• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first video game I ever played: Ninja Mission on Atari ST. What was yours?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I accidentally stumbled upon a gameplay video when YouTube'ing the other day and I remember this is the first video game I ever played. My family had an Atari system and I used to play this game. I watched a gameplay video and the music immediately brought me back. I think I first played it when I was about 5 years old or so.

Curious what everyone's first ever video game they played was and if anyone here played this Ninja Mission game.

willothedog

My older brother had this bad boy, so probably 'tennis'.

0_2490_4.jpg

lillars

I remember that game distinctly from when I was a kid too. The music immediately started playing in my head upon seeing this thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT: The Atari 800 version was the one I remember more:

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

No idea really, the first one I owned and played was one of the Casio like "Dragon Castle" or one of the wristwatches. Talking about owned consoles, Super Mario Bros. Talking about arcades, it was maybe Star Force or Frogger at an illegal place lol. But my first game ever was at a friend's Atari, maybe Boxing, Volley or Keystone Kapers.

Last edited:

Hudo

I think it was some clone of Boulder Dash on my Mom's old-ass Compaq laptop. But I was like 4 years old or so and did not even know what I was looking at. The first game that I actively recognized as "this is a video game" and which I've played relentlessly was Command & Conquer when I was like 6 or so. I specifically remember my father bringing home the big box of C&C + Covert Ops and installing it on the family PC (Windows 98).

So I say: Command & Conquer

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Manic Miner on Spectrum 48k

Possibly some arcade game before that but not sure.

Markio128

Pong. My dad managed to snag an Atari 2600 before anyone else in our area (they were pretty expensive back in the day) and I remember the neighbours visiting our house just to have a go. It seemed like magic being able to manipulate objects on a TV for the first time.

nkarafo

Damn... I honestly can't tell.

Probably something in the arcades. Or one of those cheap LCD handhelds.

35cent

I honestly don't know. I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. My earliest memory is watching my older brother play Turtles on the NES on my 2nd birthday but we also got an Atari ST with a shitload of games around that time. Let's just say it was Turtles on the NES.

Holammer

Sea Wolf arcade (1976) was my first game I ever played. Must've been 3 or 4 years old. I stood on a chair while mom held me.
My first home console game was Asteroids or Combat on the 2600.

Fbh

I'm not sure if it's truly the first one I ever played.
But the first game I have distinct memory of playing was the OG Duke Nukem.

DukeNukem1Titlecard.gif

Probably some Pong clone you could play on a TV, then a few Atari VCS arcade conversions like Space Invaders. I got an Atari 800XL a couple of years later, and that's by far the most memorable. Games like Encounter and Dropzone were pretty amazing in the early '80s. It was a shame Atari shit the bed, the 8 bit line was miles ahead of the competition when it released in late '78, and the designer- Jay Miner- later went on to design the Amiga which Atari (under new ownership) let go to Commodore and produced the cheaper and far inferior ST line instead.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It was something on an Atari. Can't recall what exactly... think my brother had 5 or 6 different games. Probably in like 1983 or something... pretty hard to remember. But I do recall being amazed by whatever it was.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It might had been Telstar Pong since we had that, but I dont remember if I played it. But I do remember playing some Apple II clone games like Evolution... which amazingly was made by Don Mattrick. That might had been my first game.

bumpkin

It was definitely something on Atari 2600… could have been Combat, Indiana Jones, or E.T.

And yes, I’m serious. We had E.T.

It wasn’t until Super Mario Bros. on the NES that I fell in love with video games though.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I accidentally stumbled upon a gameplay video when YouTube'ing the other day and I remember this is the first video game I ever played. My family had an Atari system and I used to play this game. I watched a gameplay video and the music immediately brought me back. I think I first played it when I was about 5 years old or so.

Curious what everyone's first ever video game they played was and if anyone here played this Ninja Mission game.

I adored this game. Thanks for bringing those memories back!!

clarky

Banned
Some home Pong knock off i think. Sometime around 1979 (ish).

To be honest i thought Videogames would be a lot more advanced now than they actually are. Things seem to have slowed down a ton.

Top Bottom