• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

n0n44m

2013-02-2320.32.47btrgi.jpg
Margherita FTW

zerotol

Banned
Slumming it with a $5 dollar Little Caesars Pepperoni pizza. It's actually not that bad. It kicks the crap out of any frozen pizza of the same price and it's a decent size.

And these are amazing

IA7QZBW.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
WARNING DO NOT TRUST ANYONE FROM DAYTON,OH

So apparently Marion's Piazza is the God of Pizza for nearly everyone in Dayton, OH. I have several acquaintances from Dayton that I now do not trust anymore at all. They all told me that I absolutely have to have the best pizza in the world once it opens near me. As fate would have it one recently opened up about 10 miles from my house. I finally got around to trying it today. MISTAKE

Here look at this:
Pjpf8D4.jpg

This is what people from Dayton, OH consider Pizza. Do you think it looks like a up class version of a Totino's $1 pizza? Well, your right on the look but with complete honesty I can say that Totino's pizza is better than this flavorless thing. I didn't think Totino's and flavor would ever have a place in a sentence together until now.

I got a 9 inch sausage pizza, with extra sauce. I didn't know sausage could be flavorless until I tried Marion's special sausage (I forget what the special name of the sausage was beside the menu option). I ordered extra sauce because I like my pies nice and saucy. All the extra sauce order for $1 added from my perspective was that small dollop of it in the middle of the picture above.

In short Dayton and Marion's please keep your downgraded Totino's pizza away from Cincy. Thanks.

fader

I like to make homemade pizza every saturday. I cook them in my cast iron pan.

-

Meatball pizza w/ thinly sliced potatoes

-

BBQ Chicken Pizza

whoa. do you have any directions on making them?

edit:

Slumming it with a $5 dollar Little Caesars Pepperoni pizza. It's actually not that bad. It kicks the crap out of any frozen pizza of the same price and it's a decent size.

And these are amazing

IA7QZBW.jpg

I remember when i worked at little caesars i would use those breads and make small pizza sticks with them. tasted so good.

So apparently Marion's Piazza is the God of Pizza for nearly everyone in Dayton, OH. I have several acquaintances from Dayton that I now do not trust anymore at all. They all told me that I absolutely have to have the best pizza in the world once it opens near me. As fate would have it one recently opened up about 10 miles from my house. I finally got around to trying it today. MISTAKE

Here look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/Pjpf8D4.jpg

This is what people from Dayton, OH consider Pizza. Do you think it looks like a up class version of a Totino's $1 pizza? Well, your right on the look but with complete honesty I can say that Totino's pizza is better than this flavorless thing. I didn't think Totino's and flavor would ever have a place in a sentence together until now.

I got a 9 inch sausage pizza, with extra sauce. I didn't know sausage could be flavorless until I tried Marion's special sausage (I forget what the special name of the sausage was beside the menu option). I ordered extra sauce because I like my pies nice and saucy. All the extra sauce order for $1 added from my perspective was that small dollop of it in the middle of the picture above.

In short Dayton and Marion's please keep your downgraded Totino's pizza away from Cincy. Thanks.

Being around Cincy, have you tried Strong's Brick Oven Pizzeria over in Newport? I thought it was really good when I was in town for a Bengals game. Added bonus if you're a fan of Nutella.

Tawpgun

Just wanted to chime in here and share the GOAT of frozen ready to bake pizzas.

ElliosPizza2.jpg

As far as what I like, I haven't been to any famous or gourmet pizza places, despite living basically right in between New Haven and New York.

But im in Boston now and there's this place called Il Mondo that makes the bessssssst pizza oh my god.

If anyones familiar with Boston, reccomend some Pizza places. The North End has to have something good.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Being around Cincy, have you tried Strong's Brick Oven Pizzeria over in Newport? I thought it was really good when I was in town for a Bengals game. Added bonus if you're a fan of Nutella.

No, I haven't but I will be sure to give it a shot now. I'm always looking for good pizza joints in the Cincy area that are non-chains. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, I do enjoy Nutella and Bananas on toast from time to time.

No, I haven't but I will be sure to give it a shot now. I'm always looking for good pizza joints in the Cincy area that are non-chains. Thanks for the tip.

And yes, I do enjoy Nutella and Bananas on toast from time to time.

You'll probably enjoy their Nutella dessert pizza then.

Just popped in this thread to check it out and now I'm going to need to get some pizza tonight. If only I didn't live in the worst place for decent pizza places.

ElliosPizza2.jpg

As far as what I like, I haven't been to any famous or gourmet pizza places, despite living basically right in between New Haven and New York.

But im in Boston now and there's this place called Il Mondo that makes the bessssssst pizza oh my god.

If anyones familiar with Boston, reccomend some Pizza places. The North End has to have something good.

Right, I usually say that frozen pizzas shouldn't be hated on, but that stuff looks pretty vile.

Log4Girlz

ElliosPizza2.jpg

Used to eat it all the time as a kid. Its shit.

n0n44m

Amazing how something that looks like it contains a ton of salt is apparently totally flavorless :)

I've been experimenting a bit lately; crossposting from IronGAF:

-------------------------------

Unconventional Pizza Time !

Béchamel sauce - Gruyère Cheese - Thinly Sliced Potato - Leek - Rosemary

Béchamel sauce - Grated Parmesan - Mozzarella - Ham - Peas

+ tonight I bring you

home-alone-stuff-I-found-in-the-kitchen-Pizza

Creme Fraiche - Pepper & Thime - Scallion - Gruyère Cheese - Corn - Tomato - Ham - Grated Parmesan

ElliosPizza2.jpg

Thats not even the best rectangle pizza.

DSCN3082.JPG

zerotol

Banned

Here look at this:
Pjpf8D4.jpg

Yup, that looks like a Totinos dollar pizza. That's a ridiculous amount of sausage

zerotol

Banned
Amazing how something that looks like it contains a ton of salt is apparently totally flavorless :)

I've been experimenting a bit lately; crossposting from IronGAF:

Unconventional Pizza Time !

Béchamel sauce - Gruyère Cheese - Thinly Sliced Potato - Leek - Rosemary

Béchamel sauce - Grated Parmesan - Mozzarella - Ham - Peas

+ tonight I bring you

home-alone-stuff-I-found-in-the-kitchen-Pizza

Creme Fraiche - Pepper & Thime - Scallion - Gruyère Cheese - Corn - Tomato - Ham - Grated Parmesan

You're an artist

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Any one else on the east coast here reppin Bertucci's? They're a shit chain but they got some decent pizza.

Joe Lee

And these are amazing

IA7QZBW.jpg

That's it, I'm going to Little Caesar's right now.

Ourobolus

Banned
It had been a long while since I made pizza from scratch, so I found a recipe that uses a biga starter since I had had some amazing pizza in Montana that used a similar recipe.

It turned out pretty good actually, though I need to crank my oven a bit higher next time to get more color on the crust (damn inaccurate oven temps!)

n0n44m

So what's the best dough and Pizza sauce recipe? I want to do my own Pizza now and so I need help!

depends on what kind of pizza you like :)

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/ultimate-pizza-making-guide.html?ref=sectionnav has plenty of recipes !

personally I'm sticking to no-knead dough & crushed canned tomatoes as a sauce, which give me proper Neapolitan-Style results with my home oven setup

It had been a long while since I made pizza from scratch, so I found a recipe that uses a biga starter since I had had some amazing pizza in Montana that used a similar recipe.

It turned out pretty good actually, though I need to crank my oven a bit higher next time to get more color on the crust (damn inaccurate oven temps!)

yes, always crank it to the max when making your own pizza :) does wonders for the crust

whoa. do you have any directions on making them?

Sorry for the delayed reply, but no there is not really any special prep that needs to be done to use the cast iron. I just heat the pan in the oven, take the pan out, carefully build the pizza on the hot pan, and throw it back in the oven. Simple but perfectly baked crust every time

n0n44m

today I learned that :

1: Though the cheapest flour and cheapest canned tomatoes from the local supermarket are still totally awesome, their cheapest Mozzarella is pretty fucking nasty

2: Gruyère Cheese tastes well on a Margherita, but it ain't cheap

3: Making no-knead dough in only 8 hours is possible, but it is slightly denser and less tasty compared to dough that has been left for the full 18 hours (additional days in the fridge are even better). So if you want to make no-knead in a hurry, add some (more) sugar and yeast, and leave it in the oven with the lights on to get some more rise in a shorter amount of time.

4: Three-and-a-half minutes under the broiler tastes better than four-and-a-half with convection on, due to the extra char on the top crust that is close to the broiler. Convection is still absolutely fine and generally requires less oven hacks of course :)

isny

napkin dispenser
So Pizza Hut has decided to give us Canadians another fucked up Pizza. First hot dog stuffed crust, now the shitty burger crown stuffed crust =/

CrownCrustAd1.jpg

So the chain Marco's Pizza just recently opened near us, actually is pretty decent stuff. Wings were awful but the pizza itself was quite good for chain brand. They have an excellent thin crust as well.

MrBig

Unfortunately forgot to take pics, but I made up a soubise sauce with creme fraiche for a pizza last night, top with freshly shredded moz, jalapenos, bacon, and bell peppers. First time making a pizza in a few months as I recently moved and no longer have a fantastic, large, convection oven like the last one I used before, and don't have my stone, but I made do and baked it on an upside down cookie pan. Turned out fantastic and now I want to make more white pizzas, since I was never really a fan of tomatoes anyway

GhaleonEB

I'm two weeks into going gluten-free, and the results are good enough that I'm going to stick to it. So....any decent gluten-free pizza out there? I had some with a pre-made crust the other day and it was less than excellent.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm two weeks into going gluten-free, and the results are good enough that I'm going to stick to it. So....any decent gluten-free pizza out there? I had some with a pre-made crust the other day and it was less than excellent.

If you're looking to make your own dough, I can recommend Maninis flours as easily being the best gluten-free variety I've tried (and conveniently for you, they're a PNW-based company). There may be better recipes for pizza dough, but this one is from the company's own blog:

http://maninisglutenfree.wordpress....-gluten-free-multiuso-multipurpose-flour-mix/

MrBig

Unfortunately, pizza dough sans gluten will likely always end up thick and chewy rather than light and fluffy, as gluten is essential to rising.

I've tried a lot of other great recipes and techniques from this forum, maybe they have a gluten free dough that is really good

GhaleonEB

If you're looking to make your own dough, I can recommend Maninis flours as easily being the best gluten-free variety I've tried (and conveniently for you, they're a PNW-based company). There may be better recipes for pizza dough, but this one is from the company's own blog:

http://maninisglutenfree.wordpress....-gluten-free-multiuso-multipurpose-flour-mix/

Unfortunately, pizza dough sans gluten will likely always end up thick and chewy rather than light and fluffy, as gluten is essential to rising.

I've tried a lot of other great recipes and techniques from this forum, maybe they have a gluten free dough that is really good

Thanks for the links, I'll be checking out both. We went out for pizza last night at a local joint, and they had a gluten-free crust. Was pre-packaged in its own baking tin, but was surprisingly edible. Not the same but it was close enough that I won't be miserable. That and you guys have given me hope. <3

Top Bottom