• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

Needs more lahmacun (turkish pizza)

tumblr_m97yacBpgz1qdr3s3o2_500.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Lahmacun, "meat with dough", is a round, thin piece of dough topped with minced meat (most commonly beef and lamb) and minced vegetables and herbs including onions, tomatoes and parsley, then baked. Lahmacun is often served sprinkled with lemon juice and wrapped around vegetables, including pickles, tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, and roasted eggplant; a typical variants may be found employing kebab meat or sauces.

Sounds interesting and potentially delicious. Is there a sauce of sorts involved. Looks like Pizza to me I wish I could try some. I'll pass on the pickles.

Lahmacun, "meat with dough", is a round, thin piece of dough topped with minced meat (most commonly beef and lamb) and minced vegetables and herbs including onions, tomatoes and parsley, then baked. Lahmacun is often served sprinkled with lemon juice and wrapped around vegetables, including pickles, tomatoes, peppers, onions, lettuce, and roasted eggplant; a typical variants may be found employing kebab meat or sauces.

That description made my mouth water :D

Ellasman

I'm starting to steer away from the ordinary pizza. I'm really liking BBQ Chicken, Pesto Chicken, and my new favorite Butter Chicken

way more

While in Germany I had a gyro where they used that as the bread. It was glorious.

Time for a game changer.
pizza-hut-singapore-double-sensation-pizza.jpg

original.jpg

pizza-hut-singapore-double-sensation-pizza-christmas-feast-deal.jpg

The outer ring is stuffed with melted mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar cheeses which ooze out at intermittent holes in the crust, while the inner ring is filled with chicken sausage with bits of cheese inside.

But that's not all! The inner pizza features smoked chicken and zucchini on an pepper Alfredo sauce and the outer ring is topped with turkey ham, bell peppers, and mushrooms, on a salsa sauce. And, for some odd reason, the pizza is finished with a single cherry in the center...

http://www.brandeating.com/2012/12/...dReviewsFoodNewsAndFoodRecipes+(Brand+Eating)

n0n44m

^^^^^ nice job !

-----------------------

just got my Baking Steel after 23 days of shipping :D weighs a freakin ton ! (that explains the $75 shipping costs...)

I made some dough on Wednesday in the food processor which has been sitting in the fridge since then, so I'm hoping for some spectacular pizza tomorrow night :) :)

(also kinda destroyed the food processor by doing that, so pro tip : don't make dough with a 66% hydration level in a food processor !! or well not in a 20 year old food processor at least )

Does anyone enjoy pizza in which they stuff cheese into the crust or base? I just had one and as usual, it makes a huge mess and it's just a pain to eat.

ElRenoRaven

Does anyone enjoy pizza in which they stuff cheese into the crust or base? I just had one and as usual, it makes a huge mess and it's just a pain to eat.

Hell yes. Stuffed crust pizza is the best pizza. So damn good. In fact I have a frozen Digiorno Stuffed crust in my freezer right now just waiting for that lazy day when I'm craving some pizza.

n0n44m

i was about to get myself one of those... shit.

well I do live in €€€-land ... you too ? the half-inch version would've been $400+ in shipping lol

just made some quick try-out dough to use on the Baking Steel first, so I don't have to sacrifice my 72 hours fridge fermented tippo 00 whatever dough while getting used to a new baking method :p

as for the stuffed crust ... well crust (dough) is pretty much the most important thing for me in a pizza, so I don't think I'll ever make a stuffed crust pie myself :p

btw that sensation thing looks terrifying

Hell yes. Stuffed crust pizza is the best pizza. So damn good. In fact I have a frozen Digiorno Stuffed crust in my freezer right now just waiting for that lazy day when I'm craving some pizza.

Stuffed crust is fine as long as it's stuffed with sausage or something. Liquid cheese gets all over your hand, drips everywhere and just makes a mess of things :p

n0n44m

alright so the Baking Steel ... fantastic ! The crust was beautiful, the browning consistent ... lots of variables left to tweak but I can already say that it's a great tool for pizza enthusiasts

I did have a lot of issues with my dough lol , kinda fucked it up by not paying attention which resulted in large amounts of dough sticking to whatever I was storing it on/in

combined with the fact that I did not get a proper sized pizza peel yet, and thus had to work with the small ones from my previous mini-oven, it meant I could only do some small pies with rather thin crusts (and weird shapes unless I was willing to burn myself)

still everyone commented on how much better the crust was compared to the mini-oven ... much more firm / less soggy yet flavorful

baking times ranged from 5 to 7 minutes, 275C oven ... couldn't get the grill/broiler to activate at those temperatures unfortunately :( once I find a way to do that I'm in Pizza Valhalla ...

unfortunately no time to tweak my baking process until the 31st so that's going to be a long wait lol

So who's having some christmas pizza?

guess my family is too traditional for that :( I do hope to be making some New Year pizza though :p

I know this thread is largely devoted to homemade pizzas, but... Pizza Today (a monthly magazine focusing on the pizza industry/pizza-restaurant owners) released their "Top 100 by gross sales" list of pizza chains last month for 2012.

Here's the list.

So, GAF, how many have you tried personally in your life, and which is your favorite?

I've tried #1-7, #10, #11, #14, #19, #30, #35 and #44 for a grand total of 14 out of the top 100. There's an Old Chicago that opened near me recently, so I'll give it a shot too some day. Monical's is still the best by far in my opinion, as far as non-homemade pizzas go.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've had:

Pizza Hut
Domino's
California Pizza Kitchen
CiCi's (made me sick)
Sbarro
Uno
Bertucci's
Old Chicago
Papa Gino's
Pizzeria Regina

The best, for me, would either be Papa Gino's or Pizzeria Regina, which are both regional chains here in New England. But neither of them would ever be my first choice for pizza — plenty of better options around where I am.

The only one I've had recently was Domino's, during the 50% off promotion, and it was the first time I'd eaten there in years (the pan pizza was very good). I actually had no idea that Pizza Hut was that much more prolific than Domino's — I would've expected Domino's to be #1.

There's a new player in town for the Frozen Pizza Market game that I reckon might actually be able to give Newman's, Amy's, Uno's sort of as it is kept in a cold state of sale just not frozen per se, and Home Run Inn a proper fight----Annie's.

http://www.annies.com/pizza/details

Previously, I had damn good results with their line of organic sauces---particularly their Chipotle BBQ. I grabbed a Pepperoni and the 4 Cheese as pictured above for about $7 each at the local Super Target this week and aim to give the Pepperoni a shot this coming Monday evening---will let the thread know if nobody beats me to it by then.

If nothing else, the thing is going to be a damn sight bigger and more filling than a Newman's!

VanWinkle

alright so the Baking Steel ... fantastic ! The crust was beautiful, the browning consistent ... lots of variables left to tweak but I can already say that it's a great tool for pizza enthusiasts

I did have a lot of issues with my dough lol , kinda f***ed it up by not paying attention which resulted in large amounts of dough sticking to whatever I was storing it on/in

combined with the fact that I did not get a proper sized pizza peel yet, and thus had to work with the small ones from my previous mini-oven, it meant I could only do some small pies with rather thin crusts (and weird shapes unless I was willing to burn myself)

still everyone commented on how much better the crust was compared to the mini-oven ... much more firm / less soggy yet flavorful

baking times ranged from 5 to 7 minutes, 275C oven ... couldn't get the grill/broiler to activate at those temperatures unfortunately :( once I find a way to do that I'm in Pizza Valhalla ...

unfortunately no time to tweak my baking process until the 31st so that's going to be a long wait lol

guess my family is too traditional for that :( I do hope to be making some New Year pizza though :p

Very nice. I've been really interested in the Baking Steel. Have to get a better oven first though because mine poops out and burns up if it even gets to 500. Can't wait to get a new one.

Seth C

I know this thread is largely devoted to homemade pizzas, but... Pizza Today (a monthly magazine focusing on the pizza industry/pizza-restaurant owners) released their "Top 100 by gross sales" list of pizza chains last month for 2012.

Here's the list.

So, GAF, how many have you tried personally in your life, and which is your favorite?

I've tried #1-7, #10, #11, #14, #19, #30, #35 and #44 for a grand total of 14 out of the top 100. There's an Old Chicago that opened near me recently, so I'll give it a shot too some day. Monical's is still the best by far in my opinion, as far as non-homemade pizzas go.

I've had...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 33, 37, 39, 43, 55, 62, and 87 for a grand total of 30 of 100. Pretty good.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Pizza place across my street. They go overboard with the cheese and i love it. I tend to have one once a week.

241979_325989834162022_1125963376_o.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm really not a fan of lots of cheese. Was when I was a kid, not so much now. Some places do it to the point where they may as well not put any sauce on the damn thing.

coldvein

Banned
you guys, i had an amazing pizza last night and it came from DOMINOS. i'm serious. usually i get a large pepperoni where i order from there.. BUT .. yesterday i was with some people and they ordered a pan pizza, with white sauce, chicken, some different types of cheese. it was hot and gooey and awesome. it changed the way i will order dominos pizza forever.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
you guys, i had an amazing pizza last night and it came from DOMINOS. i'm serious. usually i get a large pepperoni where i order from there.. BUT .. yesterday i was with some people and they ordered a pan pizza, with white sauce, chicken, some different types of cheese. it was hot and gooey and awesome. it changed the way i will order dominos pizza forever.
I also had Domino's pan pizza last night. I got a free Shoprunner membership so I wanted to take advantage of the free delivery. They are indeed really good, but I was still burping up the taste of provolone cheese this morning. :|

VanWinkle

Made the best pizza I've ever made in my life today! So I have assumed that the pmain thing preventing my pizza from being the best it could be was the oven, and I assumed correctly. I finally decided to use the oven at my fiancee's house, and I made my own dough for the first time in a while which felt great to get back into. My friends, it was just DELICIOUS. Seriously. Soooo good. I will never make another non pan pizza in my oven again.

jB4vukod0Lxet.jpg

jb0eEgUzsODKJj.jpg

jTHwt7zhoxwvO.jpg

I can't believe I was using frozen pizza dough balls for a while. I just hated using my terrible stand mixer, so when my fiancee got a nice kitchenaid, I was anxious to use it, and it definitely paid off. Let this cold rise in the fridge for two days.

Heel

Can you guys and girls post up your favorite pizza dough recipes? I want to give it a try!

Also, best way to do a pizza at home without a stone? Oven goes to 550 fahrenheit.

I'm used to following superior acts!

LBD0k.jpg

The Annie's is, in a word: Hearty.

For perhaps the first time ever in a frozen pizza----they damn well are not kidding when they say to cook directly on the rack for a Crisper texture. It wasn't like it turned it into cardboard or anything, just really crisp despite puffing up a fair bit as it looked a bit on the small side honestly before spending time in the oven.

22 min did it just right, good portion of nice sauce and cheese in balance and a nice zip to the pepperoni. We'll try the Softer method in a cookie sheet or some such come week after next to see how it fares on the 4-cheese, but overall I can comfortably say this will join my regular rotation of Uno's Deep Dish, Home Run Inn, and Newman's. The final test comes tomorrow with a slice of it cold for lunch...as we all know what a horizon expanding experience that can be!

VanWinkle

Thanks guys!

Can you guys and girls post up your favorite pizza dough recipes? I want to give it a try!

Also, best way to do a pizza at home without a stone? Oven goes to 550 fahrenheit.

Just curious, why not just get a pizza stone? They're really cheap.

VanWinkle

Ahhh, just figured they'd be more expensive and not necessary to give it a try.

I would definitely go for it. You can get one for like twenty dollars if I'm remembering right. It's worth it. You just put the stone in the oven, start preheating around 500-550 degrees for about 20-25 minutes and lay the pizza on the stone with a pizza peel (which is also pretty cheap).

n0n44m

HAVE A GREAT (PIZZA) 2013

Made a ton of pizza yesterday for our New Year dinner :)

Baking Steel did great once more, used semolina to prevent the dough from sticking which worked out pretty well ... still got a feeling my dough is extremely sticky so I might try some different recipes soon

unfortunately got only one picture, as I was using the phone as a stopwatch and was baking non-stop for an hour ... but hey no complaints, everyone loved it

LAST SLICE OF 2012

Made the best pizza I've ever made in my life today! So I have assumed that the pmain thing preventing my pizza from being the best it could be was the oven, and I assumed correctly. I finally decided to use the oven at my fiancee's house, and I made my own dough for the first time in a while which felt great to get back into. My friends, it was just DELICIOUS. Seriously. Soooo good. I will never make another non pan pizza in my oven again.

jB4vukod0Lxet.jpg

looks awesome !

zerotol

Banned

jB4vukod0Lxet.jpg

jb0eEgUzsODKJj.jpg

jTHwt7zhoxwvO.jpg

I can't believe I was using frozen pizza dough balls for a while. I just hated using my terrible stand mixer, so when my fiancee got a nice kitchenaid, I was anxious to use it, and it definitely paid off. Let this cold rise in the fridge for two days.

Looks really good. You did a great job on the crust.

Top Bottom