• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sooo... I finished The Wonderful 101 last night. It was amazing. It's definitely the most 'complete' game Platinum have made in my opinion, in terms of length and not having parts like MGR's 10 minute chapter then a boss fight as another chapter. I still prefer Bayonetta's final QTE because I hadn't really seen anything like it, but the final boss of W101 blows all other Platinum final bosses out of the water (although I've not finished Madworld, Anarchy Reigns or Transformers yet).

The only levels I wasn't keen on were 7-A and the Epilogue. Everything else was fantastic. Operation 005's boss was definitely my favourite part.

Can I select chapters to play once I've finished it? I've started hard mode now, but can I at least chapter select on normal?
Also, how the hell do you attack
the enemies who are behind you on the part when you're flying Platinum Robo in the Shishogane Comet to pull the manual switch?
I died three times there.

Golnei

It seems like Scalebound might be the last original IP Platinum ever develops. At least it might mean their future projects have a chance of posting less dismal sales figures, relative to budget.

CVXckMrUwAAbAa4.png

platinum tweeting this image like..... yall aint shit

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sadly, the Nintendo announcement wasn't W101 related, or even Smash related. I voted for Red so many times in the ballot... maybe he's being saved for Smash 5? He is a Nintendo IP, they shouldn't have any trouble using him.

On another note, I just learned about vStyleTournament, a crazy stylish action game competition where people compete to be the most stylish.
Includes Bayonetta, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, The Wonderful 101, Revengance, and Vanquish. As well as non-Clover/Platinum titles like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Sengoku Basara, and some stuff I haven't heard of but looks pretty nice.

Sadly, the Nintendo announcement wasn't W101 related, or even Smash related. I voted for Red so many times in the ballot... maybe he's being saved for Smash 5? He is a Nintendo IP, they shouldn't have any trouble using him.

Don't give up hope just yet, let's wait for this 15th's Smash direct.

Well, it wasn't Wonder Red in the end, but hell if I'm complaining with what we got. :) Thank you based Sakurai, we don't deserve you.

Who else thought it was going to be another Kid Icarus character when they saw Pit and heard Palutena? :D

Golnei

This might be interesting - a concept artist assigned to Nier Automata recently posted a blog entry about their experience with Platinum (translated here), which along with some insights into the structure of the company and creative process, was posted with a new piece of concept art. It's possible that it's completely unrelated to the project like a lot of other original work Platinum artists have posted, but it could conceivably fit in with the environmental art we've seen already...

tumblr_o2h1sxxfmQ1qgirq1o1_1280.jpg

This might be interesting - a concept artist assigned to Nier Automata recently posted a blog entry about their experience with Platinum (translated here), which along with some insights into the structure of the company and creative process, was posted with a new piece of concept art. It's possible that it's completely unrelated to the project like a lot of other original work Platinum artists have posted, but it could conceivably fit in with the environmental art we've seen already...

Thanks for sharing, very interesting. There are several other pieces of artwork at the link, which I guess might not be new as I've not been following information on the game religiously. Getting strong The Last of Us vibes, which is great as I loved the juxtaposition of ruined urban structures and nature reclaiming them.

Golnei

Wasn't there a separate thread for that artwork? I remember it being discussed, just not here. I'm still a little disappointed they couldn't manage to fit in Sam - even 2B and Zero are on it.

Wasn't there a separate thread for that artwork? I remember it being discussed, just not here. I'm still a little disappointed they couldn't manage to fit in Sam - even 2B and Zero are on it.

Isn't he the one between Wonder Green and Pink?

Edit: Oh wait, you probably mean Samuel Rodrigues, not Sam Gideon.

I love the Lumen in the upper right bubble like "shit we forgot him"

I see a Ninja Turtle and our new Nier gynoid

Good catch on the ninja turtles, there's actually two of them (Leonardo and Donatello). For those wondering, they're in the first image only, in silhouette form on the right.

And yeah, the Lumen sage thing is kind of "huh?". I wonder if it's because
Balder is already in the picture as his older self

Ushiwaka

Hey P*-GAF! Long time no see! A LOT of Platinum related stuff has happened and I was way too busy to post here, missed yall!

So, apparently Polygon has asked Saito about what would a Platinum Kill la Kill game look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCd4wek9O0

Seems like at least Saito is pretty interested in the idea.

AuPlST7.gif

This needs to happen ;__;

Pizza

Surprised the lack of Star Fox/TMNT talk in the past two months here.

Starfox looks like a steaming pile, IMO and I really love both platinum and starfox, and the game should be something I'm foaming at the mouth for on paper, but meh.

Also I'm not a huge fan of TMNT but I'd be surprised if fans of the series didn't like the game

Star Fox just looked boring to me tbh. It also didn't help that impressions from folks I share opinions with came to that conclusion from playing it.

Between all the comments that talk about this being the first true Star Fox sequel, I've even wondered if I've ever been a "real" Star Fox fan.

Regiruler

How extensive was their work on guard anyway?

Some bits of Zero have a very obvious influence, but it's a little more muddled for SFG. I didn't recognize any of the composers for Guard either.

EDIT: The credits for Guard definitely took a bit of inspiration from Bayonetta, though. Not quite as articulated, but far more lively than Zero's credits, which are an absolute chore to sit through (I skip them every time).

Sesha

Random dumb thought: I know the whole "Platinum should make X" is worn out at this point, but after Trials of the Blood Dragon at E3 I really want to see a Blood Dragon: Revengeance.

Random dumb thought: I know the whole "Platinum should make X" is worn out at this point, but after Trials of the Blood Dragon at E3 I really want to see a Blood Dragon: Revengeance.

But Furi just came out.

But seriously, yeah seeing a Platinum game with the stylings of neon 80's would be interesting.

Golnei

Anyone who hasn't checked out Rei Kondoh's soundcloud should do so at some point: https://soundcloud.com/reikondoh

Some incredibly technical stuff although a lot mellower than what he's famous for.

Thanks for linking that, I had no idea he had a Soundcloud at all. It's definitely very different in tone from the massive bombastic pieces that he's usually contracted for, but you can still recognise his style - in particular, melodic devices typical of his work on Okami and Fire Emblem surface in a couple of the impromptus. I'd love to see pieces in this style make their way into his soundtrack work - his range is a wider than the bulk of his game soundtracks would suggest, especially taking outliers like The Viper from DMC4 and The Lumen Sage ~ Climax from Bayonetta 2 into account.

Anyway thanks again; it's probably one of the better things you could choose to resurrect the Platinum thread with. I wonder if it'll stay somewhat active with Nier on the horizon.

Top Bottom