• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first video game I ever played: Ninja Mission on Atari ST. What was yours?

NikuNashi

video games 80s GIF by RETRO-FIEND

80s 1980s GIF
This, and I didn't like it. It wasn't until about 1985 when I got an Amstrad for Christmas with World Games did it stick with me.

The one I can actively remember is Mario on NES. Daughter of my mom's friend had it cos they had money. I couldn't understand the fact that you could manipulate the TV screen at first.

sigmaZ

First console I'm cognizant of is the Magnavox Odyssey 2. Had so many games so I'm not sure what game was first. Probably Kung-fu or Bowling.

It was Pong but in the early 90s.

After school I’d hang out at the real estate office my parents worked at. They had a room with toys and games for kids.

The owner was cheap, hated kids, and had a dedicated Pong console hooked up to a small CRT with paddles.

I played the shit out of it. My brothers and I would compete.

After seeing the success of the game room (we’d get other kids involved with the competition and shit talking) the owner got another television with an NES and I guess he heard the hubbub about Mario.

The second game I ever played for was Mario Bros (Pipeline). I kind of hate that game but it really made me fall in love with Mario.

4bUobIP.gif

Last edited:

Fredrik

OoAYs14.jpeg

0SQyuWe.jpeg

UFZWSNR.jpeg

Armoured Assault on the Spectravideo SVI-328
This and a Space Invaders clone called Spectron was what started it all for me. Was great tbh and here I am 40 years later and gaming is still one of my bigger hobbies.

STzplMb.gif

Hot Dot Spotter on the 48k Spectrum.

It was an educational game that taught you how to count. To say it was basic is an understatement. It was also really boring. However, it got me into gaming so I'll always appreciate it. I still own the game and the box.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I believe my Master System was a hand me down, and that predates my memory. All I know is that I had a selection of games, and the first could be any of them.

The Flintstones
R-Type
Shinobi
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jungle Book
Hang-On (built in game)

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is my favourite of the lot, and Flintstones is still a difficult PITA to play. I almost forgot I had Indiana Jones, I don't remember playing that much.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Really had to think about this. I wish it was something cool but I think it must have been Mole attack on the Vic 20 😂

My uncle had a Vic 20 and let me play something simple I think because I would of only been 5 or 6 years old.

After looking games up for the Vic 20 I also played Jupiter landing and Hoppit. My uncle had terrible taste in games It seems it seems 😂

Then soon after I got my very own gaming system the mighty:
lX53NvC.jpeg

😂

DeepSpace5D

First game I ever played was Duck Hunt with the NES gun. I must’ve been around 5 years old at that time, and I still remember that moment vaguely.

Duck Hunt but what I probably played most was Battle Tank. Making maps in Battle Tank is very relaxing especially after getting laughed at by that dog in Duck Hunt.

Majormaxxx

The first video game I actually played was Shadow Knights on my friend's home 386 DX/40 PC

The first video game I saw was Double Dragon at the local arcade. It was so crowded I could never see the game upclose

Last edited:

panda-zebra

Banned
I accidentally stumbled upon a gameplay video when YouTube'ing the other day and I remember this is the first video game I ever played. My family had an Atari system and I used to play this game. I watched a gameplay video and the music immediately brought me back. I think I first played it when I was about 5 years old or so.

Curious what everyone's first ever video game they played was and if anyone here played this Ninja Mission game.

Real question is can you remember playing it from an original disk or LSD WAS (NOT WAS) Menu 8?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

OoAYs14.jpeg

0SQyuWe.jpeg

UFZWSNR.jpeg

Armoured Assault on the Spectravideo SVI-328
This and a Space Invaders clone called Spectron was what started it all for me. Was great tbh and here I am 40 years later and gaming is still one of my bigger hobbies.
There was a similar game we also got for the Atari at the same time, called Combat I believe, 2 player tank game

A Sears Atari Super Pong console, but with a missing base. Correction: we had the 1976 version.
7yw4fr2.jpeg

Last edited:

panda-zebra

Banned
My older brother had this bad boy, so probably 'tennis'.

0_2490_4.jpg
I had a grey version of this my Uncle gave me as a kid, it would definitely be the first game I played. It didn't have an adaptor, we had to buy batteries to power it.

In later life I'd accumulate over 80 different Pong machines when my collecting was at its 'worst', had some really wacky stuff!

Hunt the Wumpus early 1970s on hospital mainframes
tP9s3kY.jpeg
First version of Wumpus I remember playing was a TI99/4a cart that had a graphical representation of the maze. The original must be older than me if it's early 70s.

I had a grey version of this my Uncle gave me as a kid, it would definitely be the first game I played. It didn't have an adaptor, we had to buy batteries to power it.

In later life I'd accumulate over 80 different Pong machines when my collecting was at its 'worst', had some really wacky stuff!

First version of Wumpus I remember playing was a TI99/4a cart that had a graphical representation of the maze. The original must be older than me if it's early 70s.
I am old :)

dave_d

Sea Wolf arcade (1976) was my first game I ever played. Must've been 3 or 4 years old. I stood on a chair while mom held me.
My first home console game was Asteroids or Combat on the 2600.

For me it was either that or Stunt Cycle.(It's been so long.)

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Centipede Arcade. Played it in a Mediterranean restaurant complete with a belly dancer.

I was probably four or five.

I would have an Atari 400 a year later or so with a great port of it, Missile Command, Donkey Kong, and Star Raiders.

I still love SHMUPS, platformers, and flight sims to this day!

I also played PAC-Man back then but never owned a home port until Namco Museum. The 2600 port does not count. 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom