an opinion is so bizarre and so wildly wrong that I don't even know how to respond to it.

The genre part doesn't really matter, genre sucks anyways. But grouping Beyonce, Swift and Minaj together.... UGHHHH

Swift is better than the majority of Pitchfork's list

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
RnB is a subsection of Pop. And if you really think Pop music is trash you better back up your statement.

This is one of those times where an opinion is so bizarre and so wildly wrong that I don't even know how to respond to it.

Ah well, doesn't really matter. Genre is dumb anyways.

Which part is wrong? Where I listed the genres that literally every artist profile for Frank Ocean use, especially for the album in question, or the part where I dismiss the artistic value of industry-manufactured pop music products, which I don't think anyone really needs to defend in order to enjoy pop in the first place?

Like, yes, pop is trash. So is McDonald's, but I eat it once in awhile. But it's manufactured trash. Nothing wrong with enjoying it, just don't call it fine dining, like Pitchfork.

RnB is a subsection of Pop. And if you really think Pop music is trash you better back up your statement.
In what universe other than a Tower Records CD bin from last century is "RnB a subsection of pop?" Please.

Sorry dude, but the concept of genres doesn't really exist anymore nor does it make sense anymore. We're living in an era of music where everything is mixed together and its getting more and more difficult to put a label on it, which is great for everyone except business men/record labels, marketers, and people who like putting other people in boxes.

Sorry dude, but the concept of genres doesn't really exist anymore nor does it make sense anymore. We're living in an era of music where everything is mixed together and its getting more and more difficult to put a label on it, which is great for everyone except business men/record labels, marketers, and people who like putting other people in boxes.

Sorry dude, but yeah they do, that's why they're in every catalog listing, music article tag, music app, recommendation algorithm, and music-related wikipedia article. The only thing "harder to put a label on" has achieved is the creation of micro-genres and one-to-many artist-to-genre associations.

WaffleTaco

Which part is wrong? Where I listed the genres that literally every artist profile for Frank Ocean use, especially for the album in question, or the part where I dismiss the artistic value of industry-manufactured pop music products, which I don't think anyone really needs to defend in order to enjoy pop in the first place?

Like, yes, pop is trash. So is McDonald's, but I eat it once in awhile. But it's manufactured trash. Nothing wrong with enjoying it, just don't call it fine dining, like Pitchfork.
All music is "manufactured." Unless your going to local acts and those acts making it in a garage music is made and not recorded in a studio than you can call it "organic." And "organic" does not mean better. In this analogy if someone is using a high rated vocalist and a high rated producer than most likely they are going to make a high quality product.

Servbot24

Banned

I'll grant you pop has a range of definitions, but since you think Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj are the same thing I'm guessing you're going by a very standardized definition of pop. Which Frank Ocean definitely fits into. Frank is R&B like Taylor Swift is Country. He has nothing that is even on the same planet as "psychadelic", no idea where you got that from.

As to the merit of pop music... I am shocked and dismayed that it needs to be defended. It is not McDonalds. Ok, Nicki Minaj is. But Beyonce and Taylor Swift have absolutely nothing to do with Minaj, and are both on a very high pedestal in terms of artists and mastery of the craft. Not to mention a bevy of other brilliant pop artists such as Carly Rae Jepsen, Tove Styrke, The Knife, Ke$ha, Grimes, etc, etc, who are consistently exhibiting creativity and song craft at a very high level.

All music is "manufactured."
I'm not about to get into a semantic argument with you about a word. No, music is not all "manufactured." The vast majority of artists write and perform their own material drawing from diverse influences with professional guidance relegated to production values, and that's all. It's a different world for major labels' flagship pop artists -- it's like a first party publisher coaxing a studio into making the game they want. The relationship between pop artists and their label's publishing and songwriting teams is absolutely symbiotic. There are great articles about this if you're interested in something besides trying to be reductive about how all human effort can arguably be described as "manufacturing."

they make flagship music?

Absolutely -- most music bombs, and labels make their money on the big names to finance their risk-taking and development. Pretty much all entertainment formats have big names that fund the new stuff like that. That's why I don't begrudge anyone their right to love or listen to pop - it all helps the effort of making music. I've even gone to bat for Adele on this very forum even though I hate pop generally.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
weird how pitchfork has become shorthand for fringe hipster music, but then they put out a top 50 better suited to a corporate charity fundraiser spotify playlist. nothing that'll put people off their dry white and vol-au-vents.

the album of the year is oathbreaker - rheia. btw.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not about to get into a semantic argument with you about a word. No, music is not all "manufactured." The vast majority of artists write and perform their own material drawing from diverse influences with professional guidance relegated to production values, and that's all. It's a different world for major labels' flagship pop artists -- it's like a first party publisher coaxing a studio into making the game they want. The relationship between pop artists and their label's publishing and songwriting teams is absolutely symbiotic. There are great articles about this if you're interested in something besides trying to be reductive about how all human effort can arguably be described as "manufacturing."

Why does any of this matter? What does this have to do with music being good or not?

WaffleTaco

Well first of all you used the word manufacture not me, and I used it in the same context you did. Second of all you are be reductive by trying to say that all Pop music is simply the label and not the artist when that is not necessarily true. This does happen, but not to every artist, and not to every song. And also if you don't think labels are tweaking non-Pop music than you are sorely mistaken. Unless you are specifically listening to Artists not signed by a label than you are having their influence in some form because the primary function of a label is to make a profit.

weird how pitchfork has become shorthand for fringe hipster music, but then they put out a top 50 better suited to a corporate charity fundraiser spotify playlist. nothing that'll put people off their dry white and vol-au-vents.

That's a god damn fine choice

Sorry dude, but yeah they do, that's why they're in every catalog listing, music article tag, music app, recommendation algorithm, and music-related wikipedia article. The only thing "harder to put a label on" has achieved is the creation of micro-genres and one-to-many artist-to-genre associations.

I didn't mean that in a completely literal sense, but yeah, talk to or read any interview with any influential artist in the music industry and they'll tell you the same thing, that being put in a box and limiting yourself to genres only limits your creativity as an artist. Genre's exist literally, sure, but do they make sense anymore? I think thats up for debate. Its just a way to limit people to exposure of different kinds of music and keep them closed minded.

The bold part above btw is a strong argument for why the use of genres don't make sense anymore, because this is the direction that literally all of music in general is taking whether or not anyone likes it.

RDreamer

Yeah, it is kind of weird seeing what Pitchfork has become. Did they all get older and bored of discovering different shit or something?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Not a single metal album on the list. Not that these aren't 50 great albums, but lol
Yeah I've listened to basically zero of this list. But that's cool, it's clearly not aimed at someone like me.

I will never listen to a Beyonce album, and if that's number 1 on a list I can safely assume I'm not the target demographic.

Onemic

Yeah, it is kind of weird seeing what Pitchfork has become. Did they all get older and bored of discovering different shit or something?

Did you really expect them to put a bunch of albums that no one has ever heard outside a few thousand in the top 10? Pitchfork has never done this.

subrosa - for this we fought the battle of ages is probably my number 1 but oathbreaker is a close, close second

I liked Subrosas last album. How does the latest stack up?

LionPride

Banned
This is your very false opinion the album was a total bore, the songs were mostly aimless and redudant which makes sense because it's essentialy an artists sketch book, I mean it's great if you're a die hard admierer of said artist paintings, but if not it really doesn't do much for you. That and the prouction was really really bad which again makes sense because it's a scrap collection of B-sides.

The album makes me wish I was listening to TPAB instead (which isn't saying much because I didn't think that album was all too hot either) A good album isn't supposed to make you wish you were listening to a better album.

That's you my guy, I loved absolutely loved untitled.unmastered. I'm also a giant K.Dot fan so...

Also, to whoever said Swift is better than this list....leave begone

teepo

i found about this band just the other day due to all the polarizing opinions among metal fans. it's almost too perfect of a choice given the thread...

and even with just one listen, it's already in my top ten. metal needs more female vocalists

RDreamer

Did you really expect them to put a bunch of albums that no one has ever heard outside a few thousand in the top 10? Pitchfork has never done this.

Well, sure they've never put out the most obscure of obscure, but back when I looked at Pitchfork a bit more than now they sure as hell weren't putting up shit of Beyonce's popularity. I mean there's a gulf of music between "albums no one has ever heard of" and "Kanye West"

Tall4Life

Well, sure they've never put out the most obscure of obscure, but back when I looked at Pitchfork a bit more than now they sure as hell weren't putting up shit of Beyonce's popularity. I mean there's a gulf of music between "albums no one has ever heard of" and "Kanye West"
I mean, the music industry has also changed from a decade ago. It's more album-focused now, which means artists are more interested in putting together a good album. You still have your singles pop stars but albums are becoming more important for mainstream artists again.

teepo

somehow i've avoided listening to subrosa up until now. really good shit though seems incredibly dense and draining, and i mean that as a positive . i'm going to need to really sit down to digest the entire album

while not exactly metal, esben and the witch's new record is quickly becoming one of my favs for the year. it's their heaviest work yet with the best way of describing their sound, especially the last two records, is imagine how slint would've evolved had they let pj harvey join the band after spiderland. the prior record is a fav of mine that is still heavily in rotation. this one is a little more challenging to listen to for the same reasons as subrosa, it's emotionally draining,

Views is fucking trash.
This opinion is gar bage tbh. He made a simp classic on take care, was perfectly cohesive on NWTS, made a perfecto trap album on IYRTITL and then doubled down and went back to what makes Drizzy him. Views already a classic is a bit too far, but it deserves praise for sure

Tall4Life

All fine artists and fine albums but we need new blood. Newest of those bands is over 20 years old.
You say that as if they've been making the same music for 20 years. Especially with Radiohead, their success and longevity can be attributed to how much they've been willing to try new things and fucking nail it almost every time. It's not their fault that they're doing their own shit while other new artists might just follow current trends and fade away once something else comes on the scene.

LionPride

Banned
This opinion is gar bage tbh. He made a simp classic on take care, was perfectly cohesive on NWTS, made a perfecto trap album on IYRTITL and then doubled down and went back to what makes Drizzy him. Views already a classic is a bit too far, but it deserves praise for sure

No it doesn't. It is his worst album, arguably a worse album than FHD (which is pretty not good) and has no good songs. The most entertaining song is Grammys and hint it ain't cause of Aubrey.

Also, The Weeknd gave Drake some songs for Take Care, I feel like that's why that album is actually good.

Onemic

I mean Beyonces album is critically acclaimed by pretty much everyone. Them not putting her on there would be even weirder tbh. It's not like Pitchfork has never praised a popular artists music before in years past. They do it all the time, as long as the album itself is worthy of praise. First couple of albums that comes to mind from a decade ago that they praised was Daft Punk's Discovery as well as Jay-Z's Blueprint.

Let me put it this way, if Beyonce's Dangerously in Love came out this year instead of Lemonade, you wouldnt see it touch that list.

Again as objective as possible and you can rate an album highly, but still not like it. I dislike personally both Solange's and David Bowie's album, but I rated them high because they are both objectively good, as they fit certain criteria in my analysis.
I dislike personally both Solange's and David Bowie's album
I dislike personally David Bowie's album
I dislike personally
David Bowie's album

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

see5harp

Uncelestial is the worst dude to have a conversation about music with. Genre tags are so fucking stupid. Don't get him started on Grimes.

pablito

You say that as if they've been making the same music for 20 years. Especially with Radiohead, their success and longevity can be attributed to how much they've been willing to try new things and fucking nail it almost every time. It's not their fault that they're doing their own shit while other new artists might just follow current trends and fade away once something else comes on the scene.

Nah it's just that the defense against "rock is dead" being a few albums released by 20+ year old bands isn't really a good look. Not when other genres have new guys releasing shit people love (even if I don't like it).

So happy that pitchfork has shifted its focus over the last few years towards artists of color. I think an artist of color has won album of the year for 4 of the last 6 years, and they've all been well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom