• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Mr Hyde

I've now made room for PS5 on the shelves and TV-bench. I will buy it when Elden Ring drops, which should be around March/April going past previous releases from From Software. That will give me time to read impressions from early adopters.

I hope the PS5 is rather small and quiet, as I'm tired of these bulky and ugly bricks that Sony put out in recent years. As for games at launch, I don't expect much. Sonys launch lineup has always been crap for the most part, but I hope that Horizon 2 and Demon's Souks Remake is a reality. But I doubt it.

I will also upgrade to a new TV since my current is now 10 years old. Perfectly functional, but kinda obsolete regarding certain features, and I wanna future proof my gaming for at least another 10 years.

I have already put away savings for all purchases. Console, games and tv. I'm all set for next-generation.

Going forward, PS5 and Switch (and hopefully a successor) will be my consoles of choice, as I believe they will cover all of my bases.

Switch will be for Nintendo-exclusives/retro/indie/ Jrpgs while PS5 will be for Sony-exclusives/AAA-blockbuster/multiplats /PS4-stuff that don't come to Switch/DVD, blu-ray, multimedia, streaming, online

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Wired article 2019

When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

Did someone post this yet?

Grinchy

Banned
Wired article 2019

When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

Back in 2019, yeah haha

There was even a post with the video of it being shown. And as a bonus, DynamiteCop posts a million times to let you know why it doesn't matter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Three

Wired article 2019

No because this was from ages ago before the big V devkits. The speed given at GDC is final more than likely.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wired article 2019

I mean... 5400hdd vs 7200hdd vs sata SSD vs NVME(pcie x3) vs NVME(pcie x4)... ANYTHIGN would be an upgrade from 5400 drives. I bet that spiderman demo would work super fast years ago on pc

Hellgardia

Even though I am mainly a PC gamer, the ps5 will surely have a place inside my tv cabinet. That tempest engine looks very interesting. Curious on the console's look though.
I am also curious to see what impact it has on the upcoming PC GPUs since normally they have a pretty good jump when a new gen comes. AMD seems it can only go up from here so Navi 2x should be good.

ArcaneNLSC

I made these for the thread if you wanted to use
Toq4RlA.jpg

V8g7p4u.jpg

gGSGV5K.jpg

c1VVvCa.jpg

IzXbW2a.jpg

tosghJf.jpg

SiHmIy1.jpg

aWjBVyN.jpg

T6cxmoq.jpg

pFPAclm.jpg

Srkit8V.jpg

fmhPycN.jpg

8TqN8hw.jpg

trXH0tI.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, is not. This video was already discussed in next gen thread. Apple vs oranges. Move on.

No its not apples to oranges.

Just because its RDNA2, it does not mean 3rd party games will perform vastly different to the examples given here.

Bottom line is increasing clocks does not improve performance more then what the Tflops suggest.
Its right there in the video theres no denying it.

Another way to put it, if Amd release a RDNA2 pc gpu with 40cus @ 1955mhz , i am very confident it will perform almost the same as the PS5.

Last edited:

Fake

No its not apples to oranges.

Just because its RDNA2, it does not mean 3rd party games will perform vastly different to the examples given here.

Bottom line is increasing clocks does not improve performance more then what the Tflops suggest.
Is apple vs orange because is RDNA 1 vs RDNA 2. Is a PC GPU vs a custom made GPU. OC vs variable clock.
The only guy denying here is you. Actually, you're even going beyond and ignoring Cerny info about that case.

Sosokrates

Is apple vs orange because is RDNA 1 vs RDNA 2. Is a PC GPU vs a custom made GPU. OC vs variable clock.
The only guy denying here is you. Actually, you're even going beyond and ignoring Cerny info about that case.

The 5700 will still hit the overclock of 2150mhz otherwise it would not perform on par with the 5700XT, the benifits of a higher clock cerny was talking about would still benefit any GPU thats clocked higher its not some unique feature of the PS5s GPU, however in real world testing does not show a performance increase.

A 10tflop RDNA2 PC GPU will perform as well as the PS5, providing they have the same bandwidth.

When the ps5 and rdna2 gpus are out benchmarks will show this.

Last edited:

Fake

The 5700 will still hit the overclock of 2150mhz otherwise it would not perform on par with the 5700XT, the benifits of a higher clock cerny was talking about would still benefit any GPU thats clocked higher its not some unique feature of the PS5s GPU, however in real world testing bot does not show a performance increase.

A 10tflop RDNA2 PC GPU will perform as well as the PS5, providing they have the same bandwidth.

When the ps5 and rdna2 gpus are out benchmarks will show this.

Keep the good fight.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Keep the good fight.

You post that like it proves what I say is not true, but it doesn't.
Anyway, I dont mind when everything releases benchmarks will show me to be correct.

Kenpachii

Wired article 2019

Makes sense, the load speed wasn't impressive for the SSD they got in that box. I wouldn't be shocked if a simple sata 3 ssd could do that.

Sosokrates

Lets make this clear just in case you missed:
PC benchmarks don't means shit for console. Consoles have a dedicated gaming API unlike PC.

So your saying if an rdna2 pc GPU that is clocked about 1950mhz with 40cus , if it performs roughly the same as a PS5, Cerny is still correct in saying higher clockspeeds will result in more performance even if tflops are about the same?

Fake

So your saying if an rdna2 pc GPU that is clocked about 1950mhz with 40cus , if it performs roughly the same as a PS5, Cerny is still correct in saying higher clockspeeds will result in more performance even if tflops are about the same?
You only need to know I believe more on Cerny in this departament than you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

This video is a good indication the clockspeed will not give better performance despite what cerny says.

Aren’t there tons of other threads even better for these drive-by’s than PS5’s OT? It is not that “investigate item people are excited about and try to put it down” is a new and under explored angle... but I have no authority on the matter nor I aim to create a safe space here, so 🤷‍♂️ ...

Last edited:

joe_zazen

im starting to appreciate the drip feed of news instead of 1 or 2 massive events

lol, yeah. Idk if it Stockholm syndrom, or just the fact that I get bored if there is too much time between knowing everything and actual release date. I think it is the latter as I like having things to look forward to.

I think I’d be fine with one cool thing per month until their big reveal. And I’d be happy if that wasn't until 2 months before release as with the switch...so maybe end of august i guess.

An ancient little village is nestled high up in the mountains and is covered in snow for most of the year. Even though it's harsh, the villagers love their home, and make use of skies and snowshoes to more easily get around. One day a helpful stranger comes to town and says he can make their travel to nearby villages faster with a road and a snowplow to keep it free of snow.

The road is build and the villagers rejoice, but to their dismay they discover that their travel times have not been reduced. Thinking they have been conned, they confront the stranger. He gently replies that of course their travel won't be faster if they use their skies and snowshoes on the road.

Using profiling of RDNA 1 to determine the performance of RDNA 2 + Sony's specific enhancements is like trying to use skies on a road and wondering why you can't go faster. RDNA 2 and the games that run on it likely will benefit more from a boost in frequency than its RDNA 1 counterparts. As an example of why this could be true is that RDNA 2 has a fully modifiable geometry engine that allows it to cut vertices early in the pipeline if it's determined they aren't needed. That can provide a nice boost to performance, but it's not a free lunch. It takes time to do the calculations to decide if a vertex should be discarded.

Sometimes the time needed to do the calculations is more than the time you'd save, so it makes little sense to do the check. This would be true of geometry made up of lots of little triangles, like next gen games likely will be, instead of fewer big ones. Sure you might be able to remove a tiny triangle, but it wasn't producing many pixels on the final display anyway.

A higher GPU frequency would allow more calculations to be hidden behind the slow access to main memory. Thus a higher frequency with RDNA 2 could make culling more of those tiny triangles worth doing. Profiling RDNA 1 with older games would show none of that. RDNA 1 doesn't have the geometry engine to cull triangles, and older games would use less dense world geometry. It's skies on a road.

Another difference in the architectures affected by frequency could be the PS5's extra processing of its cache so its data isn't unnecessarily flushed. That means the PS5 will get more hits on its much faster cache versus having to go to main memory. That will allow the PS5's GPU make better use of a higher clock frequency than an architecture that had to wait more often on data from slower main memory.

So no, the number of compute units and TFLOPs are not the entire story because different architectures have different advantages and bottlenecks. TFLOPs are a measure of potential computational work. Many things can interfere with that potential, and other things can influence how efficient those TFLOPs are used to draw a frame. All of that matters.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

This video is a good indication the clockspeed will not give better performance despite what cerny says.

Cerny is lying
SosoKrates 11/04/2020

How many times do you guys have to post this poor comparison of the customized RDNA2 PS5 GPU, to RDNA1 pc cards to flame threads?

There is a fairly recent thread talking precisely about this!... and with a very elaborate opinion and explanation on the subject by the OP:

i see you already there warring :

The same idiots that think the xsx ssd is "underpowered" compared to the PS5.

... why didn't you (instead of the above shit post) post this video there and discuss it with the OP that has actual tech knowledge of the matter?

I hope the touchpad is really used by game devs this time around in creative ways. Days Gone had some kind of that creative spin in integrating it for menu controls, and not just map but also map zoom in and control a la iPhone pinch moves. I am open to the idea that it can be removed and changed with a touch screen attachment just like the back button one with a small price tag. Adding to the official controller with add ons and attachments are cool as long as they are optional and on the cheap side unlike the Elite controller approach.

Also I believe the bottom of DualSense will have back buttons already in place without an attachment as it will become the standard going forward. That's why we haven't shown the bottom or back however you call it. There was a patent getting air time here about wireless charging and I would be blown away if it does indeed have that as standard but not that hopeful on that part.

I'm playing through Persona 5 right now and it made me realise that SSD might be possibly biggest game changer we have seen in years in gaming.
Like 2/3 of the game is travelling to various new meeting points to talk with people and increase your social rank with them or showing small cutscenes and each one of them have noticeable load masked by various small things.
If you could cut them down to just a second or two there's so many of them in game that it would save you several hours of real life time.

Also dual sense looks cool but I so wish they went with classic playstation grey as basic colour.

I’m a little confused about the “white controller is gonna get dirty easily” comments. Saw it on here after the reveal, just heard Angry Joe say it this morning.

I played MLB The Show for about 5 hours straight last night and Tales of Vesperia for an hour this morning

This is what my DS4 looks like, no cleaning or anything

PJYn8gJ.jpg

4Fdk0WK.jpg

As long as people just wash their hands like normal people do and don’t eat Cheetos while handling a controller, you should probably be fine?

I love my white controllers

I use this for PC

lUshvuR.jpg

I can’t remember ever having an issue with them getting dirty like crazy

LordOfChaos

I was curious about this...Tempest engine is capable of generic compute. Matrix multiplication doesn't care what it's multiplying for. Like an SPU of course, there's no cache, so it's only good for so much...But if studios had some SPU code lying around for accelerating certain functions that went unused in the 8th gen, we could see some novel uses of Tempest for non-Audio compute. Or more likely just write something new for it if a highly streamlined algorithm needs some help.

They say it's around 100Gflops which is nearly the entire SIMD capability of all of Jaguar in the PS4, that ain't nothing, if a dev isn't maxing out Tempest for audio may as well use it.

Last edited:

SonGoku

This comparison is misleading since the 5700 frequency is hitting diminishing returns by pushing frequencies beyond the silicon sweetspot: logic timing, power delivery and bandwidth
A proper comparison would have both cards run at lower clocks to eliminate variables

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wonderful post, bitbydeath bitbydeath . You only missed mentioning that the Tempest engine is GPU-based compute unit, which can provide true real-time audio "raytracing" (with or without main GPU RT is to be seen) for hundreds of sound sources, with maximum of 5,000 sound sources.

bitbydeath

Wonderful post, bitbydeath bitbydeath . You only missed mentioning that the Tempest engine is GPU-based compute unit, which can provide true real-time audio "raytracing" (with or without main GPU RT is to be seen) for hundreds of sound sources, with maximum of 5,000 sound sources.

Thanks, do you have a specific link in mind I could use as a reference?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sure, here:

Sony is calling this innovation the Tempest 3D Audio Tech, which Cerny says "suggests a certain intensity of experience and also hints at your presence." The "tempest engine" is based on AMD's GPU technology, and is built around SPU-like architecture, which is not dissimilar to the PS3.

Also mentioned in the Road to PS5 in details.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Here as well:

Now, of course, not every game is going to have super complex audio sampling and rendering, and for those games, Cerny says the Tempest 3D Audio Engine can be used as an extra processor for certain types of calculations.

"Where we ended up is a unit with roughly the same SIMD power and bandwidth as all eight Jaguar cores in the PS4 combined," Mark Cerny reveals in his presentation.

"If we were to use the same algorithms as PSVR, that's enough for something like five thousand sound sources - but of course we want to use more complex algorithms, and we don't need anything like that number of sounds."

spectyre

I really hope there aren't any rounded edges like that in the PS5's design. Rounded corners are so unaesthetic. The newer PS4 is so ugly compared to the OG.

The new Xbox design really does look beautiful. I hope the PS5 can look as good as that, but going by what all these fan designs are like I think I may be in the minority.

I came across this mock up and while I agree with the first post, I would rub this on my junk.

06Cp0dA.jpg

mekes

I’m a little confused about the “white controller is gonna get dirty easily” comments. Saw it on here after the reveal, just heard Angry Joe say it this morning.

I played MLB The Show for about 5 hours straight last night and Tales of Vesperia for an hour this morning

This is what my DS4 looks like, no cleaning or anything

PJYn8gJ.jpg

4Fdk0WK.jpg

As long as people just wash their hands like normal people do and don’t eat Cheetos while handling a controller, you should probably be fine?

I love my white controllers

I use this for PC

lUshvuR.jpg

I can’t remember ever having an issue with them getting dirty like crazy

Honestly, I think it depends on the grade of plastic used for the finish which determines the likelihood of oil transferring from your hand to the controller surface. Old school 360 controllers we’re somewhat gritty for want of a better description and could get dirty quite easily compared to DualShock 4’s with similar colour. They would also discolour easily in a smokers home which I saw with some friends consoles. But it’s something I would at least hope designers would be more mindful of now.

bitbydeath

Sure, here:

Sony is calling this innovation the Tempest 3D Audio Tech, which Cerny says "suggests a certain intensity of experience and also hints at your presence." The "tempest engine" is based on AMD's GPU technology, and is built around SPU-like architecture, which is not dissimilar to the PS3.

Also mentioned in the Road to PS5 in details.

Thanks, updated the OP with both quotes and links, let me know if anything looks off.

Top Bottom