• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 360.000 units in Spain (7:1 Ps4:XBO)

d9b

Banned
Sounds about right to me. Playstation dominates every country in Europe, expect for the UK. They might be dominating in the UK right now though. Not sure about those numbers.
PS4 owns UK and Ireland since November 2013 launch , not sure about USA (but I would say same there too).

This thread has gone downhill.

Just to put some perspective here. Here in Spain when average console consumers or even non-consumers refer to any console, the words they use is "la Play".

That has happened since PSX, and let's be honest, mainly because it was a cheap console to pirate, the same as PS2, NDS or Wii. Even PS3. You only have to check how many Spanish websites and forums there are talking about piracy. And no, people here don't give a shit about homebrew, they just don't want to pay.

Hell, even on forums like Forocoches there are topics of people who organise to create shared accounts to buy digital games on the cheapest PSN stores (that's also because we usually have a 70€ MSRP).

So, Sony unintentionally introduced a new kind of consumer here, those who just want to buy a console, a few games on launch and an easy way to pirate their product with PSX. That passed down to PS2. By 2006, almost everyone who had a PS2 had a chip to play pirated games or a Disc Loader.

Nintendo's days of glory with Wii here weren't just for the gimmick here in Spain. Once again, low software ratios.

On handhelds, PSP and NDS were very easy to pirate, so... ya know the story. Games attach ratio even lower. I used to work on GAME by 2006. People came to the store just to buy Liberty City Stories and PSP-1004 with low firmwares. Guess why. PSP software sales where low as fuck. Even for NDS, who had a better ratio, were low compared to the rest of world.

CozMick

Banned
This thread has gone downhill.

Just to put some perspective here. Here in Spain when average console consumers or even non-consumers refer to any console, the words they use is "la Play".

That has happened since PSX, and let's be honest, mainly because it was a cheap console to pirate, the same as PS2, NDS or Wii. Even PS3. You only have to check how many Spanish websites and forums there are talking about piracy. And no, people here don't give a shit about homebrew, they just don't want to pay.

Hell, even on forums like Forocoches there are topics of people who organise to create shared accounts to buy digital games on the cheapest PSN stores (that's also because we usually have a 70€ MSRP).

So, Sony unintentionally introduced a new kind of consumer here, those who just want to buy a console, a few games on launch and an easy way to pirate their product with PSX. That passed down to PS2. By 2006, almost everyone who had a PS2 had a chip to play pirated games or a Disc Loader.

Nintendo's days of glory with Wii here weren't just for the gimmick here in Spain. Once again, low software ratios.

On handhelds, PSP and NDS were very easy to pirate, so... ya know the story. Games attach ratio even lower. I used to work on GAME by 2006. People came to the store just to buy Liberty City Stories and PSP-1004 with low firmwares. Guess why. PSP software sales where low as fuck. Even for NDS, who had a better ratio, were low compared to the rest of world.

How does this explain last gen when the 360 was the first console to play pirated material?

Wasn't it almost 2-3 years later that the PS3 was jailbroken?

How does this explain last gen when the 360 was the first console to play pirated material?

Wasn't it almost 2-3 years later that the PS3 was jailbroken?

Because by the time Xbox 360 and PS3 appeared, PlayStation had consumer fidelity, and despite 360 was pirated a year and a half after launch, PS3 launched when people were awaring of a new console that could be pirated (by March 2007) , PS3 even outsold Wii.

Microsoft just can't compete with Sony here, and even though, 360 sold well compared to OG Xbox.

1:7? That's hard.

brazil-v-germany-semi-final-20140708-220341-930.jpg

I have the biggest smirk on my face right now.

stryke

So it is world domination.

Is that official numbers ? I'm not talking shipped. We are yet to see official numbers from Msoft, no?

Sony and MCV gave us 1 million PS4s in UK when the milestone was reached and also the ratio against x1.

For US we have to rely on leaked numbers from NPD but they're still reliable.

yeah. The women are gorgeous and the country is beautiful. Why stay at home?

The men are assholes though. Really unpleasent bunch. There are nice dudes, obviously, but my god most of them are insuferable.

Go fuck yourself.

From an insuferable Spanish dude. ;)

just kidding, women are assholes too.

Ikael

Welp, not surprised at all. Spain has been Sonyland since the dawn of PS1, with Nintendo ruling portables with an Iron grip by its side. Traditionalism.

IMHO, this further proves that Xbox has never been a console that appeals to "western tastes". It has been an anglocentric console during most of its existance.

seph1roth

I'm spaniard and if i can agree with something about samuradinos post is about spaniard immaturity. Other than that, i'm not agree with his opinion...

Yep, we are immature, of course every country has its flaws but talking about Spain, hell...we are people that are voting corrupt politicians, we consent they steal from us...and we don't learn about our errors, that's fact.

Plus...we have, as a country, a linear way of thinking and we are very reluctant to changes...so, in this case, i think this is not Microsoft's fault, it's because Sony is the main brand in this country since PSOne...and it will be very difficult to change, as a society of habits that we are.

d9b

Banned
So Spain is lost for Microsoft this gen. I mean how do you come back from 7:1 ratio? I would like to hear what Spanish GAF thinks... What can Microsoft do in Spain at this point to claw it's way back? Opinions please ;)

So Spain is lost for Microsoft this gen. I mean how do you come back from 7:1 ratio? I would like to hear what Spanish GAF thinks... What can Microsoft do in Spain at this point to claw it's way back? Opinions please ;)

Include a free PS4 with the purchase of every XBone.

Ensirius

Mocolostrocolos explained it perfectly. The times when piracy was rampant the playstation brand benefited from it. Here in Spain the most dominant console game is Fifa. They already went with that strategy, and I'm certain this lead isn't much larger because of it. Seeing what the ratio is, they should maybe spend some of that sweet marketing money around here. Rarely see any ads from them. Except for when Fifa 15 launched.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this would cause any bias from Xbox One exclusive titles into not having Spanish language Voiceovers?

NHale

Spain was quite receptive to Nintendo too, no? Maybe not like France and Germany but quite close too.

Yes. Just like in Portugal. People like to call it Sony Land but the facts are that Nintendo actually manages to put up a decent fight against Sony in those territories.

Funny that single minded people can actually buy products from two brands: Sony and Nintendo. For some reason they don't seem to buy Xbox...

d9b

Banned
Yes. Just like in Portugal. People like to call it Sony Land but the facts are that Nintendo actually manages to put up a decent fight against Sony in those territories.

Funny that single minded people can actually buy products from two brands: Sony and Nintendo. For some reason they don't seem to buy Xbox...
That's a good point.

Shahed

Adding to the whole loyalty debate, I would say it does affect me where possible. I'm from the UK, and I would be more likely to buy British products over other countries if all else is equal. Like if I go buy some potatoes and the qualotyand price are the same between more than one option, I will go British every time.

Having said that, all else being equal is very rarely the case. So i'll just get the better product no matter where it's from

Melchiah

Yeah I think it is sad to be honest. I think after all that bullshit last year millions all over the world will never buy an Xbox One, when it's actually now a pretty amazing platform following all the updates. I know it's only human to have bias, but as I said, people just seem way too happy about any sort of negative Xbox news.

Just my view, I'm still a fan of Playstation and I'm happy the PS4 is doing so well all things considered.

Personally, I found it pretty odd that so many people (particularly in the US) pre-ordered the XB1 and bought it day one, when they still hadn't backtracked from all their initial plans. Not to mention all the PR disasters preceding the launch, and the higher price due to the mandatory Kinect. It just seemed like those people would have bought the system no matter what the corporate vision was, just because it's an Xbox.

In my case, I didn't buy the PS3 at launch due to the price and the lack of games. I only bought it when my PS2 started having problems reading discs towards the end of 2007, and I needed a new system to play games and movies on. The fact that the backwards compatible model was about to be discontinued, and that I got 60€ back due to xmas in-store campaign + RFOM, MotorStorm and two controllers were bundled in, made the purchade decision more justified. From that perspective, I can understand people buying the XB1 later on, when they got it cheaper with a bonus game or two, but at launch? That just seems more like a decision based on feelings for the brand, instead of the actual value of the platform.

spwolf

Plus...we have, as a country, a linear way of thinking and we are very reluctant to changes...so, in this case, i think this is not Microsoft's fault, it's because Sony is the main brand in this country since PSOne...and it will be very difficult to change, as a society of habits that we are.

well, PSvsXB vent from 2.2:1 on 360 to 7:1 on PS4... not linear and certainly huge difference from before - which is the point of this article.

Bueno, al fin y al cabo España y una buena parte de latinoamerica es solo de PlayStation

Well, Spain and most of latinamerica have been mostly PlayStation territory

Zephyrus

Banned
How in the hell is this even remotely True?

Nvm

0_o Yeah...not like PS4 is kicking xbone butt worldwide or anything. It could not possibly for any other reason like taste in games, better promotion, brand recognition, better support etc etc ...

You should be ashamed to even have typed that post

that just means the rest of the world is immature too.

xD

psn

Also, what's wrong with it? When you support your local market, you support people who can have jobs and the whole infrastructure stays healthy. If I can choose a local product or a foreign product and they are similar quality, I'll choose the local product. I have nothing against foreign products in general though.

I never said it's wrong :) I just said it's there.

Go look at the best looking Xbox One exclusive, then compare that game to either "The Last of Us Remastered," "inFamous: Second Son," "DriveClub," or "The Order: 1886." Identical graphically? Not. Even. Close. PS4 is the more powerful console all around. Xbox One can't compete against PS4 graphically, no matter how much you try to convince people that both of the consoles are identical graphically (which they're not).

Because Sony has the better history of supporting gamers since PS1, & that Playstation is still the biggest powerful brand than Xbox?

You should re-read my post. It was a fictional example, where both are identical. Completely.

I'll leave this here randomly (cannot make new thread) but according to Julien Chieze from Gameblog.fr, a BIG PS4 exclusive that will set fire to the internet will be announced in december.

Romain, also from Gameblog (and who has an account here, say hello Romain !) add that the announcement will indeed cause some noise and some rage. So it's easy to think this is about a third party game going PS4 only (like Bayonetta 2 for Wii U or Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox). Also, it's not Shenmue, according to him.

In december of course, we have the choice between the VGX, the whole new PlayStation Experience or even the Jump Festa if we are talking about something from Japan.

EDIT : OOPS sorrry, it's already been discussed here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910034&page=10

m@cross

Great logic. There was no Microsoft console at the time of NES, SNES, PS1. and the Xbox came way too late for the PS2 to catch up as a new console..

There is always brand loyality. Look at the market share of american cars in america and elsewhere. What does it tell you?

It tells me that you have no idea how economic trade works across borders or how saturation of a market by particular commodities influence buying decisions.

Top Bottom