• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

n0n44m

so this is what today's leftovers-pizza looked like

2013-01-0120.19.08zjzkm.jpg

• Mozzarella
  • Bell Peppers
  • Onions
  • Chorizo
  • Grated Cheese

• Mozzarella
  • Brie
  • Goat Cheese
  • Gorgonzola
  • Grated Cheese

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just a heads-up that Domino's is doing another online deal through the 13th. Order two or more medium two-topping pizzas ($5.99 each) online and get a $5 coupon e-mailed to you for your next online order. Not as good as the 50% deal, but it's something.

This is some crumbled bacon shredded chicken ranch under as the sauce and a little drizzled over top, homemade za!

Also added:

Red Onion
Green Peppers
Chives

Cheese is a huge brick of shredded Pepperjack.

IMG_0211_zpsb5ebe9f8.jpg

IMG_0215_zps414bb90d.jpg

It came out perfect. So delicious.

Made the best pizza I've ever made in my life today! So I have assumed that the pmain thing preventing my pizza from being the best it could be was the oven, and I assumed correctly. I finally decided to use the oven at my fiancee's house, and I made my own dough for the first time in a while which felt great to get back into. My friends, it was just DELICIOUS. Seriously. Soooo good. I will never make another non pan pizza in my oven again.

I can't believe I was using frozen pizza dough balls for a while. I just hated using my terrible stand mixer, so when my fiancee got a nice kitchenaid, I was anxious to use it, and it definitely paid off. Let this cold rise in the fridge for two days.
This looks fantastic. Can you share the dough receipt? I want to eat something like that!

n0n44m

I've been baking/experimenting a lot the past couple of days ... have to readjust after ditching the old "setup"

in addition to the Baking Steel I now got a proper large peel (two actually) , and the book "My Pizza" by Jim Lahey ... it's got a pretty awesome & easy no-knead dough recipe and a whole bunch of nice pies

I've pretty much got everything perfect except for my oven ... broiler (grill) won't turn on with the door closed above 260c/500f do to heat-safety-whatever-sensors so I have to stand next to it continuously with the door open while keeping the door-closed-sensor pressed in order to bypass the temperature sensors --> soon it's gonna be modding time to get that door-closed-sensor permanently stuck !

furthermore I've sworn off the use of rolling pins, which means I'm shaping everything by hand now. Was quite hard at first but it seems the trick is to let the pieces of dough rest for 30 minutes after folding, so that the folds have become one when you make a pizza out of it. Also, flour ... huge amounts of flour to make the dough less sticky. Semolina for the peel though, as flour that hits the stone/Steel will burn instantly unlike semolina.

in the mean time this is pretty much the best I've made so far (6 min bake)

• Lahey's no-knead dough
  • Frito sauce + Oregano
  • Onions
  • Small tomatoes (half'ed)
  • Olives
  • Grated Mozzarella

Hello PizzaGaf just wondering if anyone's ever had Round Table Pizza it's located in Northern California and Nevada we I moved from California to Texas it was one of the hardest things I had to let go the pizza of my childhood =( but I'm going back to Cali to visit tomorrow will try to post a picture of a slice =).

Maui_Zaui_Polynesian_Sauce_Skinny_3.jpg

Grzi

I've been baking/experimenting a lot the past couple of days ... have to readjust after ditching the old "setup"

in addition to the Baking Steel I now got a proper large peel (two actually) , and the book "My Pizza" by Jim Lahey ... it's got a pretty awesome & easy no-knead dough recipe and a whole bunch of nice pies

I've pretty much got everything perfect except for my oven ... broiler (grill) won't turn on with the door closed above 260c/500f do to heat-safety-whatever-sensors so I have to stand next to it continuously with the door open while keeping the door-closed-sensor pressed in order to bypass the temperature sensors --> soon it's gonna be modding time to get that door-closed-sensor permanently stuck !

furthermore I've sworn off the use of rolling pins, which means I'm shaping everything by hand now. Was quite hard at first but it seems the trick is to let the pieces of dough rest for 30 minutes after folding, so that the folds have become one when you make a pizza out of it. Also, flour ... huge amounts of flour to make the dough less sticky. Semolina for the peel though, as flour that hits the stone/Steel will burn instantly unlike semolina.

in the mean time this is pretty much the best I've made so far (6 min bake)

• Lahey's no-knead dough
  • Frito sauce + Oregano
  • Onions
  • Small tomatoes (half'ed)
  • Olives
  • Grated Mozzarella

The dough looks much better than your previous efforts (which already looked good), it's just a little thicker, probably due to the fact that you still haven't gotten used to shaping the dough by hand.
Just one thing, if you're having problems with the dough shrinking while you're stretching it, that means you haven't mixed it long enough.

Do you guys cook pizza's in a pan or place directly on the oven rack? I'd prefer to cook on the rack itself but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it all without making a mess of the oven.

How do you guys go about this? Do you just prepare the pizza on a board and then slip it off onto the rack?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Do you guys cook pizza's in a pan or place directly on the oven rack? I'd prefer to cook on the rack itself but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it all without making a mess of the oven.

How do you guys go about this? Do you just prepare the pizza on a board and then slip it off onto the rack?

In a conventional home oven, you use a pizza pan like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000D8CAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or a pizza stone like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E19MW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I should add you can cook on the rack but that depends on the quality of your dough really.

n0n44m

The dough looks much better than your previous efforts (which already looked good), it's just a little thicker, probably due to the fact that you still haven't gotten used to shaping the dough by hand.
Just one thing, if you're having problems with the dough shrinking while you're stretching it, that means you haven't mixed it long enough.

yeah not using a rolling pin keeps much more air/gas in the dough, but it also means you're pretty much guaranteed to get a thicker rim unless you're very experienced (not that I mind the rim)

the last one was actually formed in like 20 seconds, once the dough ball has been sitting for an hour it becomes really easy to handle

also there's no mixing with this recipe ;) just throw together 500g water, 16g salt and 1g yeast, mix it up, add 350g water, stir a few times, then let it sit for up to 18 hours at room temperature with a damp towel over the bowl

I'm such an idiot. I totally have the first one you linked to. Better than cooking on a rack. At the end of the day I know I really need to get a pizza stone. Thanks.

stones are a must have!

(and if you're in the US you can get a Baking Steel for $72 with free shipping ... should be a no-brainer considering they can't break unlike stones)

n0n44m

oven continues to be a total bitch

either I get nicely broiled top with black char marks and everything, but with an undercooked bottom (as the broiler keeps cycling on/off) or I get a firm bottom + browned top but lacking the "airy" crust on the rim (as I'm baking ~8 minutes without broiler)

guess I'll go order an IR thermometer now ...

2013-01-1320.32.42pgqcu.jpg

tasted fine though :)

stones are a must have!

(and if you're in the US you can get a Baking Steel for $72 with free shipping ... should be a no-brainer considering they can't break unlike stones)

I see the Baking Steel website, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of the BS over a stone. I have neither right now so I'm in the market for something to make homemade pizza on... can you please elaborate on the benefits of BS vs a stone?

n0n44m

I see the Baking Steel website, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of the BS over a stone. I have neither right now so I'm in the market for something to make homemade pizza on... can you please elaborate on the benefits of BS vs a stone?

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...king-steel-delivers.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

this pretty much explains why it's better than a regular stone (soaks up more heat/energy, releases more heat into the crust)

since a stone is still infinitely better than no stone, you'll want either a stone or the steel anyway

the baking steel is 2~3 times the price of a stone, but stones can break whereas steel can't (or shouldn't :p )

so it depends on how crazy you are about making pizza ... I'm making pizza twice a week at the moment lol ... still having fun despite the oven messing with my sanity every now and then

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...king-steel-delivers.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

this pretty much explains why it's better than a regular stone (soaks up more heat/energy, releases more heat into the crust)

since a stone is still infinitely better than no stone, you'll want either a stone or the steel anyway

the baking steel is 2~3 times the price of a stone, but stones can break whereas steel can't (or shouldn't :p )

so it depends on how crazy you are about making pizza ... I'm making pizza twice a week at the moment lol ... still having fun despite the oven messing with my sanity every now and then
I think I'll buy one of these for my birthday.
Pizza every day!

n0n44m

I think I'll buy one of these for my birthday.
Pizza every day!

I thought you were perma'd :p

I've continued my quest in the IronGAF thread ...

anyway Baking Steel is doing great, though I haven't used a regular stone in our oven so I have no direct comparison

in general it's just a better alternative to a stone when you use it in the same way (30 min preheat at max temp, bake in ~8 minutes) , and you can turn on the broiler in your oven without fear of cracking the plate (unlike a stone) to get ~4 minute bakes. For the broiler method to work you do need to be lucky with your oven or mod it a bit ... just don't blame me if your house burns to the ground

no one home tonight so for fun I'm gonna try out the Pan Pizza recipe on Slice. Made half a batch, but the only cast-iron pan I have is rectangular with pretty low sides so let's hope it works out ...

I thought you were perma'd :p

I've continued my quest in the IronGAF thread ...

anyway Baking Steel is doing great, though I haven't used a regular stone in our oven so I have no direct comparison

in general it's just a better alternative to a stone when you use it in the same way (30 min preheat at max temp, bake in ~8 minutes) , and you can turn on the broiler in your oven without fear of cracking the plate (unlike a stone) to get ~4 minute bakes. For the broiler method to work you do need to be lucky with your oven or mod it a bit ... just don't blame me if your house burns to the ground

It was only a month you bugger!

Those pizzas look pretty great btw, hopefully I might turn around my series of homemade pizza failures. My oven simply isn't hot enough I suspect, so one of these would be great for my pizza making.

f0nz0

oven continues to be a total bitch

either I get nicely broiled top with black char marks and everything, but with an undercooked bottom (as the broiler keeps cycling on/off) or I get a firm bottom + browned top but lacking the "airy" crust on the rim (as I'm baking ~8 minutes without broiler)

guess I'll go order an IR thermometer now ...

2013-01-1320.32.42pgqcu.jpg

tasted fine though :)

How do you make your dough?

Pizza, pizza on the wall, who's the biggest fool of all? Must be me who threw you on the wall.
I'll make up for it by eating it all.

~pizza poetry.

And pizza pics:

IMG_20130105_134201.jpg

I have met the devil today. His name was Gluten free Pizza.

It took three Guinesses to wash out that vile filth from my mouth. Why did my wife but this? A divorce is guaranteed if this ever nears my home again.

n0n44m

90% of my pizza output in the past few weeks have been Margherita (Crushed Tomato Sauce, Oregano, Mozzarella, Parmesan sprinkles) ... they've been nothing short of absolutely wonderful but now I kinda feel I've mastered it :p

time to start making some of the wonderful pies from my new bible

I was looking for a little advice GAF, on making my first (semi) home-made pizza. I'm buying pre-made bases for my first, and making the sauce from scratch, figure I will get that down first before I delve into making my own bases.

My question is on the timing of cooking everything. I have a sauce recipe which basically involves simmering ingredients for 15 minutes, should I do this when I'm making the pizza, or can I make it say the day before and chill it, then use it when I cook the pizza? If I do it all in one go, should I let the sauce cool before throwing everything in the oven? I'll be cooking it on the wire rack for now, and it will probably be just the sauce, mozzarella, and peppers, is there anything I should be cautious of when cooking?

Thanks in advance!

n0n44m

I was looking for a little advice GAF, on making my first (semi) home-made pizza. I'm buying pre-made bases for my first, and making the sauce from scratch, figure I will get that down first before I delve into making my own bases.

My question is on the timing of cooking everything. I have a sauce recipe which basically involves simmering ingredients for 15 minutes, should I do this when I'm making the pizza, or can I make it say the day before and chill it, then use it when I cook the pizza? If I do it all in one go, should I let the sauce cool before throwing everything in the oven? I'll be cooking it on the wire rack for now, and it will probably be just the sauce, mozzarella, and peppers, is there anything I should be cautious of when cooking?

Thanks in advance!

letting (tomato) sauce sit for a while usually improves its flavor, so it's fine to make it a while before making the pizza. I usually have everything at room temp because my baking times are pretty low (~5 mins)

just don't put really hot sauce directly from the stove onto the pizza, as I can imagine that might influence the dough somewhat

just set your oven to the max temperature (convection if possible), put the sauce on the base, add some mozz and peppers, then bake it until the crust is looking good (or follow instructions on the base packaging)

Be careful not to put on too much sauce as it will make the ingredients very "floaty" when cutting ... it might even overflow while removing the pizza from the oven. Just a very thin layer spread almost to the edges is fine (unless you're making pan pizza).

I ordered some pizza from joey's yesterday.

have gone a bit overboard with the custom toppings but this is what is on the pizza:

- spicy tomato sauce
- 3 Cheeses Mix
- mozarella
- brokkoli
- spinach
- hot pepper rings
- garlic powder

loved every moment of it!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Toppings: Portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced potatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, homemade tomato sauce

Tasted godlike.

Terra

Well...reading this thread being a little hungry was not the best of ideas. So. Much. Goodies!
I see that there are many pizzas without any meat on them, wich is a no go for me. I need at least two sorts of meat to enjoy a pizza, preferably sliced beef and bolognese. I will post a picture in time...:)

Toppings: Portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced potatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, homemade tomato sauce

Tasted godlike.

Damn that looks and sounds amazing.

New rule to self: never visit this thread after midnight when there's nothing you can do when you inevitably end up feeling hungry.

Top Bottom