• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Tripolygon

Banned
Developers loved GNM. I wish it wasn't NDA'ed to high hell but I'm curious to hear what it's successor brings. It's supposed to be even easier to use while retaining the low overhead access.
GNM
tAFnXkf.jpg

bitbydeath

Good point, but IDK the virtual surround created by Sony. Most of Samsung TVs do virtual surround wiht is a mix bag.

Modified the existing spec listing with red text 'with SMT'

And added the following text under audio to cover off Virtual surround -

Going forward, Sony is optimistic about great results from virtual surround from TV speakers and sound bars, with multi-speaker systems also due for support.

However, the ambition of the surround audio system is such that we may not see its potential fully realised for some time.

Along with updating the references with the Eurogamer link.

EDIT: Let me know if anything isn't covered off enough.

Last edited:
Cross-post from other thread. Best interview I have read so far. It's Ali Salehi, Rendering Engineer of Crytek. Seems extremely bullish on PS5. Here's the (not so good) Google translated version:

Original:

Edit: This part deserves to be highlighted:

Holy shit this interview is not the kind you want getting out to the public.

• LOL
Reactions: CJY

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Cross-post from other thread. Best interview I have read so far. It's Ali Salehi, Rendering Engineer of Crytek. Seems extremely bullish on PS5. Here's the (not so good) Google translated version:

Original:

Edit: This part deserves to be highlighted:
Wow, hearing the Series X ram set up being compared to the base Xbox One is not good lol it sounds like the PS5 software stack is way more easier for developers to use

Edit: Sorry I forgot, no comparisons here

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Yeah, I think there is absolutely no doubt that PS5 will get the same continued 3rd-party support this coming gen. Cerny has gotten time to triangle down to less than a month, so he clearly wasn't lying when he said he listened to devs again. Those are some strong words in that interview from a Crytek dev. I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten similar such interviews in English yet to be honest... Just lots of Twitter/forum stuff. Ali Salehi here did a very good job of abiding by the NDA while also giving his honest opinions. It seems to be a rare occurence with English sources. Any idea why?
That was an enlightening read, I'm glad you posted it 👍

Hobbygaming

I’m not going to lie, this is the kind of article that needs to be posted on REE too. This isn’t some clickbait article, this is a developer from Crytek that has weight and is the first public speaking from the dev community that the PS5 is the better console overall.
I had to make sure he was really a Crytek developer after reading that lol and yeah he's legit!

joe_zazen

I’m not going to lie, this is the kind of article that needs to be posted on REE too. This isn’t some clickbait article, this is a developer from Crytek that has weight and is the first public speaking from the dev community that the PS5 is the better console overall.

it really does.

INC

i see pitchforks in his future

CJY

Banned
I agree. Crytek's name holds some gravitas. They basically single-handedly supported the whole Xbox brand at the beginning of this generation. I hope they can come back strong this gen.

I'm not on REEE, maybe you should post it there.

EDIT: I see you mention it's already posted, well done :)

Last edited:
Wow look how quiet it is without xbox fans shit posting here.

Back on topic, I think the Tempest Engine will be used by the third parties in games for better physics, animation and post process effects as it is equal in power to PS4 CPU on its own. Even if they use half of its power for generic sound stuff, the other half is free to be used just like Mr. Cerny has said.

What do you guys expect from the controller? Mostly the same, just minor enhancements (like what MS is doing)? I like the DS4 a lot, other then mediocre battery life. It’s probably my favorite controller of any recent console (last two gens)

Id like to see the speaker stay. I like the touchpad too even if it wasn’t used often enough

Last edited:
But I have to ask 2 off-topic questions:
1. What is Popcorn Hour? I've seen it mentioned a few times now and I have no clue what it is.
2. What is the appeal of all these pixel art games? It's not just a PS thing, we have them on the Xbox too and I hate them.
1) popcorn hour is a box that lets you organize all your movies and that has a very good processors for decoding anything up to 1080p. Very good experience but another box under the tv. So if ps5 could replace it...
2) i dont like pixel art games as such. I loved my amiga but not fond of going back to 240*300... I just love art, and 3d can't express all the subtel strokes of a pen. So with a good artist, 2d@4k can produce a marvel.

What do you guys expect from the controller? Mostly the same, just minor enhancements (like what MS is doing)? I like the DS4 a lot, other then mediocre battery life. It’s probably my favorite controller of any recent console (last two gens)

Id like to see the speaker stay. I like the touchpad too even if it wasn’t used often enough

I d like as you better battery life, possibility to turn off this annoying led, and near 0 lag.

Fake

I'll be honest, I not expecting much from Dualshock 5, besides better battery life. Maybe a premium build quality and of course the back button.

edit: maybe they realocate the 'option' button because is quite annoying press him. IMO, they should remove the 'option' button and use the touchbutton as a replacement.

Last edited:

BrentonB

I'm actually very curious to see if the improved rumble/haptics of the DS5 combined with 3D audio make a demonstrable leap forward in game immersion.

Amazing OP.

Very excited to see more of a breakdown on the SSD and see it translated to game development. I can't wait to see the first explosion of next gen games and what the studios have in store for the PS5.

Where is my new Killzone and Resistance? Also, I'm excited to see what will the launch lineup look like.

HeadsUp7Up

I'm ready for them to reveal the thing already. It would actually be better for them to announce pricing and release date now so folks can at least target when to have their money saved up. With the way jobs and the economy are now people will need more than a couple of months to save up for a system and a couple of games.

Lethal01

SSD looks to be a huge game changer for both the consoles. being able to switch from one area to another in just a moment is huge.
When loading only takes 2 seconds all you need is a little door knock animation in an open world game and you can have enough time to load in a huge expansive and elaborate level.

Handy Fake

Very much looking forward to it.
It's already a sterling upgrade over last gen as it is, but what really excites me is that I don't have a fucking clue just what's it doing or how it'll perform.
The SSD and bespoke architecture is absolutely fascinating to the point where, while you can have a vague idea by looking at numbers, you just can't really understand the actual metrics of the system and how it all comes together in practice.
Cerny's no idiot.

Top Bottom