• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 sales below expectations.

nial

Gold Member
>raise prices
>forgo exclusivity
>invest everything on GaaS
>abandon Japan
>release two first party games a year

Gee, who could have seen this coming?
>reddit frog pfp
>le funny greentext twitter take

Last edited:
Wow I didn't think it was that bad. Hopefully they'll have games to make people want to get one.

MS should raise due to the purchase of studios / publishers.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

PS4 was easily my favorite platform last gen. But Jimbo's only been giving off bad vibes since he took over and I don't own PS5 because it is so amazing, but because the other options to play modern games are even less appealing. Killing off Japan Studios for woke dad simulators, then killing off those too for GaaS trash, price increases, wasting resources on PC ports, still treating Playstation legacy content like a redheaded stepchild - Jimbo sucks, bring back the PS4 crew. I miss Layden, Boyes, Shu...

Clearly the PS5 is a successful product and I like it enough, but I'm glad it's not doing as well as the new leadership had planned.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Probably tight..

Now, the question is why... how does one become so devoted to a corporation?

Tied to memories:

Sony Walkman in the 1990's (I'm not old enough to speak much about the 1980's). My dad had a massive, wonderful Sony sound system at home in the 1990's. PS1-PS5 since 1997. Sony phones 2005-present (introduction to photography, especially with the legendary C905 that had so much character). Sony cameras 2020-present (this one is extremely important). Sony headphones. Sony games (highest quality in the industry). Sony TV's (consistent updates, pristine image quality and color accuracy for years).

Everything I remember about Sony has some sort of satisfaction and joy in it, but I always go for what's best, not what's Sony in general. Sony just happens to make so many wonderful products.

Last edited:

Masterri

>reddit frog pfp
>le funny greentext twitter take
Speaking of avatars, I do miss the time when Sony made games like Vib-Ribbon.
And I often wonder how can people from the PS1 generation be happy about the current situation.

nial

Gold Member
Speaking of avatars, I do miss the time when Sony made games like Vib-Ribbon.
And I often wonder how can people from the PS1 generation be happy about the current situation.
There are many factors as to why they never made another Vibri game (Vib-Ripple being a huge flop is one of them). And then the industry as a whole used to be a lot more creative and experimental back in the SAT/PS1/N64 days, it's not really unique to Sony (Nintendo, Capcom, SEGA, Bandai/Namco, Square/Enix and Konami suffer from the same thing). Anyway, I find both their previous and current output to be good, so...

HawarMiran

Banned
I usually don't entertain conspiracy theories, but I would totally believe if someone told me Microsoft is paying journalists to make Sony look slacking :messenger_alien:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They have insanely high expectations IMO.

But their unit sales might at least come really close to that 25 million w/ that price drop. Price drops are inevitable in the high end console space.

This has been the worst console gen in the past several decades. It's sad when Demons Souls is still the top PS5 exclusive, and that was a launch game.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Ratchet & Clank and Returnal are the only two games that feel improved over the PS4. Between Sony having every game be cross-gen and the Xbox Series S, we got royally screwed.

The best thing about the PS5 is playing PS4 games at 60fps.

simpatico

There are just so few games to take advantage of the muscle. For normies fighting inflation, $500 is a tough ask for a few extra frames in games they're mostly able to play on their PS4. I've been able to hold off on updating my PC because of it. At this point I might as well wait until I can't play the games I want to play.

demigod

They still plan to hit their internal yearly expectation of 25 mil. units sold by the end of the fiscal year.

They also seem to allude to some internal studio delays that contributed to poorer results. TLOU2 Factions was expected, so that would’ve helped, not sure what else.

The first 2 quarters weren’t helped by much next-gen only software either outside of Star Wars Jedi Survivor & **redacted** (not going to name the other). FF16 just came out though.
So is Baldur’s Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, MK1, Alan Wake 2, NBA 2K24, Lords of the Fallen, Avatar, Helldivers 2 & FF7 Rebirth: All games with good next-gen only stuff, so they should hit that goal fairly easily.
Did you seriously remove Hogwarts? This isn’t retardera.

I bought one for GranBlue Fantasy Relink, and here it is the third quarter of 2023 and still no release date. FFXVI was disappointing and the only real use I get out of my PS5 right now is PS4 bc. For $500 I expected more at this point.

I've had every PS system with the exception of PSP, so I get the brand worship just based on the history, but currently they are not delivering the goods, so I don't understand the ardent defense from modern criticisms. You can't continue to live off past exploits.

I bought one for GranBlue Fantasy Relink, and here it is the third quarter of 2023 and still no release date. FFXVI was disappointing and the only real use I get out of my PS5 right now is PS4 bc. For $500 I expected more at this point.

I've had every PS system with the exception of PSP, so I get the brand worship just based on the history, but currently they are not delivering the goods, so I don't understand the ardent defense from modern criticisms. You can't continue to live off past exploits.

All I do is play games and watch movies on mine.

Easy peasy.

I use the Series X as my entertainment center. The UI is faster and has more utility for me, with apps like Amazon Music, which last time I checked wasn't available on PS5 just like Dolby Vision for some odd reason. I really wish PS5 had more exclusive content at this time.

That's fine but I'm not going to buy a Series X for barely any improvement. If it was massively better then I wouldn't even own a PS5. The PS5 has other benefits for me.

But that's just me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spiderman 2 will improve sales but the honest truth is this new console gen has been very disappointing.

For these past 3 years, if you never upgraded to a PS5 or Xbox series you didn’t really miss out because most of the big games have been cross gen.
Like you said the cross generation games gives people a discount automatically one of the biggest flaws from Sony is continuing the previous generation they need to run their product like other businesses car and phone companies don’t care about previous generations.

SkylineRKR

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Ratchet & Clank and Returnal are the only two games that feel improved over the PS4. Between Sony having every game be cross-gen and the Xbox Series S, we got royally screwed.

The best thing about the PS5 is playing PS4 games at 60fps.

Which makes PS5 instantly better than the PS4. Not to mention the shorter load times and silent hardware.

If you're looking for next-gen only experiences, I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns. Even the exclusive games aren't much more impressive than souped up PS4 games and this will likely stay that way. The real improvement is the access times which means you win time to game, which is rather great and its impossible to back to something like TW3 on PS4.

Nubulax

Which makes PS5 instantly better than the PS4. Not to mention the shorter load times and silent hardware.

If you're looking for next-gen only experiences, I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns. Even the exclusive games aren't much more impressive than souped up PS4 games and this will likely stay that way. The real improvement is the access times which means you win time to game, which is rather great and its impossible to back to something like TW3 on PS4.
Also the dualsense controller which makes the PS4 controller feel like a cheap toy

Raonak

Banned
PS5 is probably sony's best console experience. They completely nailed the hardware in all levels.
OS is fast, controller is fantastic, the console is well built and powerful, there's no weird hardware issues, failure rates are non-existent, game IQ is insane.

I think the games lineup has been pretty damn good, demons souls, miles and astrobot as launch games.
And overall, the first 3 years of the PS5 is better definitely better than the first 3 years of the PS4 (uncharted 4 releasing in 2016 is when it finally started getting software momentum)

smbu2000

Let the numbers speaks for themselves:

Time aligned
PS5 41.7 m
NSW 41.67 m
PS2 41.56 m

First Half
2023 PS5 9.6 m
2002 PS2 8.28 m

CY 2002
PS2 24.60 m
The PS2 launched first in Japan in March 2000. It then launched in the USA October 2000 and in the EU in November of 2000. Does that time aligned number include sales from all of those countries for the same amount of months that the PS5 has been available or is it simply from JP launch? If so then it is kind of unfair to the PS2 as it will only have JP sales for the first few months it was available.

This will possibly be the first year the PS5 will have any decent deals for Black Friday.

Going back to the PS4 (launch price of $399) we had:
- 2014: GTAV Bundle for $399
- 2015: Uncharted Collection Bundle for $299

The PS5 in Comparison after launch:
- 2021: Very low stock at normal price
- 2022: GOW Bundle decent stock for $559.

I think it will be time to see a decent bundle for this BF.

Top Bottom