• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushiwaka

Still no new Bayo news that PG promised us :/ What do you guys think it will be? Kamiya said something about a Spin off the other day on twitter, so if it is an spin off, do you think it will be for handleds or for home console(s)?

And more importantly, do you think SEGA's new strategies will affect Bayonetta or not?

mooncakes

Still no new Bayo news that PG promised us :/ What do you guys think it will be? Kamiya said something about a Spin off the other day on twitter, so if it is an spin off, do you think it will be for handleds or for home console(s)?

And more importantly, do you think SEGA's new strategies will affect Bayonetta or not?

Next week...in game magazines...

Here we go guys, Scalebound gameplay in a week.

at where exactly? Source?

Golnei

It's time to accept that Bayonetta has no chance of being continued. Let the soothing tones of inevitability wash over you.

It's such a shame that the series' music sees so few fan arrangements - that, the Lady in Black Afterburner remix and a few covers of Let's Dance, Boys are pretty much everything that seems to exist.

at where exactly? Source?

Hasn't it been confirmed to have some presence at Gamescom for a while? I wouldn't expect gameplay, necessarily, but we'll definitely get some new information.

Ushiwaka

Golnei

envsatellite04jpg-73e5e4_1024w.jpg

It's almost here...

I'll need to watch the video again and the IGN demo, but I like what I'm seeing do far. It's a lot slower than I expected but I think it could be great with customization and multiple weapon types. We saw one of the coop partners with a great sword so hopefully it's like a more action oriented MH or online Dragon's Dogma.

Anyways, I've trusted every Platinum game from day one so far so I have to give this the benefit of the doubt. Xbox One will be mine along with Scalebound whenever it comes out.

I'm sure it'll turn out decent at worst.

4 player co-op means I need to take off my DMC goggles and put on my PSO goggles. Gotta find the extended gameplay video whenever I can take a break from work.

Looks like you can customize your clothes and weapons based on what the 2 other characters were wearing and had equipped. I wonder if it's going to be like AC Unity where you all play as the main character or if you can actually play as a fully customizable dude.

Ushiwaka

Its obvious they wanted to appeal to the western market, and they said they wanted to do this with Scalebound. I say we should wait for more footage and info.

I just can't get over the fact that other than the Dragon stuff (Which was the coolest part of the demo imo), this looks too much like Witcher 3, and I didn't like that game at all. lol.

Definitely not at all what I was expecting. It's basically a multiplayer upgraded Dragon's Dogma with, well, a dragon obviously, and Dark Souls-like attack speed. It being multiplayer explained a lot of the slight jankyness, you simply can't have the same level of tightness when accounting for four players.

Since I don't own a XBone or have any intention of getting one, I'm not particularly bummed that it doesn't look super hot right now, although I have no doubt it will end up being an excellent game.

The Scalebound holiday 2016 XB1 bundle will be mine. I need it to happen. I need it to include Scalebound and Sunset Overdrive and I will be happy with just those 2 XB1 games.

Coda

Well it looks cool but I don't know, looks like Microsoft put their weird touch on it and it doesn't quite look like a Platinum game. The combat didn't look like it was too much fun, looked like Dragon Age kind of combat.

Golnei

Well it looks cool but I don't know, looks like Microsoft put their weird touch on it and it doesn't quite look like a Platinum game. The combat didn't look like it was too much fun, looked like Dragon Age kind of combat.

It does look a little generic - the Bayonettas, Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish and MGR all had a sort of unified visual style this game lacks. Maybe it was just the result of it being their first UE4 game / game on a current-generation console - and wasn't Microsoft also assisting in the development in a more direct sense, as well?

I do like the look of the environments in general we've seen so far, though. But that character / enemy design...hopefully the main character is customisable, at least.

Ushiwaka

All these mixed feelings towards Scalebound just makes me crave new info and trailers for Nier. Let's see if that game can be a perfect mix of Platinum combat and RPG.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have to honest, it kind of bothers me that Scalebound is getting all this love from the press while Platinum's other titles tend to get ignored.

is it because Scalebound looks to check off the "AAA trademarks"? Open world action RPG being a big one.

Golnei

I have to honest, it kind of bothers me that Scalebound is getting all this love from the press while Platinum's other titles tend to get ignored.

is it because Scalebound looks to check off the "AAA trademarks"? Open world action RPG being a big one.

It's much less niche than Platinum's other recent projects by design - the genre is definitely more popular, like you said; but it also has a moderately high budget, approachable aesthetic/relatively good presentation and some form of promotion; which is more than could be said for the vast majority of Platinum and Clover games dating back to Okami, Viewtiful Joe and God Hand. Coming off their disastrous partnership with Nintendo and turbulent relationship with Sega, it's refreshing to see a game of theirs destined for mediocre rather than abysmal sales.

Though a less aggressively boring, focus-tested design for the protagonist would have been nice...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Disastrous? They seem to be on good terms considering they're making Star Fox Zero with them.
And supposedly working on Project Guard.

Golnei

By all accounts, they seem to have worked really well together; it's just unfortunate that various factors combined (games sent to die in terms of promotion, no audience for action games on the console, pathetically small userbase in general) led to the games they made under Nintendo performing awfully even by their low standards. Scalebound looks to be their first game since MGR that will actually get any marketing attention at all.

P*gaf check out the new IGN First video on Scalebound. A lot of new footage (same area as the Gamescom demo). Shows off the dragon customization, co-op fights and the spear and greatsword weapons.

Ushiwaka

P*gaf check out the new IGN First video on Scalebound. A lot of new footage (same area as the Gamescom demo). Shows off the dragon customization, co-op fights and the spear and greatsword weapons.

Dragon customization is a really, really cool idea. Thuban and stuff he can do is the most interesting thing about Scalebound for me right now :)

P.S: About one month until TGS. NieR will most likely be there (they said more info at Fall), and I'm personally waiting for the new Bayo news Platinum promised us to see in 2015. LET'S GO!

Golnei

Wait wait wait. Is that a new voice actor and new music I'm hearing?

I haven't listened to the Japanese cast for either game, so I wouldn't know if it's a new actor or new lines with the original. And the music sounds fairly similar to the original version of Red and Black, minus the vocals - I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only change.

Ushiwaka

I haven't listened to the Japanese cast for either game, so I wouldn't know if it's a new actor or new lines with the original. And the music sounds fairly similar to the original version of Red and Black, minus the vocals - I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only change.

The first game didn't have JPN voice acting and if this is the same voice actor they hired for Bayo 1 Wii U port, its a bit strange since Nintendo probably paid for that and they aren't involved in the Pachislot game. Hmm...

P.S: I like the Vocal version of Red and Black. :p

Golnei

The first game didn't have JPN voice acting and if this is the same voice actor they hired for Bayo 1 Wii U port, its a bit strange since Nintendo probably paid for that and they aren't involved in the Pachislot game. Hmm...

It would be interesting to see if Nintendo held any rights over the Japanese dub, if they funded it. Though they have licensed wholly-owned IPs for mobile in the past, so licensing a dub wouldn't be unheard of - or perhaps it was part of the contract for the Bayonetta 1 Wii U / Bayonetta 2 deal in the first place?

Either way, we may be approaching that glorious day where Bayonetta 2 finally gets the
pachislot
port it deserves.

Ushiwaka

It would be interesting to see if Nintendo held any rights over the Japanese dub, if they funded it. Though they have licensed wholly-owned IPs for mobile in the past, so licensing a dub wouldn't be unheard of - or perhaps it was part of the contract for the Bayonetta 1 Wii U / Bayonetta 2 deal in the first place?

Maybe it was a part of the contract, but if it was, it would be weird that Sega didn't want to fund the game, but funded the JPN dubs :/ Weird situation...

Either way, we may be approaching that glorious day where Bayonetta 2 finally gets the
pachislot
port it deserves.

Ahahaha... haha... ha :(

The Nier Automata footage fucking blew my mind. Most anticipated game now alongside Persona 5. It's so fucking smooth. Some of it reminded me of Metal Gear Rising, especially that big broadsword having similar animations and hitstops as Sundowner's weapon.

Top Bottom