• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

jonnyp

Hello Sony GAF, I have a confession to make. I'm a hardcore PC gamer but since I hooked my PS5 to the main TV in the entertainment area I haven't played on PC even once. That was like 1.5 months ago. :messenger_hushed: I'm busy with my coding project so I have very little time game anyway but I still find it shocking.

I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it's a beautiful game. But my biggest surprise is Days Gone. I bought it on a release day, played to the first Nero checkpoint and dropped it. I thought it was just average and not worth my time. I started from the beginning on PS5 and played the entire game to almost 100% completion (minus collectibles, fuck those). It has become one of my all time favorite open-world games. I fully upgraded my bike and character, reached level 3 trust with all the camps, killed all the hordes etc. etc. I will double dip on PC 100%.

If you enjoy open world games, give this one a chance. I can't believe that such a gem was just sitting on my shelf for almost 2 years untouched. Damn.

Days Gone on PS5 is one of the best games I have played in a long time.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So is it safe to use external HDDs to store PS4 games right now? I've heard there was (and probably still are) issues with external HDDs which could brick PS5 and internal SSD storage along with it, which is the last thing I wanna do.
I'm looking into buying 2TB WD P10 Game Drive just to store PS4 games on it.

SmseUtC.png

LordOfChaos

So is it safe to use external HDDs to store PS4 games right now? I've heard there was (and probably still are) issues with external HDDs which could brick PS5 and internal SSD storage along with it, which is the last thing I wanna do.

SmseUtC.png

I don't see any news of it being fixed :/

I think there may be a big update coming with lots of stuff all together, there was display stuff rumored.

TheZink

SmseUtC.png
This is exactly what I use. Works great.

LordOfChaos

Got my PS5 yesterday, at long last!

It seems very quiet so far, but I haven't stressed it beyond Astro's. If I have my ear right to the intake I could make out some coil whine, very faintly if I try, no complaints about noise from any sitting distance here.

First launch experience was still a bit buggy though, I set off a few downloads and tried to go to the menu for rest mode, wouldn't take the command, did it a few times, and after leaving it hanging for a while it eventually 'machine gunned' all the commands at once, made a beep for each one, then went to sleep, haha. Still some ways to go on software stability.

Dualsense and Astros Playroom, yep, everyone was right, it's an absolute joy. System software is obviously faster than the PS4, but I had felt like it would be faster still, but I've been downloading a lot non stop so I'm just giving it time to settle.

TheZink

Any issues with it and PS5 when it is connected to the console? How exactly are you using it with PS5 and what you did for it to work properly and without issues (if you don't have any)?
Haven’t had one issue. I just plugged it in. Formatted it for the PS5 and download my games. I’ve used it for about 3 weeks and not had one problem

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I am having some networking issues. It gives up on downloads in rest mode with a DNS error. I tried setting manual DNS servers with 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, working a little better, but it still seems to give up on downloads a bit. I read switching to 2.4GHz helps, but that's giving up the new AC and AX speeds.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Haven’t had one issue. I just plugged it in. Formatted it for the PS5 and download my games. I’ve used it for about 3 weeks and not had one problem
Okay, one more question. Is it necessary to safely remove external HDD/SSD before turning off the PS5 (i'm not using rest mode and never will cuz I don't need it), or you just leave it plugged in all the time without safely removing it from the system? I just want to avoid any potential problems:messenger_relieved:

And question to everyone who's using external HDDs, did you had problems with broken game shortcuts after deleting games (which were installed from BD disk) from external HDD/SSD? 👇

ujKHvMQ.jpg
That's not my photo, I just found it on 4PDA forum along with the problem.

Last edited:

TheZink

Okay, one more question. Is it necessary to safely remove external HDD/SSD before turning off the PS5 (i'm not using rest mode and never will cuz I don't need it), or you just leave it plugged in all the time without safely removing it from the system? I just want to avoid any potential problems:messenger_relieved:

And question to everyone who's using external HDDs, did you had problems with broken game shortcuts after deleting games (which were installed from BD disk) from external HDD/SSD? 👇

ujKHvMQ.jpg
That's not my photo, I just found it on 4PDA forum along with the problem.
I’ve used it in rest mode since I got the PS5. Haven’t unplugged it so I’m not sure.

LordOfChaos

The game versioning and store situation has me feeling dumb. My friend has all of the Destiny 2 DLCs including Beyond Light, but he's on a PS4. I played the first mission of Beyond Light, but then the game started acting like I didn't have it. I checked the add-on page for it and it seemed to have an option to buy it, implying I didn't have it.

If someone buys the DLCs on the PS4 version, do I have to use the PS4 version, and not download the free PS5 upgrade? Asking before I delete and re-download again.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I got lucky in the queue yesterday. I was on an endless phone call at work when I saw Wario64's tweet about PS Direct opening on my phone, so it was just fortuitous timing. I had given up trying to find one after the Gran Turismo delay.

Not sure what I'll be playing on it for now other than GT Sport in 4k. Maybe I'll finally try God of War? I'll get The Show in a month if the PS5 version turns out to be a major upgrade over last gen.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do you install DLC on PlayStation 5?
I saw that there was free DLC for Persona 5 Royal (a PS4 game) and it says "Purchased" in the store, but there's no option to actually download and install it.
I went into the system options to see if the DLC had somehow installed but only the main game is installed.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How do you install DLC on PlayStation 5?
I saw that there was free DLC for Persona 5 Royal (a PS4 game) and it says "Purchased" in the store, but there's no option to actually download and install it.
I went into the system options to see if the DLC had somehow installed but only the main game is installed.
You can do that on the home screen of the game, just scroll down to see DLC content and you can download it from there if PS5 won't start downloading automatically. That's how I installed Spider-Man DLCs after activating DLC code which came with GOTY edition. Or alternatively you can try "Manage Game Content" option - just press options button on the game's icon and you can find it there.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've just noticed all these OT moved to Communities from gaming.
I want gaming topics in gaming section. so weird... was it always like that ?!

Yes.

The gaming forum is kept fresh with threads related to recent news and games while OTs past a certain point get moved to the community forum.

This has the side effect that as it removes the thread from the spotlight, only posters that are interested on the topic join in so discussion tends to stay positive and constructive.

Community threads are one of the best things about GAF.

I encourage you to explore this section to find threads about things you’re interested on. There’s an index pinned at the top of the community forum.

Last edited:

ManaByte

SmseUtC.png

I don't see any news of it being fixed :/

I think there may be a big update coming with lots of stuff all together, there was display stuff rumored.

There never was an issue. I used an external from day 1 with zero problems.

What happened was people were having issues at launch and had no idea what they were so they made up problems in their mind, spread them around social media, and they officially became FUD that people believed were real.

If there was a problem with external drives bricking systems it would've been fixed in one of the updates by now.

That's why you don't get technical support from normies who let roaches live in their PS4s.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I never had a Pro, so the visual upgrades to 4k/60 on The Show and GT Sport are really mind blowing. Love it!

Banjo64

cumsessed
The missus has given me the go ahead to buy the digital this year.

Putting my Horizon PS4 play through on hold.

I’m not in a rush, but hopefully by September/October time I’ll just be able to buy one without all the bollocks.

Can’t friggin wait. I really like the look when it’s placed vertically, with the side panel facing forward.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

There never was an issue. I used an external from day 1 with zero problems.

What happened was people were having issues at launch and had no idea what they were so they made up problems in their mind, spread them around social media, and they officially became FUD that people believed were real.

If there was a problem with external drives bricking systems it would've been fixed in one of the updates by now.

That's why you don't get technical support from normies who let roaches live in their PS4s.

Just because you didn't encounter a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exists. When bugs like this get out in the wild, it's usually because only a subset of conditions create the problem, who knows what.

LordOfChaos

I miss the social feed actually.

I know they must have had data that said few were using it, but even without interacting much it was nice to see what everyone was up to at a glance. I actually just went to post some screenshots and...No where to put them.

xrnzaaas

I miss the social feed actually.

I know they must have had data that said few were using it, but even without interacting much it was nice to see what everyone was up to at a glance. I actually just went to post some screenshots and...No where to put them.
Out of my 60+ friends on PSN only one guy was actually posting something, like comments on platinum trophies. The rest was just stuff added automatically by the console mixed with ads from Sony. Nothing of value was lost.

Out of my 60+ friends on PSN only one guy was actually posting something, like comments on platinum trophies. The rest was just stuff added automatically by the console mixed with ads from Sony. Nothing of value was lost.
That is my feeling too. Not enough people used it and it ended up just being a swarm of automated stuff and ads. I haven't missed it once.

Exede

I'm stupid, rushed a buy yesterday when the console was available here in germany... and bought the digital version, it'll arrive romorrow. I wanted the disc one...

LordOfChaos

I'm stupid, rushed a buy yesterday when the console was available here in germany... and bought the digital version, it'll arrive romorrow. I wanted the disc one...

Lols, I intended to buy the digital one but paid some extra for the disk one because they seem to have made 10x more of it and it was what I could grab on time

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finally got mine and I got to say I am already sold on this thing. I wasn't hyped at all for this new gen but man, in a couple of hours I was proved dead wrong.

First of all the UI is super clean and snappy, loved what they did with it. Just miss my FFVII Remake theme, but even so I can totally live with stock theme.

Controller is fantastic and Astrobot really helps showing what they envision for it.

And then the games. Tested Astrobot, Spider-Man Remake, Division 2 and Genshin Impact, the leap in performance was expected but all run extremely good.

Still need to tackle PS5 games like Demon Souls or Miles Morales.

The true game changer for me is the controller and the 4K60fps. Hope that becomes the absolute mode.

Last edited:
Is it just me or do PS4 games look ever so slightly better on PS5? I suppose it could have been the HDMI cable I was using on my ps4pro but it looks like possibly HDR is working better on the 5 and the colors have a bit more depth to them?

Could be placebo effect as well for games that I havent played in a while but I swear something is different here.

LordOfChaos

Is it just me or do PS4 games look ever so slightly better on PS5? I suppose it could have been the HDMI cable I was using on my ps4pro but it looks like possibly HDR is working better on the 5 and the colors have a bit more depth to them?

Could be placebo effect as well for games that I havent played in a while but I swear something is different here.

Which ones?

If there's a difference I would think it's more in games that weren't HDR on PS4, because PS4 outputs SDR content, but the PS5 always outputs HDR and tone maps it for SDR. So on an HDR TV that allows higher peaks in HDR mode, it may look better outputting an SDR game in HDR on the PS5 than a pure SDR path all the way on PS4 because it's using the TV better.

Aside...The PS5 always looked so big and bulbous in pictures and videos, and it is very big, but, I also kind of love how it looks in my TV stand? It's just this white, softly glowing, cool and quiet alien monolith, it works a lot better in person for me at least.

Last edited:
Which ones?

If there's a difference I would think it's more in games that weren't HDR on PS4, because PS4 outputs SDR content, but the PS5 always outputs HDR and tone maps it for SDR. So on an HDR TV that allows higher peaks in HDR mode, it may look better outputting an SDR game in HDR on the PS5 than a pure SDR path all the way on PS4 because it's using the TV better.

Aside...The PS5 always looked so big and bulbous in pictures and videos, and it is very big, but, I also kind of love how it looks in my TV stand? It's just this white, softly glowing, cool and quiet alien monolith, it works a lot better in person for me at least.

Most recently Dirt Rally 2.0 and RDR2.

Is this the wrong place to ask?
I always wait at least 6 months to a year before I purchase a "new" 🎮 ... With that said... Whats the best deals I can get on a new or used PS5 right now... Should I wait longer... Im sure the gouging isn't completely gone.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is everyone still having the stupid issue where if you move a game to external storage it won't update? I thought it might have been in the last firmware. But the CP2077 update keeps failing which means copying back and forth :/

xrnzaaas

Is this the wrong place to ask?
I always wait at least 6 months to a year before I purchase a "new" 🎮 ... With that said... Whats the best deals I can get on a new or used PS5 right now... Should I wait longer... Im sure the gouging isn't completely gone.
You're not gonna buy a used one unless someone wants to get rid of a console with the coil whine issue. I think it's much easier to hunt down a new one right now even without the extra stuff bundled with it.

As for if it's the right moment to buy the hardware - it depends on what you're playing. It'll still months for the first real exclusives to show up, but you can enjoy other games in 4K and/or 60fps. And it's definitely cheaper to buy a PS5 than to build a gaming PC right now.

You're not gonna buy a used one unless someone wants to get rid of a console with the coil whine issue. I think it's much easier to hunt down a new one right now even without the extra stuff bundled with it.

As for if it's the right moment to buy the hardware - it depends on what you're playing. It'll still months for the first real exclusives to show up, but you can enjoy other games in 4K and/or 60fps. And it's definitely cheaper to buy a PS5 than to build a gaming PC right now.
Thanks... Yeah my ex used the govt cheese and got my son a gaming PC... It was over a g. :)

I want him to have a PS5 when he's here... I didnt know about the coil issue.

Thanks again.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just beat Until Dawn for the first time. Freaking awesome.

I feel like there are so many many more branches to see. I missed like 80% of the trophies lol

I think I lost 2, Josh and another girl in the mines, her death was just about our of no where.

Great game needing another play through soon I think

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Just beat Until Dawn for the first time. Freaking awesome.

I feel like there are so many many more branches to see. I missed like 80% of the trophies lol

I think I lost 2, Josh and another girl in the mines, her death was just about our of no where.

Great game needing another play through soon I think
Yeah the game's like that. Some deaths and are pretty unexpected, especially if they're not a result of a failed QTE. Probably very unlikely to have everyone survive during the first playthrough. Until Dawn is pretty replayable. It's not a very non linear game, but there's enough of different decisions and scenes to make you want to finish it at least twice.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yeah the game's like that. Some deaths and are pretty unexpected, especially if they're not a result of a failed QTE. Probably very unlikely to have everyone survive during the first playthrough. Until Dawn is pretty replayable. It's not a very non linear game, but there's enough of different decisions and scenes to make you want to finish it at least twice.
Can you change the ending? One particular character has a post credit scene that is kinda neat but can it be changed?

xrnzaaas

Can you change the ending? One particular character has a post credit scene that is kinda neat but can it be changed?
If I remember right there's only one available post credits scene. Also the finale always takes place in the same location even if some characters were killed off earlier. What you do in the finale affects what happens to the people who are still alive and what the survivors might say during the credits interviews.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I haven't found anything.

I really enjoy elder scrolls and fallout games. Have we heard if there will be any similar type games made for the ps5, even hinted at?

Obviously nothing firm, just something to watch for.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So fellows, just got my first crash and it was a weird one, because my soundbar throw out a insanely loud buzzer sound.

I've search the web and it seems more come than I thought, still what's up with that?

Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales and Cold War pop up more related with it.

I Got it on Spider-Man Remastered... while sitting on pause menu.

I had dozens and dozens of crashes during my PS4 years but this one with the buzz was weird.

I know for sure the sound didn't came from the console itself, because I turn off the soundbar and the sound went away.

Seems game related.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I’m playing through Sackboy and its pretty damn good and works well with the dualsense. It’s not quite Astros as far as dualsense uses but that could be because it’s cross gen.

kingfish

I’m playing through Sackboy and its pretty damn good and works well with the dualsense. It’s not quite Astros as far as dualsense uses but that could be because it’s cross gen.
I've been thinking on getting Sackboy. How is it content wise? Are the levels big?

Top Bottom