• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Golnei

Some more Nier Automata art was posted by one of the game's character designers - it isn't major enough to deserve a thread, but I don't think it's been brought up in any of the existing Nier threads which are now too old to bump.

adam-and-eve-161112.jpg
commander-161119.jpg

Hope you enjoy the ride. Game is fun as hell.

Has there been any word about the other games? IIRC there was news about this being the first of like four games.

It was supposed to be a trilogy but not a peep was heard since then. I really, really hope they eventually get to it because the game is frankly one of the most amazing things to ever grace us TF fans.

According to this there was supposed to be a game for each "chapter" in the Generations toyline / IDW comics, with Devastation being the "Combiner Wars" game. If Generations transitions out of Titans Return without a second game being announced then it's probably time to give up hope. The entire trilogy was supposed to be complete by the end of 2017 or beginning to 2018.

Regiruler

Finished devastation. The start of the level after shockwave was really strong, but there were some... major bumps.

The game suffers a lot because of the weird balancing. Ranged feels weak unless you use a photon eliminator, flamethrower, or laser gun, grapple gun is paradoxical with what you can grab, and above all you feel like you're doing way too little damage in some of the encounters (but I then cakewalked the final phase and was disappointed when the credits rolled).

The difficulty is way too over the place because of the stupid RPG system.

Finished devastation. The start of the level after shockwave was really strong, but there were some... major bumps.

The game suffers a lot because of the weird balancing. Ranged feels weak unless you use a photon eliminator, flamethrower, or laser gun, grapple gun is paradoxical with what you can grab, and above all you feel like you're doing way too little damage in some of the encounters (but I then cakewalked the final phase and was disappointed when the credits rolled).

It's a P* game, of course guns are situational (unless we're talking TW101 with its broken Unite Gun). They're mostly useful for headshots triggering vehicle attacks.

The difficulty is way too over the place because of the stupid RPG system.

That I 100% agree. I would happily pay money for a remaster where weapons are single unlocks with fixed or at best modestly upgradable stats like in other P* games. That would mean I'd own the game an additional fourth time, but I wouldn't mind.

mooncakes

Not sure how true is that but it seems like Kamiya-San has some kind of health issues according to this guy because of the stress caused by making the Scalebound game. Hope he is okay.
I love that man games and I hope he keeps making more in the future.

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/818545880089427968

Scalebound was cancelled. I also heard that Kamiya is taking time off due to mental health issues. It's really sad.

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/818553760091881474
Many people are worried about Kamiya. When I said mental health, I didn't mean he was institutionalized or anything too drastic

Shinobi in the other thread also said the same.

Cancellation sucks, but I'm most worried about Kamiya after all of this. I hope he's alright.

If the other thread is anything to go by, it's probably because of the stress of being set impossible deadlines by Microsoft in order to get out of the contract. Because apparently I didn't have enough reasons to hate Microsoft's guts yet.

Considering he's my favorite developer ever, I can't express how hopeful I am that he makes a full recovery with no lasting effects.

Regiruler

After looking at that list I can see why

But every platinum fan worth their salt knows you show off with your rows of pure platinum medals.

The fact that u got the plat in Bayo ps3 and ninja turtles. What kind of dedication
Man the TMNT port is so bad on PS3 lol. Bayo runs better, believe it or not. It doesn't have screen-tearing really, but it goes below 20fps.

After looking at that list I can see why

But every platinum fan worth their salt knows you show off with your rows of pure platinum medals.
Very true. It's harder with all games though. Ranks in Transformers: Devastation don't mean anything. Same with TMNT. Though, TMNT I did S-Rank all missions on PC with the 60fps mod, which doubles your in-game time.

EDIT: Also, not here to caress my ego. I just wanted to exhibit that I'm a very big fan, hopefully nullifying my identity as a JM a bit.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
PlatinumGames drone here. Only person globally to have platinum'd all of PlatinumGames' software.

Crumbs! Hats off to ye.
I'm happy I got 1000 GS for Bayo back when I had a 360. Would happily finish going back through on PS3 one day, just to show the love.

Devastation is sitting on my HDD... Gotta check that out after Gravity Rush 2!

Whoa. That's some awesome dedication.
Thanks dude! It was quite fun. Vanquish especially!

I salute thee.
I salute you, Mr. Smiley. ;__;7

Crumbs! Hats off to ye.
I'm happy I got 1000 GS for Bayo back when I had a 360. Would happily finish going back through on PS3 one day, just to show the love.

Devastation is sitting on my HDD... Gotta check that out after Gravity Rush 2!
Nicely done! 360 version is great! PS3 version... not so much. But I also platinum'd it out of respect.

Awesome! I really enjoyed Transformers. It has some problems with its balance -- the rampant RPG elements really messed it up. It's a shame. Damn fun, though. I have the world record for the fastest time to platinum.

Welcome, Wesley-Sigma! That's some amazing dedication and skill, congratulations!
Thank you very much! Appreciate the warm welcome, dudes. I feel like I am with my people, ha.

--

You dudes on PSN? My ID is the same as my GAF username.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, how does that work? Like, take a weapon and modify its stats?

The idea was to completely modify the savegame, including bot stats, and especially weapons, allowing to add any and completely customize them (level, rank, damage, slots, skills, etc.). It's reasonably far along, but still needs finishing up. I posted about it here and didn't receive a lot of replies (understandably as probably most people play on consoles) so I assumed there wasn't a lot of interest, and then got distracted with something else.

But yeah, I should finish it up if only not to let that work go to waste. Perhaps I'll get to it today, see how much is left to do.

The idea was to completely modify the savegame, including bot stats, and especially weapons, allowing to add any and completely customize them (level, rank, damage, slots, skills, etc.). It's reasonably far along, but still needs finishing up. I posted about it here and didn't receive a lot of replies (understandably as probably most people play on consoles) so I assumed there wasn't a lot of interest, and then got distracted with something else.

But yeah, I should finish it up if only not to let that work go to waste. Perhaps I'll get to it today, see how much is left to do.

That would be quite nice. Finding a balance for the game so that it could be more like a pure action game without its RPG elements.

I have the game on PC. If you ever finish it, let me know! No rush though.

PlatinumGames drone here. Only person globally to have platinum'd all of PlatinumGames' software.

Very excited for Granblue Fantasy. Have a group ready to import it with me.

Wow - nice!

I only have Bayonetta and Vanquish (and I guess Wonderful 101). Kind of eventually plan on getting all the achievements for all / most of their games eventually, but a lot of them have some pretty annoying / tedious achievements (Anarchy Reigns' "beat all bosses with killer weapons / rampage mode", Metal Gear Rising's "get all codecs" and "S-rank the game" (love the game but I'm not sure I love it enough to do the latter).. Maybe someday though.

Still need to play TMNT. I sort of regret not getting it before it got delisted on PC - that really bums me out, honestly. I'll end up getting it on PS3 sooner or later to play it with a friend. Not expecting much, but I imagine the game is at least reasonably decent (Korra-tier, I hope - I like that game a little more than most) if you're playing with friends.

Wow - nice!

I only have Bayonetta and Vanquish (and I guess Wonderful 101). Kind of eventually plan on getting all the achievements for all / most of their games eventually, but a lot of them have some pretty annoying / tedious achievements (Anarchy Reigns' "beat all bosses with killer weapons / rampage mode", Metal Gear Rising's "get all codecs" and "S-rank the game" (love the game but I'm not sure I love it enough to do the latter).. Maybe someday though.

Still need to play TMNT. I sort of regret not getting it before it got delisted on PC - that really bums me out, honestly. I'll end up getting it on PS3 sooner or later to play it with a friend. Not expecting much, but I imagine the game is at least reasonably decent (Korra-tier, I hope - I like that game a little more than most) if you're playing with friends.

Thank you!

Yeah, the all codec calls trophy makes me abhor the trophy list lol. Didn't mind the Stormbringer run. If you're going to go for it, use the Armour Breaker. Fully upgraded it's an amazing weapon. Rips through Mastiffs.

Man, that sucks. You could probably like, make a Hong Kong Steam account, buy TMNT there and gift it to your main account. I just would advise against the PS3 version. It's awful. 20fps and dips. Regarding its quality, eh. It's worse than Korra. But like yourself, I enjoyed Korra. When I played it the night it came out, I was eager for the reviews because I thought it would do well. Nope lol.

But yeah. TMNT isn't very good. Pains me to say it. Activision really fucked that game. I don't think PlatinumGames wanted to make an MMO-style Beat 'Em Up.

NieR: Automata is out today in the Americas. :) You dudes get it?

I beat it a while ago and platinum-ed it last week. Had a great time. Eager to hear your guys' thoughts!

Golnei

I'll be waiting until the PC launch on the 17th, but I hope everyone getting into the game now enjoys it as much as you have. Even though it always looked good, I can't say I was expecting the reception to be as glowing as it has been; and I really hope that momentum can be maintained - both for Yoko Taro and Platinum. The plummeting activity in this thread is evidence that the fervent excitement that once surrounded them has kind of waned after the string of licensed tie-ins and the Scalebound fiasco, hopefully this (and maybe Granblue, though that doesn't look as compelling as Automata) are the start of a resurgence.

To celebrate, here's more art from the ever-talented Oeilvert.

tumblr_omfwj4u8Q61r9wko3o1_1280.png

I'll be waiting until the PC launch on the 17th, but I hope everyone getting into the game now enjoys it as much as you have. Even though it always looked good, I can't say I was expecting the reception to be as glowing as it has been; and I really hope that momentum can be maintained - both for Yoko Taro and Platinum. The plummeting activity in this thread is evidence that the fervent excitement that once surrounded them has kind of waned after the string of licensed tie-ins and the Scalebound fiasco, hopefully this (and maybe Granblue, though that doesn't look as compelling as Automata) are the start of a resurgence.

To celebrate, here's more art from the ever-talented Oeilvert.

tumblr_omfwj4u8Q61r9wko3o1_1280.png
Oh my.

Yeah, it's a weird time to be a Platinum fan. Their history 2009-2013 was incredible -- but the industry doesn't want games like those anymore. So those of us who stuck around and played their licensed titles because we are care about gameplay and not context, we are seeing less exciting software from them.

Seems like NieR will do well. While I appreciated its quality, I'd rather see pure action titles from P*. But, I will buy the RPGs for the combat, even if it isn't at the skill ceiling that I wish it was.

I didnt know this thread existed!

Nier Automata is my first Platinum ....platinum. And not from a lack of trying lol.
Not too much activity here it seems -- but the active posters are all lovers of P*. :)

Man I'm still trying to figure out his magic GodHand skills, never mind his finesse with Jetstream.
Yeah, he is nuts.

I like the podcasts that he has been handling. Pretty insightful about the games we play and our community.

Played through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan over the last few days with some friends. Oof. To be honest, I was expecting that the game would be elevated by being played in multiplayer, that it wasn't quite worthy of all the negative press - but no, the game's not even Legend of Korra-tier. Not even Madworld-tier (easily Platinum's weakest game before this, I think). Oh well. At least I finally got the chance to play it.

hamsjams

Played through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan over the last few days with some friends. Oof. To be honest, I was expecting that the game would be elevated by being played in multiplayer, that it wasn't quite worthy of all the negative press - but no, the game's not even Legend of Korra-tier. Not even Madworld-tier (easily Platinum's weakest game before this, I think). Oh well. At least I finally got the chance to play it.

I played solo but experienced the same disappointment that you did with Mutants in Manhattan. Even the basic action of smacking an enemy just doesn't feel satisfying. That's essentially unheard of for any other Platinum game. It's a real shame.

Top Bottom