• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

kingfish

Pretty good. Doesn’t feel repetitive. It’s not LBP though. No creation tools. Level wise, most are and need to be explored and then there’s time trials. It feels bigger than LBP because of the changes.
Hey, that's great to hear! I've been looking for another platformer to fill that Astro's Playroom hole in my heart and I used to play more created content on LBP rather than making it myself. Thanks!

Anyone else feeling a bit annoyed with all the doom and gloom posting recently? Like... I don’t know about you, but I have enough shitty stuff to deal with, with COVID lockdowns and all that... games and discussing games are one of the few nice things that I love that I can do right now.

I’m loving my PS5, I’m loving the games that have released so far... super excited for Rift Apart and Horizon. Really excited and optimistic about the upcoming PS first party slate over the generation. I’m also enjoying my XSX and GP sub, plus my Switch occasionally for Pokémon and Mario.

Where did all this Sony is doomed, unrest in Sony’s studios (Jason Schreier), arrogant Sony is back etc come from?

LordOfChaos

Anyone else feeling a bit annoyed with all the doom and gloom posting recently? Like... I don’t know about you, but I have enough shitty stuff to deal with, with COVID lockdowns and all that... games and discussing games are one of the few nice things that I love that I can do right now.

I’m loving my PS5, I’m loving the games that have released so far... super excited for Rift Apart and Horizon. Really excited and optimistic about the upcoming PS first party slate over the generation. I’m also enjoying my XSX and GP sub, plus my Switch occasionally for Pokémon and Mario.

Where did all this Sony is doomed, unrest in Sony’s studios (Jason Schreier), arrogant Sony is back etc come from?

Yeah, it's been a few months, I'm expecting the PS5 to last 5-7 years, am I really that fussed yet? Sony has proven themselves with amazing first party lineups, and launch year is usually light, it hasn't even been a year yet. Just chill and enjoy things as they come, sheesh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You look like a burrito with that tinfoil hat. /jk
Are users like Bryank75 Bryank75 and SlimySnake SlimySnake suddenly part of XBox marketing. I don't think they are aware of their new responsibilities. A lot of the doom and gloom you read here is, also starts here. Mostly by someone posting some stupid twitter crap that no one would notice or care about.
yRbilfO.gif

No worries, you're a fun poster. I've been reading GAF for quite a while and you either praise Sony or they are the worst thing ever. You sometimes like to see the bad things too much. This makes you part of the FrankWza coined term "MarXeting". You're always welcome where the grass is greener.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No worries, you're a fun poster. I've been reading GAF for quite a while and you either praise Sony or they are the worst thing ever. You sometimes like to see the bad things too much. This makes you part of the FrankWza coined term "MarXeting". You're always welcome where the grass is greener.
I do the same for Microsoft though. I am harsh because I care. If I didnt, I wouldnt even talk about Sony or Microsoft. How often have you really seen me talk about Nintendo or PC gaming? I remember posting one thread about Nintendo in the last 3 years. I couldnt care less about them or PC gaming.

Sony and MS are in a position to really take gaming to the next level. Both have lots of money and they can take risks third party publishers arent willing to take. They finally have the tech. Ray tracing, crazy CPUs, powerful GPUs and SSD. They need to be held to a higher standard. I know I am being extremely critical which is why I go out of my way to praise them when they do get something right like their launch lineups, and the innovations in the controller.

The biggest problem I have with both MS and Sony is that they are penny pinching when they should be investing. The old Sony knew this and thats why they had such massive success with the PS4. I remember people telling me that exclusives dont sell consoles and that the masses dont care about exclusives and thats why the PS4 will fail just like the PS3. We now know that its not true. Phil has come to realize this and is now finally investing in building up a first party. Sony isnt. or at least it looks like they arent.

I have said this before. if sony comes out guns blazing at E3 and says he look yes we are making Horizon, gow, and tlou factions, but here are three more new games from second teams over at ND, SSM and GG then i will be happy. I dont want them to go out there and spend $7.5 billion buying ubisoft or take2. Just spend a $100-200 million more doubling the size of their studios. They should be able to afford it and double their output. It's just something they have to do in this day and age when games take 4-6 years to make. Why GG has taken 4+ years to make a cross gen sequel is beyond me. If it doesnt come out this year, a last gen sequel is going to take 5 years. Whats going to happen when they work on a new IP for next gen? 7 years? Do we have to wait till 2028 to get a new game from GG? I dont see how the grass is greener on that side.

I do the same for Microsoft though. I am harsh because I care. If I didnt, I wouldnt even talk about Sony or Microsoft. How often have you really seen me talk about Nintendo or PC gaming? I remember posting one thread about Nintendo in the last 3 years. I couldnt care less about them or PC gaming.
Fair point. Just seems that you sometimes take the decisions of those corporations too personally, like they make their choices just to spite you.
Sony and MS are in a position to really take gaming to the next level. Both have lots of money and they can take risks third party publishers arent willing to take. They finally have the tech. Ray tracing, crazy CPUs, powerful GPUs and SSD. They need to be held to a higher standard. I know I am being extremely critical which is why I go out of my way to praise them when they do get something right like their launch lineups, and the innovations in the controller.

The biggest problem I have with both MS and Sony is that they are penny pinching when they should be investing. The old Sony knew this and thats why they had such massive success with the PS4. I remember people telling me that exclusives dont sell consoles and that the masses dont care about exclusives and thats why the PS4 will fail just like the PS3. We now know that its not true. Phil has come to realize this and is now finally investing in building up a first party. Sony isnt. or at least it looks like they arent.
MS has a lot of caching up to do, thus the heavy investing. Sony maybe feels like they don't need to yet. But on the other hand I'm sure the development of the new VR set and VR controller didn't come cheap.

I have said this before. if sony comes out guns blazing at E3 and says he look yes we are making Horizon, gow, and tlou factions, but here are three more new games from second teams over at ND, SSM and GG then i will be happy. I dont want them to go out there and spend $7.5 billion buying ubisoft or take2. Just spend a $100-200 million more doubling the size of their studios. They should be able to afford it and double their output. It's just something they have to do in this day and age when games take 4-6 years to make. Why GG has taken 4+ years to make a cross gen sequel is beyond me. If it doesnt come out this year, a last gen sequel is going to take 5 years. Whats going to happen when they work on a new IP for next gen? 7 years? Do we have to wait till 2028 to get a new game from GG? I dont see how the grass is greener on that side.
Sony at E3 looks like it wont happen. I guess the development cycles get longer and longer each generation so cross gen will likely be with us for a bit.

This is getting way off topic, sorry.

Mr Hyde

Very pleased with the new update. The ability to customize your digital game library works wonders for my ocd. Now I can finally get rid of all the demos that are stored.

And extended storage for PS5 games is a bless. Just plugged in a 1tb storage device I had for the PS4. It's nice to be able to separate the different generations also.

It's also cool that you can decide which moment it will save when you get a trophy. I have it set for Platinums only, so I can store those precious memories and look back at it fondly.

There is an update for your DualSense controller as well so don't forget to plug it in a get the newest firmware!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is hdr toggle to disable hdr for sdr games now? So previously all games had forced hdr? But like... Auto hdr or just sdr emulation?

Mr Hyde

I got a noob question about external hard drive.

If I play a PS4 game on PS5 through my extended hdd storage device, I don't get any of the upgrades on games, like 60 fps, higher resolution, faster loading etc that's been patched in several games?

Can I plug in an external SSD storage device and play PS4 games with all the benefits of the PS5 such as faster loading, higher fps, resolution etc?

Anybody who knows?

FrankWza

If I play a PS4 game on PS5 through my extended hdd storage device, I don't get any of the upgrades on games, like 60 fps, higher resolution, faster loading etc that's been patched in several games?

Can I plug in an external SSD storage device and play PS4 games with all the benefits of the PS5 such as faster loading, higher fps, resolution etc?

Anybody who knows?
You get everything except the faster loading compared to the internal SSD. I’m not sure if your drive and connection make a difference in load time though I would assume if you have an external SSD it will load faster than an mech drive. Maybe the connection speed will make a difference in load time as well.
But you’re supposed to get all the benefits no matter which external drive you use

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Anybody who knows?

You still get all the upgrades to PS4 games, it'll just load slower. It still may load faster overall compared to a PS4 though because the new compression is a big part of it, see GoT and I think tlou 2 before and after a patch iirc

Last edited:

FrankWza

You still get all the upgrades to PS4 games, it'll just load slower. It still may load faster overall compared to a PS4 though because the new compression is a big part of it, see GoT and I think tlou 2 before and after a patch iirc
I’ve only tried with an SSD connected to a sata to usb cable. Is there a difference between an external standard HDD and an SSD?

Mr Hyde

You get everything except the faster loading compared to the internal SSD. I’m not sure if your drive and connection make a difference in load time though I would assume if you have an external SSD it will load faster than an mech drive. Maybe the connection speed will make a difference in load time as well.
But you’re supposed to get all the benefits no matter which external drive you use

That sounds great. Thank you for answering.

xrnzaaas

My PS5 must've hated yesterday's update, because I've noticed (or rather heard) coil whine today. Maybe it's gone louder since I purchased it? Because I own the console for about 2 months. It's more noticeable in some games (like Oddworld Soulstorm), less in others.

LordOfChaos

My PS5 must've hated yesterday's update, because I've noticed (or rather heard) coil whine today. Maybe it's gone louder since I purchased it? Because I own the console for about 2 months. It's more noticeable in some games (like Oddworld Soulstorm), less in others.

It's strange that you mention that. I only noticed that rattling coil whine noise for the first time yesterday after the update and playing Village. I thought it was the scene in the game, but if you noticed the same thing after the update too I wonder if it changed power delivery for some reason?

Granted, my ear was right by it to check, it's still a quiet system overall and not that I'd be arsed to swap it unless it got much worse

xrnzaaas

It's strange that you mention that. I only noticed that rattling coil whine noise for the first time yesterday after the update and playing Village. I thought it was the scene in the game, but if you noticed the same thing after the update too I wonder if it changed power delivery for some reason?

Granted, my ear was right by it to check, it's still a quiet system overall and not that I'd be arsed to swap it unless it got much worse
The best way to find out if it's coil whine or not is to put your ear to the side of the console and switch between the game and the dashboard. It should be much quieter or dead quiet in the console's menu.

xrnzaaas

Quick question - is the console turning on automatically after turning on the tv the result of HDMI Device Link being enabled? Seems like it's yet another "quirk" of the new firmware update. :/

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Quick question - is the console turning on automatically after turning on the tv the result of HDMI Device Link being enabled? Seems like it's yet another "quirk" of the new firmware update. :/
Thank you! Thought something was acting up. It’s never done this before since this update and well annoying if I actually choose the wrong HDMI or linger on it for too long when scrolling through my inputs and the bloody console turns on.

Is there an option to disable?

Edit: yes it can.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Thank you! Thought something was acting up. It’s never done this before since this update and well annoying if I actually choose the wrong HDMI or linger on it for too long when scrolling through my inputs and the bloody console turns on.

Is there an option to disable?

Edit: yes it can.
Yep turning off HDMI Device Link seems to have solved the problem. It must've come with the firmware update, because I'm pretty sure I've turned on the tv before the PS5 many times before the update.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hey any idea how to calibrate HDR on lg oled ? (I have C1).
The only question is to calbrate HDR in HGIG or in Dynamic Tone Mapping.
I use Dynamic Tone mapping on pc a it's a bit brighter and there is NO hgig support on pc.

I've noticed that when I am calibrating with Dynamic Tone Mapping ON, I can see more of the controller outline in ps5 calibration menu and I need to tick two first brightness panels much more than with HGIG.

I know that barely any ps4/ps5 games support hgig so running DTM ON seems like a safer option to me if I want to use my tv fully but is it ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hey any idea how to calibrate HDR on lg oled ? (I have C1).
The only question is to calbrate HDR in HGIG or in Dynamic Tone Mapping.
I use Dynamic Tone mapping on pc a it's a bit brighter and there is NO hgig support on pc.

I've noticed that when I am calibrating with Dynamic Tone Mapping ON, I can see more of the controller outline in ps5 calibration menu and I need to tick two first brightness panels much more than with HGIG.

I know that barely any ps4/ps5 games support hgig so running DTM ON seems like a safer option to me if I want to use my tv fully but is it ?

True TV calibration is beyond me, but did exactly what Vincent recommended and can't be any happier:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
True TV calibration is beyond me, but did exactly what Vincent recommended and can't be any happier:

I don't fully trust him as he goes purely by the book in which case HGIG would be better but HGIG is useless if no games support it... then You are leaving your tv brightness on the table.
But the ps5 hdr calibration is interesting. With DTM ON, You can click way higher on white patter because DTM is dynamically adjusting.
Some people say to adjust ps5 hdr with OFF or HGIG and then after calibration switch to DTM ON... that also is questionable... Maybe it is good that we can click much higher and until DTM is no longer able to compensate? i's confusing to me

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't fully trust him as he goes purely by the book in which case HGIG would be better but HGIG is useless if no games support it... then You are leaving your tv brightness on the table.
But the ps5 hdr calibration is interesting. With DTM ON, You can click way higher on white patter because DTM is dynamically adjusting.
Some people say to adjust ps5 hdr with OFF or HGIG and then after calibration switch to DTM ON... that also is questionable... Maybe it is good that we can click much higher and until DTM is no longer able to compensate? i's confusing to me

Not sure, really. I just clipped them and the image looked perfectly calibrated vs not clipping them.

FrankWza

If you have DeS, there’s a good spot to calibrate before the maneater fight. Left of the steps it’s really dark and that’s a good way to check for crush and brightness

mitchman

Gold Member
Yes, expected with HDMI CEC enabled. Wasn't there some options to disable this in the latest firmware?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Ok I'm definitely thinking now that the last big update increased the fan profile, is anyone else noticing this? I could only hear the fan on a few games menus before, but now I can make it out already in various games.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ve been playing Control Ultimate Edition and I hate to say it but no, I haven’t noticed any increases to fan noise.

Here I am wondering if I should get PS5 or not. I can find them here with no problem, but it's a bit expensive. And I'm afraid that, since this is a territory where the PS5 is still not sold officially, I can have problems if any problem arises with the PS5.

I really want to go back to some more mature gaming experiences. Never played TLOU Part 2, GoT, GoW, FF7 Remake. I had a PS4 before moving here but had to sell it at the time, leaving me only with a Switch (that I barely touch).

Seeing everyone having fun with one, but my cheap bastard brain tells me not to :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Here I am wondering if I should get PS5 or not. I can find them here with no problem, but it's a bit expensive. And I'm afraid that, since this is a territory where the PS5 is still not sold officially, I can have problems if any problem arises with the PS5.

I really want to go back to some more mature gaming experiences. Never played TLOU Part 2, GoT, GoW, FF7 Remake. I had a PS4 before moving here but had to sell it at the time, leaving me only with a Switch (that I barely touch).

Seeing everyone having fun with one, but my cheap bastard brain tells me not to :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If you can get one I would. There's a few truly next gen versions of games worth playing now, and several worth playing since they received next gen patches (and they're "free" with the PS+ Collection). By the time you finish them the official PS5 versions of games like the FF7 remake and Final Fantasy 14 will be out.

If you can get one I would. There's a few truly next gen versions of games worth playing now, and several worth playing since they received next gen patches (and they're "free" with the PS+ Collection). By the time you finish them the official PS5 versions of games like the FF7 remake and Final Fantasy 14 will be out.
Yeah I'm thinking about it. Just really afraid if Sony here would offer support if something happened to it, because it's not sold here officially.

NickFire

Well, I finally got one. And to my absolute delight, the load times really are essentially non-existent. I keep switching games just because I can. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also gonna pat myself on the back. I waited to play Spiderman all last generation, expecting it would be an early remaster. Please let it snow or rain this weekend, cause I've been waiting for this a long long time.

Top Bottom