• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 Digital Edition is the sweet spot for most gamers

Is PS5 Digital Edition the way to go this gen?

• Yes, price/performance KING! (PS5 DE)

Votes: 106 28.6%
  • FUCK NO, I need my disk drive! (PS5)

Votes: 197 53.2%
  • I NEED MY 12 TERAFLOPS!! (XSX)

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • 1080p is enough for me(XSS)

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

Compsiox

Banned
Nah you're just getting fucked by making the PlayStation Store your only store. I feel the same way about the Series S for the most part but at least it's much cheaper.

Last edited:
Imagine buying a console where you only have one store to buy your games XD. In 2-3 years were gonna get the inevitable threads "Why is this old game still $70?!" Don't complain about prices later when you bought a console with no competing storefronts.

Funny how on the PC side people complain there are too many stores now and get pissed when a game isn't on Steam.

Alphagear

Disk drive version for me.

Always loved physical media cause I'm a collector.

Not to forget they can be shared, returned and traded in too.
Also play used copies of games which will get cheaper.

Best version to get long term.

Last edited:

Mr. Nobody

As a console player who moved onto being a primary PC player, I'll just get the digital version as I'm used to buying digital games all the time. This hobby should only be funded with disposable funds and if I'm buying any game with the hopes of recouping a part of my initial purchase, then it wasn't worth the buying in the first place. The entire used game market abuse paved the way to micro transactions which has ruined so many franchises. I'll buy a good game and fund any worthy developer, play it and then play it again whenever I feel like it.

Honestly, both Sony and Microsoft should have gone full digital and make games that are worth buying and not disposable. Both have digital storefronts that have games on sale all the time. Don't want to pay full price, don't buy the game day one. Whether you buy it day one or not, it will be all new when you press start for the first time.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
As long as I can trade in games, that $100 difference will be made up. I can also go all digital anytime I want after. I can trade in my PS4 Pro and still play my library of PS4 games on the disc version of the 5. If my account is locked, I can play my disc based titles. If a game goes digital cheaper than trade in value of physical game I can trade my physical copy and buy it digital. I don’t have to re-download the entire physical game on the Internet if I delete a game I have a physical copy of because of lack of storage..... etc. I have likely 5-7 years to make up that $100 cost this gen.

Lethal01

You're going to pay more in the long run for games if you go digital. Sales on physical games go lower, happen more frequently, and happen earlier than waiting for digital game sales. If you don't care about sales or spending money on games, then picking the less expensive ps5 option shouldn't matter. It's a fool's choice if you ask me.

Nah, this totally depends on the persons personality.
For games I actually want I would never wait more than a week to play them so I would never have the advantage of waiting for sales in the first place.
And it will likely be a decade until I would actually want to sell it.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
More like polls showing much lower interest, and making Sony decide the production ratio.
Perhaps, but I would wager that the $100 they've sliced off the MSRP is a lot more than the cost of the BD Drive. I'm sure they would also prefer not to take much more of a loss than they already are.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Mmmm. Yeah. Ummm I’m going to have to go ahead and sorta... disagree

Locking down your purchases to whatever Sony says is not a smart move. I love picking up bargain bin games myself. Having options for the second hand market, sales at retailers, prove drops and also digital sales is always best. More options means more options to save money. The ability to buy and sell also. Trade games with friends. Etc.
Far worth the $100 extra premium. It’ll pay itself back ten fold over this generation

Thirty7ven

Banned
You get twice the hardware of the XSS at 33% higher price. PS5 DE, from specs to dual sense, makes the XSS price shine a lot dimmer.

ZehDon

As a Gamepass box, the XSS is terrific value, because you save money on hardware, and have access to the fantastic value Gamepass offers. But, if you’re after 4k, and not interested in Gamepass, it’s a terrible proposition because you’re locking yourself in to Xbox Live as your sole source of games.

The PS5 doesn’t have a Gamepass equivalent, and the PS5 classic is only $100 more. As Sony themselves showed with the PS4 Game Sharing video, the PS5 DE is a pretty terrible option that locks you in to the PS Store. With Sony jacking up their prices, being locked into the PS Store for all your content is going to cost you exponentially more than you save. Without Gamepass, the PS5 DE is a bad deal that exists so Sony can stick a lower price point in their advertising.

rapid32.5

Has anyone justified why the disc drive costs $100 nowdays ? It's like paying 500$ for 1TB SSD back in the day.

Last edited:

TonyK

Imagine buying a console where you only have one store to buy your games XD. In 2-3 years were gonna get the inevitable threads "Why is this old game still $70?!" Don't complain about prices later when you bought a console with no competing storefronts.
Have you entered in the PS store? There are different discounts all the weeks. Even if there are no other store competence they always have new offers.

Do you think Steam only started to make offers because Epic store appeared? No, they always did. Ps store is the same.

Rudius

VS Series S the PS5 also has more and faster RAM. If both were PCs no one would recommend it over PS5 digital; for 100$ extra it's a much better machine.

Have you entered in the PS store? There are different discounts all the weeks. Even if there are no other store competence they always have new offers.

Do you think Steam only started to make offers because Epic store appeared? No, they always did. Ps store is the same.
It doesn't matter whether or not your happy with the amount of sales on PSN or not, the fact is you get way less sales than any other method of buying games.

That wasn't even the main point of my post, your missing the whole picture. If you want a game on PSN but aren't willing to pay full price you just waiting like a sucker hoping it goes on sale one day. If a game is too expensive on Steam whatever go to CDkeys and get it. If a physical game is too expensive at Bestbuy whatever go to ebay and get a second hand copy.

Mr. Nobody

As a Gamepass box, the XSS is terrific value, because you save money on hardware, and have access to the fantastic value Gamepass offers. But, if you’re after 4k, and not interested in Gamepass, it’s a terrible proposition because you’re locking yourself in to Xbox Live as your sole source of games.

The PS5 doesn’t have a Gamepass equivalent, and the PS5 classic is only $100 more. As Sony themselves showed with the PS4 Game Sharing video, the PS5 DE is a pretty terrible option that locks you in to the PS Store. With Sony jacking up their prices, being locked into the PS Store for all your content is going to cost you exponentially more than you save. Without Gamepass, the PS5 DE is a bad deal that exists so Sony can stick a lower price point in their advertising.

Even more reason to invest in a PC or any other ecosystem that allows your purchases to go with you. The only reason to get a PS5 is for their limited exclusives. Since Sony doesn't believe in a proper backwards compatibility plan as a foundation of their ecosystem, their physical media is about as useful as their digital media once they move to a next generation.

salva

Imagine if you could just plug-in a USB optical drive if you wanted to later on install a disc-based game. We already know that the disc essentially just holds your license for the game and nothing else. Nothing is streamed from it in real-time to warrant a high-performance drive.

Malakhov

Banned
I need my disk drive. I don't replay games and buy used games. I'll get that price difference back in no time

mili2110

To all PS5 digital haters:
Have you ever shared a PS4 digital game with a friend?????Meaning: Splitting the costs for a game. You know you can have 1 PSN account on 2 systems, which means: Every brand new game you buy together on PS Store costs only 30$ each? E.g. You share the costs for 1 game, you buy and download the game, he then logs into your account, downloads the game on his PS4 as well and can play it with his own account.

When days gone (10$) or SOTC (10$) was on sale in the PS Store, I only paid 5$ each, because they were on sale on PS Store and we shared the costs.

MarkMe2525

I agree, but I would say it's because brand/price/performance in that order.

Edit: not insinuating there is something wrong with PS5 performance. I am trying to say all three of those aspects are going to do a good job to sell the system.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

PS5 DE and Xbox Series S are either cheaper than the Atari VCS or about the same price. Let that sink in.
Good time to be a gamer with competition.

OT
i also account share with my friend and assuming you can do that on ps5 your all good ! It’s because when a new game comes out and you both want it you Pay half each ! 😁 been doing that on PS4 for over a year now and saved a lot of money , so yeah digital is definitely the way to go for me too.

Orky

Banned
You forgot that digital games are more more expensive than ever on PS5.
in Europe they cost now 80€, which translates to $95!
so, just buy a few games and the $100 you “saved” is gone.

dalekjay

For the most gamers looks like the Series S is the go to , most of gamers aren’t hardcore and just what their fifa/cod yearly refresh, or is a secondary system. Price plus game pass it’s the absolute value for money.

For the most Hardcore games that cares about Sony exclusives, I still think DE isn’t the option ( even though is my choice when on Sony side) because those games probably wants a shimmy collection, and works for me only because the game will be 70$ but I will not buy until it goes under 20$ or my friend share the digitally with me.

And series X on paper is the best cost/performance ration but only like year 1-2 we will have a true grasp on power discrepancy

TL:DR - Ps5DE isn’t the probably best choice for most gamers as he states, XSS is cheaper Ps5 disc is favored by PlayStation fans

dalekjay

To all PS5 digital haters:
Have you ever shared a PS4 digital game with a friend?????Meaning: Splitting the costs for a game. You know you can have 1 PSN account on 2 systems, which means: Every brand new game you buy together on PS Store costs only 30$ each? E.g. You share the costs for 1 game, you buy and download the game, he then logs into your account, downloads the game on his PS4 as well and can play it with his own account.

When days gone (10$) or SOTC (10$) was on sale in the PS Store, I only paid 5$ each, because they were on sale on PS Store and we shared the costs.

That’s what I do since ps3, I have 3 friends, everyone gets what they feel like, if one will buy the others don’t buy, 1 copy two plays only together, 2 copies 4 play together online, there’s 2 psplus only.
As we play fighting games mostly, we pick like uncharted 4 for 14.99 and serves 4 people.

J3nga

Launch games are not even triple A's and those cost $70/€80, what triple A's going to cost? $90/€100? I was thinking of getting DE at first, but after seeing games prices that -$100 pales. I find DE complete opposite of the sweet spot.

Last edited:

hiro_x

I'm getting the DE, I skipped PS4 this gen not because I don't want it but I couldn't justify it when I already have a PC, OneS and Switch. I'm completely all digital on Xbox and PC (duh) and the only reason I have physical on Switch is to share my games with my son. I don't really buy game day one so I can wait for digital sales and since I didn't have a PS4, I can play PS4 games first. It was really great to have that PS plus collection announcement.

Top Bottom